[Question] Post about the last time you thought or did something bigoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, that's not how I feel. It was one of those drunken blurting out moments. Polyamorism I don't get. Lesbianism, sure.

Your third paragraph just answered your first paragraph. A lot of guys still, to this day, don't see lesbianism as "really sex," and therefore isn't cheating. It doesn't matter what lesbians do, these guys will just laugh and smile and point and whoop, even if one of the participants is their bisexual "girlfriend." There has to be a penis involved for them to suddenly flag the activity as sex. The moment there's a penis unveiled within 5 feet of their girlfriend, shit gets serious real fast.
Reminds me of this thing from Notalwaysworking.

People cross the street to get away from me. And when I'm walking at night, I don't want to be near anyone.

For my answer? Earlier today at my new job, I was also training with an overweight black guy who during introductions said he was a musician. I immediately assumed jazz. This may have been because of his clothing too. And probably displays my ignorance towards music more than anything.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reminds me of this thing from Notalwaysworking.
Well, there's also that thing about how often people lie, including to doctors. I don't blame that doctor at all for wanting that test before moving on from there.

When I'm doing tech support, I always check the plugs first, even if they say they checked them.

Mexicans can't be racist, silly.

(this is an immense, gigantic, colossal, giantly gargantuan, enormous, massive, massive, herculean just brobdingnagian lie)

Mexicans can't be racist, silly.

(this is an immense, gigantic, colossal, giantly gargantuan, enormous, massive, massive, herculean just brobdingnagian lie)
No, just the one's that aren't white.

/RACISM![DOUBLEPOST=1357648693][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm divided about your opinion Frank. I know many, many Native people who fit that bill, and I know a great more that aren't. I believe that your self loathing, line of work, coupled with the usual human behavior to look at the negative aspects of anything blind you to some really great people with Native ancestry.
I'm quite aware of how shitty my prejudices are and try quite hard to overcome them, no matter still they always spring to mind first. Canadians are very intolerant of the native populace.

I love it when people use the word brobdingnagian. Though it's technically also a racist term, be it to a fictional people.

I'm definitely a little leery of all those minotaurs hanging around the NSFW forum.
That's so completely discriminatory of you. I'll have you know that minotaurs expose their penises as a sign of respect, it's a completely natural and very old part of their culture. Applying your own values towards the minotaur penis, and judging or fearing them, is the worst form of racism.

That's so completely discriminatory of you. I'll have you know that minotaurs expose their penises as a sign of respect, it's a completely natural and very old part of their culture. Applying your own values towards the minotaur penis, and judging or fearing them, is the worst form of racism.
If they want to show those minotaur penises in public, they should make their own thread for those minotaur penises. That way, whenever someone visits this site looking for minotaur penises, they'll be going immediately to the appropriate thread that Google has indexed as having the most mentions of minotaur penises, and therefore being the most relevant to minotaur penises.

Those of us who don't like seeing minotaur penises shouldn't have to look at minotaur penises.

I had to look up the definition of bigotry in order to properly answer this question.
  1. One who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices.
  2. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, gender or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.
Damn...I'm a secular Safe Zone Ally with two African-American godchildren. I really try not to hate on people unless they give me a damn good reason. However, there is one group of people I can't mother f-ing stand; the anti-atheists or ignorant religious people. I recently had a pinterest comment war when I posted a link for Gen Spec to read about Atheist Wedding Vows. The first comments were supportive but then some girl I did not know had to add "Isnt this Pointless...just dont have a wedding...? Marriage is a religious thang...just curious ...not trying to pick on anyone."

My reply was "Marriage isn't a religious thing for everyone. For my fiance and I, it's about making a commitment to one another to love, support, and care for the other person no matter what comes our way. Also, it's a legal issue. We want to be married in the eyes of the law and not the lord (or higher power) that we don't believe in. This way, we both have rights and privileges over the other person should anything happen."

The one thing that got me was that I was getting advice and information from people who were unmarried, single women that did not know who I was or anything about me. One of my FAVORITE responses was from an early 20's girl who said:

Marriage is a biblical term. It's the coming together of Man and Woman in the eyes of Christ. So technically, marriage is a biblical subject. not saying you can't get married as an atheist, just clearing up water. :)
-And as a Christian (or as 'anything') you make judgement every day. It's perfectly find to judge. To condemn a person? Us as humans are not called to condemn. If you consider yourself a Christian than you would consider Christianity as a practice in reading God's word, sharing his faith and living out life as a Christ follower... Love and acceptance come a long side that. I think all this person was asking is out of pure curiosity. And just because they asked the question doesn't mean they are a Christian wrongfully living out their faith. I personally think it's a beautiful thing when two people come together in marriage. You are committing yourself to one another and promising to live life as one together and to grow and raise a family and to benefit this world together. One piece of advice to any one getting married: Always choose to love your spouse. If you choose to love, you will never fall out of it. Choosing to love is always doing something in the best interest of others, even if it "hurts" and even if it costs you something (i.e. time). :)
When I showed the whole conversation (there were about 6 people involved) to [user]General Specific[/user] he couldn't believe it.

I was a bigot towards those intolerant, ignorant girls on pinterest who were planning weddings they'll never have and decorating houses straight out of a fairy tale. Put my in the stocks and let me serve my time! I was intolerant, angry, and plan pissed off. Naughty Dill! However, they can suck on my imaginary nutsack while I go off and live my happily ever after!

rant over

Oh yeah, I'm definitely bigoted against really really religiously fanatic people... but that's been against what they think, is it really bigotry if it's something they have control over?

[DOUBLEPOST=1357727234][/DOUBLEPOST]
No, just the one's that aren't white.

/RACISM![DOUBLEPOST=1357648693][/DOUBLEPOST]

I'm quite aware of how shitty my prejudices are and try quite hard to overcome them, no matter still they always spring to mind first. Canadians are very intolerant of the native populace.
I don't mean to give you shit for your beliefs Frank, there are times I'm deeply ashamed of my race, it's not borne of simple prejudice either. It's from living on a reservation and seeing many negative stereotypes for myself. However, I can say with sincerity and confidence that many of us are trying to live as best as we can with what we know.

I've found I've actually become more bigoted with exposure to Charlie, not less.

Holy crap! I've felt the same way!

Anyway, being a PT, I find myself being extremely bigoted towards some of my larger patients. We set up stretches and exercises and food plans that are very specifically designed for the individual and to ease away from their current lifestyle. We consistently console these people and tell them they're going to die if they don't change - AND THEY STILL EAT AND DO WHATEVER THE FUCK THEY WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It gets so frustrating sometimes, but the reward comes when there are people that actually do try.

[DOUBLEPOST=1357727234][/DOUBLEPOST]

I don't mean to give you shit for your beliefs Frank, there are times I'm deeply ashamed of my race, it's not borne of simple prejudice either. It's from living on a reservation and seeing many negative stereotypes for myself. However, I can say with sincerity and confidence that many of us are trying to live as best as we can with what we know.
unfortuneatly the nations of Canada have been pushed in this direction in large part by condescending white institutions. The shit that has been perpetuated on your people was cultural and physical, intentional genocide at the hands of an invasive force.

I count myself lucky for meeting a stolo guy whose parents managed to hide him from the residential schools and was able to grow up with the culture and language of his people. He taught me how to strip bark from cedar. Trees And turn it into usefull materials.

The technology and practices of traditional coast salish culture was advanced beyond most peoples realization but was destroyed because it didn't go ping.

While some might say they're bigoted towards the very religious, I tend to find myself getting extremely irritated by the aggressive atheists. I actually find it difficult to read stuff by Dawkins, for instance, because he comes off as such a pompous ass. What's worse, is he's written some excellent biology books I'd probably love to read, but I can't bring myself to do so. I have the similar feelings about Bill Maher.

Necronic

Staff member
Atheists are often some of the most bigoted people I meet, and Dawkins is their Grand Imperial Cyclops.

I don't like frothing fanatics of any creed.

That said, I would highly recommend the book evolution for everybody if you want Intelligent discourse about evolution, collective habitation, altruism, etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1357746707][/DOUBLEPOST]
Atheists are often some of the most bigoted people I meet, and Dawkins is their Grand Imperial Cyclops.

If god exists or not does not effect my belief that some religious texts have good things to say about the human condition.

unfortuneatly the nations of Canada have been pushed in this direction in large part by condescending white institutions. The shit that has been perpetuated on your people was cultural and physical, intentional genocide at the hands of an invasive force.

I count myself lucky for meeting a stolo guy whose parents managed to hide him from the residential schools and was able to grow up with the culture and language of his people. He taught me how to strip bark from cedar. Trees And turn it into usefull materials.

The technology and practices of traditional coast salish culture was advanced beyond most peoples realization but was destroyed because it didn't go ping.
I honestly couldn't agree more. Indian Affairs is a fucking awful, money sucking, corrupt nonsense organization and those running it should probably be in jail. The whole thing sets up a system that promotes resentment on both sides.

All the current legislation being pushed forward is awful.

Not all of us act that way and the same for religious people. Honestly, I'd rather sit down and have a conversation with Stephen Fry, Bill Maher and Ricky Gervais than any scientist- except maybe for Neil deGrasse Tyson. He can come to. He's pretty awesome. I think Louis Theroux put is best in his documentary on the Ultra Zionists when he said that he didn't want to kill anyone and hoped no one wanted to kill him. Those were his religious beliefs summed up. I'm somewhat the same way. Please don't try to convert me and I will gladly do the same. Mutual respect.

I didn't choose St Thoms Aquinas-thug-life, St Thomas Aquinas-Thug-Life chose ME!

Wow, lucky for me I felt like looking him up. Thanks for that, I've seen his name ba died about and we talked about him briefly in my uni phil 101 but I think I'm going to have to do more research of his work.

Necronic

Staff member
Ok, it was unfair to say that Atheists are some of the most bigoted people around, it's clearly not true.

HOWEVER. If you look at bigotry as a function of education:

B(E) = k*1/E + C

Where C is some constant, I would have to say that Atheists have some of the higher "k-values" I have ever seen.

MATH.

I'm bigoted toward math people. Pompous know it alls, the lot of them. I mean, speak English, not some crazy math number hybrid!

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, it was unfair to say that Atheists are some of the most bigoted people around, it's clearly not true.

B(E) = k*1/E + C

Where C is some constant, I would have to say that Atheists have some of the higher "k-values" I have ever seen.

MATH.

****NEEERD*****

I'm bigoted toward math people. Pompous know it alls, the lot of them. I mean, speak English, not some crazy math number hybrid!
No, no, those are guys who speak in l33t. That's okay though, you need to be a math person to tell the difference.

B(E) = k*1/E + C

MATH.
can you define the variables please?

Necronic

Staff member
Its just a practice I picked up at some point. Depending on what kind of math you are doing it makes more sense to cleanly seperate your variables and constants/coefficients.

Status
Not open for further replies.