[NHL] Off Season- draft, trades, rumours, withdrawl support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate you all so much!

Canada's Team = Toronto Maple Leafs
Team Canada = a collection of the best hockey players from Canada representing Canada internationally

But Carolina is quickly approaching a Team Canada broadcasters nightmare

"Staal goes into the corner, he got the puck away from Suter, clears it out of the zone with a nice pass to Staall. Three on two now with Staal up the middle, what a nifty back pass to Staal on the left wing, Thomas slides, Staal puts it back over to Staal on the right. Staal with the screen in front! Staal shoots he scores! Staal with his second of the game, assisted on the play by Staal and Staal! With the play all starting with an excellent effort by Staal on the back end."

Ottawa traded Foligno to Columbus in exchange for Methot. I think that's a smart trade, particularly for Columbus.
Ottawa lost Kuba to a ridiculous contract... so Methot will be a decent stay at home d-man replacement to play with their offensive d-man superstar.

I hate you all so much!

Team Canada = a collection of the best hockey players from Canada representing Canada internationally

"Staal goes into the corner, he got the puck away from Suter, clears it out of the zone with a nice pass to Staall. Three on two now with Staal up the middle, what a nifty back pass to Staal on the left wing, Thomas slides, Staal puts it back over to Staal on the right. Staal with the screen in front! Staal shoots he scores! Staal with his second of the game, assisted on the play by Staal and Staal! With the play all starting with an excellent effort by Staal on the back end."
U mad bro :troll:.
Announcers will probably be on a first name basis with the staals as they are with the Sedins.

I hate you all so much!

Well, Jared I don't think is even on a two way. I am pretty sure he's strictly AHL. And MArc Staal is still with New York unless there's been a huge trade I didn't hear about.

So it's not that bad, really.

Man, I'm a Leafs fan, and I love the city, but even I think it's brazen and stupid for the Leafs to refer to themselves as "Canada's team". That's the kinda stuff that makes people think Torontonians are egocentric. They just flat out AREN'T Canada's team anymore, haven't been for some time.[DOUBLEPOST=1341598824][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ottawa lost Kuba to a ridiculous contract... so Methot will be a decent stay at home d-man replacement to play with their offensive d-man superstar.
It was a necessary trade for them, for sure. Not sure if they got the better end of the deal though. But Columbus could definitely make use of a player like Foligno.

Assuming Methot stays reasonably healthy, I like the trade. Every year Foligno looks like he's going to get it together and figure out how to stick in the top 6, and every year he takes 20 stupid goalie interference penalties and refuses to ever shoot the puck instead. I like the guy, he's got a solid work ethic, always gives his all, and seems like a solid team player, but I just can't see him ever sticking as a top 6 forward, and Ottawa needs room for their prospects to move up, plus there are spots in the D to fill.

Luongo sounds like he's halfway out the door already:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400063
"I had a great six years in Vancouver. I think it's a wonderful city, I really enjoyed my time there. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to bring a Stanley Cup there, which was probably my biggest regret. But it will be remembered for six great years."
Florida is still sounding most likely
Playing in a place like Florida with anonymity - to go out somewhere and have a dinner with your family and relax and stuff is great.
More here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ancouver-talks-blackhawks-190948089--nhl.html

Some gems
No, seriously, would he play for Blackhawks?
"That's a good question. I think there's a lot of cities that are great to play in, and Chicago's definitely one of them. But you have to realize that it works both ways. There's not only me involved in this decisions. It's also a question if the Blackhawks would be interested, if the team would be interested in trading me there and it I wanted to go there."
Could he deal with 'Chelsea Dagger' in Chicago?
"I like that song. It's catchy. I heard it seven times in one game."
Does he pee in the shower?
"That is a great question. I've had that issue with a lot of the boys in the locker room this year. I'm not a big fan of peeing in the shower, because it splashes around. And why would I pee in my own shower?"

I hadn't even considered going nuclear.

It makes sense I guess, from the league's standpoint.

Man, that could be REAL confusing though. 29 teams? Realignment is confusing enough already.

Luckily the chances of it happening are microscopicly small.

Yeah, I don't want a relocation, but thatd be better than folding. Though it sounds like it'd be folding the coyotes and then expanding to quebec city in one offseason. On the other hand I have no idea how that would work. Would they have a dispersal draft of the coyotes players and then an expansion draft right after?

Wouldn't it stay the same? You have the 30ish coyotes players going to other teams, and then have 30ish players from all those other teams going to quebec. Quebec would suck, but it wouldnt dilute the league.

It'd make the bottom few teams a lot better since they'd get to poach the best players from Phoenix, mid-range teams would get comparatively a little bit worse since they wouldn't gain anything of note, and top-end teams would be unaffected. Then the new expansion team would be terrible on the level of Ottawa's first few seasons.

Who's the "chattering class"? The TML message boards? Some guy who came up with idea on his blog? His buddy Mick "who knows someone who works as a part-time janitor at the ACC and overheard someone in a suit saying something"?

And you're not getting it: it would mean no more Phoenix Coyotes - and that's it. No 30th team suddenly materializing out of nowhere. NHL plays the 2013-14 season and beyond with 29 teams.

And you're not getting it: it would mean no more Phoenix Coyotes - and that's it. No 30th team suddenly materializing out of nowhere. NHL plays the 2013-14 season and beyond with 29 teams.
The whole point of the article is that it is not just cheaper but actually MAKES the NHL money to fold a franchise and then allow a one team expansion franchise the following season. So no, that's not what it's saying at all. It's saying that with this plan, they would play 2013-2014 with 29 teams, then have an expansion draft for 2014-2015 and be back up to 30 teams.

But the whole thing is at best a thought experiment, because NOBODY is actually talking about doing this despite what it and the Shoaltz article it's referring to say. The Shoalts article very cleverly embeds the idea that this is talk is going down at the CBA negotiations, but if you read it carefully, it doesn't actually make that connection whatsoever.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, who was involved in labour negotiations Thursday along with commissioner Gary Bettman, did not respond to a request for comment. However, Frisoni said the city is continuing to work on the sale to Jamison and will deal with any other problems “when and if that happens.........
followed by
In some NHL circles, a more drastic solution is envisioned. The Coyotes could simply be folded, its 23 players sent to other NHL teams through a dispersal draft and the league would operate with 29 teams next season.
This would allow the NHL to collect expansion fees of $200-million or more each from Seattle and Quebec City, the top candidates for NHL teams, rather than a single relocation fee of $60-million or so for the Coyotes. That is a gain of at least $200-million if a total loss of $200-million is assumed on the NHL's investment in the Coyotes.
It doesn't actually connect those two thoughts, it counts on the reader to make that connection. And Puck Daddy fell for it.
Could it happen again with the Coyotes? Perhaps. As David Shoalts wrote in his Phoenix piece for the Globe & Mail on Friday, it's something that's been discussed among the chattering class in Toronto for the better part of the last month:
Basically David Shoalts likes to drum up speculation about the Coyotes whenever and however he can.

I just thought it was interesting because it seriously never occurred to me that the league could make more money by folding a franchise than relocating it.

Neil back in Ottawa for 3 more years.

Holzer signs for 1 yr with Leafs on a one way?

Pierre Gauthier now working for Chicago?!?!

Also, fuck you Nash.

Parts of the rosters for the Winter Classic alumni game have been confirmed:

Red Wings
  • Chris Chelios
  • Dino Ciccarelli
  • Alex Delvecchio
  • Kris Draper
  • Gordie Howe
  • Mark Howe
  • Joe Kocur
  • Ted Lindsay
  • Kirk Maltby
  • Darren McCarty
  • Larry Murphy
  • John Ogrodnick
  • Chris Osgood
  • Mickey Redmond
  • Luc Robitaille
  • Mike Vernon
Maple Leafs
  • Dave Andreychuk
  • Johnny Bower
  • Wendel Clark
  • Ron Ellis
  • Doug Gilmour
  • Curtis Joseph*
  • Kevin McGuire
  • Jim McKenny
  • Mike Palmateer
  • Felix Potvin
  • Darryl Sittler
  • Darcy Tucker
  • Rick Vaive

- Fan 590 also stated that Mats Sundin will be playing for Toronto as well.

*WOOOO! CuJo! (hometown local)

Pierre Gauthier now working for Chicago?!?!
As director of player personnel... a job he was meant to do.

Horrible.

Also Nash could suck it... "i'm only playing with whoever I wanna play". Fuck off, you waive your NTC or you don't. You don't ask to be traded and then start giving out limited as fuck destinations.

If you didn't want to play for your team, you shouldn't have signed long term like that.

Fucking douche.

There is, of course, only one place that Rick Nash should logically play in the NHL.

We'll even name the town for him. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.