[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

I wouldn't be surprised if this is him looking for a way to put this project to rest. He's been doing it 20 years, it's what made him famous, but he clearly doesn't have a lot of passion for it and would rather being doing Table Titans full time.

I hope the entire comic is about the "take no shit" receptionist.
While I'm annoyed by her so far - obviously it's too early to tell, but "big black woman who don't take no shit" is a boring stereotype. Just like the big black bald leadership type who is strong and experienced but somehow rarely goes out in the field or contributed usefully.

While I'm annoyed by her so far - obviously it's too early to tell, but "big black woman who don't take no shit" is a boring stereotype. Just like the big black bald leadership type who is strong and experienced but somehow rarely goes out in the field or contributed usefully.
Honestly I think my comment was more sarcastic anyway. I'm not at all invested in this story-line so far. The jokes are pretty bad and even the punchline in all three strips is just the receptionist's unenthusiastic responses to everyone else.

Last edited:

He was at least competent abnd allowed to act. :-P

I'm also not sure the stereotype was as strong back then - most black men on tv in the '90s were more of the bumbling fool variety?
Director in NCIS (admittedly not bald but short cropped), captain in Castle, captain in the Mentalist, captain in some CSI versions, captain in the Rookie, Principal in Boston Public....
And that's just from shows I've watched, I'm sure there are hundreds more

Are those last two strips actually drawn by Scott? It looks like someone else's art, maybe someone who did guest strips for him, but I can't place my finger on it...

Looks reminiscent of whoever drew The Trenches (Ty Halley?) based on the noses. So, could PVP 3.0 be Scott's way out of drawing the strip anymore and just writing dialog?

Dave

Staff member
I don't know how I feel about this. I want to respect the artistic direction of trying to grow, but it feels more like new characters in an old setting more than any real growth. I mean, there's only been a few strips so it's difficult to form an opinion, but the last strip is...just...ugh.

The "What kind of numbers are you getting?" was the closest to a halfway decent gag the strip has had so far in its 5 strips.

These are, like, newspaper comic grade jokes. The kind of jokes that people who hate to laugh out loud like.
IIRC he's mentioned several times over the years that he dreamed of being a newspaper cartoonist. Not really surprised that he's still emulating that gag structure.

Art wise, it still looks like he's doing that thing where he copy and pastes panels then makes tiny changes to disguise that he copied that panel. Panel 1 here feels like the only dynamic shot we've gotten so far.