Random Video Game Crap

Battlefront locks you out of earning credits if you earn too many, so fuck EA for that too.
So they actually just took a free mobile game's monetization and slapped it into a AAA-priced game? Have to give them credit for their massive balls, I guess.

Honestly, I wish a major country (sorry, Belgium isn't big enough) rules that any "hidden knowledge" purchases are gambling, and outlaws them under everything except gaming laws. Including booster packs for things like Magic (physical, not just digital), the Popcap "hidden" figurines, etc. So both real life and digital, if you don't know exactly what you're purchasing, it's gambling.

Others may disagree, but IMO that's what should happen, but it would only change company behavior if it was either the EU, Japan, or the USA. Just about anywhere else, major companies would just pull out of the country rather than change their whole business model.

At this point, I pine for the days when a game released was just bad on its own.

I've said this before, but the ONLY developer/publisher that has earned my trust enough to consider pre-ordering? CD Projeckt Red. The way they handled Witcher 3 and its DLC and expansions was just fine with me. My pre-order will depend on seeing some in-game footage of Cyberpunk 2077, but still. EA? Capcom? WB? Whoever else I'm blanking on? Fuck 'em. Even a Superman game. If it's saddled with this same bullshit, they're lucky if I'll pay $20 for a Game of the Year edition, if I get it at all.

GasBandit

Staff member
EA? Capcom? WB? Whoever else I'm blanking on?
Just off the top of my head, Ubisoft and Activision should definitely be on that list.

I've had the best luck sticking to the littler guy. Most of the games I've enjoyed playing over the past few years have been from small developers. Red Hook made Darkest Dungeon. Fatshark made Vermintide. Tripwire made Killing Floor. Larian made D:OS. Pixel Dash did Road Redemption. And oh my god, anything Stardock puts out is great. I've still got hope for Subnautica by Unknown Worlds to get its problems sorted out.

But yeah, all the traditional "big name" AAA publishers/devs? Fuck em.

Just off the top of my head, Ubisoft and Activision should definitely be on that list.

I've had the best luck sticking to the littler guy. Most of the games I've enjoyed playing over the past few years have been from small developers. Red Hook made Darkest Dungeon. Fatshark made Vermintide. Tripwire made Killing Floor. Larian made D:OS. Pixel Dash did Road Redemption. And oh my god, anything Stardock puts out is great. I've still got hope for Subnautica by Unknown Worlds to get its problems sorted out.

But yeah, all the traditional "big name" AAA publishers/devs? Fuck em.
Yep, Activision & Ubisoft belong on there. Bethesda, too.

And same. Though I've enjoyed some AAA games in the last decade or so, they pale in comparison to the indie games I've played. Right now, partly due to depression and unemployment, I'm putting a lot of hours into Stardew Valley. That's a game that OUTSOLD CALL OF DUTY ON STEAM. And the developer - one guy - is still making updates and listening to his audience. He recently teased a new update, but said it admitted it wouldn't be anywhere in the near future.

Red Hook made Darkest Dungeon. Fatshark made Vermintide. Tripwire made Killing Floor. Larian made D:OS. Pixel Dash did Road Redemption. And oh my god, anything Stardock puts out is great. I've still got hope for Subnautica by Unknown Worlds to get its problems sorted out.
I admit that Oriental Empires looks interesting, too...if you’re into Civ-type TBS. The part that caught my attention was, “from the same publisher as Killing Floor.”

—Patrick

Yep, Activision & Ubisoft belong on there. Bethesda, too.

And same. Though I've enjoyed some AAA games in the last decade or so, they pale in comparison to the indie games I've played. Right now, partly due to depression and unemployment, I'm putting a lot of hours into Stardew Valley. That's a game that OUTSOLD CALL OF DUTY ON STEAM. And the developer - one guy - is still making updates and listening to his audience. He recently teased a new update, but said it admitted it wouldn't be anywhere in the near future.
I think he actually has more help now, because he didn't want to try to add multiplayer on his own, but yeah, I love the shit out of Stardew Valley, especially because Harvest Moon has gone to shit, and even Story of Seasons doesn't quite get it right anymore either.

figmentPez

Staff member
In a move that was totally driven by listening to gamers' feedback, and was absolutely not motivated by falling stock prices or other boorish monetary considerations, EA has graciously decided to remove all in-game purchases from Battlefront 2.

For now.
The way they're talking about it is confusing to me. They didn't so much remove the in-game purchases, as turned off the ability to buy in-game currency with real world money. So you still have to unlock all that stuff with a ridiculous amount of grinding, and the people who already paid to win are still going to be dominating for a while to come, and they're planning on turning back on paying with real money in the future.

Basically "We're going to wait until this blows over, and then resume screwing over our customers."

A game developer sees through the bullshit...
I'm a Producer at a AAA Studio(I'm more than happy to provide proof to subreddit mods)
This is pretty clear what they're doing to anyone who works in the industry. They want to maximize their initial sales numbers to show to investors. Once the trade off is worth it(Probably 1-2 months in), they will enable the gamble boxes again because:
  1. Everyone who was on the fence will have bought the game by now
  2. You can't refund the game at this point
  3. The news will have died down, and if new articles do come out, it won't be as relevant
  4. They will already have good numbers to show investors
EA is going to royally fuck over the average gamer who doesn't have a clue how the industry works on this. This is about as deceptive as it gets. I hope that clarifies things…. but please do not let this extensive clarification distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer’s table

Everyone needs to stop praising the Switch around me.
I feel the same way when I’m late for lunch and other people come in with their fried chicken, hot pretzels, or worse yet that guy who makes a bag of popcorn in the microwave and makes the entire admin area smell like hot butter...

—Patrick

Nintendo has always been amazing with handheld systems, I feel like most of the praise of the portability of the Switch is from people who never bothered to own a Gameboy or DS system. :p

figmentPez

Staff member
Ladies and gentleman, the PC master race:

64 fps cap in SR4.PNG
64 fps cap in SR4 b.PNG

I don't even know how to fathom the stupidity here. He admits that his framerate fluctuates, but he still thinks there's a "cap" limiting his framerate.