Random Video Game Crap

I'm on an "off" period in my on-and-off playing of Cities Skylines, but there's a couple of YouTube channels I enjoy watching. One is City Planner Plays, who is a real-life city planner. His videos are filled with really insightful information on how cities are built or modified. And he has a new series where he reviews your city. And I'm really enjoying this because he goes into great detail about why he fixes certain things.

I might whip a city together and submit something. My problems are usually the same every time: I plan somewhat carefully at first, but it gets messier and messier along the way until I basically give up and start anew.

Excellent use of Babymetal.
I expect you and Wata will be diving into this as soon as you are able? I mean, I probably will, if only for completeness' sake.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Excellent use of Babymetal.
I expect you and Wata will be diving into this as soon as you are able? I mean, I probably will, if only for completeness' sake.

--Patrick
Hell yeah we will! Playing New World beta right now. New MMO that has a feel almost like a survival game. I'm digging it so far.

I wish I had more people to play with that liked KF2 as much as I do.
I tried to like it, I really did, but playing it felt like my job was to shovel up as many bullets as possible and throw them at my enemies, and I was just never able to shovel them up quickly enough.

--Patrick

I fucking LOVE Arkane Studios games, but they can fuck off with their shit performance Denuvo having ass until that shit's removed.
It'll never happen but one thing I wish Steam would add to the store is, when a game is released with Denuvo (or other DRM) add a 4th button to the Buy/Wishlist/Ignore options that amounts to "Notify me when Denuvo is removed from this title".

It'll never happen but one thing I wish Steam would add to the store is, when a game is released with Denuvo (or other DRM) add a 4th button to the Buy/Wishlist/Ignore options that amounts to "Notify me when Denuvo is removed from this title".
Steam is still a DRM in their own right. The chance of them helping your avoid the technology is below zero.

GasBandit

Staff member
Steam is still a DRM in their own right. The chance of them helping your avoid the technology is below zero.
Denuvo could be seen as competing with steam DRM, kind of a coke/pepsi situation. Steam could make the argument to the publisher that Steam DRM means they don't need Denuvo..

GasBandit

Staff member
No wonder I haven't felt the need to play a new triple A game in forever... they're all just games I've already played.

I like playing old games but one problem is that this games are really hard. By poor chance I found this channel on YouTube. And the videos are a great help. Every video is a step by step walktrough through a game with in depth explanations. I really like his style and hope he will look into games of other consoles.

Here he ist explaining how to beat Ghost' N Goblins. He makes it look so effortless.

U CAN BEAT VIDEO GAMES is a pretty amazing channel. I thought about doing something like that years ago but laughed it off when I realized I have neither the patience or skill to actually master old Nintendo games.

GasBandit

Staff member
I get this but this has been a thing forever in games. Few innovate, some iterate and most imitate.
There's inspiration, and there's copy-paste.

And there's a lot of copying and pasting going on these last 10 years.

Most of it to such a degree that I haven't felt the need to buy much.

There's inspiration, and there's copy-paste.

And there's a lot of copying and pasting going on these last 10 years.

Most of it to such a degree that I haven't felt the need to buy much.
I don't know. I'd say it's longer then 10 years. There's a reason why "Doom clone" was a common term. I'm pretty sure Sonic was internally called a "Mario killer" within Sega.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't know. I'd say it's longer then 10 years. There's a reason why "Doom clone" was a common term. I'm pretty sure Sonic was internally called a "Mario killer" within Sega.
Innovation was still a thing occasionally. Doesn't seem to be the case much these days.

Innovation was still a thing occasionally. Doesn't seem to be the case much these days.
Not from the big leagues, no. The odd spark, like Shadow of Mordor's nemesis system. But most innovation in the 15 years or so has been from the indies. The big developers are often too scared to take risks anymore and go with "sure bets," which involve copying what the other is doing. But that's honestly been the way for longer than the rise of the indies.

EDIT: Correction, I should say the big PUBLISHERS. I have no doubt the developers working for said publishers would love to stretch their legs and try something different.

Last edited: