Random Video Game Crap

One of the things that amuses me the most is that the Fortnite Switch port managed to have built in voice chat, phone app free, yet Nintendo itself can't seem to figure this shit out.

One of the things that amuses me the most is that the Fortnite Switch port managed to have built in voice chat, phone app free, yet Nintendo itself can't seem to figure this shit out.
Nintendo is doing this intentionally. They don't want a bunch of videos of people screaming obscenities at kids while playing their products. It detracts from the image they want to portray and they can just string people along forever if they want... because they're Nintendo and no one will call them out on it.

Nintendo is doing this intentionally. They don't want a bunch of videos of people screaming obscenities at kids while playing their products. It detracts from the image they want to portray and they can just string people along forever if they want... because they're Nintendo and no one will call them out on it.
I mean, Nintendo is already *really* heavy handed about allowing people to show their products on social media, so I have a feeling that is only a very tiny part. And they have enough parental controls built in to their systems that parents can just disable voice chat for young children.

But not even between friends? It's ridiculous that if people on here play together we might be setting up a third party voice thing.

But not even between friends? It's ridiculous that if people on here play together we might be setting up a third party voice thing.
They already dealt with this back in the 3DS days; they had news reports about how the SwapPass could be used by child molesters and such to lure kids without their parents knowing because kids were posting their friend codes online. In response, Nintendo removed the program from the platform. They later removed it from the WiiU. Nintendo is VERY serious about the child safety image their company has and they've gone to great lengths to ensure that parents have all the tools they need to protect their kids online and police their kids's online habits. They even have an app that lets you set daily limits for their play and lets you block certain online features or even entire games by various restrictions.

While this can be annoying for older fans, ultimately I have to side with Nintendo here; this is a core aspect of their public image and design philosophy.

They already dealt with this back in the 3DS days; they had news reports about how the SwapPass could be used by child molesters and such to lure kids without their parents knowing because kids were posting their friend codes online. In response, Nintendo removed the program from the platform. They later removed it from the WiiU. Nintendo is VERY serious about the child safety image their company has and they've gone to great lengths to ensure that parents have all the tools they need to protect their kids online and police their kids's online habits. They even have an app that lets you set daily limits for their play and lets you block certain online features or even entire games by various restrictions.

While this can be annoying for older fans, ultimately I have to side with Nintendo here; this is a core aspect of their public image and design philosophy.
I understand all of that, but I thought the app was going to be their option to have it both ways since presumably a kid with a phone has a parent providing that phone, paying for that phone, and setting up restrictions on that phone.

I understand all of that, but I thought the app was going to be their option to have it both ways since presumably a kid with a phone has a parent providing that phone, paying for that phone, and setting up restrictions on that phone.
Sadly, many, many parents are in the situation of "hey kid, can you set up my phone for me? Oh and restrict yourself too." Tech "literacy" is higher than it used to be, but still horrific. I guarantee you that USB sticks were the solution to both better portable storage, and not having to field "cupholder" support requests anymore.

Steam now allows you to see how much you've spent in total. This is transactions specifically through the Steam store.

"TotalAmount" is total spent money on Steam.
"OldSpend" is amount spent until 2015 (time Steam's updated their backend)
PWSpend is for funds spent by Perfect World (For Chinese Steam users)

Mine, since December, 2008.
TotalSpend: $1,068.20
OldSpend: $766.38

I...honestly expected that to be much higher. But mind you, that's not including many Humble Bundle deals or deals through GMG or Fanatical.

Still, just from that alone, that works out to about $2 a game if I divide by my total amount of games (539).

GasBandit

Staff member
Steam now allows you to see how much you've spent in total. This is transactions specifically through the Steam store.

"TotalAmount" is total spent money on Steam.
"OldSpend" is amount spent until 2015 (time Steam's updated their backend)
PWSpend is for funds spent by Perfect World (For Chinese Steam users)

Mine, since December, 2008.
TotalSpend: $1,068.20
OldSpend: $766.38

I...honestly expected that to be much higher. But mind you, that's not including many Humble Bundle deals or deals through GMG or Fanatical.

Still, just from that alone, that works out to about $2 a game if I divide by my total amount of games (539).
TotalSpend $1,673.17
OldSpend $833.56

Great googily moogily. Still, as you say, that $7.24/game... And at 7,393 hours played, that's around 23 cents an hour.

Of course, that doesn't count all the stuff on Pauline's account, buuuut I'd say the cost of her games was the least of the losses, there.

$20.60. Humble Bundles would be much more though.
Post automatically merged:

$99.47 on Humble. Considering my library has 45 games, I'd say I'm doing quite well actually.

$20.60. Humble Bundles would be much more though.
Post automatically merged:

$99.47 on Humble. Considering my library has 45 games, I'd say I'm doing quite well actually.
Where did you get your Humble total? Or did you just take the time and add up each item on the list of purchases?

(I added these up myself. Couldn't find a total listed.)

Humble Bundle: 469.09
Fanatical: 98.24
GreenManGaming: Doesn't list the prices in my purchase history, so I'll guess a ballpark of $40.

So, add on another $510 to my total on Steam and it's around $1500. Which still comes out to around $2.70 a game.

Although, a number of those games were either gifts or free on Humble Bundle or other places. No way to figure that out without spending a lot of time on it, so maybe pull that total up to $3-4 for each game.

$1,032.12 from Steam, $159.76 on Humble Bundle, and $34.75 from other sources. 321 games on Steam, though I must have a few dozen unredeemed on Humble Bundle.

figmentPez

Staff member
~$436 on Steam
~$327 on Humble (but that's counting books, software, etc. as well)
~ $41 on GamersGate
~ $15 on Green Man Gaming
~ $33 on Fanatical / Bundle Stars
~ $23 on Amazon (just for digital codes now in my Steam library)
~ $33 from Dell (they had a deal on L4D2)
= $908
All those ended up in my Steam library, there's also:
~$155 on Telltale Games (some of which are in my Steam library, some aren't.)
~$43 on GOG.com

And that still leaves out some physical copies I bought that came with Steam codes, like Half-Life 2, and the Half-Life collection, . I can't even remember where I bought those. And a lot of games bought in the pre-digital days.

Steam says 330 games, so... $2.75 a game. SteamDB.info says I've only "played" 227 of those. So $4 a game.

Looking back at my purchase history, Steam says my first purchase was Bioshock for $15 back in 2008. Though I've had a Steam account since 2004. Not sure how many games I activated on Steam in those 4 years, besides HL2. Wait... I have a receipt for The Orange Box in 2007, bought on Steam. But it's not listed in my account history.

About $110 a year spent on video games over the last decade. As a kid I usually got two games a year; on on my birthday, and one at Christmas. Well, sometimes more if I could talk my parent's into a computer game in the bargain bin. Weird to think I'm spending about as much a year on games as I did back then, but I get to play a lot more.

Come to think of it, gift cards would've counted in that total, wouldn't it? Getting a gift card and uploading the credit onto Steam? So that might knock my total down by about $150-$200. At least $150 because I think that's how much credit I got for selling my PS3 and all my games to GameStop when I got my gaming rig.

Heh, I feel like I'm just trying to come up with excuses for spending that much. :p

HOLY SHIT.

This is...kind of an eye opener...

Total Spend $4,050.05
Old Spend $2,613.61

Edit: Oh I misread, thought you added the two for the total. It is still absurd but less so.

Last edited:
TotalSpend $3,040.30
OldSpend $1,391.08

509 games

$5.97 average per game

Most hours spent still divided across the various editions of Blood Bowl... which is on sale for 50% off right now!

TotalSpend $1,065
OldSpend $513

147 games

No idea on hours. Not sure how to access that. Per-game is pretty easy, but total isn't.

GasBandit

Staff member
TotalSpend $1,065
OldSpend $513

147 games

No idea on hours. Not sure how to access that. Per-game is pretty easy, but total isn't.
I used https://steamdb.info/calculator/ to get my hours. The money on that one isn't as accurate because it guesses based on *current* prices, not what you actually paid for the games, but it does track the hours. Doesn't work if your steam profile is private, though.

TotalSpend $2031.45
OldSpend $1,410.97
Games 143
Avg. $14.21 per game
Approx 7250 hours played, works out to $0.28 an hour - not too shabby for an entertainment cost. Of course, you have to figure in hardware, electricity, and broadband before you can get to a true cost, but even at an average hourly rate of 7.6 cents per kilowatt hour (with an average power supply draw of 707W per hour) you can figure that electricity for these hours of gaming cost me an additional $787.14 and I've spent roughly $1300 on computer hardware, for a total price (before Comcast/Spectrum, because getting an actual price breakdown from them is like pulling hens' teeth) of $4,118.59, or $0.56 an hour.

I used https://steamdb.info/calculator/ to get my hours. The money on that one isn't as accurate because it guesses based on *current* prices, not what you actually paid for the games, but it does track the hours. Doesn't work if your steam profile is private, though.
Pretty sure mine is. You're a friend, so you can look, but random websites can't. But just skimming the first 5 or so games, I'm in the 2000 hour range (at least) so my dollars per hour is quite good no matter what.

TotalSpend $1,581.61
OldSpend $469.69
Hours played:1,819.7h (86c/hour)
254 games ($6.23/game)
Top played game (still): Gnomoria, followed by Rimworld and Empyrion (which finally overtook Farming Simulator. Lol)