Random Video Game Crap

Does anyone know of a series similar to Until We Win? Something that takes a look back at some of these retro games and talks about how to actually beat them? I guess I could watch let's plays or speed runs too but I'm mostly just kind of interested in things like "hey so this is what was beyond the underwater level of TMNT" kind of stuff.

Good news Jim! You don't need to make another Fallout 76 video (...yet. I'm sure you will need to at some point).

Bad news Jim! You do need to make another WWE 2k20 video. Because now that we're in 2020 - you know the year the game is named for - it doesn't work anymore :facepalm:.

figmentPez

Staff member
CES is this week! That means tons of new gaming crap!

This one looks like it would be impractical to produce at a reasonable price, but it is a fun concept:

I really liked his initial video in this series. It's amazing how many things and concepts I didn't realize I take for granted or don't even think about having gamed all my life that someone who never had would struggle with. Game literacy as he calls it is super fascinating and I've used the initial Mario level myself when describing the perfect tutorial without any prompts. Obviously the game is simpler then what we have now but being able to teach how to navigate the entire game via that initial screen, specifically with the first pipe you come to, has always awed me.

Last edited:
@PatrThom

The Kirov airship is a unit in the Command and Conquer: Red Alert series. They're end-game units, in the sense that they have high prerequisites to build, and they're expensive. They're also slow and one-dimensional in their attacks, only being capable of dropping bombs from above. However, their bombs are devastatingly powerful, so if you build a Kirov and manage to get it into position, it will blast the shit out of whatever's beneath it. And, god willing, if you manage to build a fleet of Kirovs, you will be able to carpet bomb the enemy into a fine powder.

Most battles and skirmishes in Red Alert are resolved long before the Kirov can be built, so this means that it's relatively rare to hear the "Kirov reporting" sound bite, which is played when a Kirov unit is built. That means the sound of a Kirov reporting for duty is so extraordinary, and so, so, sooooooooooo sexy.

@PatrThom

The Kirov airship is a unit in the Command and Conquer: Red Alert series. They're end-game units, in the sense that they have high prerequisites to build, and they're expensive. They're also slow and one-dimensional in their attacks, only being capable of dropping bombs from above. However, their bombs are devastatingly powerful, so if you build a Kirov and manage to get it into position, it will blast the shit out of whatever's beneath it. And, god willing, if you manage to build a fleet of Kirovs, you will be able to carpet bomb the enemy into a fine powder.

Most battles and skirmishes in Red Alert are resolved long before the Kirov can be built, so this means that it's relatively rare to hear the "Kirov reporting" sound bite, which is played when a Kirov unit is built. That means the sound of a Kirov reporting for duty is so extraordinary, and so, so, sooooooooooo sexy.
Even better is "carrier has arrived"

Remember Digital Homicide? The game "developer" that sued Jim Sterling? They're baaaaaack. And rather than learn their lesson after 2-3 years of potential self-reflecting, they're publishing daily articles to reveal the "truth" about what happened.

Naturally, it's all the same broken rhetoric and bad faith arguments that made them infamous in the first place. Jim Sterling knows about it and is planning on verbally slapping them down in a video.

You can read some of their "articles" here:

https://www.digitalhomicideuncensored.com/post/why-was-jim-sterling-sued

https://www.digitalhomicideuncensored.com/post/why-was-digital-homicides-lawsuit-thrown-out-of-court