Rant VII: Now With 25% Less Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Unproven theory. Also, we were told that licking any souvenirs we buy will cause them to crumble.

Aaaand later I learned my then-girlfriend, the Psycho Bitch Queen, had actually bitten a piece off a rocksalt cross I had bought :facepalm:

Unproven theory. Also, we were told that licking any souvenirs we buy will cause them to crumble.

Aaaand later I learned my then-girlfriend, the Psycho Bitch Queen, had actually bitten a piece off a rocksalt cross I had bought :facepalm:
Well her punishment was at least swift and immediate. I mean, that's awful: mouthful of rock salt? Agh.

Oooh, Krakow :) I love that place, spent a week there with my family a couple of years back. If you have a chance, visit the Wawel Castle for some fine architecture and a Renaissance feel. Kazimierz, the old Jewish district, is also worth a walk. And if you have some leeway in your travel plans, visit the Wieliczka salt mines in the Tatra Mountains, about 60 mi. from Krakow. A lot of the hotels organize tours there, and I promise you won't regret it. The huge underground Catholic chapel made entirely out of mineral salt is definitely worth a visit.

Just as long you don't lick the life-size statue of John Paul II. The locals don't like that.

And if there's a special someone... Poland is known for beautiful amber jewelry. Take a look; me, I got me an amber rosary for my clerical roles at the Medieval Market.
The castle and Jewish Quarter are on our list. I would also like to visit Auschwitz because, well, I feel like I should.

Those salt mines look awesome though, I'm going to see if we can fit them in.

The castle and Jewish Quarter are on our list. I would also like to visit Auschwitz because, well, I feel like I should.

Been to the salt mines as well. They are AWESOME!

The town of Wieliczka is pretty sweet to take a gander at too. About an hour north of Krakow is Czestochowa which features Jasna Góra (pretty popular Polish monastery)
You could also swing by and say hello to my parents, lol.

I'm getting a summer student! Because our IT department refuses to take her! She's an IT student!

I work in marketing.

fade

Staff member
Tomorrow is April Fool's, which means it's time for everyone from a country that doesn't celebrate it to whine and complain on every popular blog post or webpage that makes a gag post, instead of just enjoying the joke.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Maus. By Art Spiegelman. A Holocaust narrative about Art's parents, Vladek and Anja Spiegelman, Polish Jews and Holocaust survivors - told in Animal as People mode but nothing cute about it. Parts of it are set in Czestochowa.

A mindblowing read, if you ask me. Take a look if you have the chance.

I went to Auschwitz because some of my relatives died there. It's one of those places that you see once and really never want to see again.

Honestly, after leaving I really just wanted to crawl into bed with a bottle of gin. It was one of the most emotionally crushing experiences of my life.

She's got gallstones and her gall bladder is getting yanked out tomorrow. Despite my best efforts, she's not going to ask to keep it in a jar of formaldehyde.

I tried.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, makare! Hope all goes well with the surgery.

Especially after she gave it the name and everything... I mean how can you resist a starter like "This is Grot. He was my gallbladder. He was full of anger and vitriol, and now he is full of alcohol."

Fuuuuuuuuck and it's gonna be like 8 months until more eggnog too!

Winter Wishlist:
Mass Effect 3
Diablo 3
some fucking eggnog

W

Wasabi Poptart

Here's a thought. You could make egg nog if you really want it.

Here's a thought. You could make egg nog if you really want it.
My wife tried to make some for me when we were newlyweds, as she knew how much I enjoyed it. Since we don't drink alcohol, and she thought the rum taste was essential since it was in the recipe, she got some rum flavoring or extract or something similar. Then, where the recipe called for 3 tablespoons of rum, she added 3 tablespoons of rum flavoring/extract.

It was not quite what she had imagined, and sadly she hasn't made another attempt since then.

You could say she wasn't using her noggin'
:csi:

Now you guys have me thinking of an old New Orleans recipe I read for a treat similar to eggnog. I think it was equal parts Milk, Vanilla Ice Cream (nearly melted but cool), and Bourbon.

I looked it up, it's called Milk Punch down here. I found it in a banquet book, where the recipe was for 25 people. Online it is all home made single serving recipes. If I am going to make it, it will be for at least 25 people... or to get 10 people really drunk. So I need to find that recipe one more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.