Rant VIII: The Reckoning

Well. Now I'm curious. Is it still censored? Michael Trk****[DOUBLEPOST=1446174405,1446174373][/DOUBLEPOST]mwhahaha Free range chicken!

Why do you hate me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got Yahoo! sued once, I read some article about a frivolous lawsuit. Then I put in a comment that the lawyer was an ambulance chaser. The Ambulance Chaser showed up and threatened to sue me. I reiterated that he was an ambulance chaser and then asked him if his diploma came from North Hollywood Upstairs University. Thankfully Yahoo! did not cave to Ambulance Chaser's demands. But they did nuke all the message boards and did not bring them back for many months.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Water magically appeared just above our server vents, inside the server cage. Not from the top of the cage or ceiling - none of the networking equipment or servers above these servers were even damp. Not condensation. No where else in the rack.

Either that or someone decided to carefully pour water into our servers.

I'm trying to be positive here, and trying to think of ways this couldn't be deliberate damage, but I just cannot come up with any other method that the water was placed so specifically and carefully.

I'm not supposed to be dealing with this either. Completely ruined my day.

Even though we spent nearly 10k per server and have a 4 hour response time support contract with Dell, that means nothing if there's water.

I just cannot fathom the mind of someone that would do that.

It also means that the server that went down the previous weekend probably wasn't random either.

Servers still down.

Locks changed.

Still pissed.

:tina:

Posted anonymousely because reasons.

Water magically appeared just above our server vents, inside the server cage. Not from the top of the cage or ceiling - none of the networking equipment or servers above these servers were even damp. Not condensation. No where else in the rack.

Either that or someone decided to carefully pour water into our servers.

I'm trying to be positive here, and trying to think of ways this couldn't be deliberate damage, but I just cannot come up with any other method that the water was placed so specifically and carefully.

I'm not supposed to be dealing with this either. Completely ruined my day.

Even though we spent nearly 10k per server and have a 4 hour response time support contract with Dell, that means nothing if there's water.

I just cannot fathom the mind of someone that would do that.

It also means that the server that went down the previous weekend probably wasn't random either.

Servers still down.

Locks changed.

Still pissed.

:tina:

Posted anonymousely because reasons.
So what are the chances that this is actually sabotage, not just some random act of destruction? Why would anyone do it? Have there been... management issues?

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

So what are the chances that this is actually sabotage, not just some random act of destruction? Why would anyone do it? Have there been... management issues?
It's complicated. The server is in an office we are going to move into in a few months, and the company currently there is shutting down. There may be some disgruntled people over there, and even though we have nothing do to with their parent company's decision to move operations elsewhere, perhaps we make a convenient target.

Still, this is merely rampant speculation.

Dave

Staff member
In light of what's going on, it's almost criminally stupid of your business to have servers unmonitored at a location that is already deemed to be a dangerous one. Or at least a potentially dangerous one.

GasBandit

Staff member
In light of what's going on, it's almost criminally stupid of your business to have servers unmonitored at a location that is already deemed to be a dangerous one. Or at least a potentially dangerous one.
It took our copper being stolen twice at the same location (complete with local sherriff's deputies shrugging at us halfheartedly) before ownership decided to spring for cameras at our remote transmitter shacks.

Edit: just clarifying, I am not the Anon, I am just sharing a story of how upper management can be short sighted and obtuse.

Last edited:
It took our copper being stolen twice at the same location (complete with local sherriff's deputies shrugging at us halfheartedly) before ownership decided to spring for cameras at our remote transmitter shacks.
"Cameras are too expensive."
"Really? How many free 'shipments' of copper will it take to equal the cost of putting in cameras?"
"...um"
"EXACTLY"

--Patrick

Cameras alone aren't enough, though. I know the situation's slightly different in America, but we have railroad work sites we keep 2 agents on 24/7, have cameras all over the place, and copper still gets stolen almost every day - the metal's just too valuable.

GasBandit

Staff member
Cameras alone aren't enough, though. I know the situation's slightly different in America, but we have railroad work sites we keep 2 agents on 24/7, have cameras all over the place, and copper still gets stolen almost every day - the metal's just too valuable.
Still, cameras are better than nothing. We haven't been raided since we got them.

GasBandit

Staff member
Even fake cams (you'd be surprised how many security cameras are empty shells with just a little red LED to make it look real) are better than nothing.
Yeah, we had one of those on our back door for years. It got put there after some equipment walked out said back door. Never had that problem again.

Now there's a real camera there.

AUGH I'm supposed to deposit my Ph.D. dissertation next monday and my advisor hasn't given me feedback in like 4 days, she's now gone to the doctor and she will likely not take a look at my thesis until thursday, or tomorrow afternoon at the earliest, because she's caught up revising her other student's thesis and making him do unimportant* changes.
I feel like it's increasingly likely that I won't have the thesis ready for monday or tuesday, and if I don't it will throw the whole bureaucratic schedule out of whack and I won't be able to defend it by the date we planned and that I have already agreed on with all my tribunal committee. I want to cry right now.

Worst of all is that I've gotten so nervous in the last couple of ours that I'm not even doing the work that I still have left before revisions come in. So double the delay, yay!

*An exageration, but the amount of time spent on some of these changes is absolutely disproportionate

Last edited:
I'm having an anxiety attack. I've never had one before. This sucks.
Eat some chocolate/drink a cup of hot cocoa. The natural chemicals in the chocolate will help even out your brain chemistry a bit, making it all a bit easier to handle. Or really, anything that helps you release endorphin (like working out) can help to. I get these all the time due to my anxiety disorder and usually helps me deal.

Eat some chocolate/drink a cup of hot cocoa. The natural chemicals in the chocolate will help even out your brain chemistry a bit, making it all a bit easier to handle. Or really, anything that helps you release endorphin (like working out) can help do. I get these all the time due to my anxiety disorder and usually helps me deal.
So what you're saying is that a quick walk to the store to buy a king-sized dark chocolate bar might be in order?
...I'm only half joking.

--Patrick

Eat some chocolate/drink a cup of hot cocoa. The natural chemicals in the chocolate will help even out your brain chemistry a bit, making it all a bit easier to handle. Or really, anything that helps you release endorphin (like working out) can help to. I get these all the time due to my anxiety disorder and usually helps me deal.
I'll do that. Thank you, cheri.[DOUBLEPOST=1446657329,1446657293][/DOUBLEPOST]
So what you're saying is that a quick walk to the store to buy a king-sized dark chocolate bar might be in order?
...I'm only half joking.

--Patrick
I would think that chocolate is always in order. :)

...I'm only half joking.

--Patrick
That WOULD be the ideal situation, if @Emrys feels in control of herself enough to do it. It has all the key factors:

- exercise and fresh air to oxygenate the blood
- something to jump start endorphin release
- something to get her mind off the issue

That is legitimately the best kind way to get a bit of a handle on it short of some REALLY strong drugs.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Any video cameras? If not, will you have some very, very soon?
Well apparently the carefully crafted email I sent got a strong reaction. We'll have the security system hooked up to the door and an IP camera installed very soon.

At any rate, two servers are damaged, one to the point that it no longer functions at all. The other we were able to get up and running just enough to run our virtual machines, but, of course, there's a catch-22. The primary domain controller is a physical machine. The data server needs a domain controller before it'll give the virtual servers access to the virtual images needed to run the servers. One of the virtual servers is a secondary domain controller.

So as long as either 1) the primary domain controller (PDC) is running or 2) one of the two virtual servers is running, then we have no problem. If the PDC is down, and the two virtual servers go down, then the only way to bring anything back online is by bringing up the PDC. The domain controller that is virtual does no good, because the virtual servers can't get access to the data server until the domain controller gives them proper credentials.

So even though Monday I was able to cobble together enough of the two broken virtual servers that we could boot one up, it couldn't do anything because the PDC was still down. We had an IT expert coming yesterday to help with the PDC, though, and between the two of us we were able to make that work (marginally) again, boot up the virtual servers, and now we're back up and running, but with almost no redundancy on anything.

In other news, the insurance company is going to see a claim for over $30k for two servers, the various software licenses, service contracts, and installation/configuration to replace the damaged hardware. The software licenses cost more than the hardware they're running on. On the flip side, this means we'll have updated hardware and software, and while MS Server Datacenter 2008 did the job, the IT person who came to help me pick up the pieces indicates that 2012 has significant improvements and shouldn't suffer from the catch-22 we experienced.

I'm not feeling nearly as bad about the whole experience now as I did Monday, and I've learned a lot more about enterprise servers than I expected, most of it interesting and informative.

While we will secure the room further, I'm almost half hoping they'll pick the lock and try again after the camera is up, just so we can press charges.

But I'd rather have working servers and no more headaches than petty revenge...

That WOULD be the ideal situation, if @Emrys feels in control of herself enough to do it. It has all the key factors:

- exercise and fresh air to oxygenate the blood
- something to jump start endorphin release
- something to get her mind off the issue

That is legitimately the best kind way to get a bit of a handle on it short of some REALLY strong drugs.
Thank you so much for the advise yesterday. It helped me get things under control and I'm feeling much better today. Hugs to you. :heart:

Thank you so much for the advise yesterday. It helped me get things under control and I'm feeling much better today. Hugs to you. :heart:
No problem. I have to deal with them all the time so I sort of had to figure it out for myself (and no one should have to do that). Glad it helped though!

Dave

Staff member
I love my mom. I love my mom. I love my mom.

That's what I have to keep telling myself every day I wake up with this fucking dog in the house.

Today's adventure? Poop everywhere. Why? Because he ate something he wasn't supposed to, now I have to pull something out of his ass because shit is stuck and matted by his asshole and he's doing the shit-smearing butt scoot all over our carpets.

Anyone want a loud, cancerous, shit-smearing dog from hell? I'll pay YOU!

It's been awful here. Seriously. 90 F every day. 60% humidity or more. No tradewinds. Vog. Blech. Two more people got bitten by sharks, too. One was at a clothing optional beach, but fortunately it didn't bite his bits.