Our chocolate still comes at a cost...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does my favorite treat, chocolate milk count in this? If so, I may have a problem.

Also, apparently it is impossible to find fair trade chocolate chips in this province. :(

GasBandit

Staff member
Daily what has the inside scoop on two more flavors for those nestle girl scout cookie bars:

Tagalong and Samoa.

So, I told my sister about my no chocolate initiative. She got really mad at me about it for some reason. I wasn't preaching to her. She just offered to but me a bar and politely declined then, when she asked why, I explained.

Then she started rolling her eyes and saying "But the tears add flavour!" I decided I wasn't going to argue with her aobut it because, well, we were in the mall. She wouldn't let it drop.

Then she told me I should go for broke and stop shopping at Old Navy then because they use child slaves as well. My heart stopped. Old Navy is some of the comfiest clothing ever! I despaired at the thought of giving them up but I prepared to do so.

Untiul I actually researched it. Gap/Old Navy has contracted to people in the past that use child labour but the last instance was in 2006 and they cut ties with that company. Actually, since 2000, they have cut ties with 25 companies that were using child labour.

I am actually relieved.

However, I am still puzzled by my sisters reaction.

And I'm sure when I become aware of the injustice involved in those products I'll take similar action as I did regarding the chocolate.

However, I am still puzzled by my sisters reaction.
Because she thinks you're judging her. It doesn't matter if you're not or say you're not, because people can get offended just by someone not doing what they're doing. Same reason people who drink get offended by those who don't, people who watch TV get offended by those who don't, people who are religious get offended by those who aren't, etc. and so on.

Because she thinks you're judging her. It doesn't matter if you're not or say you're not, because people can get offended just by someone not doing what they're doing. Same reason people who drink get offended by those who don't, people who watch TV get offended by those who don't, people who are religious get offended by those who aren't, etc. and so on.
I was afraid that was the reason. I even intentionally tried to word it in a way that didn't make it sound "holier than thou".

I mean, I go to art festivals. The folks you meet at those events are some of the most gronola people you will ever meet. For the 24 hour art festival they pay for your meals but I actually have to make arrangements to eat elsewhere because the meals always consist of salad and other 'good things'. If you aren't doing the things they are doing, like using 'cups' instead of tampons or some shit you will be judged to high hell.

I try not to do that.

There's a Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory in the mall just down the hill from where I live. They have these enormous peanut butter cups that are way bigger than all 3 Reese cups combined for like 2 bucks. If I ever get a hankering, I go there.

They have child slaves chained up in the backrooms making the chocolate Frankie. After they get fat and tender enough, they sell em off to your favorite steakhouse for fileting.

GasBandit

Staff member
No matter what you do, if you are living a comfy life, no matter how green or slave-free or whatever you buy and live, your money travels down the line into the hands of people who are paid less than you to make the things you use and perform the services you need. If they aren't buying slave chocolate, driving polluting cars or buying slave-made clothes, then you simply haven't followed the chain down far enough - the next person down most certainly is. And there's waaaaay more of them then there are of you.

And the tears DO make it taste better, anyway.

No matter what you do, if you are living a comfy life, no matter how green or slave-free or whatever you buy and live, your money travels down the line into the hands of people who are paid less than you to make the things you use and perform the services you need. If they aren't buying slave chocolate, driving polluting cars or buying slave-made clothes, then you simply haven't followed the chain down far enough - the next person down most certainly is. And there's waaaaay more of them then there are of you.

Do I have to keep repeating myself? What the hell is wrong with just making a small change to attempt to make life less shitty for someone else? If enough people make small changes, they out number those that don't, and shit gets better.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=starfish+story

GasBandit

Staff member
Do I have to keep repeating myself? What the hell is wrong with just making a small change to attempt to make life less shitty for someone else? If enough people make small changes, they out number those that don't, and shit gets better.
Kinda like if enough people decide to vote for a 3rd party, maybe the 2 party monopoly will be broken?

When in actuality, he was just throwing the starfish back to the manta rays to be eaten.

Necronic

Staff member
Gas you DO vote libertarian, or at least have in the past. That's way more a pipe dream than consumer advocacy.

Necronic

Staff member
Actually the Windmill Show is pretty bad, as is all Dutch Television.

But I do like watching those two go at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.