Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Super duper broke. Not sure how we're going to make it to payday. Only worried about gas and food. And it's our own fault. We spent some money that we normally wouldn't have, and then an unexpected expense came up and fucked us. Once we got to payday on the 1st we'll be fine, but it's going to be a hungry 2 weeks.
thats why i am super thankful for weekly paydays at my current job.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Beans and rice are cheap.
Brought leftovers from home for lunch today. I got halfway through before I realized the bread that I put it in was moldy. Threw the bread away and ate tuna salad all by itself.

And I'll be buying beans and rice, using whatever else is around the house. We also still have ramen. Bachelor chow FTW.

Super duper broke. Not sure how we're going to make it to payday. Only worried about gas and food. And it's our own fault. We spent some money that we normally wouldn't have, and then an unexpected expense came up and fucked us. Once we got to payday on the 1st we'll be fine, but it's going to be a hungry 2 weeks.
I know that feel. My account has .37 in it. Payday is tomorrow for me though, thank god.

I know that feel. My account has .37 in it. Payday is tomorrow for me though, thank god.
Went into last Thursday evening with $35 left in the bank, but leftover pizza and plenty of stuff to cook over the weekend to get me through to the end of vacation. You know the rest. Payday is Friday, and I made damn sure they count last week as PAID vacation.

I've been there plenty. Lately we've had enough buffer that we can take a few unexpected punches. Keeping that buffer is hard, but it's not as hard as it would be to try to recover from those punches without it.

--Patrick

Looks like I'm pretty much stuck at current job position until October 2017. The destruction of the civil service system in Wisconsin means that transferring to another job position in the state service is like taking a job at Wal-Mart.

Looks like I'm pretty much stuck at current job position until October 2017. The destruction of the civil service system in Wisconsin means that transferring to another job position in the state service is like taking a job at Wal-Mart.
Do they make you do the cheer and everything? That would be the worst.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
The plan next week is to buy all my new parts to upgrade my computer for the Vive. The upgrade will be about $1000 and the Vive $800. This is a major purchase. And now it may not happen. Why? Because the 1080 AND 1070 GTX cards are sold out everywhere. And without the card upgrade, nothing else would work. Oh, I could upgrade my power supply and mobo - which I'm going to do anyway - but without the video card the rest just falls apart.[DOUBLEPOST=1466781105,1466781014][/DOUBLEPOST]Watching this site like a hawk. Well, starting July 1.

GasBandit

Staff member
The plan next week is to buy all my new parts to upgrade my computer for the Vive. The upgrade will be about $1000 and the Vive $800. This is a major purchase. And now it may not happen. Why? Because the 1080 AND 1070 GTX cards are sold out everywhere. And without the card upgrade, nothing else would work. Oh, I could upgrade my power supply and mobo - which I'm going to do anyway - but without the video card the rest just falls apart.[DOUBLEPOST=1466781105,1466781014][/DOUBLEPOST]Watching this site like a hawk. Well, starting July 1.
Dave, I love ya like a brother but I'm nearly biting my tongue off here.

Dave

Staff member
Dave, I love ya like a brother but I'm nearly biting my tongue off here.
Go ahead. I know it's an extravagant expense but with my bonus I have to do these things in lumps. And yes, this is after I pay all my bills and buy the wife some furniture.

Nothing wrong with getting the rest of the system together first, even if you have to wait 4 months for the video card.
Heck, my systems usually don't reach their final form for 2 years or more.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Nothing wrong with getting the rest of the system together first, even if you have to wait 4 months for the video card.
Heck, my systems usually don't reach their final form for 2 years or more.

--Patrick
Or putting the whole thing off a year to build an emergency buffer, first.

I'm still gaming perfectly well at 1080p/60fps on a computer built in 2013, with a $200 video card.

Dave

Staff member
Or putting the whole thing off a year to build an emergency buffer, first.

I'm still gaming perfectly well at 1080p/60fps on a computer built in 2013, with a $200 video card.
But not VR. And I know exactly what would happen. This would come up or that would come up and I'd never upgrade. It's a matter of doing it while I can.

GasBandit

Staff member
But not VR. And I know exactly what would happen. This would come up or that would come up and I'd never upgrade. It's a matter of doing it while I can.
Honestly, VR has been looking more and more to me like a flash-in-the-pan. I worry that, if I get a VR headset, in a couple years it'll be over there in the corner gathering dust with my guitar hero controller.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think it's the future of gaming. Hell, SKYRIM in VR?!? Are you kidding me?
Gonna break your neck, mark my words. A lot of people never consider how much of a pain in the ass it is to try and look around behind them, sitting in an office chair.

Brought leftovers from home for lunch today. I got halfway through before I realized the bread that I put it in was moldy. Threw the bread away and ate tuna salad all by itself.

And I'll be buying beans and rice, using whatever else is around the house. We also still have ramen. Bachelor chow FTW.
Eggs. Oatmeal. Grilled cheese sandwiches and soup. Spaghetti (no meat, instead use onions and other veggies to fill out), baked potatos. This is the easiest way to make cheap meals to last.

Add things to the ramen, too. Veggies go great with basically any flavor.

Also, things like Chuck steak are super cheap and if you cook them right, won't be too tough. Otherwise, mushrooms are a good sub for meat and generally portabellos or plain old white ones are great for pasta (and ramen!).

Ground hamburger is a decent source of meat, though it is quite fatty.
Dark meat chicken/turkey and mackerel can easily fulfill protein needs without beating up your wallet too much.

--Patrick

Last edited:
You'd have to get ground beef at a pretty high fat content to keep it cheap, which actually isn't a bad thing. More fat makes it work great for things like meatloaf.

fade

Staff member
I always wondered how they'd handle full holodeck style VR when it comes to physical skills that are beyond you. Like holodeck Skyrim for example. I can pick up a broadsword but what if I'm no good at swinging it even though my character has a high sword score? Do i wiff the sword a mile wide, followed by the bad guy going "uuuuh [eyes dart back and forth] you got me. Blegh. I am dead."

My Gear VR was fun for about a week, now it gathers dust. I got it for free though, so no big loss. I think it's still a bit early for VR, but it is a cool thing to play with from time to time. I wouldn't pay for it though.

The Brexit is fucking me up royally. bank stock plummeted (the biggest Belgian banks lost 15% and 11%), and they're all hiking their interest rates to compensate this and the "increased insecurity" on the market. Offers from last month that aren't valid anymore offered me rates around 1.40% and 1.90%, now I'm seeing offers from 1.95% to 2.30%. That's a big difference over 25 years. Stupid Brits, couldn't you hold off on voting for a few weeks longer?

The Brexit is fucking me up royally. bank stock plummeted (the biggest Belgian banks lost 15% and 11%), and they're all hiking their interest rates to compensate this and the "increased insecurity" on the market. Offers from last month that aren't valid anymore offered me rates around 1.40% and 1.90%, now I'm seeing offers from 1.95% to 2.30%. That's a big difference over 25 years. Stupid Brits, couldn't you hold off on voting for a few weeks longer?
Yeah, my retirement fund went down $300 yesterday, which isn't as bad as a lot of people will have experienced. It's weird to say I'm glad there isn't much in there.

I always wondered how they'd handle full holodeck style VR when it comes to physical skills that are beyond you. Like holodeck Skyrim for example. I can pick up a broadsword but what if I'm no good at swinging it even though my character has a high sword score? Do i wiff the sword a mile wide, followed by the bad guy going "uuuuh [eyes dart back and forth] you got me. Blegh. I am dead."
I suppose the bad guy would perform a move that "coincidentally" would place him squarely in the path of your whiff.
At least, that's what *I* would do if I'd programmed it.

--Patrick

I suppose the bad guy would perform a move that "coincidentally" would place him squarely in the path of your whiff.
At least, that's what *I* would do if I'd programmed it.

--Patrick
And once I realized that's how the game works, I'd just use my sword like a cursor, clicking on the foe to attack.