[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

S

Soliloquy

I'm not even sure what the two characters are talking about. The gold error? The leaks? The guy who exploited the gold error? All three and none at the same time?

Is this some sort of Koan? "What is the sound of no man laughing?"

S

Soliloquy

The Trenches is just not a good comic, period.
And what's really sad? We can pretty much pick out which of the three people involved is to blame. Every project the Penny Arcade guys do on their own tends to be gold.

Nah, the writing and characterization is terrible and Kurtz doesn't have much of a hand in that. It is truly a comic made by committee and so it loses all of the spontaneity of Penny Arcade's creative efforts.

Edit to add: Penny Arcade hasn't ever proven they can do long-term story arcs. They've done maybe 5 or 6 related strips in a row but they don't carry out stories regularly. They are good are brainstorming ideas and that's about it.

S

Soliloquy

Nah, the writing and characterization is terrible and Kurtz doesn't have much of a hand in that. It is truly a comic made by committee and so it loses all of the spontaneity of Penny Arcade's creative efforts.
So what does Kurtz have a hand in? Is he just the artist?

Edit to add: Penny Arcade hasn't ever proven they can do long-term story arcs. They've done maybe 5 or 6 related strips in a row but they don't carry out stories regularly. They are good are brainstorming ideas and that's about it.
I was under the impression that Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness was good. Not a comic, but still a long-term story.

So what does Kurtz have a hand in? Is he just the artist?

I was under the impression that Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness was good. Not a comic, but still a long-term story.
He's mainly the artist, yeah. And I only played the first chapter of the game, so I can't speak to the story on that one.

I'm not even sure what the two characters are talking about. The gold error? The leaks? The guy who exploited the gold error? All three and none at the same time?

Is this some sort of Koan? "What is the sound of no man laughing?"
This is all stuff from previous comics.

Gold Error: There was a mining node in one of the areas that didn't get exhausted, so Icey spent days there and got enough gold for end-tier armor. Word got out and then EVERYONE went there. The resulting endless gold ruined the economy in a week. The guy in charge of that zone (guy with the knit hat) got fired, then immediately re-hired because their boss is an idiot and didn't recognize him.

Guy who exploited it: Icey. That's the brown haired guy who loves steak fries. If he had reported it, none of this would have happened.

The Leaks: Cora (the red haired woman) ratted out the situtation, basically because the players were getting fucked over because her team is full of assholes and retards.

As for the current comic... Q (kilt guy) wanted Credenza (bald guy - also the boss) to make an example of the guy who fucked up, but since that guy was "fired", he doesn't have a scapegoat and it's likely his job is on the line. Notice how the current plan changes every time he talks to someone? That means there is no plan.

Honestly, it's not a great comic, but at least it's been coherent about the plot. You know, if you paid attention to it. And the developer stories are good.

GasBandit

Staff member
Q was in charge when the exploit happened, so it's his fault. But he doesn't work there any more as he got promoted out. So he was calling for his own head, until he realized that's what he was doing, then suddenly he shifted to "let's just move forward."

THATSTHEJOKE.JPG

S

Soliloquy

Q was in charge when the exploit happened, so it's his fault. But he doesn't work there any more as he got promoted out. So he was calling for his own head, until he realized that's what he was doing, then suddenly he shifted to "let's just move forward."

THATSTHEJOKE.JPG
See, that's what I thought, but no one else seems to think that.

THATSTHEJOKE.JPG
It's still not funny.

Okay, who immediately caught the "Sixteen Candles" reference?

And did I miss something, or is that one of Marcie's favorite movies?

Okay, who immediately caught the "Sixteen Candles" reference?

And did I miss something, or is that one of Marcie's favorite movies?
I have no idea what Sixteen Candles is.... I thought he was just surprising her with a romantic gesture, to catch her off guard? I dunno.

The impression I get from this strip is that Francis was about to eat an entire birthday cake by himself but was caught by Marcie.

This is why his face looms so surprised.