Rant VIII: The Reckoning

GasBandit

Staff member
"Other people lie, and your rolemodels (parents, teachers) behave spitefully as a result. Innocent bystanders may be harmed."

A+ life lesson.
Your dreams will be dashed, your hopes will be crushed, whatever you have that is worthwhile will be clawed away from you, and basically you are just an organic pain collector sliding down entropy's slope toward death and, hopefully, oblivion.

Come in this morning, find the girl scowling at me and my admin saying she's Parents are apparently raising hell and calling me a liar (what in the fuck do I get out of lying, exactly?)
Good thing you can pull the surveillance footage to back you up, right?

--Patrick

No, I figured the district would have installed CCTV to catch cheaters or people plotting massacres or teacher/student shenanigans or the like. It sounds like a thing a worried board might do.

--Patrick
You forgot that every school board in the country is looking to spend as little as possible. They want to install a CCTV system, I'm sure, but they won't spend more than $5 on it.

It's hard not to get down and a bit punchy when everything that goes on in other departments is treated like it's your fault. The bar closed early because of no customers? My fault. Breakfast supplies are low? My fault. Housekeeping didn't do your room after you suddenly decided to stay an extra night after they all went home? My fault.

It's looking like an EVERYONE IN THE WHOLE WORLD CAN JUST FUCK RIGHT THE FUCK OFF kind of night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I did exactly what I was supposed to do exactly the way I was told to do it because the person actually responsible couldn't be bothered to do their job for over a week, do not call what I did an ERROR. The numbers I was told to use were the only ones provided to me, and I used them. It's not my fault they were incorrect. Call it a correction. Call it an adjustment. But do NOT call it an error. Because the only name attached to those original postings is mine. And *I* did my due diligence when the other person did NOT.

Filming students without explicit written permission is grounds for termination, and many parents refuse to give permission.
How about audio-only? It's not like there's any reasonable expectation of privacy.
(yes, I know...it's all perfectly legal, but there may still be a policy against it)

--Patrick

How about audio-only? It's not like there's any reasonable expectation of privacy.
(yes, I know...it's all perfectly legal, but there may still be a policy against it)

--Patrick
Not sure. Though in the scenario that inspired my rant earlier, the student made an obscene gesture in class which an audio recording would not have caught. So the value in this particular example would be nonexistent.

EDIT: Oh! That reminds me, I wanted to add an update!

After doggedly sticking to her lie with the administrator that I was lying or making this all up, the student was allowed to go back to class. Then, in the hallways during lunch, that same admin saw the same girl doing the exact same obscene gesture to her friends. I swear, I can't make this shit up. So... she got suspended for a day as punishment for the gesture AND lying. Her mother also dropped her crusade against me upon hearing my admin's eye witness account.

Sometimes you just gotta give students enough rope to hang themselves.

Last edited:
man i thought it was more serious than THAT, thats almost hilarious that everyone is playing games over it.
Oh, that was the ironic part. This would have been almost boring to deal with if she hadn't accused me of lying. She would have been sent to the office, had a counselor talk to her about appropriate behavior (while subtly probing for any kind of sexual abuse), and then she would be on her way. It's not exactly uncommon amongst the middle school crowd.

There's a lady in her 50's in my lab that is so fucking computer illiterate, and it makes me fucking angry. I've stopped helping her because she flat out refuses to learn how to do this shit on her own, and claims she's too old to learn it. What is too hard for this asshole? Installing Firefox. Fuck you. Stop using computers and retire you ignorant jackass. I told her to call IT. I'll be the lab's IT guy if it's a legitimate problem and/or you did the bare minimum (google it for fuck's sake). Ridiculous.

There's a lady in her 50's in my lab that is so fucking computer illiterate, and it makes me fucking angry. I've stopped helping her because she flat out refuses to learn how to do this shit on her own, and claims she's too old to learn it. What is too hard for this asshole? Installing Firefox. Fuck you. Stop using computers and retire you ignorant jackass. I told her to call IT. I'll be the lab's IT guy if it's a legitimate problem and/or you did the bare minimum (google it for fuck's sake). Ridiculous.
I can't stand when people my age don't know the basic shit about computers. BY GOD, YOU WERE THE GENERATION THAT MADE THIS SHIT! Not only that, she has worked with computers for over 25 years.

Dave

Staff member
In her 50's? That's just dumb. She's basically MY age! Hell, look at @Grytpipe-Thynne!