Official Goblins (comic) Thread

Will Chief ultimately survive this encounter?

• Yes, Chief will survive

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No, Chief will not survive

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • I can close this poll now?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • When did we get that?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I must admit I never read Goblins despite the various threads dedicated to the strip over the years. But this arc has got me hooked. I dare say this has gone from being a strip I ignored to a must read.

I

Iaculus

Then again, folks, this is Goblins. We all know what the outcome will be here.

*Kore raises his axe at just the right angle*

*SPLUTCH*

The axe passed through him. Oh my. I guess any doubt of Kore being an actual paladin has flown out the window.

Ok, I don't know how they're getting out of this with everyone alive.

If Kore can totally demolish Ears' armor like that I don't want to think what a direct hit, or even a crit from those axes would do to someone like Thaco or Vorpal.

maybe if they can bull rush him off the cliff?

I think this storyline is going to be the end of Thaco. I just have a bad feeling about this.

It'd be cool of Fumbles could take out Kore with an amazing dodging maneuver though. After declaring it, of course.

figmentPez

Staff member
It'd be cool of Fumbles could take out Kore with an amazing dodging maneuver though. After declaring it, of course.
Nah, I'm thinking this is where Complains being part-demon comes into play. That pain in his arm isn't just the badly healed break. It's some sort of transformation.

L

Lunari

Here comes the previously unexplained Deus Ex Machina again to the rescue...
Deus Ex Machina implies a contrived or unnatural occurrence. If it is something with the demon side, it is within the story that already exists with backstory. The shield's power was described before as well. I would agree with it being a Deus if someone suddenly turned out to be a demon and didn't know it or if a previously non magic item suddenly had a godly ability.

figmentPez

Staff member
Deus Ex Machina implies a contrived or unnatural occurrence. If it is something with the demon side, it is within the story that already exists with backstory. The shield's power was described before as well. I would agree with it being a Deus if someone suddenly turned out to be a demon and didn't know it or if a previously non magic item suddenly had a godly ability.
More than that, if the demon part comes into play there will be repercussions. A Deus Ex Machina usually resolves things without consequences, things are fixed and we don't speak of them again.

However, I think Piotyr may be talking about Kevich Gritland, the character profile that's up right now, and a previous owner of the Axe of Prissan. The line "Kevin remembered wondering if the poisons made from the unexplored waters of the swampgate would kill a paladin. A smile formed on his dry, cracked lips as he considered the answer. Absolutely." in particular seems well suited to killing Kore out of nowhere. Oh wow, Big Ear's axe passed right through Kore, but it delivered poison that helped win the fight anyway. (Although that would question why Big Ears wasn't poisoned as well.)

I rather enjoy Goblins for the most part, but I think its weakest aspect is the author's inability to weave important plot hints into the natural flow. He's done this before with the Saral Caine battle, where he basically took a break from the action for a four paragraph exposition about things nobody else could possibly have known before. Sure, it's not exactly a Deus Ex Machina, but it's a very important plot point that none of the characters could possibly know about, to the point where the team is now accidentally fumbling their way to success in situations. Like Thaco knocking Goblinslayer into the pipe by chance with a critical hit. Maybe that kind of luck can happen once, but it's the constant savior of a Goblin party that is inadvertently getting better by the use of outside happenings that seemingly had no bearing on the plot until that particular moment in the story, at which point the author actually has to break away from the comic and explain everything at once.

Then again, maybe the shoddy writing is intentional and the reason things don't make sense is because the GM is writing around his party's apparent lucky streak?

The Kevich Gritland page throws into doubt the previous story of the history of the Axe of Prissan. I believe Kore's come into contact with the Axe before (or might even have been a previous owner, I can't remember), so he might know the Axe isn't a paladin-only item, and that the history automatically conveyed to each user isn't accurate. It's also possible he's discovered the true nature of the Axe, and it's related to his quest to eliminate all evil.

On a somewhat related note, can anyone figure out what Ears's plan is? He's tied a rope to the Axe and then hurled it into a tree, challenging Kore to go get it, while holding on to the rope.

figmentPez

Staff member
The Kevich Gritland page throws into doubt the previous story of the history of the Axe of Prissan. I believe Kore's come into contact with the Axe before (or might even have been a previous owner, I can't remember), so he might know the Axe isn't a paladin-only item, and that the history automatically conveyed to each user isn't accurate. It's also possible he's discovered the true nature of the Axe, and it's related to his quest to eliminate all evil.
Hmm, I thought that Kevich doubted the history of the axe because he was evil, a little crazy, and hated paladins so much he couldn't believe anything they said. We've known since the start that the axe can be used by non-paladins, since Saral Caine had it before Big Ears killed him. Saral killed the paladin that had the axe before him, and had no idea of the history of the weapon.

Dave

Staff member
I think Chief is dead. He was at -9 at the same time as THAC0. THAC0 got a cure light, but Chief...?

But they can have him resurrected, can't they? I'm more worried about the fact that the party is now without a dedicated healer.

But they can have him resurrected, can't they? I'm more worried about the fact that the party is now without a dedicated healer.
Two problems with that:

1.) They can't just take him to the nearest town and have a priest do it. Which means...

2.) They'd need to find another Goblin with class levels to do it, which is clearly rare. They'd also need to find the reagents for it. Last time I checked, you needed a diamond or something to resurrect someone in D&D.

Two problems with that:

1.) They can't just take him to the nearest town and have a priest do it. Which means...

2.) They'd need to find another Goblin with class levels to do it, which is clearly rare. They'd also need to find the reagents for it. Last time I checked, you needed a diamond or something to resurrect someone in D&D.[/QUOTE]
True of course, though I'd like to specify that they require the co-operation of a creature capable of casting 7th level clerical spells (such as a 13th lvl cleric). Plus the material components, of course.

Not easy to be sure, but perhaps do-able. Whether they consider the diversion of effort from their main task (becoming defenders of their tribe) worth it is another matter - at the end of the day, Chief is just another goblin killed by adventurers.

Isn't it like 500 gp worth of diamonds as the component? Getting that just by itself could be a huge undertaking.

Maybe they'll find some other way. I wouldn't be surprised if Thaco knows of some legendary artifact that can do that.

I'm thinking fumbles might take cleric levels after this in honor of chief.

Due to family coming over for Christmas, Christmas shopping, Christmas drinking, Christmas stressing and especially Christmas laughing, the updates on Dec 21st, Dec 24th and Dec 28th will be character background pages telling about the previous owners of the Axe of Prissan. From the 31st on, updates will return to the usual comic pages.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Everyone!
While I can't really blame him for taking time off during the holiday season, I'm disappointed that there won't be any story progression updates until the new year.

Hopefully he'll wrap up this a little more before jumping ship to either Dies Horribly or Minmax and crew.

figmentPez

Staff member
Nah, I'm thinking this is where Complains being part-demon comes into play. That pain in his arm isn't just the badly healed break. It's some sort of transformation.
Yeah, I saw this coming but I think it was made even more obvious with Cal and the talk of his IME having frost properties.

figmentPez

Staff member
Should I have noticed this before? Kore's IME looks like wings. Wings made of severed heads dangling on chains. *shudder*

I'm wondering if Kore's just a paladin of some deranged, evil god, or if the appearance of his "holy" powers is diferent because we're seeing it from the perspective of the kind of things he kills.

The Fortune Teller mentioned that Kore is cursed, which probably relates to why he's such a... different... paladin. Also, there's speculation that he's stuck inside his armor, partly based on the chains on his chest, and partly because his armor doesn't appear to have seams where there logically should be (such as his gauntlets).