Random Comic Book Crap

In between Trump Prime going senile at G7, Brazilian Trump letting the Amazon burn, and British Trump doing Brexit WTFery, Twitter takes time out for this bit of pure gold.

The thread. read the whole thread.

Mayor of Rio de Janeiro tried to get copies of Avengers: The Children's Crusade banned from sale at a book fair because it had a kiss between Wiccan and Hulkling. Courts have told him to fuck off citing freedom of expression, copies of the book have sold out & one of Brazil's biggest newspapers published this front page

Being an alt of @JCM I should know this already, but how do you say "burn" in Portugese? :rofl:

Man oh MAN can I...not wait for Bendis's Superman runs to end. They ain't the worst things I've ever read, but compared to Tomasi and Jurgen's runs its no god damned contest. Probably gonna drop it after the "Reveal" story depending on how stupid it is.

GasBandit

Staff member
So... heh... snrk... heh heh... get this.

Marvel's "New Warriors" comic is shaping up to look really... ha ha ha ha...

Look. They've got twin non-binary gender teen supers named SNOWFLAKE and SAFESPACE.

And just in case you still harbored any doubts that this was the work of some out of touch anglo cishet dude either trying to white knight or cash in on being woke (Poe's Law makes it difficult to tell sometimes)...

... there's also a character who is a meme junkie and his power is googling.

Because memes are what the kids are into these days, right? That'll sell some dead tree comics!

So... heh... snrk... heh heh... get this.

Marvel's "New Warriors" comic is shaping up to look really... ha ha ha ha...

Look. They've got twin non-binary gender teen supers named SNOWFLAKE and SAFESPACE.

And just in case you still harbored any doubts that this was the work of some out of touch anglo cishet dude either trying to white knight or cash in on being woke (Poe's Law makes it difficult to tell sometimes)...

... there's also a character who is a meme junkie and his power is googling.

Because memes are what the kids are into these days, right? That'll sell some dead tree comics!
Is the editor in chief still that white dude that pretended to be Japanese to get work doing Japanese Marvel stories?

YUP!

So, for those that haven't heard in the comics news, artist Cameron Stewart and writer Warren Ellis were both recently outed as sexual predators. Stewart was outed for "grooming" underaged girls. Ellis has messaged incredibly inappropriate things to various young women and asked for "favors" to help them get into the business.

I believe the women coming forward. I will support them however I can. For me, I don't know any of these people personally or professionally. I'm just a reader on the sidelines. And as a reader on the sidelines, it makes me question the "art vs artist" argument again.

Looking at my shelf, I realize I don't own a great deal of work from Cameron Stewart or surprisingly Warren Ellis. For Stewart, just his part of Morrison's Seven Soldiers and his work on Ed Brubaker's Catwoman run, which I adored. For Ellis, from what I can tell I just have the Planetary omnibus and I've been buying the new deluxe softcover editions of Transmetropolitan. Kind of surprising. I thought I had more.

And like previous creators, I'm torn on whether to keep their work on my shelf. I quickly disposed of Doug Tenapple's YA books when I found out he was a bigot against the LGBTQ community. I got rid of both Brian Wood's Northlanders and DMZ, even though I loved those books until I learned about how he treated some women. I'm continuously torn on keeping Chuck Dixon's work on my shelf after discovering he's not only a very staunch Trump supporter, but supports Comicsgate. And yet his run on Nightwing is one of my all-time favourite runs and I'm nostalgic for Knightfall/KnightQuest/KnightFall.

But I absolutely adore Brubaker's Catwoman run. Largely for the writing, but Cameron Stewart played a major role in that run, along with other artists like the late great Darwyn Cooke, Javier Pulido, and others. Same for 7 Soldiers, though Stewart did only 4 issues there.

And then Warren Ellis. Planetary is absolutely brilliant. I've considered re-buying The Authority. Transmetropolitan is cathartic and surprisingly just as relevant in its politics today, if not moreso. I ask myself "Do I keep buying the Transmet books that aren't out yet?"

Looking at this PURELY as a reader on the sidelines, it's difficult to feel comfortable having some of these works on my shelf, knowing what I know now about these creators. I know that some people can separate the art from the artist, but I find it very personally challenging.

Last edited:
Fuck, is it so fucking hard to not be a piece of shit?
Apparently not when you're a creepy but highly influential man interacting with young, impressionable women who are terrified of being blacklisted if they say something.

Last edited:
Humble Bundle has one HECK of an Image Comics bundle right now. Even better, I didn't realize they now offered CBZ files for their comics, which is a much better format for reading than PDF. Especially for the program ComicRack, which I can read on desktop or tablet.

Dave

Staff member
Just bought it and am downloading them in the dreaded PDF. And downloading that many is a real pain in the ass. Their bulk downloader just doesn't work very well.

Humble Bundle has one HECK of an Image Comics bundle right now. Even better, I didn't realize they now offered CBZ files for their comics, which is a much better format for reading than PDF. Especially for the program ComicRack, which I can read on desktop or tablet.
I did one of these a couple years ago and got great value out of it. I don't see too much overlap with that bundle, so I'm in.

It's not just DC, Warner Media in general is getting decimated. 800 layoffs across multiple different companies. They're fucked by AT&T's massive, massive debt.

Also on the subject of DC, if ANYTHING happens to Jarro a.k.a. Robin the Star Wonder I'd...well not set DC comics on fire, as its...CLEARLY all ready burning, but I'll at least write a nasty NOTE!

This new meme makes me smile:
20200821_164204.jpg

Kinda like the way I'll always laugh at Twisted Toyfair's take on Daredevil or Iron Man's crippling alcoholism.