Rant VIII: The Reckoning

We have to get rid of our tiny puppy (who isn't so tiny anymore). He's turning vicious faster than we can train it out of him, and becoming possessive of us to the point of driving our other animals away and even hurting them. So, we're going to have to get ahold (I swear to god that used to be a word) of the adoption agency where we got Luca and surrender Cody. Then, we'll need to make sure we take Luca with us to meet any potential new dogs, to make sure we don't have this problem again.

Dave

Staff member
So we moved in a couple weeks ago and we're about 1/2 way unpacked due to the small size of the place. I get a letter in the mail today from the landlords - they are selling the property. They gave us the name of the new owner and said that he will abide by our current lease. Does that mean we're fucked in a year? God damn it. We were just getting stable again and now this.

Dave

Staff member
The letter the neighbors got said the guy he sold it to was wanting to buy it for "an investment property", which says to me that in a year either the rent is going to go sky high or he's going to flip it. Mother fucker.

At least you have almost a full years notice to look for another place. Not to mention, I'm sure he'd be happy to let you out of your lease whenever you want if you find a new place sooner.

Work closed down accounting in a satellite office, and now we took it on. This means I am now handling all the A/P work of that office as well. It wouldn't be so bad, but the other office is dumb and makes a lot of mistakes, probably 20% or more of what anyone else does in comparable volume. Even though we are not at peak season, it's crazy right now, and I'm barely keeping up. On top of this, I'm being given extra duties on the 1st of the month, already one of my busiest days.

I love that I'm being given extra duties and am trusted to learn new things, but right now I'm feeling like I am working a whole lot for someone who isn't salary. I'm worried I won't be able to keep up soon.

At least you have almost a full years notice to look for another place. Not to mention, I'm sure he'd be happy to let you out of your lease whenever you want if you find a new place sooner.
You could even hint that it might be to his advantage to... buy you out of your current contract if you find another place sooner. Then he'd be able to renovate sooner and not have you hanging underfoot.

Dave

Staff member
I - and my boss - were asked by the university's second in command if we were going to be here on Friday. Why do I have the feeling this is not a good thing?

I - and my boss - were asked by the university's second in command if we were going to be here on Friday. Why do I have the feeling this is not a good thing?
There is always still the possibility that there's just a massive org change coming/completing and they want everyone to be there when they finally classify everyone's roles for this iteration. I don't know how big your university is, but WSU loved their org changes.

The owner of the condo we rent, sold it. Instead of having until Jan to find a place, they want us out before July. Fuck. I hate renting and moving.

I have to move this weekend and it's supposed to rain. The move is by choice and really more of a whine than a rant, but I feel that it's thematically consistent.

I'm 30. I've moved 20 times. No more. I don't even really like where we are now much but I don't care. I hate moving more.

I'm 30. I've moved 20 times. No more. I don't even really like where we are now much but I don't care. I hate moving more.
Oh good, I still have a thong I need to send you. The first time I tried I used an old address and it was returned.

Wish I had a choice. We've moved once by our own choice.
Much of them were when I was too young to have a choice or when we first moved to BC and family was still relying on one another to be able to afford a place. Or same as your situation here, landlord is selling and we have to go.

Hasn't been nearly as many since Sarah and I have been on our own.
Oh good, I still have a thong I need to send you. The first time I tried I used an old address and it was returned.
Ah my bad! Will pm!

Did his thong come with a coffee cup too? I have a Halforum coffee mug and a thong, and I know I didn't order a thong.

Did his thong come with a coffee cup too? I have a Halforum coffee mug and a thong, and I know I didn't order a thong.
No. I can't find the original post but he drew the :Leyla: and I jokingly suggested people chip in to buy him a thong with it. A few did paypal me some money, so I had one made, but only made one lame attempt to mail it, and have failed to deliver it.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I had a super shitty day. I went in for what was meant to be my first day back in years after disability and I was told to go home because they weren’t ready for me. Not only were they not ready for me, no one had told them that I was coming. Locally or at head office.

I had warned my insurance rep that they weren’t going to be ready and she was insistent that I go in. I tried so hard to explain and she either didn’t understand or didn’t care.

When I spoke to administration, they sent me home because I can’t be there without certain security meansures in place etc.

It was such a clusterfuck. I got all dressed up, did my hair and makeup and I got sent home.

At least my insurance rep understands now and she did apologize profusely.

I wasted my morning there and wasted my afternoon trying to sort all this out with the insurance company. I may start next week, I may not.

I can’t even drink :(

Who wants to drink for me?

All this talk about having to move, and I have a slightly weirder story to share. Last night when I got home I found a notice posted on our apartment building's bulletin board.

"This building will be demolished between May 17 and June 1. Please do not go near the building during this process."

I WTF'd pretty hard at that, because May 17 would be today (ie, the next day). So I asked the security guard what's going on. He said it's actually the building next to ours that's getting torn down, and they wanted to notify the residents in the apartment buildings nearby, except the person responsible for notifying people couldn't be arsed to make new notification flyers, so he just made copies of the flyer they posted on their own soon-to-be-demolished building and posted them around the block.

And here we have about ten available trailers in my mobile home park... Of course, only Dave's old enough to rent one outright, but... ;)

I had a super shitty day. I went in for what was meant to be my first day back in years after disability and I was told to go home because they weren’t ready for me. Not only were they not ready for me, no one had told them that I was coming. Locally or at head office.

I had warned my insurance rep that they weren’t going to be ready and she was insistent that I go in. I tried so hard to explain and she either didn’t understand or didn’t care.

When I spoke to administration, they sent me home because I can’t be there without certain security meansures in place etc.

It was such a clusterfuck. I got all dressed up, did my hair and makeup and I got sent home.

At least my insurance rep understands now and she did apologize profusely.

I wasted my morning there and wasted my afternoon trying to sort all this out with the insurance company. I may start next week, I may not.

I can’t even drink :(

Who wants to drink for me?
I'll take a hit for ya'. I'm sorry, that sounds super frustrating (and worse).

Since we have to leave before our lease is up, and coming up with a security deposit isn't easy, we asked to get our deposit for our current place in full. They're being dicks about.
"We're considering giving you 2.5 months notice." Oh how magnanimous of you. We are humbled by your generosity. :pud:

So, we had performance evaluations recently.
As is usual, my boss gave me high marks (mostly 5's on a scale of 1 to 5) on all metrics. Unusually, this year, his boss (the owner of the company) said "Everyone's a 3 unless you can prove otherwise", so I had to write up a document outlining how I actually exceeded in every metric they were asking for on the evaluations.

I felt so great about it, I bought myself a new mug to drink coffee out of at work.

coffee.jpg

We have to get rid of our tiny puppy (who isn't so tiny anymore). He's turning vicious faster than we can train it out of him, and becoming possessive of us to the point of driving our other animals away and even hurting them. So, we're going to have to get ahold (I swear to god that used to be a word) of the adoption agency where we got Luca and surrender Cody. Then, we'll need to make sure we take Luca with us to meet any potential new dogs, to make sure we don't have this problem again.
I should update this. We are prepared to surrender the puppy to a no-kill shelter if he doesn't respond to slightly-sterner training from my wife, who doesn't have to worry about PTSD. So far, he's responding well.

Say what you want, but there are times when a sterner hand IS what’s needed. Some dogs will really, really want to gun for the position of alpha in your “pack,” and if that’s the case, you will have to explain to them in no uncertain terms that that won’t happen, ain’t gonna ever happen.

—Patrick

Say what you want, but there are times when a sterner hand IS what’s needed. Some dogs will really, really want to gun for the position of alpha in your “pack,” and if that’s the case, you will have to explain to them in no uncertain terms that that won’t happen, ain’t gonna ever happen.

—Patrick
We knew that was all he needed, we just didn't feel we would be able to provide it. Turns out, we are.