Export thread

PEOPLE IN SAUNAS! Was About Traditional Marriage

Andromache

I brought this to it's own thread so as to not hijack the book talk thread any further.

The man has a very traditional view of marriage, so what? I'm not sure I understand why disagreement on societal issues is grounds for disliking the man. I like both Richard Dawkins and Phillip Pullman (well, as much as one can without actually knowing them) and I would put money on them calling me a weak-minded fool because of my Christianity.
No, you're right, lesbians and gays are bad humans, and we should not allow them to be legally recognized for their sinning sinning ways by giving them access to legal rights enjoyed by godly married couples. Because god only loves people who love other people the way He wants them too. right. Carry on.

Dave

Dave

Traditional Marriage (was Books discussion)

Oi! What? Married gays =/= Affect on my life.

I would MUCH prefer to see happy, loving gay & lesbian couples adopt children and marry than let some of the people I know have natural ones. Some people I know are Christian heterosexuals and they shouldn't be allowed to raise a fish.

Silvanesti

Im glad you've finally seen the way. Now do three hail marys and two hello dollys.

Dave

Dave

And marriage is a LEGAL contract, not a religious one. So if your religion doesn't like gays that's fine. They don't have to accept them. But it's discrimination to not let them enjoy the full rights and benefits allowed the other members of society. If you think then that it should be called "civil unions", then every STRAIGHT couple who gets married by a justice of the peace should not be "married" either.

Take religion out of the equation and there's NO logical reason why gays/lesbians should be denied the right to marry.

Silvanesti

and in all seriousness. I think that its anyones business. Doesn't hurt me, makes people happy, whats the big fucking deal.

If you dont like it too bad, they are not hurting your ability to do anything.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now do three hail marys and two hello dollys.
That needs to go over the door of every United Universalist Church. (or which ever ones openly accept gays.)

Silvanesti

And marriage is a LEGAL contract, not a religious one. So if your religion doesn't like gays that's fine. They don't have to accept them. But it's discrimination to not let them enjoy the full rights and benefits allowed the other members of society. If you think then that it should be called "civil unions", then every STRAIGHT couple who gets married by a justice of the peace should not be "married" either.
Well i think it started as a religious ceremony, but now has very reall and important legal impact. So if you really care find a church so you can get 'married' and there are churches that accept gay weddings. go to the gov to get your legal marriage and all the legal stuff that goes with it.

edit:

I don't think i am explaining what I mean. What i am trying to say is, if you care about the religious aspect of it then great, go find a church or whatever. That doesn't really matter, the cerimony is just a show and has no impact. Marriage anymore is a legal thing and the gov should not pick and choose who get it.

Covar

Covar

Oi! What? Married gays =/= Affect on my life.

I would MUCH prefer to see happy, loving gay & lesbian couples adopt children and marry than let some of the people I know have natural ones. Some people I know are Christian heterosexuals and they shouldn't be allowed to raise a fish.
you know what has an effect on my life? people using =/= as "not equal to" instead of != as it should be.

On the subject of marriage. It shouldn't be a term used by the state to begin with. Expand Civil Unions to cover any couple (Still have to say barring animals) and pass a law making any reference to marriage in the law to henceforth refer to the Civil Union. Then ban the future usage of Marriage in the making of laws, and problem solved. All Couples get the same legal rights, and marriage is left as a religious issue.

Silvanesti

you know what has an effect on my life? people using =/= as "not equal to" instead of != as it should be.

On the subject of marriage. It shouldn't be a term used by the state to begin with. Expand Civil Unions to cover any couple (Still have to say barring animals) and pass a law making any reference to marriage in the law to henceforth refer to the Civil Union. Then ban the future usage of Marriage in the making of laws, and problem solved. All Couples get the same legal rights, and marriage is left as a religious issue.
This.

Dave

Dave

Well i think it started as a religious ceremony, but now has very reall and important legal impact. So if you really care find a church so you can get 'married' and there are churches that accept gay weddings. go to the gov to get your legal marriage and all the legal stuff that goes with it.
But why should they have to do both when a ceremony in a church is legally binding? Gays/lesbians should be able to either go to a church that will perform the ceremony, justice of the peace or dangling from a fricking balloon if they want. Straight people do it and it's still all legal. Other than religion, give me a legitimate reason why gays should not marry and I may rethink my stance.

Been saying that for years. Never got an answer.

Adam

Adammon

Whatchoo talking about? Not equal to is <>!

ElJuski

ElJuski

Oh seperation of church and state...

"Don't tread on me!...me being middle class white and male! You know, normal! We can still tread on the faggots, muslims and darkies!"

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It shouldn't be a term used by the state to begin with. Expand Civil Unions to cover any couple (Still have to say barring animals)
Humans are animals, but aside from that, I really don't know why that distinction has to be made. No where in the fight for gay marriage has anyone argued for anything other than consenting adults. That they're human should be readily implied.

Covar

Covar

Let us first agree that =/= is nothing more than "equal divided by equal" (1?) and go from there.

Dave

Dave

Let us first agree that =/= is nothing more than "equal divided by equal" (1?) and go from there.
It also could be computer forum shortcut for an equal sign with a slash through it.

Andromache

Oh seperation of church and state...

"Don't tread on me!...me being middle class white and male! You know, normal! We can still tread on the faggots, muslims and darkies!"
/facepalm...

i

Silvanesti

But why should they have to do both when a ceremony in a church is legally binding? Gays/lesbians should be able to either go to a church that will perform the ceremony, justice of the peace or dangling from a fricking balloon if they want. Straight people do it and it's still all legal. Other than religion, give me a legitimate reason why gays should not marry and I may rethink my stance.

Been saying that for years. Never got an answer.
because a ceremony in a church is their own faith or choice or whatever. I do not think the government should tell churches that they have to allow gay marraige if they dont want to. It may be fucked up but I don't think that they should be forced to.

And I am saying this for straight or gay couples, they should do they celibration and cerimony where ever they want. But the paperwork is signed at the court.

ElJuski

ElJuski

/facepalm...

i
I really hope to our lord and savior TV's Tom Arnold that you realize I'm being completely sarcastic?

Andromache

no I did... it still applies.

Dave

Dave

because a ceremony in a church is their own faith or choice or whatever. I do not think the government should tell churches that they have to allow gay marraige if they dont want to. It may be fucked up but I don't think that they should be forced to.

And I am saying this for straight or gay couples, they should do they celibration and cerimony where ever they want. But the paperwork is signed at the court.
Nope. The paperwork is for the civil union part, not the marriage. So they go to the courthouse & sign the marriage certificate, but they are not married until the officiant does the deed. At that time he/she signs the marriage license as does the bride/groom and two witnesses - usually the best man/maid of honor. THEN it's legal. Priests/ministers are recognized under the law to be able to wed people so they are acting in a legal framework. This is what should be rescinded. The actual ceremony should be but is not usually superfluous to the process.

Silvanesti

The actual ceremony should be but is not usually superfluous to the process.
And what I am saying is i think it should be totally superfluous, just a fun thing to do if you want to.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"Do you support gay marriage?"
"Well, first of all, I oppose ALL marriage." - Granddad, The Boondocks

I support the complete secularization of all legal ramifications of marriage and granting all rights and responsibilities therein to any two people, to be applied equally in all respects.

I believe the problem stems from the use of the word "marriage." So let's stop using the word. Churches can still perform their "marriages" for who they want to (and not for who they don't), and when you go to get your license it will say "License for Civil Union" at the top instead of "Marriage License," and the civil union will be as good and legally binding as all currently accepted legal aspects of marriage, whether or not you actually got dressed up, went to church, and shoved cake in your loved one's face till they gagged. Problem solved.

Of course, this, many a time, doesn't satisfy the militant. For them it's not about equality, it's about revenge. It's about "we'll show you stupid damn breeders, we're going to get MARRIED in YOUR church and crush YOUR VALUES like potato bugs under our birkenstocks and there's NOTHING YOU CAN DO about it! Where is your GOD NOW?!"

ElJuski

ElJuski

no I did... it still applies.
Hey just so long as you could figure it out.

Dave

Dave

If you can't tell, the fact that my gay friends can't get married pisses me off. They've been together longer than any married couple I know and yet if one falls sick the other can't visit him in the hospital. If one were to have an accident and die, the other would lose everything that was not in his or both of their names. No say in a living will, no say in any legal matters. How is this fair? How is this just?

It's easy to look down from our ivory towers of inscrutability and judge people who are not like us and whose shoes we can never really walk in. We can hide behind whatever bumper sticker mentality we want to justify the inequalities based on nothing more than our own fears.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Incidentally, I support gay marriage.

Dave

Dave

"Do you support gay marriage?"
"Well, first of all, I oppose ALL marriage." - Granddad, The Boondocks

I support the complete secularization of all legal ramifications of marriage and granting all rights and responsibilities therein to any two people, to be applied equally in all respects.

I believe the problem stems from the use of the word "marriage." So let's stop using the word. Churches can still perform their "marriages" for who they want to (and not for who they don't), and when you go to get your license it will say "License for Civil Union" at the top instead of "Marriage License," and the civil union will be as good and legally binding as all currently accepted legal aspects of marriage, whether or not you actually got dressed up, went to church, and shoved cake in your loved one's face till they gagged. Problem solved.

Of course, this, many a time, doesn't satisfy the militant. For them it's not about equality, it's about revenge. It's about "we'll show you stupid damn breeders, we're going to get MARRIED in YOUR church and crush YOUR VALUES like potato bugs under our birkenstocks and there's NOTHING YOU CAN DO about it! Where is your GOD NOW?!"
Because there's NO militant idiots on the opposing side now in power trying to make constitutional amendments to suppress a specific class of people?

Andromache

Incidentally, I support gay marriage.
keystroke?

(yay, )

Silvanesti

If you can't tell, the fact that my gay friends can't get married pisses me off. They've been together longer than any married couple I know and yet if one falls sick the other can't visit him in the hospital. If one were to have an accident and die, the other would lose everything that was not in his or both of their names. No say in a living will, no say in any legal matters. How is this fair? How is this just?
Its not, its incredibly fucked up. But everything you mentioned is a legal right (though, not a right, if you're gay). and the government should grant that to any couple regardless of gender.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Because god only loves people who love other people the way He wants them too. right.
I find starting a discussion with a strawman argument to be in very poor form.

Espy

Espy

No, you're right, lesbians and gays are bad humans, and we should not allow them to be legally recognized for their sinning sinning ways by giving them access to legal rights enjoyed by godly
...I don't think that's what Rob said or even implied.

For the record, I read a lot of authors I don't agree with/like personally but I enjoy their work, BUT I can see how someone could not be able to do that, particularly on some really big issue.

Andromache

I find starting a discussion with a strawman argument to be in very poor form.
I find your mother to be in very poor form.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Because there's NO militant idiots on the opposing side now in power trying to make constitutional amendments to suppress a specific class of people?
Nowhere in my post did I say any of that (and frankly, they're NOT "in power"). But since you brought it up, I'd have to say those people have been less damaging to the gay rights cause than the militant gays have been. Things were actually going pretty fast down the track to acceptance and equality until activists started stamping their feet and shouting NOW NOW NOW a couple years ago. That just gave the gay-haters a caricature to rally around and organize against.

Really, as often as not, protesting damages the protester's position as much if not more than that which they are protesting against, because often the protester on the street is a brainless twat, representative of the weakest and least resourceful minds of his or her subgroup. The better and brighter ones are bringing about change in other ways, sometimes even within the system itself, and possibly even in such a way that nobody notices the change until it's already become normal. Or at the very least, they have a day job.

SeraRelm

Just want equality, thanks.

*has less than two weeks*

Denbrought

Denbrought

The Ender book series is bad on its own, but in deciding that I don't give a crap about who wrote them. Tolkien could've been a church-raping&woman-burning child molester for all I care, his books are still the same.

Rob King

Rob King

I brought this to it's own thread so as to not hijack the book talk thread any further.

The man has a very traditional view of marriage, so what? I'm not sure I understand why disagreement on societal issues is grounds for disliking the man. I like both Richard Dawkins and Phillip Pullman (well, as much as one can without actually knowing them) and I would put money on them calling me a weak-minded fool because of my Christianity.
No, you're right, lesbians and gays are bad humans, and we should not allow them to be legally recognized for their sinning sinning ways by giving them access to legal rights enjoyed by godly married couples. Because god only loves people who love other people the way He wants them to. right. Carry on.
Holy shit. Where did that come from?

A) That is the most incredible strawman I have ever seen constructed, and in true Wizard of Oz style too: brainless. I didn't say anything that even a retarded monkey could possibly even twist into anti-gay-marriage. I can appreciate that what was said might inspire you to create a dialogue about it, but to structure it as a rebuttal to a post that takes no stance on the issue just makes it look dumb.

B) If you are not a zealot, and you are going to argue against a religious anti-gay-marriage zealot, for the love of God, do not do it on his ground. He is the zealot in the situation. If you say things like 'Because god only loves people who love other people the way ... ' then it means that he gets to judge the validity of your argument. Argue with things like 'we live in a secular society, and even though marriage might have religious roots, we would like to modify it for use in our modern age.' Any protests to this will put him in direct conflict with the entirety of civilization. Zealots are used to that, but it helps one sleep better to know that the bears at the zoo like their enclosures too.

C) This part is off topic, but it needs to be said, since I was so maliciously quoted in the OP, and I like people thinking that I'm a functional member of society (as opposed to a bigot.) My point wasn't that Orson Scott Card was right. My point wasn't even that Orson Scott Card was entitled to his view. My point was that it's a bit silly to radically alter your opinion from "like this person" to "dislike this person" based on only one of their opinions.

I again refer to my example with Philip Pullman: I think his criticism of organized religion is shortsighted and elitist. I think he is quite frankly wrong, in his opinion, and I would certainly argue with him about it. But I don't change my measure of his work based on it, or declare that I dislike him as a human being.

Now, you may continue.

Chibibar

I also support Civil Union. I think the word "marriage" has too much religion in it. The religious people don't like to share with people they don't like (wait.... isn't most religion suppose to love thy neighbors? I guess as long they are not gays but that is a different topic)

There are benefits BY the government for married people. This should be equal across the board.

Krisken

Krisken

Hm. Yup, gays should be able to get married. I got married by a civil servant to my wife. I see no reason others should be denied just because it's two men or two women.

The reason it has to be the word "married" has already been explained by Dave. Healthcare and property laws all state the word "married" and it would cost a fortune to change it.

They don't have to be married in a church, so that argument is pretty weak.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I think the most frustrating thing about this issue is that it's an overblown semantics issue. The word marriage has come to take on both religious and civil/legal meanings. I think even the most devout fundamentalist (ok, probably not the MOST devout) would be willing to relinquish the civil/legal ability of the marriage if they got to keep the word for its religious meaning.

Let the churches perform "marriages" as each church sees fit for religious purposes, and let the civil and legal benefits to such unions be covered in a blanket "civil union", performed by a legal institution. Separate the ceremony from the legal benefit, separate the semantics, provide legal benefits in an unbiased manner to all couples (is it cool to just ignore the possibility of the 3+ person union for now?), and everybody's happy...well, within reason.

Andromache

Holy shit. Where did that come from?

A) That is the most incredible strawman I have ever seen constructed, and in true Wizard of Oz style too: brainless. I didn't say anything that even a retarded monkey could possibly even twist into anti-gay-marriage. I can appreciate that what was said might inspire you to create a dialogue about it, but to structure it as a rebuttal to a post that takes no stance on the issue just makes it look dumb.

B) If you are not a zealot, and you are going to argue against a religious anti-gay-marriage zealot, for the love of God, do not do it on his ground. He is the zealot in the situation. If you say things like 'Because god only loves people who love other people the way ... ' then it means that he gets to judge the validity of your argument. Argue with things like 'we live in a secular society, and even though marriage might have religious roots, we would like to modify it for use in our modern age.' Any protests to this will put him in direct conflict with the entirety of civilization. Zealots are used to that, but it helps one sleep better to know that the bears at the zoo like their enclosures too.

C) This part is off topic, but it needs to be said, since I was so maliciously quoted in the OP, and I like people thinking that I'm a functional member of society (as opposed to a bigot.) My point wasn't that Orson Scott Card was right. My point wasn't even that Orson Scott Card was entitled to his view. My point was that it's a bit silly to radically alter your opinion from \"like this person\" to \"dislike this person\" based on only one of their opinions.

I again refer to my example with Philip Pullman: I think his criticism of organized religion is shortsighted and elitist. I think he is quite frankly wrong, in his opinion, and I would certainly argue with him about it. But I don't change my measure of his work based on it, or declare that I dislike him as a human being.

Now, you may continue.
Did a Christian just say holy shit and for the love of god on the same post?

awesome.

On the subject of your point's clarification, that it's just as silly that people should change their opinion of a person based on one opinion that person holds-- if he wasn't sitting on the board of a lobbying organization try to legislate that opinion into law I wouldn't have given a flying fuck about the man.

However, the moment a person's "opinion" becomes "action" to remove or otherwise block equal access to legal rights enjoyed by married couples, then people who think it's silly to dislike those who hold such opinions can go give a razor bladed pinecone a blowjob, and deserve no civility from me.

Covar

Covar

The reason it has to be the word "married" has already been explained by Dave. Healthcare and property laws all state the word "married" and it would cost a fortune to change it.
no it wouldn't. Find and replace aside, simply pass a law changing all existing references to marriage to refer to civil unions and then be sure to define civil union as a legal contract in the joining of two persons, or some such legalese.

Norris

Norris

I agree with GasBandit *shudder* in that it is the word "marriage" that is likely causing some of the biggest problems. It allows politicians who know better (know that what is most at issue here are the rights and benefits a legal marriage) to prey upon their base that doesn't (marriages happen at churches, the church says gays are wrong, why do gays want into our churches?) to get votes. I certainly agree that gay couples deserve the rights of marriage as much as straight couples. Even VAGUELY legit arguments against such a thing don't hold up:

Argument: Next you'll be fighting for NAMBLA's rights.
Rebuttal: Non-starter, children can not form legal consent to sex and this is one of several things where parental consent has been deemed void.

Argument: Next you'll be fighting for polygamous marriage!
Rebuttal: Maybe. It will depend upon how one defines the terms of marriage contract, but gay marriage will not necessarily make legalizing polygamy/polyandry any easier (not the other way around).

Argument: What about people who want to marry their dog?
Rebuttal: Dogs can not form legal consent. What you do in your own home is your business...so long as you don't get caught raping your dog.

Argument: Can inanimate objects form consent?
Rebuttal: No. Don't even try.

Argument: But two straight guys or girls could get married for health insurance benefits and stuff, totally abusing the system like on Boston Legal!
Rebuttal: And what stops straight people from doing the same thing right now?

Argument:......
Rebuttal: Exactly.

Argument: But Jesus!
Rebuttal: Don't marry gays in your church.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hm. Yup, gays should be able to get married. I got married by a civil servant to my wife. I see no reason others should be denied just because it's two men or two women.

They don't have to be married in a church, so that argument is pretty weak.
Meh, it wouldn't be expensive at all. It would just take:

"WHEREAS: it has been determined that the religious institution of the marriage must be considered separate from the legal recognition of familial civil unions to promote equality and tranquility, all legal and civil rights, responsibilities and arrangements that have involved marriage are now conferred upon the term "Civil Union," and all verbiage in existing law addressing "MARRIAGE" shall now be understood to be referencing Civil Unions, since the Civil Union is now the only such binding arrangement recognized by governmental authority"

or some such. Make it so anybody can say they are married, but it literally doesn't mean a damn thing legally unless they also have a civil union. That way, I could start my own religion, and call the union of two people in love "Eternal wingdingdoodle" and the grand poobah of my church can perform the wingdingdoodle ceremony, and those united in holy eternal wingdingdoodle will still have the same rights as those in that "marriage" thing because they hold the exact same legal documents of civil union.

Krisken

Krisken

no it wouldn't. Find and replace aside, simply pass a law changing all existing references to marriage to refer to civil unions and then be sure to define civil union as a legal contract in the joining of two persons, or some such legalese.
Wait, you're telling me I'm wrong, that it wouldn't take a fortune in time and money to change the word in 50 states, thousands of counties, hundreds of thousands of cities documents?

Covar, I'm sorry. You are oversimplifying to support your position.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wait, you're telling me I'm wrong, that it wouldn't take a fortune in time and money to change the word in 50 states, thousands of counties, hundreds of thousands of cities documents?

That's not how american law works. Even in our own constitution, the repealed amendments are still there. It's just a few amendments down, there are the "this repeals that" in there. You don't have to go back and find/replace all the verbiage and re-pass the laws over again or any such nonsense. You just pass a new law saying what the change is and what it means, and you're done.

nufan

Really, as often as not, protesting damages the protester's position as much if not more than that which they are protesting against, because often the protester on the street is a brainless twat, representative of the weakest and least resourceful minds of his or her subgroup.
Just so I am clear, anti-gay marriage protest groups are just as inane as militant pro-gay marriage groups then?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just so I am clear, anti-gay marriage protest groups are just as inane as militant pro-gay marriage groups then?
Yes. Basically, anybody standing on a sidewalk with a sign is probably a douchebag, no matter what side of what issue he's on.

Norris

Norris

You wouldn't have to physically change the word in every individual document, just equate the terms retroactively and then decide to use the secular term from here on in. I.E., if it came up in a criminal bigamy case where one spouse was wed before the changeover and the other afterward, the "marriage license" and the "civil union license" would be the exact same thing.

Covar

Covar

Krisken said:
and you're over complicating it. Of course something would have to be changed in all 50 states, Marriage is currently a state issue (thankfully). However a state law changing the status of marriage is enough to affect every state, county, and city law that involves marriage. By your logic we would have needed to ratify a new constitution to allow for the public election of senators.

Espy

Espy

Yes. Basically, anybody standing on a sidewalk with a sign is probably a douchebag, no matter what side of what issue he's on.
And should really get a job. Seriously, who the hell has time to do all that protesting?

fade

fade

Nowhere in my post did I say any of that (and frankly, they're NOT "in power"). But since you brought it up, I'd have to say those people have been less damaging to the gay rights cause than the militant gays have been. Things were actually going pretty fast down the track to acceptance and equality until activists started stamping their feet and shouting NOW NOW NOW a couple years ago. That just gave the gay-haters a caricature to rally around and organize against.

Really, as often as not, protesting damages the protester's position as much if not more than that which they are protesting against, because often the protester on the street is a brainless twat, representative of the weakest and least resourceful minds of his or her subgroup. The better and brighter ones are bringing about change in other ways, sometimes even within the system itself, and possibly even in such a way that nobody notices the change until it's already become normal. Or at the very least, they have a day job.
I don't think I agree with you. I think things were fast going down the "it's okay as long as I don't know for sure." path of acceptance (which isn't really much of an acceptance), but I think there's still quite a bit of open dislike that never skipped a beat. Middle america is still very fundamental, and the only rallying the caricatures every made for was a little "See I told you so.", and not "Well, I was okay with you until your buddy over there started protesting." Furthermore, I disagree about who is in power in this situation. We're not just talking about political power. We're talking about everyday social power, which still very much resides in the hands of the majority.

Chibibar

Most laws just retroactively enforced (depending on the law or grandfather in) they (the government) usually don't have to REPLACE previous text unless they are planning to print new ones.

Our Constitution is like that (the U.S. on and Texas). Personally I think the government should do either to make everyone equal

No benefits for married couples (thus no union) or have any family benefits at all. this of course will cost billions in legal services since many laws allow couples to make decision for each other, estate issues, children, parents, etc etc...

OR

Allow unions and just call it Civil Union and gain all the benefits like everyone else. Seriously folks, it is not that complicated.

People in the military (people that I know) takes ADVANTAGE of the marriage bonus just to get extra money. Yes Hetro people takes advantage of the system too. So the argument of two same sex people may get union just for benefits. nothing wrong with that.

And don't even talk about divorce rate. Right now marriage is SOLELY on hetro couples and the numbers are sky rocket. I know many of my gay friends who are together after all the hardship. I don't see them "divorcing" anytime soon. (note: the oldest couple I know have been together for over 50 years now)

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't think I agree with you. I think things were fast going down the "it's okay as long as I don't know for sure." path of acceptance (which isn't really much of an acceptance), but I think there's still quite a bit of open dislike that never skipped a beat. Middle america is still very fundamental, and the only rallying the caricatures every made for was a little "See I told you so.", and not "Well, I was okay with you until your buddy over there started protesting." Furthermore, I disagree about who is in power in this situation. We're not just talking about political power. We're talking about everyday social power, which still very much resides in the hands of the majority.
Well, you have your subjective opinion and I have mine. The way I see it, the cultural acceptance of homosexuality was moving along full steam ahead. Nobody wanted to be called a homophobe, as it was the new scarlet letter. Now it's just an eyeroll. Everywhere you looked, on TV, in newspapers, on the radio, everywhere... homosexuality was becoming more accepted and less feared. Then a vocal minority (of this minority) decided they'd had enough and wanted not only equality but restitution and they wanted it NOW and they were going to chant slogans and hold up traffic until they got it, by gum. Instant backlash. I'd even go so far to say that there'd have been legal gay marriage by 2010 if not for the backlash against the "we're here, we're queer, we're gonna get married in your church, get used to it" crowd.

Norris

Norris

I kind of have to agree with GasBandit. Back in the days of Stonewall (which is fascinating to read about), it was advantageous for gays to be out and proud and facing off with the cops in kick lines. It worked to rise up and say they were mad as hell and they weren't gonna take it anymore. Now, the more flamboyant elements of the gay community (which are exactly as entitled to the rights as their less flamboyant elements) who seem to appear at every protest and parade only serve to give the more conservative and religious elements of our society someone to point to and say "look at that guy in the banana hammock grabbing that other man's crotch! we were right this whole time!".

figmentPez

figmentPez

Argument: But Jesus!
Rebuttal: Don't marry gays in your church.
Sorry, too late. Churches have already been forced by the government to allow homosexual weddings to happen in church owned bulidings.

Andromache

I expect you have a link to that handy?

figmentPez

figmentPez

I expect you have a link to that handy?
No, I didn't, but I found one fast enough:

NJ rules against church group in gay rights case

"A church group that owns beachfront property discriminated against a lesbian couple by not allowing them to rent the locale for their civil union ceremony, a New Jersey department ruled Monday in a case that has become a flash point in the nation's gay rights battle."

Andromache

thanks. Also I lied, your mom was in great form.

tegid

tegid

Sorry, too late. Churches have already been forced by the government to allow homosexual weddings to happen in church owned bulidings.
:blue:

WTF?? The link you provided is not a case of people being married neither BY the church or IN the church!

I didn't read it right now, but did a while ago and if I recall correctly, it was just a matter of discriminating what they rented the building/room/whatever for? Which is NOT 'marrying gays in your church'.

I mean, it's like I was saying: 'fuckin' ******s shouldn't be allowed to marry with us normal people, my church don't allow inter-racial marriage!!' (I know I'm stretching my point a bit). In this case, should a building that is rented by an organisation that belongs to my church be denied to such a couple? No, because that's DISCRIMINATION.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Let civil unions still be marriage and let the religious folk have Super Ultra Pious Marriage. (We have something like that in my old Parish, but it's not called that...)

figmentPez

figmentPez

In this case, should a building that is rented by an organisation that belongs to my church be denied to such a couple? No, because that's DISCRIMINATION.
I'm not sure you wrote that sentence correctly. If a church owned a building anywhere but a beachfront in NJ it could legally discriminate and not rent for homosexual weddings. Not all discrimination is illegal, not all discrimination is wrong. That church was, or will be, forced by the government to allow homosexuals to rent that church buildling to have their marriages performed there. That's not the normal course of action for any organization that rents spaces, and certainly not churches.

GasBandit

GasBandit

:blue:

WTF?? The link you provided is not a case of people being married neither BY the church or IN the church!

I didn't read it right now, but did a while ago and if I recall correctly, it was just a matter of discriminating what they rented the building/room/whatever for? Which is NOT 'marrying gays in your church'.

I mean, it's like I was saying: 'fuckin' ******s shouldn't be allowed to marry with us normal people, my church don't allow inter-racial marriage!!' (I know I'm stretching my point a bit). In this case, should a building that is rented by an organisation that belongs to my church be denied to such a couple? No, because that's DISCRIMINATION.
Where is the line? Where does discrimination start and freedom of association end? Usually when I read "church-owned beachfront property rented for functions" I think church retreat. Maybe that's just me, or maybe it isn't enough that property be OWNED by a church for it to be given the same exemptions as a church. But clearly we don't have enough details one way or the other here to determine what actually happened in Jersey there.

Espy

Espy

I got no problem with what anyone wants to do or whom they want marry. If the government forces private churches, business, whatever to not be able to say no to renting their space out I have very, VERY big problems with that.
I have a private business. I rent it out to groups all the time. I also say NO WAY to some groups. It's my business. I get to decide to whom I rent it out to, end of story.

tegid

tegid

Well yes, then the judge should have judged, and I hope he did, what was the actual use of the place.

Besides that, fig, at least we'll agree that the owner can refuse renting the place depending on what it is going to be used for, but not depending on sexual orientation (see:race, religion, etc.) of the people who're renting it, right? I've given it a bit (a very tiny one) of thought and I think that's probably were the line is.

EDIT: Well I understand that Espy, but should everyone be allowed to deny service based on something like skin color? Or should it be at least something justified like 'those punks looked like they were going to trash my place'*?

*Just to say something, not that I think that's valid.

Espy

Espy

Well yes, then the judge should have judged, and I hope he did, what was the actual use of the place.

Besides that, fig, at least we'll agree that the owner can refuse renting the place depending on what it is going to be used for, but not depending on sexual orientation (see:race, religion, etc.) of the people who're renting it, right? I've given it a bit (a very tiny one) of thought and I think that's probably were the line is.
Why is that? There is a particular group of people I don't rent to because I have concerns that if we do the community around us will associate us with them. Why is that not my prerogative? I'm trying to do what is best for my business and being associated with them could severely hurt our business. Why is it bad that I make that call?

Rob King

Rob King

Did a Christian just say holy shit and for the love of god on the same post?

awesome.

On the subject of your point's clarification, that it's just as silly that people should change their opinion of a person based on one opinion that person holds-- if he wasn't sitting on the board of a lobbying organization try to legislate that opinion into law I wouldn't have given a flying fuck about the man.

However, the moment a person's \"opinion\" becomes \"action\" to remove or otherwise block equal access to legal rights enjoyed by married couples, then people who think it's silly to dislike those who hold such opinions can go give a razor bladed pinecone a blowjob, and deserve no civility from me.
Alright, are you interpreting this back-and-forth as a fight? Because I'm not really sure what my diction has to do with anything, unless you're trying to attack me on personal grounds, asserting that I'm not a "good Christian" or whatever. And what I do with my pinecones is quite frankly none of your business. Perhaps I reacted with a bit more indignation than was due, but just remember who asserted that I held the exact opposite opinion that I actually do.

Now, to the thrust of your reply: I saw the links the first time through, and my opinion still holds. This man sitting on a board for a anti-gay-marriage organization is not qualitatively any different than another man sitting on a board for an organization trying to push gay-marriage into law. I mean, the other man has an opinion too. Is it somehow more valid because it's the opposite of Orson Scott Card's opinion?

You'll probably argue yes, because you seem to be of the opinion that - because the gay rights movement is taking some sort of positive action, trying to spread new rights to those who didn't have them before, it's somehow more justified. But what if I started an organization trying to win voting rights for six year olds? People would remind me that voting is something that a six year old should not be able to do. This guy is saying the same thing: just instead of six year olds, his target is homosexuals, and instead of voting, the issue at hand is marriage.

I realize that six year olds voting and grown adults marrying persons of the same gender have a few qualitative differences that set them apart. But I don't care enough to find a better example, because as I alluded to in the first paragraph of this reply, I'm actually for gay marriage.

But you would effectively charge Orson Scott Card of a thoughtcrime, which isn't cool. And in the end, perhaps Orson Scott Card isn't justified in his opinion. I know if we were both sitting at a bar, and it came up, I would probably take issue with his view. But if you are of the opinion that he shouldn't want to, or shouldn't be allowed to express that opinion, then I definitely take issue with that.

Espy

Espy

EDIT: Well I understand that Espy, but should everyone be allowed to deny service based on something like skin color? Or should it be at least something justified like 'those punks looked like they were going to trash my place'*?

*Just to say something, not that I think that's valid.
Sure, I agree with that, it shouldn't be based on something so basic. However, a PRIVATE group saying we do not rent out our business to group X due to political reasons is fine with me. That church in NJ can say, we don't want to support a political movement or take sides and allowing this would be to close to that for our liking. I'm alright with that. Don't go there if you don't like it, but to sue them since they don't want to be associated with a political movement? That bothers me.
Does that make sense? What I'm really getting at is that I don't think a group should be forced to do something that gives the impression they agree with "X" movement, no matter what. I guess in this case I don't see it as about skin color/sexual orientation/etc but about a political movement that the church group wants to not be associated with. That's not a bad thing, I don't think a GLBT office should be forced to allow a Pro-Life group to rent out their office space. They may not want to be associate with that movement. It's not because they hate religious people or pro-life people.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I'm not sure you wrote that sentence correctly. If a church owned a building anywhere but a beachfront in NJ it could legally discriminate and not rent for homosexual weddings. Not all discrimination is illegal, not all discrimination is wrong. That church was, or will be, forced by the government to allow homosexuals to rent that church buildling to have their marriages performed there. That's not the normal course of action for any organization that rents spaces, and certainly not churches.
Tell me, do you think there is actually a possibility that the church is right? That the homosexuals are sinners?

How about a religion that forbids heterosexualism? Would you be okay with that?

Espy

Espy

Tell me, do you think there is actually a possibility that the church is right? That the homosexuals are sinners?

I can't answer for him but there are many branches of christianity that have no problem with homosexuality and here is the thing about your first question: Any Christian worth his/her salt will tell you that EVERYONE is a sinner, christian, non-christian, etc. I don't think this is about homosexuality as much as it is about a political movement.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I can't answer for him but there are many branches of christianity that have no problem with homosexuality and here is the thing about your first question: Any Christian worth his/her salt will tell you that EVERYONE is a sinner, christian, non-christian, etc. I don't think this is about homosexuality as much as it is about a political movement.
right, where are those tons of fag-loving christians that I hear so much about?

and don't argue with "everyone is a sinner", you know that I meant that if homosexuality itself is a sin.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yes, I think that homosexuality is a sin. (EDIT: I should note that I define homosexuality by action, not by temptation. Someone who is tempted to steal is not a thief. Therefore, someone who is attracted to the same gender is not sinning unless they have sex, or set their mind with intent to commit such deeds.) I also happen to think that every single person ever born is a sinner, in one way or another. It's just the way we're broken. I'm not sure why this is relevant to the discussion. If the church wanted to discriminate against a group that wanted to hold a sock hop I'd still be upset if the government said that was illegal discrimination to do so, even though I find nothing wrong with dancing around with no shoes.

Depends on what you mean by "okay". It would bother me on a personal level, and I would consider them to be wrong, but at the same time I'd be okay with that group existing and believing what they want. I'd certainly be fine if they didn't let heterosexual marriages happen on their property. I'd be fine with them insisting on hiring leaders and staff who agree with and follow their rejection of heterosexuality. They can make whatever strange faces they want at me, and tell me I'd be sinning if I were to get married, to a woman, all they want.

Andromache

What the hell man? After blowing your initial response all up so I could say "whoa whoa you being a homosexual shouldn't be a reason to dislike homosexual haters just because they dislike you enough to try to pass laws to prevent you from having rights!" you get all in my face and call my mom a shitbag!

That's just silly! How dare you dislike someone because they hate you? Your dislike is totally harshing on his right to express his hateful opnion of you; I threby declare this is what you mean and accuse you of accusing him of a thoughtcrime! HA! I win! But oh yah, I'm not a bigot, I totally support gay marriage, I just think Orson Scott Card should be allowed to hate who he wants and not have anyone say they dislike him for that reason in MY presence!
Don't you just hate it when that happens? For what it's worth I'm happy to let him express his opinion. I'm also happy to call him a fuckwit--silly or not.

Also, your mom? total shitbag.

Rob King

Rob King

This is a fun post to latch on to. I know it wasn't meant for me, but I hope nobody minds me throwing my two cents in.

I would have no moral issue with a heterosexuality-forbidding religion, much like I have no moral issue with homosexuals. But at the end of the day, I would offer an wry and wistful expression at the realization that it is genetic and cultural suicide. There might be converts as the old ones die off, but it doesn't really have any potential to propagate itself properly.

Espy

Espy

right, where are those tons of fag-loving christians that I hear so much about?

and don't argue with "everyone is a sinner", you know that I meant that if homosexuality itself is a sin.
Calm down there slugger. I'm not interested in a fight. If we can't do this calmly this thread goes bye-bye.

You asked a question and I gave you an answer. There are several mainline (and some not so mainline) denominations in America that allow gay clergy. Lutherans, Episcopal, Church of Christ, and a few others.
As to sin? Man, I'm not God and I'm not here to tell you what is and isn't sin, it's not really important what "I" think is sin. I believe all are sinners, me, you, everyone. I'm no better than anyone else. I believe that there is grace and forgiveness in Christ. How that works out in your life? That's between you and God, not me. I really don't give a poop who anyone has sex with.

Rob King

Rob King

right, where are those tons of fag-loving Christians that I hear so much about?
I'm one, and the Anglican Church of Canada is a few more. We're a minority, but let's be fair: a global movement of two billion followers is a lot of inertia to redirect, and the whole gay rights thing is only ... what, fifty years old?

You'll see progress: I guarantee it.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Don't you just hate it when that happens? For what it's worth I'm happy to let him express his opinion. I'm also happy to call him a fuckwit--silly or not.

Also, your mom? total shitbag.
/sigh

Sorry you're such a victim. I'm sure you're actually really cool and misunderstood.

Andromache

I'm sorry you're such a douchebag.

Also? Not a victim, just a troll.

Rob King

Rob King

I'm sorry you're such a douchebag.

Also? Not a victim, just a troll.
Right.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

This is a fun post to latch on to. I know it wasn't meant for me, but I hope nobody minds me throwing my two cents in.

I would have no moral issue with a heterosexuality-forbidding religion, much like I have no moral issue with homosexuals. But at the end of the day, I would offer an wry and wistful expression at the realization that it is genetic and cultural suicide. There might be converts as the old ones die off, but it doesn't really have any potential to propagate itself properly.
My point is not about the possibility of propagation, but I haven't got to that part yet. Lets continue:

Would you be okay if that group raised children (adopted or whatever method) and taughed them that heterosexuals are inferiors, and that if they are heterosexuals they are evil and will be punished for that?

I asking this because I am on the opposite side of that question, I always keep hearing the same right about people have the right to have hey own religion and own lives, except, that the moment you even say a word about you faith, it enters others people lives, while is not the complete point, what I want you guys to think, is for a moment, what the possibilities that you are opening when you think that any nutjob can say to they kid:

"You my son, don't deserve my love. Because I have faith in it"

okay sorry, I went off-topic and entered in a personal issue I having, forget about it.

tegid

tegid

Sure, I agree with that, it shouldn't be based on something so basic. However, a PRIVATE group saying we do not rent out our business to group X due to political reasons is fine with me. That church in NJ can say, we don't want to support a political movement or take sides and allowing this would be to close to that for our liking. I'm alright with that. Don't go there if you don't like it, but to sue them since they don't want to be associated with a political movement? That bothers me.
Does that make sense? What I'm really getting at is that I don't think a group should be forced to do something that gives the impression they agree with "X" movement, no matter what. I guess in this case I don't see it as about skin color/sexual orientation/etc but about a political movement that the church group wants to not be associated with. That's not a bad thing, I don't think a GLBT office should be forced to allow a Pro-Life group to rent out their office space. They may not want to be associate with that movement. It's not because they hate religious people or pro-life people.
It does make sense, but there is a detail I don't get. What is it that you see fine?: not renting for a gay marriage (activity), not renting to LGBT group (organisation), not renting to people who just happen to be gay but want to use it for something entirely unrelated with that (just people of a specific condition).

To me the last one is unfundamented discrimination and should therefore be forbidden, the first one is perfectly fine and dandy, and the second one is a bit on the line: I think right now I agree with you, but should the political waters change and the LGBT movement get to be less political and somehow less activist (this is not the word I'm looking for. I have 'reivindicative' in my head but that's just Spanish) then the denial of service would be less justified.

Dave

Dave

okay sorry, I went off-topic and entered in a personal issue I having, forget about it.
I think this type of argument needs more personal touches to it. Too often it's a hidden pain. All we get to see are the extreme cases. Here on this board we have at LEAST three examples of families who were torn apart and just plain evil towards one of their own simply because of their sexual preference. It's sad and happens too often.

Thank you for sharing that.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Would you be okay if that group raised children (adopted or whatever method) and taughed them that heterosexuals are inferiors, and that if they are heterosexuals they are evil and will be punished for that?
That is in no way an inverse of what my church teaches about homosexuality, just for the record.

Legally, I'd be fine with such a group existing. In the United States they are guaranteed the right to whatever religious beliefs they want. EDIT: It'd bother me on an emotional level. The same way the existence of Neo Nazi groups, the KKK, Mormons, Oneness Pentecostals and other groups I consider to be promoting dangerous beliefs, but I also know that what disturbs me on an emotional level isn't necessarily what I should act on. end edit

Whoever told you this is a fool, and does not know what love is. What I know from scripture is that there are none who deserve God's love, but that He loves us anyway. Because He loves us, He commands us to love each other in the same way. Now, there are many who would try and change the definition of what love is from what God has shown us, so to truly examine this issue would take a long discussion on what love really is, as it is far more than just a platitude, but the idea that God does not love those who commit homosexual acts simply because He says that such acts are wrong, and wants them to stop, is patently untrue.

God did not arbitrarily decide some acts are sin for no reason. Those things He has declared to be sin are harmful to ourselves and others. He wants us to stop sinning because He wants what is best for us. I know you do not agree, but that is what is true, regardless. Knowing that what is sin causes harm, how would it be loving to allow someone to continue to cause harm and support them in that? It most certainly wouldn't be. If someone is doing something that is causing harm, the only loving course of action is to tell them that what they are doing is wrong.

Espy

Espy

It does make sense, but there is a detail I don't get. What is it that you see fine?: not renting for a gay marriage (activity), not renting to LGBT group (organisation), not renting to people who just happen to be gay but want to use it for something entirely unrelated with that (just people of a specific condition).

To me the last one is unfundamented discrimination and should therefore be forbidden, the first one is perfectly fine and dandy, and the second one is a bit on the line: I think right now I agree with you, but should the political waters change and the LGBT movement get to be less political and somehow less activist (this is not the word I'm looking for. I have 'reivindicative' in my head but that's just Spanish) then the denial of service would be less justified.
Sure, what you are describing is how difficult of a thing it is. It's very, very hard to determine these kind of things. Such as: "Did that person not get that job because they weren't qualified or due to 'X'?"
It's really hard to know that sort of thing. If I don't rent to a religious group or a GLBT group is it because I hate religion or gays? Or is it because I see the community associate us with either of them as bad for business? I can tell you how I see it but people from both of those camps might accuse me of being a GLBT/Christian hater.
I think it's really important we allow private business' the right to use their space how THEY see fit, not how the government see's fit. Does it mean everything is going to be perfect? No way, but it allows for community policing rather than government policing. Let the community decide if they want to go to the church that makes that call.
I know it's not easy, I don't want to pretend that it is, I really struggle with where the line is on these sorts of things.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

That is in no way an inverse of what my church teaches about homosexuality, just for the record.

Legally, I'd be fine with such a group existing. In the United States they are guaranteed the right to whatever religious beliefs they want. EDIT: It'd bother me on an emotional level. The same way the existence of Neo Nazi groups, the KKK, Mormons, Oneness Pentecostals and other groups I consider to be promoting dangerous beliefs, but I also know that what disturbs me on an emotional level isn't necessarily what I should act on. end edit

Whoever told you this is a fool, and does not know what love is. What I know from scripture is that there are none who deserve God's love, but that He loves us anyway. Because He loves us, He commands us to love each other in the same way. Now, there are many who would try and change the definition of what love is from what God has shown us, so to truly examine this issue would take a long discussion on what love really is, as it is far more than just a platitude, but the idea that God does not love those who commit homosexual acts simply because He says that such acts are wrong, and wants them to stop, is patently untrue.

God did not arbitrarily decide some acts are sin for no reason. Those things He has declared to be sin are harmful to ourselves and others. He wants us to stop sinning because He wants what is best for us. I know you do not agree, but that is what is true, regardless. Knowing that what is sin causes harm, how would it be loving to allow someone to continue to cause harm and support them in that? It most certainly wouldn't be. If someone is doing something that is causing harm, the only loving course of action is to tell them that what they are doing is wrong.
first: Atheist here, I think that you whole concept of god is just make-believe to give you hope and counters your fears. Are you fine with that "religious" view?

second: Go study history.

third: they don't need to say what I quoted, any idiot (well maybe except you) can tell that is the message.

edit:
Third.point.one: my personal issue was that my family had a sort of religious ceremony gathering last sunday and my sister showed a list of things about how to follow the 10 madaments, guess what topic come up?

Rob King

Rob King

Don't worry about it. That's what it means to enter into dialogue.

My point is not about the possibility of propagation, but I haven't got to that part yet. Lets continue:

I asking this because I am on the opposite side of that question, I always keep hearing the same right about people have the right to have hey own religion and own lives, except, that the moment you even say a word about you faith, it enters others people lives, while is not the complete point, what I want you guys to think, is for a moment, what the possibilities that you are opening when you think that any nutjob can say to they kid:

I'm not really sure where to go with that. I would oppose any group that was so bigoted, no matter what side of the sexuality, gender, or racial divide they lay on. That bullshit is not what the world, or even individuals need. So I wouldn't be okay if a sect did that, no. But I'm not okay with denominations that do the opposite, either. There's an issue of love that doesn't get solved there, and reversing the positions just throws contrasting colors on the exact same problem.

I wouldn't argue that such groups have no right to exist, but I would like to think that I would actively live my life in a way to undermine the fundamental problems that give rise to people like that: ignorance, hatred, etc. And when I come into contact with people that have opinions like that, I make it clear why I think they're wrong, and why they are doing more harm than good, even from their side of the fence. I've literally been called a heretic for such disagreements and conversations. Flaming liberals have called me a flaming liberal. I've even had people tell me that I'm an atheist, and a homosexual.

I'm not sure if I'm even still on topic. But I think I responded to what I meant to respond to.

Andromache

I still dislike Orson Scott Card.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Oh for the love of TARDIS, not this one again...

*sighs*

I might as well get prepared.

tegid

tegid

@fig

Firstly, forget that post you answered to. Yep, I was wrong.

Besides that

I know you do not agree, but that is what is true, regardless.
seriously?

Besides that, I have a bit of a problem giving credit to any religion with a strict/complicated set of specific norms supposedly directly given by god. Given that all of them have some different rules, almost all of them must be wrong. General rules are far better in my book and seem less arbitrary and more believable.

This is a huge point for me. I understand the reasoning that god's commandments don't need to be fully understood but just followed, just like a kid should obey their parents for their own good, but I also take into account that religion is not run by god himself but by people, and if they give me rules that seem arbitrary they probably made them up or they are their interpretation of God's word, but they shouldn't restrict my relationship with him.

Also, I am an agnostic now, but when I was a kid (say, 12) I thought homosexuality was 'unnatural' and therefore bad. I got taught some respect for homosexuals in a christian organisation (not a church). I voiced my opinion and the answer I got was something along the lines of: 'Really? Why do you think that? How can we tell them what love is? Heck, sometimes it seems like WE need to be taught what love is, maybe by them.'

Espy

Espy

I think it's also important to remember that our own personal experiences with "GROUP A" are not indicative of everyone who associates with "GROUP A". I got beat up by a couple of black kids when I was 15. I was a little punk with blue hair and weird clothes and they decided I "looked funny".
So I got beat up.
I don't assume all black people hate me or want to beat me up and frankly I get tired of people assuming that just because I'm a christian I must hate gays BUT I understand where it comes from. There are way too many stories like GL's. WAY. TOO. MANY. and shame on Christians who treat anyone like that.
GL, I'm really sorry you have been treated that way, it's terrible. Really shameful and like FP said a terrible representation of the love God wants his followers to show. I'm really sorry.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

I think this type of argument needs more personal touches to it. Too often it's a hidden pain. All we get to see are the extreme cases. Here on this board we have at LEAST three examples of families who were torn apart and just plain evil towards one of their own simply because of their sexual preference. It's sad and happens too often.

Thank you for sharing that.
thank you dave...

... I just feel tired. I feel old, I mean, no offense, but I feel like there is nothing left of my life, there is nothing more to achieve, or hope for, there is no hope at all.

I am near my death, not chronologically, but spiritualy... there wouldn't make a difference.

figmentPez

figmentPez

first: Atheist here, I think that you whole concept of god is just make-believe to give you hope and counters your fears. Are you fine with that "religious" view?

second: Go study history.

third: they don't need to say what I quoted, any idiot (well maybe except you) can tell that is the message.

edit:
Third.point.one: my personal issue was that my family had a sort of religious ceremony gathering last sunday and my sister showed a list of things about how to follow the 10 madaments, guess what topic come up?
1. I am fine with you holding and voicing that view. You're welcome to try and convince whoever you want that you're right. I think you're wrong, so I guess in that respect I'm not fine with it, but there are lots of things I think people are wrong about. I don't spend all day dwelling on those things.

2. I have studied history. I'm well aware that my viewpoint is strongly in the minority. Such has always been the case with those who follow Christ. There has always been the Church within the church. Who is right? Only God can judge. Regardless, I will say what I know to be true, especially when asked.

3. What Christians and "christians" proclaim is not always the same as what God has said to men. What others think that Christians/"christians" have told them is not always what has actually been said. Just because you hear one thing being said does not make that the truth of who Jesus Christ is and what He teaches. I'm sorry that you feel marginalized by your family, but regardless of how their actions make you feel, I will still maintain my beliefs, and proclaim the truth as I know it.

Chibibar

I think we can see the problem of this whole topic is pretty much religion base. I think religion tend to stick its head here and there, while some religion and beliefs are fine, but I don't think it should dictate other people's live that does not concern them.

Government provide benefits to its citizens. Gay people are citizens too. They should have the same right as everyone else. The U.S. has establish many things for equality. My religion believe that ANYONE is a sinner to eat meat, but that make you wrong? no, but if you follow my faith, then you are bad person but if you are not, then technically you are not wrong since we don't have the same faith. Also in my parent's faith, dancing is bad and so is swearing (high level sins) so most of us are doom!!! ;)

Some religion believe sex before marriage is bad but they still do it.

We are talking two people (regardless of sexual orientation) wants to have the same benefits that everyone else is getting.

Tax benefits
medical benefits
estate benefits
legal benefits

these are just the few most hetro couple get and some taken for granted. These laws help protect your family, your property, and your rights if your partner should die.

Same sex couple don't get this... why? the only logical reason I can think of is the religious aspect. I know the "ideal" thing the "separation of church and state" but in reality that is not going to happen... why? each person serving in a government seat believe in something (or nothing) and that will influence them one way or another. I think many people (at least the vocal one) are afraid of change and many will fight tooth and nail to prevent the change. I remember something funny my prof told me a while back

Long ago
Sex before marriage is bad
Divorce is bad
same sex marriage is bad

then sex before marriage is ok
Divorce is bad
same sex marriage is bad

now
sex before marriage is ok
Divorce is ok
same sex marriage is ok

I think in the future all three will be ok. Time are changing. Heck less than 200 years ago anyone who is NOT white is not consider a citizen and have no rights in the U.S.

Andromache

as I said before, their God only loves those who love people the way He meant them to, which is to say sure he loves the sinning homos, but they are still going to burn because they didn't respect his rules about the dance cards. So sayeth the christians, who are fine that we gays exist, but are very tongue clucking about it. Except not all the Christians say the exact same thing, though they are all damningly certain that God gives them the Absolute Truth, and that any other Christians who speak a different truth are totally faux Christians.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I still dislike Orson Scott Card.
and I dislike him for an almost completely different reason. So?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Why is theology even coming into the discussion? You don't need to discuss why in Christianity their God says do this, do that, because it's their belief. You're not going to change that with any reason, because it's not reason that promotes it. It is a relationship of command and obedience. The merits of the command do not apply.

Essentially, turning heads would be about turning beliefs, not about what goes on inside the Christian faith. You're not going to change what a person's holy book says, but whether they believe everything in it.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

as I said before, their God only loves those who love people the way He meant them to, which is to say sure he loves the sinning homos, but they are still going to burn because they didn't respect his rules about the dance cards. So sayeth the christians, who are fine that we gays exist, but are very tongue clucking about it. Except not all the Christians say the exact same thing, though they are all damningly certain that God gives them the Absolute Truth, and that any other Christians who speak a different truth are totally faux Christians.
yeap, pretty much that.

I also love how the whole thing is built around the principle "Do this to get a reward/Don't do this to don't get punished" system, one things that really drives away is the underline conclusion that they are generous only because they are selfish.

Andromache

Why is theology even coming into the discussion?
because they use the theology to justify the acts of legislation. I would love to have a long debate as to the nature of the secular civil union issues at hand, but NOM for example, presents anti-gay marriage efforts as an attempt to save "religious liberty."

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Why is theology even coming into the discussion?
Because most people in this discussion, have a rudimentary set of skills that allow them to realize a obvious conclusion:

Most homophobic movements are religious motivated/justified.

edit: Also, I just wanted to note that I never actually used the words "You are a idiot" in this post, and surely din't deleted them, before posting it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

seriously?
Yes, seriously. What I meant was that what is true is true regardless of who believes it. Simply disagreeing with something does not make it false. I'm sorry that I came across as claiming that what I know to be true is absolutely true regardless of evidence, but I'm rather used to getting the argument that "I don't agree with you, therefore anything you've said is absolutely wrong and can't even be examined to see if it's self-consistent." Especially in regards to Christianity. EDIT: in fact, we've already seen quite a bit of that in this thread. I've been responded to with insults, mockery, and people claiming that Christianity can't be true simply because it doesn't sit right with them. end edit

Besides that, I have a bit of a problem giving credit to any religion with a strict/complicated set of specific norms supposedly directly given by god. Given that all of them have some different rules, almost all of them must be wrong. General rules are far better in my book and seem less arbitrary and more believable.

This is a huge point for me. I understand the reasoning that god's commandments don't need to be fully understood but just followed, just like a kid should obey their parents for their own good, but I also take into account that religion is not run by god himself but by people, and if they give me rules that seem arbitrary they probably made them up or they are their interpretation of God's word, but they shouldn't restrict my relationship with him.
Well, I think your prejudice is holding you back from understanding. I certainly don't teach that God's command's can't be understood. While I will say that fully understanding God is humanly impossible, I don't hold that God wants us to follow unquestioningly. In fact a recurring theme in scripture is "come let us reason together". God wants us to be active participants, and tells us that over and over again. The fact that God has already told us what is right and wrong is no reason for us to think that our understanding plays no role in how we relate to Him. Simply because we have concrete declarations of what is right and wrong, foreverandeveramen, does not mean that such declarations are automatically wrong at some point and therefore wrong altogether.

Andromache

Point therein: stepping past the "It's wrong because a book claiming to have been written by Divinely inspired men as the hands of God says it's wrong and my God is Never Wrong" arguement the point of the anti-gay movement still seems mighty shakey from a secular logical standpoint

"It's traditional! Preserve traditions!"

Yeah? like slavery?

"Its what our forefathers intended!"
As written by them right there in the Constitution... "Gay Marriage is illegal." Oh wait.

So in the end, the only argument is that its wrong because a god I don't believe exists has told these people it's wrong, and that I should believe them because their god is truthful, while all other gods are fake.

Espy

Espy

I agree Crone, it's a very poor argument.

Andromache

oh yeah? Well your mother smelt of elderberries!

Chibibar

I agree Crone, it's a very poor argument.
I second it.

This is why one first page, when you take out religion out of the argument, there isn't a thing wrong for having TWO people (regardless of sex) being together.

Espy

Espy

oh yeah? Well your mother smelt of elderberries!
:moon:

tegid

tegid

Yes, seriously. What I meant was that what is true is true regardless of who believes it. Simply disagreeing with something does not make it false. I'm sorry that I came across as claiming that what I know to be true is absolutely true regardless of evidence, but I'm rather used to getting the argument that "I don't agree with you, therefore anything you've said is absolutely wrong and can't even be examined to see if it's self-consistent." Especially in regards to Christianity. EDIT: in fact, we've already seen quite a bit of that in this thread. I've been responded to with insults, mockery, and people claiming that Christianity can't be true simply because it doesn't sit right with them. end edit
That's exactly how your sentence came through!
Also, using the word 'know' instead of 'believe' doesn't do much good in a discussion. It makes it look like you think you are in posession of absolute and unchallenged truth (especially with how you posted it before).

I more or less get you now, so no worries.

Well, I think your prejudice is holding you back from understanding. I certainly don't teach that God's command's can't be understood. While I will say that fully understanding God is humanly impossible, I don't hold that God wants us to follow unquestioningly. In fact a recurring theme in scripture is "come let us reason together". God wants us to be active participants, and tells us that over and over again. The fact that God has already told us what is right and wrong is no reason for us to think that our understanding plays no role in how we relate to Him. Simply because we have concrete declarations of what is right and wrong, foreverandeveramen, does not mean that such declarations are automatically wrong at some point and therefore wrong altogether.
I don't understand the bolded part. I am not saying that they are ALL necessarily wrong, just that they are more easily challenged. For instance, you say that God invites us to reason and to understand his commandments. You do understad that the bible you read has gone though several translations and sometimes contradicts itself, right? From this it is obvious to me that the commandments are open to interpretation, even if in the smallest bit. And since many churches rewrite them in slightly or strongly different ways, it is difficult to know which set is the right one (if there is one).

Also, all of this comes from what I read in your posts and, if you want, my being very tired. NOT from prejudice. I have been a catholic (in my own way) for most of my life and I still respect and more or less follow tha values I did back then. I just lost faith.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Point therein: stepping past the "It's wrong because a book claiming to have been written by Divinely inspired men as the hands of God says it's wrong and my God is Never Wrong" arguement the point of the anti-gay movement still seems mighty shakey from a secular logical standpoint
If that were the sole extent of my argument, that would be pretty weak. I don't believe the Bible simply because it exists and people told me to believe in it. There is ample evidence that the Bible is what it claims to be, while other books and belief systems are not.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

This is why one first page, when you take out religion out of the argument, there isn't a thing wrong for having TWO people (regardless of sex) being together.
Actually, that remains to be seen. Time will tell what will be known from psychological and scientific studies, sociological impact of homosexuality and other sources besides religion. Just because you assume that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, and similiarly assume that all evidence against is solely based on religious bias does not make it so.

Espy

Espy

If that were the sole extent of my argument, that would be pretty weak. I don't believe the Bible simply because it exists and people told me to believe in it. There is ample evidence that the Bible is what it claims to be, while other books and belief systems are not.
That's the crux of the problem. I believe that the bible is much more than just a book, others do not. Why on earth should they take it seriously like we do? They shouldn't! They have no reason to.
This is why when we get into these kinds of arguments it's just beating our heads against brick walls to an extent. We are dealing with matters of faith and belief that are bridges we cannot mutually exist together on.
That doesn't mean we don't have things we can discuss and agree on, it's just that if I argue from something and use it as my base of understanding and authority and you don't agree with that then we really can't move very far forward together can we?

figmentPez

figmentPez

You do understad that the bible you read has gone though several translations and sometimes contradicts itself, right?
I realize that there are multiple translations of the Bible. However, I do no know of any definitive contradictions aside from simple typographical numerical contradictions (1,000 Israelites vs 100 Iraelites) that are non-doctrinal. I do know that there are many supposed contradictions, but they're pretty much along the lines of someone taking a science text and saying "here it says that electrons travel at the speed of sound, and here it says that electricity travels at the speed of light, so this science textbook contradicts itself!" It's not a contradiction if you examine the concepts being conveyed, rather than preconceptions.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

That's the crux of the problem. I believe that the bible is much more than just a book, others do not. Why on earth should they take it seriously like we do? They shouldn't! They have no reason to.
Well, no reason that has been given in this thread. There exists ample reason to take Jesus Christ seriously, even if they are not aware of it, or have dismissed it out of hand.

This is why when we get into these kinds of arguments it's just beating our heads against brick walls to an extent. We are dealing with matters of faith and belief that are bridges we cannot mutually exist together on.
I didn't really start posting in this thead looking for a religious debate or argument. I simply wanted to point out a news event I was aware of. Then I was asked questions about what I believe, and I answered.

Andromache

I don't believe the Bible simply because it exists and people told me to believe in it. There is ample evidence that the Bible is what it claims to be, while other books and belief systems are not.

Ample evidence? Oh really? Such as?

Evidence in its broadest sense includes everything that is used to determine or demonstrate the truth of an assertion. Giving or procuring evidence is the process of using those things that are either a) presumed to be true, or b) were themselves proven via evidence, to demonstrate an assertion's truth. Evidence is the currency by which one fulfills the burden of proof.
So yes, since you assert there is ample evidence, I await its procurement so that under such fulfillment of the burden of proof, I can repent, take up your god as my saviour and marry a good man. And don't say that isn't your job, the whole Great Commission thing kinda says otherwise.

Unless of course, you selectively choose which part of the Truth Almighty to follow.

tegid

tegid

But what is being conveyed in the Bible as a whole or in individual passages is something that two different people may not agree on. The only thing that is impossible to discuss is the exact words used, and as you are saying (if I get you right) one needs to go beyond that literal interpretation (even if only because literal reading is not coherent). Hence why I say that god's commandments are open to interpretation.

With science books you can find explanations about every single little thing and therefore there is not much space for interpretation. The Bible is much more complex and doesn't spell it out so much, so it allows different readings.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Ample evidence? Oh really? Such as?
Go here: http://faithcommunitynetwork.com/ Ask your questions. You've already spat in my face, figuratively. Why should I believe you even care what evidence convinced me?

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

With science books you can find explanations about every single little thing and therefore there is not much space for interpretation.
Oh good grief. Do you really believe this? You can't find explanations of everything in science books, and there is a lot of space for interpretation in advanced sciences. You are aware that the theories of lift and areodyamics the Wright Brothers successfully tested and built their plane on, and those held for decades after, ultimately were proven to be false, aren't you?

Andromache

So you're asking someone else to present the ample evidence you claims exists. You can't or won't do it yourself. You've failed the burden of proof part of the assertion. Thought so.

tegid

tegid

Also, I sincerely think (and please no one be offended. I'm just posting a personal belief, if you want to see it that way) that it's a bit delusional thinking the bible is the exact word of god given that it was transmitted and written by men, and rewritten again.

Aaand I'm thinking I don't understand why you'd want to prove faith. If you do that it stops being faith and becomes knowledge. Is that why you say that you know, fig?

Edit: Also, even if you can prove the Bible is God's word and whatnot, there's the interpretation matter.

I'm asking a partly unrrelated question too: does it say it clearly (or can be easily inferred) in the Bible that the world is 6000 years old?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Aaand I'm thinking I don't understand why you'd want to prove faith. If you do that it stops being faith and becomes knowledge. Is that because you say that you know, fig?
You and I have very different definitions of faith. If what you believe is evidenced to be true, it does not change faith into something else. Knowledge and faith are two different classes of things. Faith, as the Bible uses the term, is not blind belief in something. Faith is the knowledge based belief that God is who He says He is, and that He will do what He says He will do. It is the assurance for the future that God will continue to be who He is already known to be, the foundation of hope.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

I'm asking a partly unrrelated question too: does it say it clearly (or can be easily inferred) in the Bible that the world is 6000 years old?
No, it doesn't. It takes quite a bit of math and assumptions to even reach that number (counting ages in genealogies, assuming that all the begats are direct relationships, even in the face of evidence that such phrases often talked about grandsons or great-great-grandsons). Even if someone believes that Genesis is a completely literal book, and that things happened exactly as it recounts, with no room for poetic imagery and/or metaphysical allegory, it still takes more than a simple quotation of scripture to arrive at the approximate timeline of Adam and Eve being ~6,000 years ago.

SeraRelm

Token says Stan doesn't get it.

tegid

tegid

You and I have very different definitions of faith. If what you believe is evidenced to be true, it does not change faith into something else. Knowledge and faith are two different classes of things. Faith, as the Bible uses the term, is not blind belief in something. Faith is the knowledge based belief that God is who He says He is, and that He will do what He says He will do. It is the assurance for the future that God will continue to be who He is already known to be, the foundation of hope.

Wait wait. Belief IS something different than knowledge. If it's completely proven it isn't belief but knowledge. Although if you mean belief based in a certain amount of knowledge to back it or make it sound but not covering it, that I can accept.

What is a bit more problematic for me is the previous point that there is so much proof that the Bible is the true thing. If that's true, how come there isn't A LOT more people who know about it?

No, it doesn't. It takes quite a bit of math and assumptions to even reach that number (counting ages in genealogies, assuming that all the begats are direct relationships, even in the face of evidence that such phrases often talked about grandsons or great-great-grandsons). Even if someone believes that Genesis is a completely literal book, and that things happened exactly as it recounts, with no room for poetic imagery and/or metaphysical allegory, it still takes more than a simple quotation of scripture to arrive at the approximate timeline of Adam and Eve being ~6,000 years ago.
Thaat's what I thought, wanted to make sure. Thanks!

meyoumeyou

Skipping from the O.P. straight to this because theres no telling whats in those 4 pages...

...seriously, if anyone wants the general pointless blight that is marriage, my condolences and more power to you.

(though I can admittedly understand it having a certain purpose and appeal for those who have been discouraged and outright barred from being a part of it.)

figmentPez

figmentPez

Wait wait. Belief IS something different than knowledge. If it's completely proven it isn't belief but knowledge. Although if you mean belief based in a certain amount of knowledge to back it or make it sound but not covering it, that I can accept.

What is a bit more problematic for me is the previous point that there is so much proof that the Bible is the true thing. If that's true, how come there isn't A LOT more people who know about it?
We're defining words differently. Most knowledge is simply something that is believed. Even raw data involves some kind of belief. I'd rather not devolve into solipsism, or worse, though.

As to why evidence for the Bible isn't more widely known? Well, first and foremost is prejudice. We're all sinners who don't want to look into the mirror and see who we really are. (See Romans 1). As long as we don't face the evidence, we don't have to face ourselves.
- Second is the power of skepticism in philosophy. It's easy to doubt everything, but the consequences of such doubt is destruction of the self as well. Even in face of that, and all the skeptic philosophers who have driven themselves to alcoholism and death, it still remains easier to reject all evidence individually than it is to take it all as a whole and see the big picture. A doesn't prove anything alone, so it's not evidence. B by itself isn't compelling. C is just hearsay.... QuadrupleZF might just be a coincidence...
- Thirdly, a lot of evidence is individual. It means something to one person, but that wouldn't hold the same weight to another. For instance, in the ongoing knowledge of God in my life was the miraculous healing of my older sister's broken neck, during chemotherapy. You can't see the X-rays and CAT scans and other medicial evidence I have seen, not on these forums at least. You can't know the path her life took both before and after. For those reading this post it's just a medical fluke. A random chance thing that is explained as a unusual occurance, even though it has no medical explanation. (skeptecism, again) Or maybe it's easier to believe I'm just lying. More than just personal stories, what is important to one person isn't important to another. To some archeological finds are amazing, to others they're just rocks. To some philosophial arguments hold great sway, to others the most poignant words are flimsy nothing compared to actions.
- Fourth, there's a lot of bad scholarship out there. Same holds true for most other fields though. It's easy to set up strawmen of those doing a poor job.
- Fifth, many Christians don't bother to learn more than it took to convince them of the truth. It's sad but true, there aren't many people who seek to know all might be used to convince anyone.
- and many reasons besides.

Rob King

Rob King

There is plenty of evidence that scriptures are authentic. You can believe that the Gospels were written by eyewitnesses, and that the Pauline Letters were written and sent within a century after the crucifixion of Jesus. However, due to the nature of the writings, the writers, and the circumstances they claim to tell of, the contents of the Testament will forever be under scrutiny.

Which is quite frankly where they belong anyhow. I don't subscribe to the notion that blind faith is the purest faith. Those who have not seen but still believe can have their extra blessing, if there is any. But it isn't for me. I don't believe it's for most people.

If you don't mind the notion of throwing away an afternoon reading Christian literature, I'd encourage you to read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. I put it only a half-step behind the bible in importance to a Christian, and to a non-Christian, it might be a valuable look into how an intellectual such as Lewis came to be convinced of the gospel.

Let me be clear: this is not me evangelizing. Mere Christianity isn't the conversion button by a long shot. But I think it will at the very least be enlightening to anyone curious about the mind of a theist.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

*sigh*

bhamv3

bhamv3

Yo Ranger, got any room in that sauna for me?

tegid

tegid

There is plenty of evidence that scriptures are authentic. You can believe that the Gospels were written by eyewitnesses, and that the Pauline Letters were written and sent within a century after the crucifixion of Jesus. However, due to the nature of the writings, the writers, and the circumstances they claim to tell of, the contents of the Testament will forever be under scrutiny.
[/QUOTE]

That much I know, of course (Well, I thought it was unclear a couple of the gospels were written by eyewitnesses but that's not important). By 'true thing' I mean 'the real word of god', which is what I understood fig was saying.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Maybe... Do you have beer? Or sausages?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Maybe... Do you have beer? Or sausages?[/QUOTE]

Beer, yes. Sausages, just the one.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well, I thought it was unclear a couple of the gospels were written by eyewitnesses but that's not important.
Technically all the gospels where rewritten or transcribed a couple of times some time before the 3rd century when they finally decided what should go in the Bible and what shouldn't or was simply heresy.

Rob King

Rob King

Well, I thought it was unclear a couple of the gospels were written by eyewitnesses but that's not important.
Technically all the gospels where rewritten or transcribed a couple of times some time before the 3rd century when they finally decided what should go in the Bible and what shouldn't or was simply heresy.[/QUOTE]

When the early church fathers decided what would become scripture and what would not, it wasn't as arbitrary as some might have you believe. Most of the doccuments (including the gospels) were already widely used in the Church. The church in Bobville might not have used the Gospel of John, and the church in Icecream City might have also had readings from the Gospel of the Fonz, but the libraries that the various churches had assembled would have all looked pretty similar to the testament we use now. The most controversial book in the canonization process was the Apocolypse of John, and while some end-of-the-world Christians might lean heavily on it, it's hardly integral to our understanding of the life, works, and message of Jesus.

As far as the proof that the gospels were written by eyewitnesses, the lack of evidence to the contrary acutally acts as proof for their authenticity. Christianity was originally seen as a breakaway Jewish sect, and the Jewish authority didn't like that. If the gospels were written within a generation of the death of Jesus, then plenty of jews had the opportunity to contradict what the gospel writers had said. And the Jewish authority would have made a very clear record of any objections. Since there are no contradictions recorded by the Jews, it's very safe to assume that there were none, or if there were: that they were entirely insubstantial.

SeraRelm

My God's realer than your god! *throws a few more books on the fire* No one's said anything to the contrary!

Andromache

There's a lesson to be learned from the ramblings dear Sera, and that lesson is this "credibility be damned, I still get to be righteous, and that matters more than anything."

SeraRelm

I only really read this latest installment of "My [strike]faith[/strike] FACTS!" to be honest. It was the shortest one so far.

Andromache

Well, if nothing else, discussions like these are revealing in character. Take me for example, I now not only get to dislike Orson Scott Card, but also Rob King and Figpez. That's like a bonus! And I don't have to feel bad for them, because they have their god to console them. And I still get to be gay and heretical! Everyone wins!

Chibibar

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5280336n

LOL.. I love the last line. (I find it very funny and hypocritical)

GasBandit

GasBandit

That it was spoken by a loud woman in a do-rag and tie-dyed shirt just goes to show you that you can't judge books by covers, I suppose.

Rob King

Rob King

That it was spoken by a loud woman in a do-rag and tie-dyed shirt just goes to show you that you can't judge books by covers, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't she know she could catch the gay from that ice cream?

Chibibar

That it was spoken by a loud woman in a do-rag and tie-dyed shirt just goes to show you that you can't judge books by covers, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't she know she could catch the gay from that ice cream?[/QUOTE]

Heh. I wonder if there is a sign saying, "by accepting this ice cream, you are supporting gay rights" will she still eat it?

I am guessing yes.

tegid

tegid

But she's taking measures! She won't give any to the kid, who is vulnerable to the gay and eat it all herserf.

Ahh mothers. Always thinking of their kids :)

David

David

Yes. Basically, anybody standing on a sidewalk with a sign is probably a douchebag, no matter what side of what issue he's on.[/QUOTE]

Well! My "Eat at Joe's" sign an I will go somewhere we're more appreciated! :angry:

Also, since I'm sick of talking about this topic with this forum (everyone has posted the same old debates in the last 10 threads about gay marriage) I'll just present one thing to think about.

Without homosexuality, where will lesbian porn come from??

:smug:

@Li3n

@Li3n

Same place it comes from now, porn actresses getting payed to do it...

Well, if nothing else, discussions like these are revealing in character. Take me for example, I now not only get to dislike Orson Scott Card, but also Rob King and Figpez. That's like a bonus! And I don't have to feel bad for them, because they have their god to console them. And I still get to be gay and heretical! Everyone wins!
I don't think being an unbeliever makes you heretical...

Andromache

Heresy is proposing some unorthodox change to an established system of belief, especially a religion, that conflicts with the previously established opinion of scholars of that belief such as canon.
like say, acceptance of gay marriage as just as good as heterosexual marriage.

Tiq

...wooooow.

You know... some of the posts in here remind me of exactly why I don't get involved in these so called "civil discussions"

Like this wonderful little nugget of bullshit, for example...
Go here: http://faithcommunitynetwork.com/ Ask your questions. You've already spat in my face, figuratively. Why should I believe you even care what evidence convinced me?

You've just got to love the hypocrisy, don't you? A man complaining about small mindedness, when he's already stated near the beginning of the discussion that he's got a problem with homosexuality.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Heresy is proposing some unorthodox change to an established system of belief, especially a religion, that conflicts with the previously established opinion of scholars of that belief such as canon.
like say, acceptance of gay marriage as just as good as heterosexual marriage.[/QUOTE]

if you're thinking heresy in terms of social mores then right... but i'm pretty sure you're not preaching that the Bible or God says it's ok...

As in you're only a heretic if you're a Christian but not another religion (muslims and jews sharing the old testament etc. make that muddy, but you should get what i mean).

Andromache

see, i firmly believe "God" says it's ok, and that the Bible isn't the final arbiter of "God" yet and that Christianity as a whole is just a superstructured framework to impose political will upon populations.

"Do as is written in this book or our God will smite you, even though he loves you."

Rob King

Rob King

You've just got to love the hypocrisy, don't you? A man complaining about small mindedness, when he's already stated near the beginning of the discussion that he's got a problem with homosexuality.

I don't see anybody here crusading, or acting in hatred toward homosexuals. Not even those who believe it's wrong. They believe it's unnatural, and are discussing why they think that. I don't see intolerance. I see disagreement.

I'm not going to mince words. I think both figiment and espy's opinions on the matter are dated. In a few decades, they will be seen with the same eyes that see heliocentricists now. But getting up in their faces for being 'intolerant' is both idiotic, and counterproductive.

I give you my full blessing if you want to tear into someone who actually hates homosexuals. That's intolerance. And like I said in a previous post, I've torn into those people myself. But you take a man who simply disagrees on the mechanics, reasons, or nature of homosexuality, a man who until today was at least tolerant, if unsettled by the idea. Take that man, and fly at him for being intolerant, and he soon will be.

And then you've taken one previously possibly-swayable-by-the-facts vote for Prop 8, and turn it into a 'damn-homer-sekshuls-killed-mah-dog' vote.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

see, i firmly believe \"God\" says it's ok, and that the Bible isn't the final arbiter of \"God\" yet and that Christianity as a whole is just a superstructured framework to impose political will upon populations.

\"Do as is written in this book or our God will smite you, even though he loves you.\"
Crone, this might sound rediculous considering how angry at you I was yesterday, but you just hit the nail so hard on the head it isn't even funny.

Andromache

Rob king, Friend of Unnatural Homosexuals everywhere; would like to know why everyone is on his case just because he Tolerates them, and he is quite shocked that people seem to act idiotically (that is, disagree with him anytime he calls some an idiot, states the act silly or stupidly) and is willing to lend his permission only to "good causes"

Espy

Espy

I'm not going to mince words. I think both figiment and espy's opinions on the matter are dated.
Wait a minute... what view is that? That I think homosexuals should be allowed to get married? That's my view so I'm not sure what exactly you are referring too...

Rob King

Rob King

I'm not going to mince words. I think both figiment and espy's opinions on the matter are dated.
Wait a minute... what view is that? That I think homosexuals should be allowed to get married? That's my view so I'm not sure what exactly you are referring too...[/QUOTE]

Aww, shit. Fingers moved faster than my brain. I was thinking about the whole "homosexuality = bad" thing, and also thinking that I wanted to date you ... and then it got all mashed up and ... sorry!

Espy

Espy

Wait a minute... what view is that? That I think homosexuals should be allowed to get married? That's my view so I'm not sure what exactly you are referring too...[/QUOTE]

Aww, shit. Fingers moved faster than my brain. I was thinking about the whole "homosexuality = bad" thing, and also thinking that I wanted to date you ... and then it got all mashed up and ... sorry![/QUOTE]

Dude. We went on that one date to the waterpark. It was awkward and you wouldn't buy me any cotton candy. It's not happening.

Krisken

Krisken

Wait a minute... what view is that? That I think homosexuals should be allowed to get married? That's my view so I'm not sure what exactly you are referring too...[/quote]

Aww, shit. Fingers moved faster than my brain. I was thinking about the whole "homosexuality = bad" thing, and also thinking that I wanted to date you ... and then it got all mashed up and ... sorry![/quote]

Dude. We went on that one date to the waterpark. It was awkward and you wouldn't buy me any cotton candy. It's not happening.[/QUOTE]
Prude.

Espy

Espy

I'm just old fashioned.:humph:

Andromache

Thank you Espy, you have helped me ruin a new sweater. Now to get more coffee

Espy

Espy

I hear it's all the rage with the kids today.

GasBandit

GasBandit

:smug:
A straight american girl is never more than 8 tequila shots away from faux lesbianism.

Rob King

Rob King

Wait a minute... what view is that? That I think homosexuals should be allowed to get married? That's my view so I'm not sure what exactly you are referring too...[/quote]

Aww, shit. Fingers moved faster than my brain. I was thinking about the whole "homosexuality = bad" thing, and also thinking that I wanted to date you ... and then it got all mashed up and ... sorry![/quote]

Dude. We went on that one date to the waterpark. It was awkward and you wouldn't buy me any cotton candy. It's not happening.[/QUOTE]
Prude.[/QUOTE]

Prude? You obviously didn't see the bikini he was wearing.

And everybody knows cotton candy at a water park is just a recipe for disaster!

Andromache

I hear it's all the rage with the kids today.[/QUOTE]

*drinks*

crunchy.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

You... you ate hypnotoad...

Andromache

Better to eat a toad than submit to same lame exclusionary idea of who I can and cannot love based on their gender.

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

Like this wonderful little nugget of bullshit, for example...
I'm small minded simply because I hold a position that is different from yours? That's not a logical conclusion, but anyway...

I didn't complain about small mindedness, I complained about rudeness. I posted that I thought it was counterproductive to start a discussion with a strawman argument, and I provided a link to an article that showed that a church had been forced to allow a homosexual marriage occur on their property. For my comments, Crone pulled out a couple of "yo mamma" jokes. Have I been rude to anyone in this thread?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Hey NR, you got any room for a fellow beard brother?

Andromache

I didn't complain about small mindedness, I complained about rudeness. I posted that I thought it was counterproductive to start a discussion with a strawman argument, and I provided a link to an article that showed that a church had been forced to allow a homosexual marriage occur on their property. For my comments, Crone pulled out a couple of "yo mamma" jokes. Have I been rude to anyone in this thread?
He's right. He's been a very polite small minded person. Wait, believing that certain populations don't deserve the same structured legal rights as other groups isn't small minded, it's a different position.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

If you've got beer, sausages or birch twigs, you're in.

And for the ladies and gay men:

Andromache

If you've got beer, sausages or birch twigs, you're in.

And for the ladies and gay men:

:wocatagon:

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Better to eat a toad than submit to same lame exclusionary idea of who I can and cannot love based on their gender.
Damn straight. We know you'd want a piece of this even if I were male.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Okay, guys and gay women next:

That's closest to SFW I could get...

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Why do the folks who like the ladies get a hotty while the folks who like the gents get a saggy dude with a shrub?

Espy

Espy

Cuz that's just how North Ranger rolls...

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

In the former forum/url I tryed to provide quality male nudity but was never apreciated u.u

Andromache

-Edit-
Crap, I didn't even wanna post in this thread. /phail
if it's any revelation, neither did I. I debated long and hard over replying in any form to Rob King, but then my anger got the better of my impulse control. I actually don't enjoy shit stirring like this, though it's very second nature.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Fine, fine!

I'll see if I can find you a better-looking guy.

Jeeze, you do your best but it's never enough. I oughta grumble grumble grumble...

Espy

Espy

if it's any revelation, neither did I.
Didn't you start the thread? Kind of hard to avoid posting in it then yeah?;)

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

In the former forum/url I tryed to provide quality male nudity but was never apreciated u.u
Eh, to be honest I like looking at naked ladies better. They're just prettier. And no I haven't had eight tequila shots.

figmentPez

figmentPez

He's right. He's been a very polite small minded person. Wait, believing that certain populations don't deserve the same structured legal rights as other groups isn't small minded, it's a different position.
You know, it's interesting. I've never actually been asked in this thread if I hold an opinion on legalizing gay marriage, let alone what that opinion is. You all have just assumed that I object to it simply because of my religious beliefs.

I'm actually undecided on the issue of legalizing gay marriage, but you all just gave in to your prejudices and assumed what you didn't know to be true. I'm finished with this thread.

Andromache

if it's any revelation, neither did I.
Didn't you start the thread? Kind of hard to avoid posting in it then yeah?;)[/QUOTE]

read the rest of the post you quoted... fucksake

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

You know, it's interesting. I've never actually been asked in this thread if I hold an opinion on gay marriage, let alone what that opinion is. You all have just assumed that I object to it simply because of my religious beliefs.

I'm actually undecided on the issue of legalizing gay marriage, but you all just gave in to your prejudices and assumed what you didn't know to be true. I'm finished with this thread.[/QUOTE]

And I'm finished with your mom. God she was gooood. Thank you

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I think even Shego might approve...

NSFW Two young guys and a middle-aged guy tackle out...

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I got some sausages, let's cook them up and see what happens next. "sits down, removes pants"

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

[COLOR=\"DarkRed\"]NSFW[/COLOR] Two young guys and a middle-aged guy tackle out...
I got some sausages, let's cook them up and see what happens next. \"sits down, removes pants\"
the order of this post is disturbing.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

That's the spirit, Rexx!

Andromache

[COLOR=\"DarkRed\"]NSFW[/COLOR] Two young guys and a middle-aged guy tackle out...
I got some sausages, let's cook them up and see what happens next. \"sits down, removes pants\"
the order of this post is disturbing.[/QUOTE]

For the mother fucking WIN

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

NAKED PEOPLE IN SAUNAS! Was About Traditional Marriage

Continueing derail:

are those porn stars?

http://koti.mbnet.fi/achiaro/ohjeita/saunassa.jpg

also: Sauna Gay Kiss -

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Umm... No, I don't think so.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Umm... No, I don't think so.[/QUOTE]

oh...

well, the guy looked familiar

>.>

<.<

>.<

Cuyval Dar

-Edit-
Crap, I didn't even wanna post in this thread. /phail
if it's any revelation, neither did I. I debated long and hard over replying in any form to Rob King, but then my anger got the better of my impulse control. I actually don't enjoy shit stirring like this, though it's very second nature.[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

You gotta be kiddin'.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

If you have something to say, say it, or PM the person. This passive-aggressive tagging shit is totally childish.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Am I glad I only got here when the flames had died down and the sauna was up and running! Phew!

Make way for the Belgian! Good beer, coming through!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Say, send the fine-looking lady with the beer pitcher my way.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Sure thing. I'm keeping her bikini, though. Hope you don't mind.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Sure thing. I'm keeping her bikini, though. Hope you don't mind.
Hey, you get the bikini, I get the girl. It's a win-win! :D

Andi

Drachenherz

Heed my warning! If this girl continues beer in large amounts, she eventually will look like this:

And if you ask politely, I can provide you the necessary battery acid to wash out your eyes... I guess it'll come handy after seeing this pic. :eek:

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

AAAAUUUGGGHHHH!!! AAAAUUUUUUGGGHHHH!!! MAH EYES! THEY BURN! OH THE HUMANITY!!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Is that real? If so, it's unfortunate. Yeeks.

Andi

Drachenherz

Looks real to me. But actually, I'm not sure... Though the image is clearly in front of my eyes, my eyes just refuse to see it. Must be some kind of self-preservation mechanics in my brain...

Math242

Math242

ooooooooooooooooooook, cancelling tomorrow's plan to go to restaurant too

i fucking hate you guys

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Counter-measures! Must... apply... counter-measures...

Feeling... better now.

Andi

Drachenherz

I'd tap that...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

bhamv3

bhamv3

Andi owes me a pair of eyes.

Andi

Drachenherz

Andi owes me a pair of eyes.
Wait, what? Aren't those protective gloves you're wearing?

SeraRelm

Gloves?

Andi

Drachenherz

Oops, silly me, of course I meant bracers... ur... pants... wuteva...

:moon:

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oops, silly me, of course I meant bracers... ur... pants... wuteva...

:moon:[/QUOTE]

Setting aside the fact that I do, in fact, wear bracers when I go swimming, your picture managed to burn right through my goggles.

It burned... through my goggles... while in a swimming pool.

Full of water.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Counter-measures! Must... apply... counter-measures...

Feeling... better now.
Now the healing may begin...

Wahad

Wahad

I'd tap that...
But when?

Shakey

Shakey

Even google ads are getting into it.

Rob King

Rob King

Andi, I thought mom said you two broke up.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Am I glad I only got here when the flames had died down and the sauna was up and running! Phew!

Make way for the Belgian! Good beer, coming through!
Wherever this is, I wish to move there immediately.

:D

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I second that notion!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, Andi, I'm afraid we're going to have to revoke your picture posting privileges.
I'd post some more, but looking for "sexy sauna" on google sort of led me into NSFW territory.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Dude, that's what sauna is all about.

'cept when it's a family sauna. But otherwise, I LURVE unisex saunas :unibrow:

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, yes, absoliutely, but I can't start posting semi-porn here, can I? :-P
Some mods might take offense.

Soooo....Steam baths!

I wouldn't classify this as NSFW, but some might...

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

What's with the towels?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Trying to keep it SFW for the 'mericuns, buddy.
Also, do my topless avatar pictures count? :-P

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

No, I was being serious. I've never worn a towel to the sauna.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Lucky Finn. They're there in Belgian sauna's, too, mostly, unless it's private. :(

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Even in male-only saunas? Like at spa hotels and public swimming halls?

Yikes.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yes. Well, towels, or bathing suits, or whatever. Towels are usually more for lying on, so that the bench doesn't get soaked with everybody's sweat.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Prudes :p

Admittedly, Finnish sauna tradition is more about sitting and talking than lying.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I need to come visit Finland. Some day, some day....

Cajungal

Cajungal

I've never even been in a sauna. :( I'd like to try one. Bet it's relaxing.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Eh. Yes. Though you aren't really supposed ot stay in there too long.
So, something like 15 minutes sauna, cold shower, 15 minutes steam bath, cold shower, 15 minutes solarium, cold shower, 15 minutes jacuzzi, cold shower, 15 minutes sauna, cold shower, than drop dead and drink some nice cocktails :-P

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I've never even been in a sauna. :( I'd like to try one. Bet it's relaxing.[/QUOTE]

It is, very much so.

It's especially nice if you have the chance to do the following: run from a hot sauna into snow and/or a hole cut in the ice for a quick dip. Just roll/swim around for a minute or so, then get back inside. You'll tingle all over, and the tension just melts away.

But just sitting in the sauna, and taking cold showers in-between is also nice =)

Cajungal

Cajungal

Man I need to do something like that. I hold all my tension in my back and shoulders, and this past year it's been getting worse. I've been thinking about hitting a sauna to relax or getting a massage.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Sauna, definitely then.

There's two schools of thought whether you should sauna wet or dry. Personally I prefer wet, since I love cooling off by pouring a ladleful of cool water on myself while in a sauna. It cools, it relaxes, and it helps you if you're a first-timer in a sauna.

Cajungal

Cajungal

How often do you do it?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I used to do it weekly. Unfortunately, for a while now I've had some... stuff in the sauna in my apartment, and haven't been able to. But I enjoy it when I can.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it daily, more like weekly or maybe 1-2 times a month, however you prefer.

Bubble181

Bubble181

the sauna in my apartment
:aaahhh:

Cajungal

Cajungal

I am so finding a sauna this semester. :D I'm gonna find the HELL out of a sauna... somewhere in this armpit of a city.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Find anyone of Finnish descent; we can track a proper sauna within a 200-mile radius.

fade

fade

CajunGal doesn't need a sauna. She lives in one.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I don't mind extreme heat and humidity when I get to choose it.

Bubble181

Bubble181

You don't mind getting hot and wet? I'm sure your man is pleased :-P

Rob King

Rob King

You don't mind getting hot and wet? I'm sure your man is pleased :-P[/QUOTE]

There. It is a place that he went.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, first I was going to say something about her always being in heat and wet, but I decided staying slightly classier. And now I failed that Will Check on the second round. Darn.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Don't know about you other coonasses, but the weather on the Northshore has been pretty nice! Warm, but cool breezes!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Coonawhat?

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Coonawhat?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonass

Ah shit. Apparently it's also an ethnic slur. I am sorry to those I may have offended as that was not my intention :eek:

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I never knew it was a slur. I've always thought it was just accepted slang.

SeraRelm

... It's definitely an ethnic slur.

rabbitgod

I approve this thread. There's so much going on.

I just can't keep it on my taskbar while at work. It reads 'NAKED PEOPLE IN S...'

Finland here I come.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Taking it back
Well, coon and coonass are different terms.

SeraRelm

Taking it back
Well, coon and coonass are different terms.[/QUOTE]

And? What does that have to do with anything?

Cajungal

Cajungal

You don't mind getting hot and wet? I'm sure your man is pleased :-P[/QUOTE]

There. It is a place that he went.[/QUOTE]

THAT'S RIGHT, YOU PEOPLE HEARD ME!

Also, that term doesn't bother me.

fade

fade

It may be a slur, but everyone here uses it to refer to each other. Unlike "coon" it doesn't really seem to offend the recipient.

Here being Lafayette Parish in LA.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah, no one cares. Most Cajuns approach it in a light-hearted way. We know we're a comical people.

SeraRelm

And lots of urban folks call each other nigga, it's still hilarious Vyt pulled a Randal.

fade

fade

And lots of urban folks call each other nigga, it's still hilarious Vyt pulled a Randal.
The difference is that it doesn't seem like anyone here gets offended when an outside person uses it.

SeraRelm

The difference is that it doesn't seem like anyone here gets offended when an outside person uses it.[/QUOTE].

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

What??? I'm takin' it back!

:facepalm:*I am so embarrassed*:waah: