PS4 is revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
I really don't know what you mean. Did you take that as some kind of attack? I certainly didn't mean it as anything other than its verbatim meaning.

Considering no games that exist ever use that much (most don't use more than 2-4), I'd say faster is better.
That much ram and a good processor would be very helpful for streaming the game on something like Twitch.tv or recording a Let's Play.

Considering no games that exist ever use that much (most don't use more than 2-4), I'd say faster is better.
Most can't use more than 4GB because they're 32-bit executables. Their address space hits a wall at that point. There are tricks to use more than that amount of memory on a 32-bit process (look to the server days before the 64-bit transition) but that never hit consumer-level products. And even though 90% of us have 64-bit processors, if you're on XP (XP-64 is a bastard that shall not be spoken of) you can't use 64-bit binaries. Thus, everything is still compiled for 32-bit, and the 64-bit people can run those too.

I will celebrate when I no longer see 32-bit executables in my task manager.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just wanted to chime in with the undeniable truth that if you prefer consoles over PCs, you should be put down before you breed.

You people are out of your minds if that Capcom Deep Down demo was only marginally better. Even the Killzone demo showed off better visuals than anything out right now.

Even the Killzone demo showed off better visuals than anything out right now.
Killzone has never lacked for awesome visuals (for a console game), it's just lacked for a compelling reason to play it over every other FPS. It's the perfect example of how pretty visuals don't actually sell games when they're literally the only thing it's got going.

Not when compared to playing Crysis 3 on a PC :p

Honestly though, in regards to the rest of the whole PC vs console thing. The only thing I was reacting to was the implication that you couldn't treat your PC AS a console, which is simply not the case. Especially now that Steam has "big picture" mode. It pretty much IS a console that just happens to be on your PC (and has way better graphics :p)[DOUBLEPOST=1361560127][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm just looking forward to playing the next Infamous game without all the frame rate drop.

Not when compared to playing Crysis 3 on a PC :p
Man, I'm a PC gamer. I love my PC. It's relatively high end even (or was a year ago). I played Crysis 1 pretty well maxed out (that I can remember) and the slightly less visually impressive Crysis 2 maxed out.

It didn't look as good as this engine.

Now, if they actually pull this off in something not just being a demo for a game engine then it'll really be something.[DOUBLEPOST=1361560587][/DOUBLEPOST]Dorkly's naked eye is broken.

I'm sorry, but compared to the leaps in graphics that were made between previous eras like NES to SNES or from PS1 to PS2, it is marginal. I'm not saying it does't look great, but honestly, once you take away those vista shots, it's really no different to what we already have or have seen.

Good lord those graphics are... wow. I'm sorry, thats a huge leap forward, the detail compared to whats on the PS3 is far superior.

I mean, WOW.

PC/console is one of those stupid, pointless rivalries like Nintendo/Sega or PC/Mac. Play on whatever you want and who gives a shit what anyone else thinks.

Can I navigate the OS with a controller or do I need a mouse and/or keyboard on my coffee table?
Odds are you'd have to download some periphery software to allow the controller to be used outside of games that come with an option for it by default. I used to have a program that did that, but I can't remember the name.

Odds are you'd have to download some periphery software to allow the controller to be used outside of games that come with an option for it by default. I used to have a program that did that, but I can't remember the name.
Steam is fully operational with a controller, you could have it set to auto start.

Can I navigate the OS with a controller or do I need a mouse and/or keyboard on my coffee table?
The way i have it set up, I do have a wireless mouse and keyboard that are on my coffee table. I also have a completely separate monitor at my computer desk with it's own mouse and keyboard so I can also use it as an office computer. However, steam itself is fully usable with a controller with no extra programs.[DOUBLEPOST=1361562179][/DOUBLEPOST]
PC/console is one of those stupid, pointless rivalries like Nintendo/Sega or PC/Mac. Play on whatever you want and who gives a shit what anyone else thinks.
The thing is, I have no rivalry. I own both a PS3 and a WiiU. I love consoles. I'm just opposed to this stupid idea that PC platforms are some sort of complex mystery machines.

So, as long as I:

• Download and set up Steam myself
  • Set up the OS to auto-start Steam myself
  • Troubleshoot any video, sound, driver, Steam, OS, or other issues myself
  • Replace whatever hardware every few years myself, given that I...
  • ...research which video cards (and/or audio cards and/or processor and/or memory) are the best choices to upgrade to
Then I can enjoy the benefits of better graphics on the rare occasion that I have time and solitude to play video games? I probably would spend more time troubleshooting than actually playing these days. I'll take the all-in-one magic box, thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1361562548][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm just opposed to this stupid idea that PC platforms are some sort of complex mystery machines.
I used to build my own computers once upon a time. I don't any more. Now I prefer to use my time for other things. I know I could do it. I could also grow my own vegetables. Some things are not worth it to me any more to do myself.

fade

Staff member
I personally don't care what anyone else plays on. I just posted why I liked consoles, and why I liked the PS4. It was never meant to be interpreted as an attack on PCs, other than that I personally didn't feel like sitting at one again when I got home. I should've just left it at that, regardless of how easy it is to treat a PC as a console. Certainly don't think of PCs as complicated by any stretch of the word.

The thing is, I have no rivalry. I own both a PS3 and a WiiU. I love consoles. I'm just opposed to this stupid idea that PC platforms are some sort of complex mystery machines.
I agree there, but looking at it from the point of someone who wants to just sit down and play a game, it's easier to pick up a console. You can buy a pre-built PC, but those tend to have a big extra chunk of cash tagged on as opposed to building yourself (which can have its own inherent issues). On top of that, if you don't know much about PCs you'll either be buying blind or spending time doing research to make sure you're getting what you need out of it. Again, snagging a console is just easier.

As for folks who have both consoles and a PC, it's just a matter of preference. I don't think anyone in this thread is particularly mystified by how a PC works/is upgraded.

I personally don't care what anyone else plays on. I just posted why I liked consoles, and why I liked the PS4. It was never meant to be interpreted as an attack on PCs, other than that I personally didn't feel like sitting at one again when I got home. I should've just left it at that, regardless of how easy it is to treat a PC as a console.
It is easy for the console gamers to say, "Go for it PC gamers! have fun!" It doesn't affect you or me what they choose. But PC gamers can be a bit snobby about the quality of their gaming experience. Some even argue that consoles are dragging down their own gaming experiences and gaming options. Mostly I think said people are not really considering that other people have different gaming needs and desires than they have.

The replies in the past few hours here have been hilarious.

There is no PC vs Consoles -war- because there is no fight. If you think that the PC will only marginally be better than a console in terms of running games, you need a better PC. Comparing PC vs Console to PS3 vs XBox vs Wii etc is silly because the difference between consoles was always minimal, but the difference between PC and consoles is much larger (Skyrim if I want to be -snobby- is just a tiny example).

Oh and the reason you got debated fade wasn't because you thought that using your PC as a console was hard, but because you implied that you'd have to sit at a computer screen/desk instead of on a couch/tv. Then made it seem like it would be such a hassle/annoyance to use it as such.

The replies in the past few hours here have been hilarious.

There is no PC vs Consoles -war- because there is no fight. If you think that the PC will only marginally be better than a console in terms of running games, you need a better PC. Comparing PC vs Console to PS3 vs XBox vs Wii etc is silly because the difference between consoles was always minimal, but the difference between PC and consoles is much larger (Skyrim if I want to be -snobby- is just a tiny example).

Oh and the reason you got debated fade wasn't because you thought that using your PC as a console was hard, but because you implied that you'd have to sit at a computer screen/desk instead of on a couch/tv. Then made it seem like it would be such a hassle/annoyance to use it as such.
Nobody made the claim that the difference was trivial. fade did not say it was hard. I could have missed it, so go ahead and quote the people who said as much.

For myself, and I think for fade, it is about creating a very low barrier to entry. Between work and family, I get a chance to play less than an hour a week on average. If I have any annoyance (need to update drivers, Steam isn't working right, XBox Live needs to update) then I am going to go do something else. Yes, PCs are more powerful machines. Yes you can, with some effort, make them very much like a console. No, it isn't worth the time and effort for me to customize my own set up when the amount of time I have to even play games is as low as it is. The only way I am playing any games is if it is ready to go for me.

The majority of this thread proves there is a fight over which is better, the same sort of fight that was pulled over every competing entertainment platform ever, from SNES and Genesis to HD-DVD and BluRay (or hell, even Betamax and VHS). The major difference here is this one's not going to end. All in all it's just another dick-waving contest.

The majority of this thread proves there is a fight over which is better, the same sort of fight that was pulled over every competing entertainment platform ever, from SNES and Genesis to HD-DVD and BluRay (or hell, even Betamax and VHS). The major difference here is this one's not going to end. All in all it's just another dick-waving contest.
Mine is lazier than yours?

GasBandit

Staff member
It is easy for the console gamers to say, "Go for it PC gamers! have fun!" It doesn't affect you or me what they choose. But PC gamers can be a bit snobby about the quality of their gaming experience. Some even argue that consoles are dragging down their own gaming experiences and gaming options. Mostly I think said people are not really considering that other people have different gaming needs and desires than they have.
The major problem I have with console games is they ARE dragging down pc gaming - in the form that developers want to release their games on multiple platforms and code for the least common denominator. Thus, the PC is subjected to shitty console ports galore.

Status
Not open for further replies.