Official Goblins (comic) Thread

Will Chief ultimately survive this encounter?

• Yes, Chief will survive

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No, Chief will not survive

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • I can close this poll now?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • When did we get that?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

figmentPez

Staff member
I seem to recall that tugging on a dwarf's beard is a big faux pas. I wonder if Kore is taking personal offense at this, or if he just expects such behavior from "evil" creatures.

And I hope that Thunt isn't planning what I think he's planning. Just how much is the group going to loose in this fight?

I don't actually know a lot about D&D. I know paladins are only supposed to fight fair, but can attacking from behind cause Ears to loose his paladin status?

According to what I've read on their forums, paladins are forbidden from attacking by surprise, but there's nothing specifically preventing a paladin from attacking an enemy's back. Otherwise opponents would just turn their backs to the paladin every time they encounter one.

This doesn't apply here though, since Kore knows full well that Big Ears is there, and it wouldn't be a surprise attack. Plus, Big Ears knows the Axe is ineffective against Kore, so it might not count as an attack at all.

Of course, we still have to take into account the fact that the Goblins world isn't typical D&D. Kore, for example, is capable of committing bunches of atrocities while still staying a paladin - the unannounced crossbow bolt into Chief's back being the least of them.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the prohibition on Sneak Attacks only kicks in if your doing it from surprise. If the opponent turned his back on you, but has already seen you and you didn't hide, then your only taking advantage of an opportunity that he willfully presented to you. If it was "Can't strike an opponents back, ever" then Paladins in large scale conflicts would lost their powers left and right.

figmentPez

Staff member
Kore doesn't have a heart, he's going to keep fighting.

(okay, I don't know that, but I don't think this is over.)

Wow... that was creative. Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing your DM makes up shit for, because you can't have your big bad just die like that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the prohibition on Sneak Attacks only kicks in if your doing it from surprise. If the opponent turned his back on you, but has already seen you and you didn't hide, then your only taking advantage of an opportunity that he willfully presented to you. If it was "Can't strike an opponents back, ever" then Paladins in large scale conflicts would lost their powers left and right.
Really the Paladin code is the most controversial 68 words in the entire roleplaying world. You'll have people who say that a paladin who while on a quest to cure a magical disease, stops to save a village from a rampagin ogre should fall because of all the people who died from the disease. On the other hand you have people who say that Kore's actions are the yardstick against which other paladins should be measured.
I think the entire debate is rather silly. It's a game for goodness sake. DMs should use the fall option only in egregess cases and players should be at least aware of how fallhappy their DM is before they roll up a paladin character.

I wonder though, what this means for the Axe of preswhatever. Let's say, for instance, that this killed Kore or at least fucked him up a bit. Would the fact that the axe was used to kill a paladin in this way really mess with the magic mojo keeping the demon inside it at bay?

But of course when you consider that Kore is most likely Cursed and himself is evil does that balance it out?

But honestly they wouldn't have been able to kill him without the axe.

Besides, I'm not sure if a technicality really works with this. He still did an evil act with the axe, assuming the black and white idea that a paladin must be good even if they are cursed or breaking the rules or whatever.

But honestly they wouldn't have been able to kill him without the axe.

Besides, I'm not sure if a technicality really works with this. He still did an evil act with the axe, assuming the black and white idea that a paladin must be good even if they are cursed or breaking the rules or whatever.
But it had been used for evil acts before and hadn't released the demon. The prison doesn't seem to require a lack of evil acts so much as an abundance of good. Even then it is pretty easy going about it. I mean we don't know how long Caine had it but I think it was months at the shortest and he probably commited dozens of evil acts with the axe. One grey act at worst probably won't do it.

I think the wall of text backstory says something about a moon cycle or something. He couldn't have had it too long.

I'm not really sure though.

Untrue. He had no idea what the other guy was going to do, only that he had asked him to throw the axe. Besides, didn't paladins get a revamp recently where it didn't matter if they were good or not, as long as they were in line with their patron's ideals? I think it was done so you could finally be an evil paladin without having to take Blackguard.

Dave

Staff member
Goblins is 3.5 and will not be 4e. But I agree that evil Gods would have Paladins also. In fact, the game I wrote had Paladins as Agents of Balance. If an area had too much good they would swoop in and fuck shit up. If an area was overrun with bad guys, they would come in and put things right. There were also Neutral Paladins who patrolled. So if someone knew a Paladin was in the area they'd be really freaked out.

Honestly, it makes more sense to just make the Paladin class a generic "Holy Warrior fighting for the cause of a deity, with Steel and Soul" than the always good, always lawful, always rigid class. Then you can save things like Blackguard and Greyguard for the fallen ones instead of just every evil/neutral one.

I'd also like to point out NO ONE uses 4E for their comics. It's always 3.5 or sooner.

figmentPez

Staff member
Watching Thunt's livestream of drawing. Apparently Nike is now sponsoring Goblins, and Kore's face is the swoosh logo.

Oh god, Forgoth's about to die...

What I think's going to happen is that Kore is going to attack Kin. Minmax and Forgoth defend kin, Forgoth dies in the process.

North_Ranger

Staff member
New comic is up.

My money's on the reappearance of the Brassmoon City escapees, now as an adventuring party. I think that was their mage casting Teleport ;)

It's only been a day or two though. It can't be those guys because there's no way they're high enough level now. It would seem like minmax and forgath and kin but again, it's only been a day so how could they have gone through their own dungeon crawl for the thing that teleports them?

Of course that kind of is a problem with the comic. It's been going on for a few years now but it hasn't been really much more than a week, comic time.

There's speculation on their forums that it's actually a proximity trap at the entrance to the dungeon crawl, where you have to face your greatest nemesis. Complains is in the lead, so he's the one who triggered the trap, and now he has to take on a dungeon crawl-generated Minmax.

Because of the time issues you've already mentioned. If Minmax, Forgoth and Kin managed to complete their dungeon crawl in the time the goblins traveled to the river, then either they really pubstomped the dungeon crawl, or more time has passed than we know. Therefore, it might not be Minmax and company appearing at all.

However, so far Minmax is the only person who calls Complains "Names," so the comic seems to be suggesting that Minmax is the one appearing. Coupled with the fact that dungeon crawls tend to be littered with creative traps, a proximity trap seems to fit.

Well now we can rule out them being the ones greeting the Goblins.
After going through the archives, I'm wondering if the people they're meeting up with aren't the re-rolled party of humans... you know, the guys who were drow until they got wiped? That's the only group with a spell caster Names would know that could possibly know him.

North_Ranger

Staff member
After going through the archives, I'm wondering if the people they're meeting up with aren't the re-rolled party of humans... you know, the guys who were drow until they got wiped? That's the only group with a spell caster Names would know that could possibly know him.
I don't think any one of the re-rolled three was a spellcaster... there was the halfling archer, the big-boobed woman with leather armor and the ninja in samurai armor.

I don't think any one of the re-rolled three was a spellcaster... there was the halfling archer, the big-boobed woman with leather armor and the ninja in samurai armor.
She's not wearing leather armor, she's wearing an Adventurer's Outfit. That's normal clothes, not armor. Besides, it's clear the other two rerolled as their old classes as well.