Random Video Game Crap

So apparently FF15 isn't coming to PC. Also, Square needs to sell 10 million units to make it's money back. Tomb Raider only released on Xbox One and then later on PC, where the PC version outsold the Xbox version. But apparently not enough for Square to notice there's an audience there.

I do not understand Japanese developers.

Once the Game Grumps got their videos out (I think they had a deal to get it out early), pretty much everyone said "Fuck this, I need to get stuff out now." I don't even blame them... the Japanese version is out and Japanese streamers are already doing their thing, completely fucking over the Western streamers who really don't get to be part of the "Souls" experience now. Those first few days of discovery are the best part of Souls and Namco-Bandai just fucked everyone outside of Japan.
Technically console gamers could sneak into playing it early; the aforementioned Xbox leak, and with PS4, just make a Japanese PSN account, download to your console, then play using your main account.

I haven't watched a moment and I intend to keep it that way, but it does kinda suck that it won't be everyone in the same boat like it was for Bloodborne. Those first couple weeks were hilarious because no one knew what the hell to do. I went looking for some guidance on getting through the Forbidden Woods, and this map was posted on the main wiki:

I ended up having to summon someone to show me the way (which turned out to be mostly a straight shot if you ignore all the delicious items), but it was funny just how in the dark everyone was as a whole.

There are probably playthroughs I'll watch on Youtube, but I won't check them out at all until I've finished the game myself ... probably twice.

So apparently FF15 isn't coming to PC. Also, Square needs to sell 10 million units to make it's money back. Tomb Raider only released on Xbox One and then later on PC, where the PC version outsold the Xbox version. But apparently not enough for Square to notice there's an audience there.

I do not understand Japanese developers.
Last I heard they were saying not right away, but it was a possibility at least.

You would think after the sales of their other games on Steam going pretty well, they'd have been all over it, but yeah even having to wait (likely) another year or so is pretty silly.

TIL the two Rambo-esque characters in Ikari Warriors are Ralf and Clark from the KoF games. I guess "Ikari Team" should have given that away, but what can you do.

TIL the two Rambo-esque characters in Ikari Warriors are Ralf and Clark from the KoF games. I guess "Ikari Team" should have given that away, but what can you do.
I mean, you have that backwards, but yeah. Ikari Warriors came out in the 1980s. And in the US and Europe they were called Paul and Vince. Weirdly, Ikari III eliminated the ability to commandeer vehicles and took away most of the weapons, so that much of the time you're fighting with punches, kicks, and flying roundhouse kicks.

By the way, Ikari Warriors is one of MANY examples of how Japanese developers both in gaming and in anime just don't give a single solitary fuck about how military ranks work. Ralf is supposed to be a Colonel (an O-6), Clark is a 2nd Lieutenant (an O-1). They are effectively identical except in clothing, even though Ralf would be at least 42 years old (graduating West Point at 21, at least 21 years in service to even be considered for Colonel) and Clark would be around 21. Not to mention that a Colonel would be the commander of an entire Regiment, and thus would be extremely unlikely to be deployed as a commando as a squad member. Even 2nd Lt Clark would be a platoon leader.

I guess it's somewhat excusable if we're to assume they're brevet ranks or battlefield promotions, but still. And it seems like every military series has similarly ridiculous notions of rank.

Last edited:
I mean, you have that backwards, but yeah. Ikari Warriors came out in the 1980s. And in the US and Europe they were called Paul and Vince. Weirdly, Ikari III eliminated the ability to commandeer vehicles and took away most of the weapons, so that much of the time you're fighting with punches, kicks, and flying roundhouse kicks.

By the way, Ikari Warriors is one of MANY examples of how Japanese developers both in gaming and in anime just don't give a single solitary fuck about how military ranks work. Ralf is supposed to be a Colonel (an O-6), Clark is a 2nd Lieutenant (an O-1). They are effectively identical except in clothing, even though Ralf would be at least 42 years old (graduating West Point at 21, at least 21 years in service to even be considered for Colonel) and Clark would be around 21. Not to mention that a Colonel would be the commander of an entire Regiment, and thus would be extremely unlikely to be deployed as a commando as a squad member. Even 2nd Lt Clark would be a platoon leader.

I guess it's somewhat excusable if we're to assume they're brevet ranks or battlefield promotions, but still. And it seems like every military series has similarly ridiculous notions of rank.
Yeah I phrased that weird, I meant they first showed up in Ikari Warriors.

That brings to mind a game that I honestly enjoy playing most of the time, but doesn't make a goddamn bit of sense. That game is AirForce Delta Strike from Konami for the PS2. It's an arcadey sort of flying combat game (ie a lot softer and less realistic than the excellent Air Combat series) that plays out like a semi-truncated anime series. There are a lot of interesting touches - for various missions, you can choose different pilots, and choosing them opens up their storylines, which in turn opens up more missions exclusive to them, as well as their unique aircraft: every pilot has a unique lineup or warplanes they can use. Problem is, for the most part, the characters are so troped-out they wind up being uniformly ridiculous. Starting with the 14-year old major who basically runs the squadron because she's "super-intelligent". Looks like someone missed the point of Ender's Game. Then there's the wingman sociopath who ignores orders and pursues enemies to rack up more kills, the death-seeking, sullen protagonist, and a trio of unconventional pilots whose aircraft simply couldn't function together: an older pilot who prefers WWII prop fighters - the newest aircraft he can use is an F-86 Sabrejet for one mission (despite the fact that given the game takes place in the future, and he's supposed to be in his 50s, not, like 150); a guy who prefers VTOL aircraft like the Harrier; and a guy who prefers high-altitude, high-speed interceptors and recon aircraft (F-104G Starfighter, YF-12, etc). None of which operate in the same sphere of capability. The voice acting is terribly hammy, the character design honestly makes you wonder if Konami has ever seen a woman, and the plot is garbage. All in all, I rather like it, but it's just a huge WTF game.

GasBandit

Staff member
I always find it a little unsettling whenever "OK Google's" voice changes to a different woman... and it seems to happen about once or twice a year. "WHO ARE YOU? WHAT DID YOU DO WITH MY ASSISTANT? IS SHE OK??"

I always find it a little unsettling whenever "OK Google's" voice changes to a different woman... and it seems to happen about once or twice a year. "WHO ARE YOU? WHAT DID YOU DO WITH MY ASSISTANT? IS SHE OK??"
You should be used to it with your underlings by now.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
You should be used to it with your underlings by now.

--Patrick
Well at least when THAT happens it's not a mystery to me, where suddenly one day a girl is gone and there's a new girl in her place acting as if nothing has changed and she's always been there.

Saw 3DS had one whole new release this week, so I thought I'd check out what it is.

From what I can tell, it's anime, because that's all you get from the trailer in the eshop. Anime cutscenes for over a minute and a half. I don't even know what kind of game it is, but my guess is it's not a very good one.

Dark Souls 3 is an odd one. Some boss fights are the kind of aggressive beast mode fights you'd get in Bloodborne, without some of Bloodborne's speed and health recovery. Other boss fights are the kind of puzzle bosses you'd see in Demon's Souls, where once you figure out the boss's trick, it's just a matter of surviving long enough to pull it off. So there are really hard bosses, and bosses that seem hard but are actually a cakewalk once you know what to do.

Easy mode is summoning other players to help. It has never been easier to summon them, so no one has an excuse for going it alone if they just can't hack it.

Of course, it's not just bosses. There are normal enemies I hate more than any boss.

I watched Dunkey's DS3 video, and yeah he had two guys summoned for a boss and literally just laid down on the ground while they killed it for him.

I watched Dunkey's DS3 video, and yeah he had two guys summoned for a boss and literally just laid down on the ground while they killed it for him.
Which is why I've been soloing everything, even if it means being stuck on a boss for hours. I can always bring someone along the next time I play, but I really want to do it myself the first time because bringing the right people can completely trivialize the fight. That, and I'm really happy with my build this time. It's solid PVP, and I've gotten good enough that I don't need a shield. I might never go back to a shield, in fact.

This is the boss that people called impossible to do alone, and they were fucking wrong:

Also evidence that you should never give up an attempt on a boss just because you're getting your ass destroyed early in the fight :D.

The school administration doesn't mind kids coming in during lunch and playing webgames now, which has made mine and the other librarian's job SO much easier. Slither.io is the perfect babysitter.

Sort of. The main issue with signs is kids eating in the library when there's big huge NO FOOD OR DRINK signs everywhere, even on the tables.

Computers actually aren't an issue most of the time, save the one time I caught a kid playing Runescape. They can't install stuff, so he must have brought it on an external drive or something.

Sort of. The main issue with signs is kids eating in the library when there's big huge NO FOOD OR DRINK signs everywhere, even on the tables.

Computers actually aren't an issue most of the time, save the one time I caught a kid playing Runescape. They can't install stuff, so he must have brought it on an external drive or something.
Runescape is written in Java and plays in your browser Java plug-in.

--Patrick