Export thread

Off Season- draft, trades, rumours, withdrawl support

Limit: 500

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I thought the LA Kings championship hat at the WTC memorial was too fitting an image to end the 2011-2012 season thread on, but wanted to discuss this:
http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/rob...hockey-team-for-feature-broad-street-bullies/
EXCLUSIVE: Rob Zombie will write, direct and produce Broad Street Bullies, a film about the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team that evolved from a cellar-dwelling expansion team into a team that racked up victories and penalty minutes in equal measure during the 1970s.
Glad hockey movies are getting made again, but between this year's Goon, the upcoming "Broad Street Bullies", and Kevin Smith's "Hit Somebody", I feel like... somebody should be focusing on the skilled players, not just the violence of the sport. It's such a great game and it already has such a poor representation.
Why not a film about the Miracle on Ice, or the Montreal Canadians vs Soviets game? Or the 1972 Summit Series, or a biopic on Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe, Eddie Shore, or Bobby Orr?
There's so much more material available.

Plus.... Philly.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The Miracle on Ice is a bit played out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_(film)

Timmus

Timmus

There already is a Rocket Richard biopic.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Considering this will probably involve the 1975 cup finals, I shall pass.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

There already is a Rocket Richard biopic.
I saw that on TV once, I had assumed it was a made for TV movie, so I hadn't taken it into consideration.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

There already is a Bullies movie, from HBO in 2010. Good watch. One of the basic undeniable facts to the movie is that they never would have won the cup if they were not good players at the core.

Timmus

Timmus

I saw that on TV once, I had assumed it was a made for TV movie, so I hadn't taken it into consideration.
It had a theatrical run. I think it was made on art grants from Quebec though.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It had a theatrical run. I think it was made on art grants from Quebec though.
Yeah, I looked into it a bit.
Fairly decent reviews too. 7.6 at imdb. Not bad.... I might have to check that one out.

Also, draft.

I completely forgot about it, so I missed it all.
Looks like Leafs and Canucks are definitely trying to cook up a deal, I wonder what Vancouver wants for Luongo. What have the Leafs got that Vancouver could use to build on?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Leafs just traded Schenn for Van Riemsdyk

Timmus

Timmus

Yeah, I looked into it a bit.
Fairly decent reviews too. 7.6 at imdb. Not bad.... I might have to check that one out.

Also, draft.

I completely forgot about it, so I missed it all.
Looks like Leafs and Canucks are definitely trying to cook up a deal, I wonder what Vancouver wants for Luongo. What have the Leafs got that Vancouver could use to build on?
Yeah I would recommend it. Sean Avery's in it and I'm pretty sure he gets a rich pummeling at some point. I heard Burke offered Schenn but Gillis was like naw way.

edit: spidermanned

Covar

Covar

Hurricanes trade Brandon Sutter and a defenseman prospect to Pittsburgh in exchange for Jordan Staal.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Leafs just traded Schenn for Van Riemsdyk
I wanted to see Riemsdyk's stats so I went to Wikipedia.
Wikipedia pages are already updated to reflect the trade. :confused:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

TML was in on the Staal trade but realized it would only ever be for a season before Jordan went to join Eric so the price was foolish to pay. They were heavy into Luongo, but Vancouver is asking way too much. Sticking with Reimer/Scrivens now.

Joy.

Vrii

Vrii

According to all the Leaf fans I've seen talking about it, "too much" means "anything more than a terrible salary that Toronto wants to get rid of." Luongo's a top-10 goalie with a slightly overpriced contract - he's not getting traded for nothing.

Timmus

Timmus

According to all the Leaf fans I've seen talking about it, "too much" means "anything more than a terrible salary that Toronto wants to get rid of." Luongo's a top-10 goalie with a slightly overpriced contract - he's not getting traded for nothing.
Thank you.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Until Schneider signs an extension, the price for Luongo has been too high for every team. They need Lou as a bargaining chip against Schneider.

I myself don't see any way Toronto will swing Luongo.

I'm happy with Scrivens for now, and would like to see if they could get a bag of pucks for Komisarek.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Would like to see if they could get a bag of pucks for Komisarek.
I took a look at Komisarek's stats just the other day, unbelievable.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Maybe I don't watch the two enough of them but I think the Flyers got fleeced. Schenn had a good rookie year, but I was under the impression that he's dropped off a lot.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Wilson made him play offensive defencemen like Karlson and berated him for failing at it continually. Schenn is a stay at home kill you if you cross the blueline defencemen, nice fit for the Flyers.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Cross your fingers, gentlemen. Negotiations begin this week.
CHICAGO -- The head of the NHL players' union says negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement will begin "very quickly" -- perhaps as early as this week.
New NHL Players Association executive director Donald Fehr was in Chicago for meetings. He says negotiations will begin after Wednesday's meeting of the NHLPA's executive board.
Fehr was asked if a work stoppage was inevitable. He said nothing like that was coming from the union.
The NHL cancelled the 2004-05 season before a labour deal was reached that included a salary cap for the first time. That agreement expires on Sept. 15.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399221

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Time to bury my head in the sand and hope A) the Predators retain Suter/Weber somehow against all odds and B) there's a season next year

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Hmm, Adam Oates is the new coach in Washington.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Sakic, Sundin, Oates and Bure get the nod for the HoF this year.

Jay

Jay

Sakic is the man.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Word is Phoenix may want to move Shane Doan when he becomes UFA, but Doan would rather stay. Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Some seem to be saying Winnipeg, but I don't know if any teams have been courting him just yet.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

It's rare to see honest emotions on news broadcasters, but every single one I have seen when they show this clip cannot hide their disgust. Because it's disgusting.

Apparently charges are expected to be laid and I hope this freak never gets to participate in the sport in any fashion ever again.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

In a move that shocks no one, Pittsburgh has officially locked Crosby back up.

However, what is kind of shocking is the length of the deal. 12 years.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399432
The Pittsburgh Penguins announced Thursday that captain Sidney Crosby will sign a 12-year, $104.4 million contract extension on Sunday that begins after next season.
Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the new deal cannot be signed until July 1.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Wow thats a big deal. They better hope he can stay healthy, or they'll be regretting that for a long time.

Jay

Jay

That's nuts.

That guy has a serious health issue that one hit can take him out for the rest of his career.

They WILL be on the books for the remainder of the contract.

Vrii

Vrii

First, I think that "one hit can take him out for the rest of his career" applies to every NHL player, concussion history or not. It's more likely to be worse if they've had them before, but every player's at risk, and that's why the contracts are insured. It's obviously a risk to give him that long of a contract, but I'm pretty sure that - because of his age - if he does retire his cap hit comes off. He still gets paid, but it doesn't take cap space.

Also, pretty big discount for the best player in the world, I think.

Jay

Jay

I don't think you fully understand how concussions work and what happens to a human being after they have been concussed to this degree. Kindly remember that he wasn't able to play hockey for a year's time. For a player to be out SO long, which included the entire off season is worrisome to say the least.

When he came back, his body was ready and he dominated.... until Kreichi took him out. It didn't look like a big hit neither.

There are different level of concussions, some take only a few days to get over, some weeks.... when you're not playing for a year and get concussed weeks after you get back... something is up.

Cap wise.... the contact is excellent... but damn I hope he doesn't have to retire in the next year or two.... concussions come easier after the first big one... and that's a fact.

Vrii

Vrii

I think I actually acknowledged that in my post! It doesn't change the fact that any player could be permanently injured/disabled/killed by a bad hit in any game, past history or no.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Canucks have gotten Schneider to agree to a deal
https://twitter.com/GMMikeGillis/status/218517560482734080
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/218520548349718528
3 years, $12mil

Now that they have Schneider all but locked up, thinking the asking price for Luongo will go down a bit?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

12 yrs for Crosby, 10 years for Quick, that is at least two collective agreements to play through.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Here's everything that happened yesterday:
  • Boston Bruins re-sign goaltender Tuukka Rask to a 1 year, $3.5M contract.
  • Calgary Flames forward Olli Jokinen is heading to free agency and will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1st.
  • Carolina Hurricanes back up goaltender Brian Boucher has suffered a shoulder injury and is expected to miss 4-6 months.
  • Columbus Blue Jackets have re-signed defenseman Nikita Nikitin to a 2yr/$4.3M ($2.15M cap hit) contract extension.
  • Los Angeles Kings agree to terms with Conn Smythe Jonathan Quick on a 10-year contract extension earning him an average of $5.8M/year.
  • Minnesota Wild forward Guillaume Latendresse is also set to test free agency.
  • Nashville Predators resign D Hal Gill to a 2yr/$4 mil contract.
  • New Jersey Devils player Patrik Elias has found the puck from Game 6 in his equipment back and will return it to the Kings.
  • Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Luke Schenn will wear #22.
  • Pittsburgh Penguins sign captain Sidney Crosby to a 12 year, $104.4M contract extension.
  • St. Louis Blues re-sign Scott Nichol to a one year contact.
  • Tampa Bay Lightning re-sign defenseman Brian Lee to a 2 year contract.
  • Vancouver Canucks sign Corey Schneider to a 3 year/$12M contract.

EDIT: Also the AHL is going to try out a revised no-touch icing rule at the request of the NHL
    SPRINGFIELD -- The American Hockey League will test a version of no-touch icing to start the 2012 regular season.
    In the event of a potential icing violation, the play will be blown dead if a defending player is the first to reach the end zone face-off dots, provided the puck has crossed the goal-line at that point.
    The test of the rule is at the request of the NHL and will be in effect until Nov. 19, 2012, at which time its continued use will be determined by the AHL's board of governors, the league announced Thursday.
    The AHL also adopted two recent rule changes made in the NHL.
    A player who "places his hand over the puck while it is on the ice in order to conceal it from or prevent an opponent from playing the puck" will be assessed a minor penalty.
    Meanwhile, players who use their hands to bat the puck in an attempt to win a faceoff will also be assessed a two-minute infraction.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399480

blotsfan

blotsfan

Ugh. I hate no touch icing. If a team goes through the effort to make it there first, they deserve the puck.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Not Leafs pumping, just rather interesting, at the Leafs prospect camp this year is the worlds only Spanish goal-tender.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm extremely pleasantly surprised that Gill was resigned. I was assuming he was a goner.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm really curious where Brodeur will end up. Obviously the Leafs are going to take a look at him, Burke has to. But if Burke even actually makes him an offer (which is in itself doubtful), there's no way Brodeur would come to Toronto. He wants another run at the cup, and while I'm optimistic enough to say Toronto might make the playoffs, I'd have to be delusional to say that they're a strong contender for the championship.
Florida looks pretty good, but word is they're already hanging up "Welcome Back Luongo" banners in the locker room.

If he'd be willing to take a number two role, in my mind the best place for him would be backing up for Schneider in Vancouver if Luongo leaves.

But when you throw Bernier's availability into the mix, even the prospect of a back up position gets all the more muddied.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I know Raask is signed, but Brodeur could easily end up in Boston.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Marty Brodeur? Because if thats the one you're talking about, I can't imagine him playing anywhere but new jersey.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Marty Brodeur? Because if thats the one you're talking about, I can't imagine him playing anywhere but new jersey.
It is very difficult to imagine, which is why this was my reaction:

There is still a chance he won't be leaving too. I think fans of every team are kind of hoping he just stays where he is.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

That's the one, UFA on July 1. No significant movement from NJ yet, so he has hired representation.

blotsfan

blotsfan

It is very difficult to imagine, which is why this was my reaction:
My fault. I just saw "of-new-jersey-devils-to-test-market-sunday" and assumed it was an article about Parise.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I get the feeling if Parise goes, so will Brodeur.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

relevant (NHL players with 10yr+ contracts)
Les joueurs de NHL avec des contrats de plus de 10 ans.png

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oilers land Schultz.
https://twitter.com/NHL_Oilers/status/219154813315858432

Kinda figured, especially after word got out Gretzky called him up to tell him to go to Edmonton.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I like that we re-signed both of our pickups at the deadline, Gill and the Goose.

Now if prima-Sutta would only decide to either get off the tractor or start plowing.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Gustavsson picked up by Detroit, could be interesting to see this unfold on 24/7 next year.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Gustavsson picked up by Detroit, could be interesting to see this unfold on 24/7 next year.
This means a Vezina, Stanley Cup or Connecticut Smythe in the near future.

So does Ottawa have any tough players left?

Vrii

Vrii

Neil, Phillips, Smith, Cowen. Lost a couple heavyweights, toughness still isn't an issue.

jwhouk

jwhouk

All toughness gets you is a five-minute major and three power-play goals against in the Stanley Cup finals.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Jordin Tootoo signs with Detroit.

DETROIT.

I really don't know what to say about that.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Brodeur is still a Devil for two more years.

Neil, Phillips, Smith, Cowen. Lost a couple heavyweights, toughness still isn't an issue.
Those are all skilled players though, agitators and grinders for sure but not on the ice for enforcement. With the NHL slowly becoming a set play score league, I get the feeling that the days of the goon are gone.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Marty's staying with New Jersey After all. I am happy with that.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399751
After hiring agent Pat Brisson and testing Sunday's free agent market, Brodeur signed a two-year, $9 million contract to stay with the New Jersey Devils.

Parise is still testing the waters though.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399664

We also had a pretty big deal with Jordan Staal yesterday. We can add him to the list of players with big fat 10 year contracts. 60million, in Carolina.

Actually, the LA Kings were nice enough to break it all down for us:
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636616

-----You can stop reading here if Leafs talk annoys you.-----

Leafs were pretty inactive yesterday. We did pick upMcClement. I guess he's a good Penalty killer. We need that, in my opinion, since we just yesterday lost Crabb to the Caps. Crabb was the one guy on the team whose performance in the PK was pretty consistent all year, I felt.
Most of the action in Toronto was related to the Marlies, which I guess goes to show Toronto is still focusing on devloping players from within. I wonder when/ if that will finally pay off...
Probably the most interesting thing to happen in Leafland was the Marlies picking up Kostka from Norfolk. He's the one that scored the now infamous goal in game 3 OT, on a delayed offside in a call so bad the AHL put out a Press Release the following day basically saying "We fucked up. Oh well, deal with it."

blotsfan

blotsfan

Sabres signed John Scott for the minimum. Considering how many defensemen we have now, other sabres fans seem to think we're gonna trade another defenseman for Bobby Ryan.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So $170M spent on 45 players yesterday...not a single one of them worth writing home about.

Brodeur was really a non-event. He was just not getting the attention of management before July 1.

Still all about Parise & Suter, with a side order of Nash and Luongo.

blotsfan

blotsfan

So $170M spent on 45 players yesterday...not a single one of them worth writing home about.
I think Jordan Staal was a big deal. 10 years 60 million.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Sorry, that figure is only for UFA, it does not include any signed players getting extensions or RFAs.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Pretty boring day, still no word on Parise, Luongo, and Nash.

I see rumours Suter is going to Detroit....

Bettman is knocking 4 games off Torres' suspension though. That happened. :mad:

Vrii

Vrii

I interpret that as an "okay, your team didn't make the finals" reduction. It's still all of the playoffs plus full preseason plus 8 games, which doesn't seem too light.

Also looks like Buffalo and Dallas just made a pretty big trade. Roy for Ott and Pardy.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I like that trade.

And Price just re-upped with MTL.

Timmus

Timmus

It's toronto right :trolol:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I don't think Toronto was ever even up for consideration.

I heard it was down to Pittsburgh, Chicago, or Jersey.
But I've also heard Minnesota. Rumour has it that was why his press conference today wound up being "Still don't know."It could be that he's flying home to announce it from there tomorrow. Or so the rumour goes.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

It's toronto right :trolol:
No, Burke may do a lot of confusing things, but what he consistently does not do is through money away, Parise is going to end up somewhere that will give him a boat load of cash.

Toronto will, kick the tires at Suter, make a lack lustre attempt at Parise, engage in conversations about Nash and try to land Luongo without sending them the entire Marlies team, all before trading some small forwards for draft picks next year and some gritty AHL calibre players for them to develop.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

First notable move of the day:
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/220271035856060416
Jagr going to Dallas.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Lol Stars

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I dunno, they may not be such a laugh next season. Top 6 are looking pretty good. Not amazing, but pretty good.

Eriksson- 26G 45A 71PTS
Benn- 26G 37A 63PTS
Ryder 35G 27A 62PTS

Whitney- 24G 53A 77PTS
Roy- 17 G 27A 44PTS
Jagr- 19G 35A 54PTS

While the wait on Zach Parise continues:

jwhouk

jwhouk

God, if Parise AND Suter end up in Minnesota... I'll officially wonder if Leipold has gone off the deep end.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

God, if Parise AND Suter end up in Minnesota... I'll officially wonder if Leipold has gone off the deep end.
Big rumour right now is that Suter will end up in Detroit. At the very least, he met with their owner today.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Rumor is $90 million over 13 years.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I heard 12 years.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I posited elsewhere that GMDP should go big with this one. $100 mil over 13.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The Wild land Suter.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/161345055.html

So much for the Detroit rumour.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I hope Suter's knee blows out the next 13 consecutive years

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The Wild land Suter.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/161345055.html

So much for the Detroit rumour.
And they got Parise.

Each gets $98M for 13 years. What are they thinking in Minnesota? That's 10% of the cap for each of them.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah, that announcement seemed to hit like, RIGHT after the Suter one, or I'd have mentioned that.

Man, two $98 million dollar 13 year contracts....Crazy.

Minnesota's looking pretty good for next year.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

They now have 3 of the top 10 cap hits in Parise, Suter and Heatley and are paying $6M in cap space to the 29th ranked goalie in the league...but all is not crazy! They have Suter! One of the best defencemen men in the game today! So now they have a defenceman, they just need 5 to 6 more...

Vrii

Vrii

I'd guess that there's probably a connection between their team goalie stats and the list of players who made up their D last year. Also keep in mind that they were on a hell of a roll to start last year before injuries hit; I don't know how good this makes them, but to suggest that they aren't a good team is pretty ridiculous, I think.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

That's actually my point, the NHL has become an injury league now. You put all your eggs in one basket, don't expect to go far.

Jay

Jay

Contract length is ridiculous.

Vrii

Vrii

That's actually my point, the NHL has become an injury league now. You put all your eggs in one basket, don't expect to go far.
Parity!

But seriously, the choices are to sign a couple stars and hope you're lucky with injuries (especially in the playoffs) or spread your money around, try to do without the superstars, and hope that every other team you come up against is unlucky. I think Nashville were the closest thing to a balanced team who could compete with everyone, and they just lost a big part of their D and are set to lose another next year.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I like that they sorta agreed to go to a home town team, but neither has yet to show that they deserve that kind of cash. It does address some the two key areas Minnesota needed to address. Sadly by adding Parise, they go from 30th place in goals scored to 29th place in goals scored. Hope they have a good farm team though.

Vrii

Vrii

I'm guessing there's a (really big) hope that adding Parise makes Heatley start caring/trying/at least putting in the one-timer goals he used to. It should help that they aren't completely dependent on Koivu anymore, too.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Heatley :facepalm:
From 50 goals to 40 to 30 to almost 20 goals a season now, he definitely is not worth $7.5M a year.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Hmm, my irony sense is tiggling...

yes, it's telling me Kyle Wellwood will sign with the Leafs for $1M

jwhouk

jwhouk

Favre.

It's Favre, all over again.

They'll do well, get to the conference championship - and lose.

Then, two years of absolute suckitude, probably involving injuries.

Then, of course, Leipold will try to sell the team to someone who'll move them to Quebec.

Or Atlanta.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oh I'm not saying they'll be cup contenders next year, nor am I saying long term it's a good deal (It's not. Anythin longer than 5years is a major gamble), but the team looks pretty good right now. I think they'll have a good season next year.

I pretty much think it'll go just as jwhouk predicted, good season, lose in the playoffs, then realize they shot themselves in the foot. Except I don't think they'll move them to Quebec, especially not that soon. When Bettman's fighting tooth and nail to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix, and with the hassle that was getting the Thrashers out of Atlanta, I don't see it happening.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well, yeah, that's because the Yotes will already be in QC by that time :rolleyes:

I do predict that Craig Leipold will not own the Wild by the time those contracts expire.

Vrii

Vrii

I think realistically if this results in them making the playoffs consistently, maybe pushing to the second/third round every now and then, and further solidifies their fan base, this is a big win for the Wild. I don't think they have the depth on their roster to challenge for a Cup, but I don't think that was the expectation with just the two signings. If over the next couple years they can work in some of their prospects, make some good signings for say, a #2 D, an upgrade or two on the second line, and maybe unload Heatley for someone who gives the slightest shit about his performance, they could be a legit threat to win.

Overall, getting both of these players long term should be a big, big win for their franchise.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Well, yeah, that's because the Yotes will already be in QC by that time :rolleyes:

It'd be so nice to have the Nordiques back. I have no idea why Bettman is so friggin stubborn to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix. It's failed. Again and again it's failed.
It sucks for the fans that are there, but those fans aren't enough to carry that team, as has been proven every year since they first moved there. Pick up and move to Quebec City, it'll be easier on the whole league.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The problem in Glendale is NIMBY/BANANA politics - not only "Not in MY back yard" but "Build absolutely NOTHING ANYWHERE near ANYBODY".

People like Goldwater Institute's "policy wonks" want nothing more than to turn the clock back to when Arizona was nothing more than desert and sand.

Vrii

Vrii

And Matt Carle signs with the Lightning - things aren't looking great in Philly.

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

Yeah, that announcement seemed to hit like, RIGHT after the Suter one, or I'd have mentioned that.

Man, two $98 million dollar 13 year contracts....Crazy.

Minnesota's looking pretty good for next year.
Both him and Parise held the NHL hostage for four days and now this!

Talk about pissing your prospects of a Stanley Cup away so your fiance can spend your money at the Mall of America.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I wonder how the contracts work. I know that teams aren't allowed to put bs years at the end of contracts if it takes them past when they'll be 38

BErt

It's just...

I just...

I...

Minnesota?

images.jpg

Ok, but seriously, congratulations to them. But still WOW

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I wonder how the contracts work. I know that teams aren't allowed to put bs years at the end of contracts if it takes them past when they'll be 38
I saw a breakdown of it, it is definitely the kind of thing that just poops on the current CBA and will probably be one of the main negotiation points coming up with the new one.
Edit: Here we are.
$12M next two seasons, then $11M, followed by five years at $9M. Last five years are: 8, 6, 2, 1, 1.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Can you show me the link? I remember last year people said the Sabres signing of Erhoff wasn't allowed and it basically only was because he'll be 37 when it expires and not 38.

Edit: ah ok thanks. Yeah, I think the Parise one will not be ok because when he's 38 theres gonna be a greater than 50% decrease in the salary. Since Suter is a year younger I'm pretty sure his will be ok. Wouldn't surprise me if the NHL voids the Parise contract like they did Kovalchuk's.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Can you show me the link? I remember last year people said the Sabres signing of Erhoff wasn't allowed and it basically only was because he'll be 37 when it expires and not 38.

Edit: ah ok thanks. Yeah, I think the Parise one will not be ok because when he's 38 theres gonna be a greater than 50% decrease in the salary. Since Suter is a year younger I'm pretty sure his will be ok. Wouldn't surprise me if the NHL voids the Parise contract like they did Kovalchuk's.

Didn't I hotlink it?
Oh well.
Twitter, but it's Elliotte Friedman from Hockey Night in Canada, so it's at least somewhat reputable:
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/220587477419831296

Also Capgeek:
Suter: http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1044
Parise: http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=773

Also, here is something interesting. Suter and Parise are both 27, with 13 year contracts.
Here is every player who was 27 13 years ago.
Combined goals for last season? Zero.
http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...t&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=ps

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

Most players play NHL hockey to win eternal glory by having their name etched onto the fabled Stanley Cup. Zach Parise and Ryan Suter would rather play out mediocre careers, and sell a few jerseys with their names on the back.

Cripes! Suter would have been the perfect Lindstrom replacement; that team is virtually three years away from rebuilding itself into a playoffs powerhouse. He'd be the next big thing in Detroit since Osgood. Parise would have helped the Penguins immensely as well as bolster his career. He could have been the next Jagr/Recchi/Hossa for the Penguins. His popularity would have soared through the roof in Pittsburgh.

But instead, both want to live closer to family etc... I mean in the end it's their choice, but man I think anyone who plays in the NHL with the mindset that it's "just another job" should consider retirement. Parise in particular is rumored to have been majorly influenced by his fiance negotiating a job in Minnesota. This draft was just so... anticlimatic. I would have rather seen Parise go to the Flyers (whom I hate with a passion) over the Wild.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

What bugs me about this deal is that it required both of them to agree to the team and the length and the amount, so all those are concessions made in favour of the players, yet they are still given top dollar?

Jay

Jay

It's called desperation for the club to get players they need.... and they aren't even at the cap floor yet.

As long as there are stupid GMs giving out contracts like this, there will always be a problem in the cap world. Yet, it's a sword that cut both ways... since some GMs throw retarded contracts to some players, other GMs are forced to do the same to compete to get top-tier talent.

You can have a guy for his entire career, treat him well, help him become the best he can be, pay him generously... the moment they hit 27, a retarded GM like those in the past for the Rangers or the Oilers will throw them a ridiculous contract.

Which in turn they'll find even bigger fish Montreal, Anaheim to dump those contracts to when the player obviously doesn't meet expectations.

This is still a huge problem in the NHL today.

They should seriously commit to limit contracts to a max amount of years... 7 years is more than enough.

12 years? 13 years? These players are NOT going to play till they are in their mid-40ies....

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yup. How many of these guys are still playing today?

This type of front loaded contract is completely circumventing the whole cap system, and needs to be addressed. I have to figure this is one of the big things that's going to be on the table in the negotiations, cause this is getting ridiculous.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The rumour is a max 6 yr contract length. Which is nice in that it requires you to continue to perform to earn the big bucks in your next contract. Heatley had back to back 50 goal seasons with the Senators, so they gave him a 6 yr extension, that will expire soon. One can reasonably assume that he will never make that kind of money again.

Another problem for me with long term contracts is that they span CBA's. So if it is the GM's agreeing to them, it implies that they expect to lose ground continually at the bargaining table.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Penguins signed Dupuis away from the Toronto Marlies. I don't know if the deal is actually to have him play in the NHL or they're going to keep him in the AHL. If he winds up playing for them in the NHL, I'm going to get confused.[DOUBLEPOST=1341501336][/DOUBLEPOST]This is hypnotic:
http://deadspin.com/5923582

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

All depends how he gets labelled in the AHL. Is he development or not? It's a two way deal for next to no money, so maybe they are just filling up the AHL with a vet to help the rookies grow?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The problem in Glendale is NIMBY/BANANA politics - not only "Not in MY back yard" but "Build absolutely NOTHING ANYWHERE near ANYBODY".

People like Goldwater Institute's "policy wonks" want nothing more than to turn the clock back to when Arizona was nothing more than desert and sand.
Both of the Coyotes' fans are fighting that:
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/westsideinsider/165567

Jay

Jay

They should move to Quebec City already.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

quebec_nordiques_1992.gif

Bring it back.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm against all relocation. I want to see the teams succeed where they are.

Jay

Jay

Well if that was the case, Quebec shouldn't have lost their team in 1994.

Quebec never lost anywhere close to what Phoenix is losing season after season. I think one season loss in Phoenix was already 10 times more than what was lost back then in Quebec city of all the years combined and if Bettman had put even 10% of the effort he put into Phoenix, the team would have never moved.

Fuck Phoenix and their people.

They have a solid team for years now and they can't even break even.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Yeah, if this was 1994 I would be against quebec losing their team. And I don't really care that Phoenix loses money. They still have fans who love and care about the team. We went through this with the Sabres and are going through this with the Bills. I can't support another team going away when I know how much it sucks to hear that about your team.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The Sabres are being re-located to Markham ON.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I don't know how binding it is, but apparently when Pegula bought the Sabres there was a clause in the contract that said the team wasn't allowed to be relocated.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I can't wait for that rink to be built in Markham. I am already sick of hearing about NHL team speculation (Seriously, that just isn't going to happen), but if/ when they bring the World Juniors there, which is the current plan, I'll definitely go.

What they SHOULD do is move the Marlies there. Marlies get no love in Toronto where they are right now. The Ricoh is in just such an inconvenient place, and they are just completely overshadowed by the Leafs. Move them up north a bit to Markham, where there is still a hardcore Leafs fanbase but no team in town and I bet they'd have a real chance at a fanbase there.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm just teasing. :p

I have a problem with the location of farm teams though, what is the inconvenience of getting sent to the AHL if it's in the same city? You don't need to move or even alter your routine. Put your farm team somewhere professional athletes don't want to be, like Moosejaw, Timmins or Halifax.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I have a problem with the location of farm teams though, what is the inconvenience of getting sent to the AHL if it's in the same city? You don't need to move or even alter your routine. Put your farm team somewhere professional athletes don't want to be, like Moosejaw, Timmins or Halifax.
I figured you were teasing before, and probably are now, but bottom rung players tend to make less than a quarter of what they do in the NHL. I'm glad the Sabres are affiliated with Rochester again. Now if we need to mae an emergency call-up we dont need much notice.

Covar

Covar

Based on the 2-way contracts I've seen about $500k to $1.5 mil.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Based on the 2-way contracts I've seen about $500k to $1.5 mil.
He did say bottom rung. Bottom rung players aren't getting two ways.

*Edit: Minimum is around $40,000
http://www.phpa.com/en/content/home/about/ahl-collective-bargaining-agreement/

Average, it's tough to say, but the entire teams' payroll tends to look like one average NHL level contract:
http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/10/13/1565417/ahl-salary-charts

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

No I was being serious that time, players will always get a taste of the NHL at the various camps through the summer and veterans playing in the AHL, but think of the added motivation they get for playing in a town that loves them but doesn't have cable TV or even a transit system.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

You just want the Citadels back.

It is a good point though. But my point is an AHL team would likely actually have a really successful audience in Markham, whereas I've been to the Marlies and the place was MAYBE a quarter capacity. The Rock have bigger turn outs, and hardly anyone in the city even knows what la crosse is.

So move the Marlies back to St. John's and move a west coast team's affiliate there.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Lol, no. The Mooseheads fill that role nicely. We actually have a growing basketball affinity now.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Look, the question I've always asked when people were chasing after MY team was this: "Canadian hockey fans, ask yourself this - would you rather have the game of hockey grow as a sport, or would you rather have your Hamilton Predators/Quebec Coyotes/Loserpeg Jets?"

Vrii

Vrii

And the counterpoint is that an American team that's only there because the league refuses to relocate it, and that is losing money every year regardless of the on-ice product, isn't growing the game.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Psst, Canada? You know what you'd have if you didn't have NHL teams in the US?

The CFL.

You know - that sport that is supposedly football but no one outside of Canada actually cares about?

Jay

Jay

Ummm... where did you get "no American teams please" from the posts above?

Don't be a dipshit, that's obviously not what was being discussed.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Psst, Canada? You know what you'd have if you didn't have NHL teams in the US?

The CFL.

You know - that sport that is supposedly football but no one outside of Canada actually cares about?
What we would actually have is a adult league along the lines of our junior hockey system, but with fewer teams. With fewer teams we would have only the best players in the world playing, no talent dilution, fast paced aggressive hockey for all to enjoy.

Also, doncha be dissing da CFL. The CFL is awesome.

Covar

Covar

Also, doncha be dissing da CFL. The CFL is awesome.
You keep thinking that. It's adorable.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Nobody's saying there shouldn't be any US teams. And I don't really see what's wrong with a situation like the CFL. It's a Canadian league, why would other countries invest time into watching it? Why would we care if they do? Just as nobody outside of Australia watches Australian football. I have absolutely no idea what point you're trying to make here, taking something that nobody said and then making an argument that doesn't make sense for it.

What people DID say, is that the PHOENIX COYOTES, SPECIFICALLY,- not even any of the other sunbelt teams or any of the other struggling teams- this one in particular because of how COLOSSOLALLY it has failed and how much it has cost the league, should be relocated to another city and that Quebec City has a proven market the league could recover its losses with.

We aren't talking about Nashville, or Florida, or Tampa. These are teams that are growing. Neither are we talking the Islanders or New Jersey, teams that are losing money right now, but exist in markets where hockey is successful and could turn it around financially with on-ice success or bounce back when the economy has recovered some.

Would I rather the sport grow? Of course. So move the team somewhere where it'll grow.

*edit: Also, the only sports league I care less about than the CFL, is the NFL.

Covar

Covar

How about Carolina, no one mentions Carolina?

diva46.gif

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Off topic, Carolina and Colorado are two teams I often forget even exist. And that's not me making fun of them or anything, they just completely slip my mind. I know that's particularly funny with Colorado, given that we're discussing the move of the Quebec Nordiques.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Filthy Carolina, that's where we send those degenerate Staal brothers who refuse to play for Canada's Team.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Just who is paying for the Coyotes to be there?

Team / Average Ticket Price (09-10)
Chicago Blackhawks $46.80
Washington Capitals $44.75
Pittsburgh Penguins$55.55
Detroit Red Wings $46.60
San Jose Sharks $43.07
Vancouver Canucks $62.05
Philadelphia Flyers $60.25
Los Angeles Kings$47.20
New Jersey Devils $48.05
Boston Bruins $54.94
Buffalo Sabres $36.43
Tampa Bay Lightning $35.76
Carolina Hurricanes $38.38
Anaheim Ducks $43.50
Montreal Canadiens $72.18
Calgary Flames $59.73
Nashville Predators $48.36
St Louis Blues $37.90
Phoenix Coyotes$37.45
Ottawa Senators $52.77
New York Rangers $58.57
Colorado Avalanche $40.62
Toronto Maple Leafs $114.10
Dallas Stars $35.66
Florida Panthers $48.76
New York Islanders $51.46
Minnesota Wild $61.28
Atlanta Thrashers $48.51
Columbus Blue Jackets $47.66
Edmonton Oilers $59.71

(Prices have definitely gone up. Last season the CHEAPEST Leafs tickets I found were $119, so $114 average doesn't exactly add up.)

Jay

Jay

I'd suck a dick for 37$ hockey tickets.

I was in Tampa a few years back... watch a Tampa vs Rangers game... I paid 30$... and got stubs for 3 free hogt dogs and a huge beer.

The hots dogs and beer alone in Montreal was the ticket price... the game was FREE.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Only Leafs game I've been to was one my sister got free tickets for from the Toronto Sick Kids Hospital. Like I said, the cheapest I've found were $119, and that was for standing room only. No seats and no alcohol. The only way to get even a $70 ticket is to buy from a season ticket holder.

I get that tickets are going to be more expensive where there's more demand. That goes without saying. And I don't mind that the wealth is shared a little in the league to help the newer teams while they're still finding their audience.

But there is a problem when the ticket price is more than 200% the price of the majority of the league. That is the result of massive inflation to cover the losses incurred by an overly- agressive expansion and kneejerk relocations that needed to wait.

Timmus

Timmus

How about Carolina, no one mentions Carolina?

View attachment 7177
Send em back to hartford![DOUBLEPOST=1341594658][/DOUBLEPOST]
Filthy Carolina, that's where we send those degenerate Staal brothers who refuse to play for Canada's Team.
Didn't at least one of em play in the Olympics.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Eric Staal did. Jordan didn't, though I'm not sure if that was his choice or if he didn't make the cut.

Neither has been to the World Championships since 2007 though.
*Edit: Forgot about Marc Staal. He hasn't represented Canada internationally since the 2007 Worlds either.

Leaving Jared out of the conversation because we're talking NHL.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Ottawa traded Foligno to Columbus in exchange for Methot. I think that's a smart trade, particularly for Columbus.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I hate you all so much!

Canada's Team = Toronto Maple Leafs
Team Canada = a collection of the best hockey players from Canada representing Canada internationally

But Carolina is quickly approaching a Team Canada broadcasters nightmare

"Staal goes into the corner, he got the puck away from Suter, clears it out of the zone with a nice pass to Staall. Three on two now with Staal up the middle, what a nifty back pass to Staal on the left wing, Thomas slides, Staal puts it back over to Staal on the right. Staal with the screen in front! Staal shoots he scores! Staal with his second of the game, assisted on the play by Staal and Staal! With the play all starting with an excellent effort by Staal on the back end."

Jay

Jay

Ottawa traded Foligno to Columbus in exchange for Methot. I think that's a smart trade, particularly for Columbus.
Ottawa lost Kuba to a ridiculous contract... so Methot will be a decent stay at home d-man replacement to play with their offensive d-man superstar.

Timmus

Timmus

I hate you all so much!

Team Canada = a collection of the best hockey players from Canada representing Canada internationally

"Staal goes into the corner, he got the puck away from Suter, clears it out of the zone with a nice pass to Staall. Three on two now with Staal up the middle, what a nifty back pass to Staal on the left wing, Thomas slides, Staal puts it back over to Staal on the right. Staal with the screen in front! Staal shoots he scores! Staal with his second of the game, assisted on the play by Staal and Staal! With the play all starting with an excellent effort by Staal on the back end."
U mad bro :troll:.
Announcers will probably be on a first name basis with the staals as they are with the Sedins.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I hate you all so much!

Well, Jared I don't think is even on a two way. I am pretty sure he's strictly AHL. And MArc Staal is still with New York unless there's been a huge trade I didn't hear about.

So it's not that bad, really.

Man, I'm a Leafs fan, and I love the city, but even I think it's brazen and stupid for the Leafs to refer to themselves as "Canada's team". That's the kinda stuff that makes people think Torontonians are egocentric. They just flat out AREN'T Canada's team anymore, haven't been for some time.[DOUBLEPOST=1341598824][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ottawa lost Kuba to a ridiculous contract... so Methot will be a decent stay at home d-man replacement to play with their offensive d-man superstar.
It was a necessary trade for them, for sure. Not sure if they got the better end of the deal though. But Columbus could definitely make use of a player like Foligno.

Vrii

Vrii

Assuming Methot stays reasonably healthy, I like the trade. Every year Foligno looks like he's going to get it together and figure out how to stick in the top 6, and every year he takes 20 stupid goalie interference penalties and refuses to ever shoot the puck instead. I like the guy, he's got a solid work ethic, always gives his all, and seems like a solid team player, but I just can't see him ever sticking as a top 6 forward, and Ottawa needs room for their prospects to move up, plus there are spots in the D to fill.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Luongo sounds like he's halfway out the door already:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400063
"I had a great six years in Vancouver. I think it's a wonderful city, I really enjoyed my time there. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to bring a Stanley Cup there, which was probably my biggest regret. But it will be remembered for six great years."
Florida is still sounding most likely
Playing in a place like Florida with anonymity - to go out somewhere and have a dinner with your family and relax and stuff is great.
More here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ancouver-talks-blackhawks-190948089--nhl.html

Some gems
No, seriously, would he play for Blackhawks?
"That's a good question. I think there's a lot of cities that are great to play in, and Chicago's definitely one of them. But you have to realize that it works both ways. There's not only me involved in this decisions. It's also a question if the Blackhawks would be interested, if the team would be interested in trading me there and it I wanted to go there."
Could he deal with 'Chelsea Dagger' in Chicago?
"I like that song. It's catchy. I heard it seven times in one game."
Does he pee in the shower?
"That is a great question. I've had that issue with a lot of the boys in the locker room this year. I'm not a big fan of peeing in the shower, because it splashes around. And why would I pee in my own shower?"

blotsfan

blotsfan

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I hadn't even considered going nuclear.

It makes sense I guess, from the league's standpoint.

Man, that could be REAL confusing though. 29 teams? Realignment is confusing enough already.

Luckily the chances of it happening are microscopicly small.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Yeah, I don't want a relocation, but thatd be better than folding. Though it sounds like it'd be folding the coyotes and then expanding to quebec city in one offseason. On the other hand I have no idea how that would work. Would they have a dispersal draft of the coyotes players and then an expansion draft right after?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Man, that would REALLY dilute the talent pool.

.....Jared Staal would get to play though.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Wouldn't it stay the same? You have the 30ish coyotes players going to other teams, and then have 30ish players from all those other teams going to quebec. Quebec would suck, but it wouldnt dilute the league.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Wouldn't it stay the same? You have the 30ish coyotes players going to other teams, and then have 30ish players from all those other teams going to quebec. Quebec would suck, but it wouldnt dilute the league.
I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Vrii

Vrii

It'd make the bottom few teams a lot better since they'd get to poach the best players from Phoenix, mid-range teams would get comparatively a little bit worse since they wouldn't gain anything of note, and top-end teams would be unaffected. Then the new expansion team would be terrible on the level of Ottawa's first few seasons.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm sure everyone's seen the You Can Play video from this past season, but here's a video of Brian Burke talking a little more about what the You Can Play project:
http://ww3.tvo.org/video/179192/brian-burke-homophobia-and-hockey

jwhouk

jwhouk

Who's the "chattering class"? The TML message boards? Some guy who came up with idea on his blog? His buddy Mick "who knows someone who works as a part-time janitor at the ACC and overheard someone in a suit saying something"?

And you're not getting it: it would mean no more Phoenix Coyotes - and that's it. No 30th team suddenly materializing out of nowhere. NHL plays the 2013-14 season and beyond with 29 teams.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Who's the "chattering class"?
In the context of the article it refers to the CBA bargaining taking place in Toronto this summer.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

And you're not getting it: it would mean no more Phoenix Coyotes - and that's it. No 30th team suddenly materializing out of nowhere. NHL plays the 2013-14 season and beyond with 29 teams.
The whole point of the article is that it is not just cheaper but actually MAKES the NHL money to fold a franchise and then allow a one team expansion franchise the following season. So no, that's not what it's saying at all. It's saying that with this plan, they would play 2013-2014 with 29 teams, then have an expansion draft for 2014-2015 and be back up to 30 teams.

But the whole thing is at best a thought experiment, because NOBODY is actually talking about doing this despite what it and the Shoaltz article it's referring to say. The Shoalts article very cleverly embeds the idea that this is talk is going down at the CBA negotiations, but if you read it carefully, it doesn't actually make that connection whatsoever.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, who was involved in labour negotiations Thursday along with commissioner Gary Bettman, did not respond to a request for comment. However, Frisoni said the city is continuing to work on the sale to Jamison and will deal with any other problems “when and if that happens.........
followed by
In some NHL circles, a more drastic solution is envisioned. The Coyotes could simply be folded, its 23 players sent to other NHL teams through a dispersal draft and the league would operate with 29 teams next season.
This would allow the NHL to collect expansion fees of $200-million or more each from Seattle and Quebec City, the top candidates for NHL teams, rather than a single relocation fee of $60-million or so for the Coyotes. That is a gain of at least $200-million if a total loss of $200-million is assumed on the NHL's investment in the Coyotes.
It doesn't actually connect those two thoughts, it counts on the reader to make that connection. And Puck Daddy fell for it.
Could it happen again with the Coyotes? Perhaps. As David Shoalts wrote in his Phoenix piece for the Globe & Mail on Friday, it's something that's been discussed among the chattering class in Toronto for the better part of the last month:
Basically David Shoalts likes to drum up speculation about the Coyotes whenever and however he can.

I just thought it was interesting because it seriously never occurred to me that the league could make more money by folding a franchise than relocating it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

jwhouk

jwhouk

$100 million for Shea? Yeah, I'd be for that.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Neil back in Ottawa for 3 more years.

Holzer signs for 1 yr with Leafs on a one way?

Pierre Gauthier now working for Chicago?!?!

Also, fuck you Nash.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Parts of the rosters for the Winter Classic alumni game have been confirmed:

Red Wings
  • Chris Chelios
  • Dino Ciccarelli
  • Alex Delvecchio
  • Kris Draper
  • Gordie Howe
  • Mark Howe
  • Joe Kocur
  • Ted Lindsay
  • Kirk Maltby
  • Darren McCarty
  • Larry Murphy
  • John Ogrodnick
  • Chris Osgood
  • Mickey Redmond
  • Luc Robitaille
  • Mike Vernon
Maple Leafs
  • Dave Andreychuk
  • Johnny Bower
  • Wendel Clark
  • Ron Ellis
  • Doug Gilmour
  • Curtis Joseph*
  • Kevin McGuire
  • Jim McKenny
  • Mike Palmateer
  • Felix Potvin
  • Darryl Sittler
  • Darcy Tucker
  • Rick Vaive

- Fan 590 also stated that Mats Sundin will be playing for Toronto as well.

*WOOOO! CuJo! (hometown local)

Jay

Jay

Pierre Gauthier now working for Chicago?!?!
As director of player personnel... a job he was meant to do.

Horrible.

Also Nash could suck it... "i'm only playing with whoever I wanna play". Fuck off, you waive your NTC or you don't. You don't ask to be traded and then start giving out limited as fuck destinations.

If you didn't want to play for your team, you shouldn't have signed long term like that.

Fucking douche.

Vrii

Vrii

To be fair, Columbus as an organization is waaaay more to blame for this than Nash is.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Selanne 1 more year with the Ducks!

jwhouk

jwhouk

There is, of course, only one place that Rick Nash should logically play in the NHL.

We'll even name the town for him. ;)

BErt

WHEN ARE THE WINGS GOING TO DO SOMETHING! RABBLE RABBLE!

/SPOILED

blotsfan

blotsfan

There is, of course, only one place that Rick Nash should logically play in the NHL.

We'll even name the town for him. ;)
Rick City (bitch)?

Timmus

Timmus

Rick City (bitch)?
The Rickoon City Zombies?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Shea Weber signs offer sheet with Philly. 14 years, at least 100 million.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/225814498567663616

Preds have a week to match. If they let him go, they get Philly's next 4 first rounders.

Timmus

Timmus

Philly and their offer sheets. They're such scamps!

jwhouk

jwhouk

SIGN HIM.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

match match match match match

Timmus

Timmus

New CBA's gotta fix nonsense like this. Sorry Preds fans.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

These deals are ridiculous. Hope Nashville can match. If not, well the addition of Weber to Philly is a scary prospect.

jwhouk

jwhouk

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Statement from the Preds
"We are in receipt of the offer sheet signed between the Philadelphia Flyers and Shea Weber. Under the rules pertaining to an offer sheet, the Predators have one week to decide whether to match or accept the compensation. We have stated previously that, should a team enter into an offer sheet with Shea, our intention would be to match and retain Shea. Our ownership has provided us with the necessary resources to build a Stanley Cup-winning team. Due to the complexity of the offer sheet, we will take the appropriate time to review and evaluate it and all of its ramifications in order to make the best decision for the Predators in both the short and long-term.
“We do not anticipate any further comments on this situation until we make our decision within the next seven days.”​

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch match

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Looks like a decent replacement for Pronger.

So, I guess the song of the summer isn't "Hey I just met you" but rather "Fuck you Nashville!"

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Looks like a decent replacement for Pronger.

So, I guess the song of the summer isn't "Hey I just met you" but rather "Fuck you Nashville!"
We'll see who's singing when the Predators break a stick off in some asses next May

jwhouk

jwhouk

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch match
MAAAAATCH MATCH MATCH MATCH MATCH MATCH MATCH

blotsfan

blotsfan

Alright already. Jeez

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

this is just eating me up inside, since it's basically a gigantic cliff with one side being competing for the Stanley Cup and the other side being admitting Nashville will always be a small market team with a ceiling of stealing a playoff series every 5 years or so

also Shea Weber is the fucking bomb

also fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

also I can't handle another former favorite player joining the Flyers

jwhouk

jwhouk

Harts or Timmo? (Or Jonesy?)

Jay

Jay

That contract length is fucking bullshit. It's Kovalchuk all over again with circumventing cap shit.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Same length as Parise and Suter. But I agree. I would put money on not one of the three of them making it to 40 in NHL.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

It's slightly longer actually.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oh you're right. I thought theirs were 14 years too, but they're only 13 years.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Cause Weber is 1 yr younger and they all end when they turn 40ish as per the current CBA bs.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The poison pill is the bonuses attached to each year of the contract. And Weber misses the 40YO cutoff in the last year of the contract.

*Sigh*

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If he stays, he's going to be miserable and demanding a trade ala Dwight Howard from about the moment he sets foot on the ice next year; if he goes, the Preds are in a deep hole for most of the season and Pekka is going to wonder what the hell he was thinking in signing long-term. And those four first rounders aren't gonna be the same as the Flyers last four first rounders, that you can pretty much guarantee.

If we match and sign, we're gonna be on the hook for his contract for a LONG time - no other team in the NHL is gonna want to trade for him without having the Preds shoulder some of the cost, especially if the new CBA basically turns it into a fustercluck. And the contract is basically un-insurable - and Shea's had issues staying healthy in the past.

If we let him go, we might as well run a white flag up the pole outside the front entrance of the Bridgestone Arena. Maybe we compete for the 8AFPOS; maybe we fight with Columbus for the Western Conference cellar. This team will likely be a lottery pick - which won't help much, even with the extra 1st rounder we'd get from Philly. And, if this team starts tanking, the fans aren't gonna be coming through the turnstiles. Which will lead to financial issues, which will lead to another round of a move to Quebec City or Hamilton or Saskatoon or wherever. And this time, we might not be able to keep their damn hands off our hockey team.

I HATE being the fan of a non-traditional market hockey club. No one north of the 48th parallel wants to see you last long enough to become a "traditional" hockey market.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Holy shit the signing bonus are insane on this deal. $68M in signing bonuses! All in the first 6 years, with only a whopping $12M in salary for those years. So only $30M for the final 7 years of the contract is a steal.

jwhouk

jwhouk

That's the poison pill of the contract. The signing bonuses "front-load" the contract to the point where it makes it #### near impossible to justify agreeing to it.

Unless you're insane or your name is Paul Holmgren.

Jay

Jay

I'm not even a Preds fan and this contract pisses me off.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

This signing bonus crap is out of hand. It's a total end run around the spirit of the salary cap, we're back to buying our way to a title. Weber will have a cap hit of $7.8M but get paid $14M for the first 4 years, can any small market team match that?

jwhouk

jwhouk

There is a thought: Preds agree to it, then appeal to GB that the contract is in violation of the existing CBA. GB nullifies it, allowing Nashville to re-negotiate the contract. Of course, then Shea files a grievance with the NHLPA, and we start down the road to turn the CBA talks into another lockout.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So if the Preds agree to it and it's in violation who pays the fine?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yes. Every penny of it. Sometimes his wife chips in, too.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I don't know, who's in net for the Leafs this year.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I had to reread the last three posts three times before I understood the joke. I should go to bed.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Oh, him? He's our conditioning coach.

Covar

Covar

Massive 14 year contract offered, right after the owners told the players they're going to need to reduce their share of gross revenue by 11% to avoid a lockout.

Hurray for bullshit! Of course these are the same idiots that put such a blatant loophole into the salary cap rules and are surprised/upset that they're actually offering contracts that use it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Leafs have re-signed Kulemin, for 2 seasons, 5.6mil. So a bit of an increase from the last deal, but even with his lack of results last season I'm pleased with that. His low goal/ point count last season was not at all indicative of his on ice performance, where he was consistently one of our most hardest skating, most determined players, and if he kicks his production up next season this could be a real steal (if he doesn't then we overpaid... but still. I think it'll be unlikely he matches either of his last two seasons, I bet he falls somewhere in the between, 15-25 goals, 40+ pts range)

HCGLNS, what are your thoughts on Kuli? Are you a fan, or are you one of those people who wants him gone?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Unless the coaching staff has a good explanation for what happened this year, I'm not that happy about the trade. Does the new coach have a plan for him?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

To clarify, 5.6 over the two seasons, so 2.8 each each season, compared to the 2.2 he was making with the old agreement.
Who knows what Carlyle has planned for him? I wouldn't be surprised if we see more physical play from him though. Maybe Van Reimsdyk will end up taking his place on the second line (I know there is talk of Van Reimsdyk playing centre between Kessel and Lupul, but I just don't think that'll last. I think he'll wind up back on the wing), and he'll be bumped down to third? How he does offensively without Grabbo is sketchy, if they can get him to throw his body around more, third line might be good for him. We've seen him give out some massive hits, and he is the type of player who will battle it out in front of the net for some dirty goals. I know they tried moving him around last season, but his output was so bad last season I don't think we can really even look at his performance on the third line compared to his performance on the second.

Vrii

Vrii

If you look at advanced metrics, Kulemin was definitively unlucky this past year. I don't have the exact numbers, but his shooting percentage dropped from something like 18% to under 7% in one year? There should be no way he comes in as low next year as he did last, so it's a good value for him.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

He hit an unbelievable amount of posts.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Hmm, Pittsburgh has fired their entire medical staff and linked up with the University of Pittsburgh instead.

Timmus

Timmus

I think it's gonna be a special year in Toronto.

http://i.imgur.com/Cslcr.png

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

My morning smile!

"No offer sheets for Subban."
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Montreal/2012/07/20/20010741.html

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Not yet. He'll get signed. They want to get him a good deal more than 875000. I don't like the guy, but he's worth more than that.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The funny part is "unlike Shea Weber, Subban has not received any offers on his services", not that he hasn't signed any offers yet.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That part was pretty funny.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Not surprising. Teams rarely offer RFAs anything.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Dude on Reddit was unhappy with this crappy old census map:

(Do you guys notice anything missing?)

So he made a new survey which you should all take. Simple, three question survey. Which team, which country, postal code/ zip code:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GXRJNNP

blotsfan

blotsfan

Seems dumb to include canadian teams on that map. Somehow I don't think the main region of Oilers support is in utah.

And forgetting the Leafs is understandable. He probably just looked through all the past playoff brackets to get the teams. :troll:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Seems dumb to include canadian teams on that map. Somehow I don't think the main region of Oilers support is in utah.
Exactly why he created the new survey.

And forgetting the Leafs is understandable. He probably just looked through all the past playoff brackets to get the teams. :troll:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma!

By "Something missing" I meant all of Canada.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Ah. Missed that. Congrats, you got oklahoma. You must be so proud.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

*shrugs* If there's one thing you absolutely cannot make fun of the Leafs for, its the size of the fanbase.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Nice, though why would they use white as the colour for the Maple Leafs?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Fair enough. Can't argue that.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Currently, Detroit and Philly are leading in terms of size, with Toronto and Vancouver following behind

No details on the location stats yet. I imagine we won't see those until the poll closes because it's too difficult to keep track (He set it up in kind of a silly way, so that for "Which Country?" for example, someone could answer USA, United States, America, or United States of America. So he has to actually collate the data manually.)

blotsfan

blotsfan

I do not trust any polls that say there are more Devils fans than Rangers fans.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It's only been up for a few hours.
The poll' also only been reposted to the following subreddits:
Penguins
Blues
Devils
Canucks
Flyers
Blackhawks
Red Wings
Flames
Leafs

So it's not getting much attention from the other teams yet.

Why am I taking so much interest in this? I guess I'm a bit buzzed and really don't want to clean my apartment.[DOUBLEPOST=1342990753][/DOUBLEPOST]

In the time I posted that, it was posted to the Rangers sub reddit, and the results have already shifted:

Also, you need to take into account the bandwagonners who jumped on New Jersey when they made it to the finals.

Jay

Jay

They need to convert it to French so that the Habs fans win the contest without issue.

More Devils fans than Habs fans, fuck off. Every game been sold out for over a decade for ridiculous prices, they can't even sell out playoff games for 1/3 of the price.

And no one likes the Devils. No one.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That survey will be up for a while longer yet. I don't know how long exactly, I suggested to him that he keep it up a month and he seemed to think that was reasonable. But if interest dies out pretty quick, he may take it down early. That crappy map that didn't even include Canada had over twenty thousand votes, this one's only had about two thousand so far.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hey, you guys, big news. Rick Nash traded to New York Rangers. No idea what the specifics are. This comes from Darren Dreger's twitter as of right now.

Vrii

Vrii

Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon, 1st. Columbus also gives up a 3rd and a minor league prospect, apparently. Columbus gets robbed again.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Wow I expected him to go for more than that, with the demands they were giving out earlier this year.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

That's a really weird trade considering how much it seemed they were asking for Nash earlier.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The thought of Rick Nash playing with the Rangers is kind of scary, though. Frig I can't wait for the new season....

Jay

Jay

if there is one

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Quiet you.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

please ban everyone saying the lockout word

blotsfan

blotsfan

please ban everyone saying the lockout word
Starting with this post please.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Predators match the offer sheet. Interesting to see how Weber reacts.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=638550&navid=DL|NHL|home

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Vrii

Vrii

I do love watching the Flyers try and fail.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Dear Philly,

PPHHHHHBBBBBTTTTTTFTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
Predators Nation

P.S. - Anyone have a Snoopy happy dance GIF I can use? :)

Vrii

Vrii

I think you can sign that "fans of the rest of the NHL" and be just as accurate.

Timmus

Timmus

Way to stand up to philly's shenanigans Nashville.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Thanks, we try. :)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That makes me happy. My dad is also happy about it.

My brother-in-law does not like it, he is part of the group that wants to see Nashville fail, apparently.

My sister also likes that they matched it, but doesn't care one way or another about the success of the team she just didn't want Philly to have Weber.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Can you ask your brother-in-law a question for me?

Very simple, three letters: Why?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Because its bad enough that hockey has to exist in the united states, but the south?!?!?! Unacceptable!

Or he's a bitter would be Hamilton fan

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

He hates Bettman more than the rest of us, and would rather see Nashville fail just so Bettman can't have the satisfaction.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You need to tell him our connection with Bettman is now in Saint Paul. Yeah, we're a bit more in his corner than most fan bases would be, but Leipold was his "buddy-buddy".

Timmus

Timmus

Credit where credit's due though. Nashville's a well run organization in an unlikely location. Nashville's success is good for the game.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Now can we convince the other 34,482,778 people in Canada of that fact?

Vrii

Vrii

I don't think that wishing for it to fail is as widespread as a lot of media on both sides of the border want to make it seem. A large, large part of Canadian hockey fans just want to see good hockey regardless of where the team is located.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah..... honestly, Phoenix is the only one I ever hear people crying for blood over. Even Atlanta actually got off pretty much complaint free until it became clear that Phoenix wouldn't be relocated and the best bet to get the Jets back was Atlanta.

*edit: Other than my brother-in law, and that just started with this Shea Weber deal.

blotsfan

blotsfan

In Canada's defense, I know people here that would contract every team south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Vrii

Vrii

Yeah I've seen a lot more Flyers fans talking about Nashville failing in the past few days than I've seen/heard from Canadian fans in the past year.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Hurricanes sign Alex Semin for 1 year, 7 million.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=638704&navid=DL|NHL|home

I can't believe thats all he got. I know he's had down years but he's still young and has shown so much potential. I guess he's banking on having a great year and getting a Parise deal.

Covar

Covar

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

$7m for Semin? That's way too much. They know he disappears every play off right?

Vrii

Vrii

34 points in 51 playoff games is disappearing? There must be a lot of invisible players in the NHL.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Given that his line mates either maintain or increase their points per game over those same number of play off games while he drops by 20% I would say that is disappearing.

Jay

Jay

It's not disappearing, he's simply not a playoff performer, nor he is clutch.

Vrii

Vrii

His lanemates being who, Chimera? He wasn't played with Ovi/Backstrom pretty much at all these past playoffs, and his numbers reflect that. Before this past season, Semin had 30 points in 37 playoff games - I'm pretty sure that would be considered a playoff performer, if maybe not a Conn Smythe candidate, no? He's not going to carry a team to a Cup on his own, but as far as a first-line winger goes his numbers look pretty good.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I found one that's more up to date AND it tells you the price for concessions.

http://www.fancostexperience.com/pages/fcx/fci_pdfs/6.pdf

Also I hate Dallas now.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars/post/_/id/13315/stars-have-cheapest-ticket-in-nhl

1 Toronto Maple Leafs $123.77
2 Winnipeg Jets 98.27
3 Montreal Canadiens 88.67
4 Edmonton Oilers 70.13
5 Vancouver Canucks 68.38
6 Calgary Flames 68.18
7 Philadelphia Flyers 66.89
8 New York Rangers 66.20
9 Pittsburgh Penguins 63.06
10 Minnesota Wild 62.63
11 Washington Capitals 62.42
12 Boston Bruins 58.94
- NHL Average 57.10
13 Chicago Blackhawks 55.72
14 Florida Panthers 55.67
15 Ottawa Senators 55.51
16 Detroit Red Wings 53.28
17 Los Angeles Kings 51.92
18 Nashville Predators 51.04
19 San Jose Sharks 49.73
20 New York Islanders 49.06
21 Columbus Blue Jackets 47.95
22 New Jersey Devils 45.86
23 Carolina Hurricanes 41.58
24 St. Louis Blues 41.57
25 Colorado Avalanche 40.62
26 Buffalo Sabres 38.25
27 Tampa Bay Lightning 37.73
28 Anaheim Ducks 36.94
29 Phoenix Coyotes 36.15
30 Dallas Stars 29.95

Jay

Jay

I still remember when I watched a Tampa vs Rangers game when I was in Florida many years back. We got a pair of seats, 4 free hot dogs, nachos, 2 free beers, 2 free soda... for 30$.

My mind was blown.

jwhouk

jwhouk

That 51.04 is probably going to be going up in Nashville in the near future...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Alfredsson signed on another year with Ottawa, at the low low cost of 1 mil.

Seriously good deal.

Covar

Covar

Carolina Hurricanes sign Jeff Skinner to 6-year extension.

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed forward Jeff Skinner to a six-year contract extension. The deal will pay Skinner $4,350,000 in 2013-14 and $6 million per season from the 2014-15 season through the 2018-19 season.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Interview with Joel Ward from the Dean Blundell show this morning:

(Starts about 45min in)
It's HILARIOUS.

jwhouk

jwhouk

There are two things that are holding up the free agency frenzy: The Phoenix situation, and The CBA.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The only good part about the Phoenix ownership stuff not working out would be "Shane Doan, Nashville Predator"

Vrii

Vrii

Not a chance with the money he's apparently after. A couple years from now I can see Nashville getting in on free agents, but not while they're paying the huge bonuses in Weber's contract.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Doesn't he want something like 4 years 28 million? I can't see anyone spending that much on him.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah, that was the rumour that was swirling around yesterday; 4 years, each at around 7 mil.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Too bad, the Sabres are interested in him but 0 chance we spend that much on him. I don't want us to either.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

No signed CBA by Sept 25 = lockout

signed
Gary B.

Jay

Jay

Low ball players 2 months before lock out = lockout

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

So the NHLPA submitted their counter proposal "alternative view" yesterday, but I don't see any articles anywhere on how that went, or what was included in their draft of the CBA.

Covar

Covar

I heard something about it on local sports radio (before the national "Hockey Doesn't Exist" SportsCenter news break). Something about them reducing their revenue over the next 3 years with a stipulation on the NHL maintaining a certain level of growth.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Basically the players put together a deal that actually has some semblance of reasonableness.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Probably a little of column A, a little of column B.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I can't be the only one feeling that everyone involved in the NHL and CBA stuffs needs a "Fuck you!"

When does curling start?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hardest decision of my life:

Your name was selected in the contest draw and you have been awarded the opportunity to purchase up to four (4) 2012 SiriusXM Hockeytown Winter Festival™ and
2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® ticket packages. You will be given a time-limited purchase window to purchase ticket packages, as set out below. This will be your only window to purchase ticket packages through this opportunity. If you do not purchase within your assigned purchase window, then your access shall expire and you will not have other access to purchase through this opportunity.

Your purchase window is: Friday, August 17th 10:00 a.m. to Saturday, August 18th 5:00 p.m.
1) I'm unemployed right now and poor
2) But I could potentially Sell those tickets and turn a profit
3) If a lockout happens, my tickets are good for nothing... but I would get a refund, at least.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Dude - they are NOT going to cancel the Winter Classic. Unlike '04, they are actually talking. Face-to-face. It might take a while, and we might lose some of the pre-season, but it is NOT going to affect the Winter Classic.

BUY the tickets.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Have to wait until 10am tomorrow . When I use the login info they gave me to check the site, right now it says no tickets available.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Donald Fehr? I'd bet on a 2-season cancellation. :(

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I think there will be a lockout. The CBA negotiations have been progressing at a snail's pace and there's no way the owners are going to just agree to the first counter offer the NHLPA has given them (Which, as I understand it, wasn't even a full counter-proposal. That's still coming). So I'm not seeing a scenario where they come to an agreement by the 15th.

But I still have faith the season will start up before 2013, and as long as it's started before December is over, we should still get a Winter Classic.

BErt

I think there will probably be a lock out of some sort too but I agree with jwhouk, they would never let it affect the Winter Classic at this point.

We went to the one at Wrigley and it was just an incredible atmosphere. If you can afford it at all, buy 4. Do eeet.

...and sell two to me :awesome:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I think there will probably be a lock out of some sort too but I agree with jwhouk, they would never let it affect the Winter Classic at this point.

We went to the one at Wrigley and it was just an incredible atmosphere. If you can afford it at all, buy 4. Do eeet.

...and sell two to me :awesome:
Other than my immediate family, who is even more poor than me and certainly can't afford it, I only have one friend who would want to go. And she ALSO had her name selected today. So between the two of us we can buy up to 8 tickets. If you are serious, I could probably hook you up.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm betting on this being somewhere between NFL lockout (a few preseason games canceled) and NBA lockout (third of the season eliminated).

And DA - I severely doubt that Fehr will cause a two-year lockout.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

My purchase window has opened, but the site is still saying no tickets available. Blargh.

edit:
tickets became available.

They force you to buy an equal number of either OHL or AHL tickets. Thought I could get away with just buying 2 AHL and 4 NHL, but no.

Also all the cheapest AHL tickets are gone, so I had to buy the most expensive ones. Luckily those ones are only $38, but still. Could have saved $80 there if the $18 tickets were available.

For the Winter Classic, I was able to snag green tickets. Section 30, row 34.

You don't need to know how much I paid all together and after service fees. :(

Now I really need to find a job...

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

So do the players association and the owners alike not making money? Because I think a lockout is going to kill hockey in the US. Certainly a number of teams are going to go under.

Jay

Jay

I hope so, I want the Nordiques back.

jwhouk

jwhouk

That's what y'all don't understand - it wouldn't mean, "Hey, I get my Nordiques back!" or anything - it means a team (or teams) goes bye-bye, so-long-farewell out-the-door sayanora.

Jay

Jay

Won't happen.

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

Won't happen.

Why not? It's not like the NHL has a money tree growing out of Bettman's ass. They're going to lose massive amounts of the fans they pulled in after the 2005 lockout from the US. Hockey was just starting to gain momentum. Now, it's going to get supplanted by the NFL, MLB, and NBA.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yup. Apparently they did it last year and they had something like 13,000 viewers. I checked it out and it was every bit as boring as it sounds.
But they've put up a time lapse video now with music, much more entertaining.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...Let me guess, he put the Predators in the "loser" category (and I'm saying that without even looking at the article).

EDIT: Yep. Nice to know you can always rely on the MSEHM to push out the same crap year in and year out:

Losers: Nashville Predators – While it’s always inspirational when the franchise’s star player believes the team is ready to soar upwards in the standings, some teammates are starting to worry that that’s not the actual meaning of that “Flyers 4ever” tattoo Shea Weber keeps trying to hide from everyone.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

...Let me guess, he put the Predators in the "loser" category (and I'm saying that without even looking at the article).
Losers: Nashville Predators – While it’s always inspirational when the franchise’s star player believes the team is ready to soar upwards in the standings, some teammates are starting to worry that that’s not the actual meaning of that “Flyers 4ever” tattoo Shea Weber keeps trying to hide from everyone.
I felt good about the Leafs being listed as Winners, until I read it.
Winners: Toronto Maple Leafs – Have kept essentially the same roster that’s best known for being incapable of winning a game after the all-star break, which is brilliant since this season won’t have one.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Wait...we offered Doan 30 million? I don't know whos dumber, us for offering that or him for turning it down.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Dude really wants to stay in Phoenix.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I guess. I wonder how long itll be until phoenix knows whats happening. Ugh I really hope we don't give him that much.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Think the CBA stuff is what's holding up the approvals and whatnot.

Jay

Jay

How useless is Rene Bourque? He gets injured during the off-season... will be out until most likely end-november.

Odds are... he won't even miss a game.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I always find the best stuff online when I have the least money in my pocket:
http://davesgeekyhockey.com/2012/08/13/ghostbusters-hockey-jersey-design-2-0/

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Gentlemen and the women we annoy, The Hockey News annual yearbook is out with bold predictions for how next season will unravel!

Drum roll please!

East

1. PIT 2. BOS 3. WAS 4. NYR 5. PHI 6. TBL 7. BUF 8. OTT 9. CAR 10. FLO 11. NJD 12. TML 13. MTL 14. WIN 15. NYI

West

1. STL 2. VAN 3. LOS 4. CHI 5. MIN 6. SJS 7. DET 8. NAS 9. DAL 10. PHO 11. ANA 12. CAL 13. EDM 14. COL 15. CLB

Seriously, Carolina does not make the play offs? What ever, you drunken twatwaffles. Nashville only 8th? Why? You expect their goaltending to disappear? That's a pretty steep jump for Minnesota, lets see how well they mesh before anointing them the chosen team.

and The Hockey News predicts you Stanley Cup Champions are....

the Vancouver Canucks

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jwhouk

jwhouk

I agree with your initial reaction. And I also agree with your assessment with the West.

I have always said that should my boys in gold and blue win the Holy Grail, there should be a line of Canadian sportswriters who should have moonshine dumped on them from the Cup. And then, they all need to line up and take a Shea Weber slapshot to the groin area. :rofl:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

My only concerns about Nashville not winning their division or finishing top 6 are how hard they push Rinne. 73 starts last year with 3 rounds of playoffs. He needs more rest this year to see similar results.

I have no concerns regarding Nashvilles defence, they have a solid 3 in Weber, Klein & Gill. And the entire point for Gill to be there is that he makes young defencemen better, the writers can squawk about how huge a hole in leadership Suter leaves, but Gill fills that whole and then some. Gill is a well travelled for a reason, he makes potentially great players into great players.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Klein has become something of a whipping boy among Preds Nation because of his sometimes inconsistent play. Suter... It might be a case of addition by subtraction with him.

Timmus

Timmus

Pre season predictions are dumb. Nucks are contenders and as a fan that's all I can ask for. Enjoy the hatorade boys.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

jwhouk

jwhouk

Someone did that back in 2004-05, didn't they? :facepalm:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I hope he doesn't have to make another one. But I'd like to see it anyway.

Timmus

Timmus

I hope he doesn't have to make another one. But I'd like to see it anyway.
Signed up for a rec league. I'll play 40 games this season not including playoffs. Take your time NHL I'm making my own hockey thrills.

Covar

Covar

Players and Owners are scheduled to meet later today. Time to pray.

In related news Ron Francis is now a Ownership Partner of the Carolina Hurricanes. :)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

jwhouk

jwhouk

I am, at this juncture, very pessimistic that a deal is going to get done anytime soon.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

No kidding.

NHLPA has a press conference starting soon.
http://new.livestream.com/NHLPA/newyork
Right now it's just Crosby, Getzlaf, Chara, Lundqvist, and Alfreddsson having a chat on stage. I suppose they are waiting for Fehr.

NHL has a press conference later on today.

I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Jay

Jay

I'm telling you this again, there won't be any hockey this season.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Fehr has said a whole lot of nothing new. Kudos to the Players for working so hard, sticking together, boo bad NHL owners, we still cant agree on anything and we're still hoping to get a deal in place tomorrow.[DOUBLEPOST=1347557911][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm still optimistic, but I don't think it'll be starting until probably November.

Jay

Jay

Where are you getting that date from? I keep hearing magical dates but people really aren't listening as to what is happening.

Last time, the players took it in the teeth after a season lost. The league recovered and is now better than ever. Perhaps not on the gameplay front but they have never made this much money....

And instead of balancing things with the teams to promote equality across the league for cities who are in the red...

They want to cut wages for the players.

There's no reason to unless the owners do their own part and they don't.

They don't like giving out long term contracts.... but they still do.

They don't like giving 2nd level entry contracts huge numbers... but they do.

The owners/gms are fucking it up themselves like little children and now they want the players to take a cut while the league is trying to support a handful of DEAD teams while cities fully able to support the team if they got moved are ignored.

I'm in no one's camp but as a hockey fan.... fuck off.

fuck off for waiting till july to start negotiating.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Where are you getting that date from? I keep hearing magical dates but people really aren't listening as to what is happening.

Last time, the players took it in the teeth after a season lost. The league recovered and is now better than ever. Perhaps not on the gameplay front but they have never made this much money....

And instead of balancing things with the teams to promote equality across the league for cities who are in the red...

They want to cut wages for the players.

There's no reason to unless the owners do their own part and they don't.

They don't like giving out long term contracts.... but they still do.

They don't like giving 2nd level entry contracts huge numbers... but they do.

The owners/gms are fucking it up themselves like little children and now they want the players to take a cut while the league is trying to support a handful of DEAD teams while cities fully able to support the team if they got moved are ignored.

I'm in no one's camp but as a hockey fan.... fuck off.

Definitely got it from my ass. Can't even lie about that. Basically, I want hockey to start as soon as possible, definitely by December because I want to go to the Winter Classic. But I am not optimistic enough to say it'll be here in October, with the way the negotiations have been. I mean we all know it's not coming on time, and I suspect that with the way negotations have been handled this far, after Saturday there will be another long period where neither side so much as talks to the other.

The owners are definitely mucking things up themselves, but as I understand it that is one of the big problems with these neogtiations, is that not all the owners WANT to end those ridiculous contracts. Some see those deals as the way to save their team, others see ending them as the way to save the league. So the NHL's not just negotiating with the players, it's negotiating amongst itself.

One thing that did give me a brief bit of a silver lining to the cloud is I think some experience in the European leagues/ KHL might not be a bad thing for North American players heading into the next Olympics, since they'll be in Sochi. Gives them a taste of Russia, a lot more experience with that style of play, and some practice with their larger rinks. But, that doesn't make me want NHL any less.

On the bright side, there's a good chance I'll be forced into living with my parents by the end of October and they have cable, so I should still be able to watch AHL games, I guess.

*Edit: Also I have to repeat this:
Nailed it.

Covar

Covar

Well the season doesn't end until mid-June, it's not like everyone sat on their asses for months.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Well the season doesn't end until mid-June, it's not like everyone sat on their asses for months.
Play offs, playoffs don't end until mid June. Season ends in April. And there is absolutely no reason the Fehrs, Bettman and whatshisname that acts as Bettman's Salacious Crumb couldn't have opened up negotations as early as February, even if it was largely informal and didn't actually include any proposals.
They started in July, and that first month was largely informal talks, they didn't actually begin exchanging proposals until July 31st, with the NHLPA not submitting their counter proposal until two full weeks later. That means that as far as actual give and take, proposal/ counter proposal negotiation, they didn't start until mid August.

Then there's the fact that their negotiations have mostly been about 2-4 hours twice a week at the most frequent. The NHL submitted a proposal and then broke off talks entirely for over a week with their own hard set deadline looming. Both sides could very easily have started negotiating earlier, and could have worked much harder than they have.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Bettman's press conference didn't say much of anything either. There was concern that the NHL was going tob e announcing the lockout early, but that's not what was going on today. He basically said today's negotiations yielded nothing new. He said that the NHL proposed continuing the negotiations tonight but the NHLPA said they have meetings scheduled already (Doubtless to discuss labour issues with players who are planning on going to Europe if there's a lockout). So if any more negotiations are to take place before the league locks the players out, it has to be tomorrow.

It feels like the NHL is starting to realize that the NHLPA hasn't been negotiating, just fighting a PR battle and winning big time there, and so now they are trying to throw the players under the bus.

NHLPA: "Well, we said we'd continue to play under the current CBA but THEY said we couldn't"

NHL:"Well, we wanted to continue negotations today but THEY said they couldn't"

I don't care whose fault it is, act like adults and get a deal done.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Now, see, there's your first problem. You expect people who support and play a children's game to act like adults?

Most likely scenario: Season won't start until January 1st.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I can't believe the Sabres owner Terry Pegula voted for the lockout. He's talked such a big game about not caring about the money and just caring about hockey. Guess that was a load of garbage.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Season starts in December, just in time for the HBO special following the teams heading into the Winter Classic. It cannot go so far as to risk a season, if it does, the league owes NBC an entire season for free.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Season starts in December, just in time for the HBO special following the teams heading into the Winter Classic. It cannot go so far as to risk a season, if it does, the league owes NBC an entire season for free.
That wasn't my understanding of their deal. What I read was that NBC has to pay in full regardless of whether there is any games played, I didn't see any articles that mentioned a contractual obligation for the NHL to provide a free season were that the case (Though if that's in the contract, it would help me to understand why NBC would sign that).

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...gotiations-nbc-sports-nhlpa-owners-khl-russia

blah blah blah, now highlighting relevant section blah blah blah

Financially, the NHL’s agreement with NBC calls for the league to be paid by its U.S. television broadcast rights holder during a lockout. Any extended time lost—time that could not be made up during a 2012-13 season—would be added to the end of the contract, a 10-year, $2 billion deal signed in 2011. Similar payments were slated for the NFL and NBA from their rights holders during those leagues’ labor battles last year.
So whatever they cannot recover now, is tacked on to the end of the existing agreement. So they get paid for revenues this year, but in a decade or so they would lose an entire years revenue.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Ah, okay. The articles I read all made no mention of that part, and I was wondering why the hell NBC would agree to that deal, and sign a deal that long if they knew the CBA would expire in that time period. Now it makes sense.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Covar

Covar

:okay:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Sigh.

jwhouk

jwhouk

SIGH.

Jay

Jay

They're both to blame for this.

Bastards.

Timmus

Timmus

I love the Not Happening League!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Sigh.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Teemu Selanne wrote a long column about the lockout, which has been google- translated from Finnish to English for our reading pleasure:

What gives, Gary Bettman?
Hello again everyone! In this blog I do a lot of it is through being members of their own. However, to the extent that the summer went well and everything has been fine for the new season. I have to admit that the disappointing start of the lockout is great. But let this case right now, through properly.
I still remember a very beautiful summer's day, it was 22 July 2005. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to announce that the year-long lockout is over and excited about the foot brass, how dazzling the NHL's future when the owners finally got what they wanted. Mr. Bettman was right! NHL-size business has grown over the lock-out 2.3 billion to 3.3 billion, that is, almost a billion dollars, or 40 percent. Just so, you saw right! I'm talking about billion!
The new salary cap has evened out the sports-team level differences. NHL is a smoother and more interesting than ever, the product works and the fans like. The clubs pay their players more than ever to pay. Everything should be fine. What's wrong with this then? Is ice hockey really afford to be without playing again? Damage caused by the recent lockout has just been repaired. Most of the fans have lost approximately recovered. However, television giant ESPN, which was rejected by the ice hockey and took the Texas hold'em poker place, is still the biggest source of revenue lost.
32 teams reportedly 22 does more or less the winning result. Teams loss results, that the rich clubs would like would share part of their profits to these weakly to clubs. The rich teams in the message is a harsh one: not a chance! If you do not know how to do business, or you're wrong in the city, it is not our problem. Commissioner Gary Bettman has this great idea: Let's take out the players and give it to these poor clubs. No way around it, each belongs to "own people" in this circus. NHL complain that the players get too big pot (57%) of the total business. After all, clubs, however, it is the financial risk, the players will not have. That's true, but the NHL forget that we have a player risks. Every day when we put the skates we take a calculated risk that one of the tackle can end a career or one skate cut to stop even the whole of life. NHL player's career average duration of about four years. Is to me unreasonable "to accept" what's he doing? NHL is a clear market value of a player, the clubs and the NHL are developed. They know every player's value and pay accordingly.
NHL has warned clubs from making too long and the front-heavy contracts. After all, the clubs need them to do, if you do not want to. A perfect example is the Minnesota owner Craig Leipold, who is also one of the NHL's members of the group. He makes a two-player, Zach and Ryan Suterin A couple with 13 years and more than $ 100 million contracts (per player) and tells the hockey world how excited the entire Minnesota is fresh purchases. The next day, he put a jacket on top of the NHL, going to the other side of the table and tells the same hockey world how incomprehensible are these new long-term contracts. Come on! None teams forced to pay such sums, and in the 13 years of absurd contracts. It is their decision! Are NHL clubs still do not know that any of mega long-term deal has not yet been owners of operating. You also have to remember that it has a contractual dispute with 57 per cent share of the players had their offer, which we had to accept. And now, it is not enough!
Gary Bettman has been the NHL's boss for almost 20 years. He was hired by the NHL to bring the salary cap, and so he did, as he had received the salary cap NBA Basketball: acquisition. Twice the lockout has been a stoppage during his reign, and each time the lockout is done. Now it is the third! He is certainly the NHL's most hated person. For every NHL team's arrival at the hall throughout the hall buuaa and show her mind. Yes fans to know! He makes himself more than eight million dollars a year. Would Mr. Bettman willing to give up their salary and give part of it to these "poor" teams? Hmm ... interesting question.
In the same breath, we need players association boss Donald Fehr announced heinäkuun1. the day when the negotiations began, he did not want salary before this "war" is over. Among the players reaction was admirable. Kannattaisikohan Mr. Bettman to try to negotiate even hockey back to the big TV companies, such as ESPN. It probably could use the extra money for these "poor" clubs.
In any case, the winners in this dispute is unlikely to be found. In particular, on behalf of the fans I'm really sorry. They do not really deserve this, and you have to remember, however, that the end of the day this ship of joy, more or less pay just fans. It does not help other than to hope that this lockout would not last long, and reach back to enjoy the NHL hockey. The world's finest sport does not deserve this! Disappointed vainly awaiting better news. Good hockey through to where it is now, then start or have started!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

But, the burning question is what does Taiwan think of all this?

Timmus

Timmus

Taiwan has an obvious player and baseball bias. Sweet!

blotsfan

blotsfan

I hate both sides in this. The players already know they're going to lose (as evidenced by all the contracts just signed right before the lockout) so now its just about saving face. The owners shwo again that they don't give two shits about anyone that likes hockey or they would've done a one year extension as a show of good faith. And are they even talking now? I know the day before the deadline they didn't even talk. Newflash people: no deal will ever get done without talking.

Timmus

Timmus

Everyone join a rec league. Occupy hockey!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I hate both sides in this. The players already know they're going to lose (as evidenced by all the contracts just signed right before the lockout) so now its just about saving face. The owners shwo again that they don't give two shits about anyone that likes hockey or they would've done a one year extension as a show of good faith. And are they even talking now? I know the day before the deadline they didn't even talk. Newflash people: no deal will ever get done without talking.
Yup. Pretty much. I admit I'm more angry with the owners than the players, but when it comes down to it, I'm pretty mad at both sides in this. Neither side seems to give a shit about the fans, despite both sides trying desperately to appeal to them.
Last I read, neither side expected negotiations to reopen until "at least" Wednesday. Which is to say, nobody said they actually had any talks scheduled for Wednesday, just that it wouldn't be until at LEAST then. As far as I know, no they still aren't talking.[DOUBLEPOST=1348019054][/DOUBLEPOST]
Everyone join a rec league. Occupy hockey!
I can't even afford rent, I am not able to pay for equipment and a registration for a rec league, or I definitely would.

jwhouk

jwhouk

SIGH.

Timmus

Timmus

Yup. Pretty much. I admit I'm more angry with the owners than the players, but when it comes down to it, I'm pretty mad at both sides in this. Neither side seems to give a shit about the fans, despite both sides trying desperately to appeal to them.
Last I read, neither side expected negotiations to reopen until "at least" Wednesday. Which is to say, nobody said they actually had any talks scheduled for Wednesday, just that it wouldn't be until at LEAST then. As far as I know, no they still aren't talking.[DOUBLEPOST=1348019054][/DOUBLEPOST]
I can't even afford rent, I am not able to pay for equipment and a registration for a rec league, or I definitely would.
Everyone but checkeredhat join a rec league!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Donald Fehr nearly killed baseball, now he's trying to do the same to hockey. :(

jwhouk

jwhouk

The NHL has apparently decided to lock out its fans as well.

As of right now (10:08 AM ET), NONE of the NHL's team-run message boards are working, rejecting individual passwords and, after a couple of attempts, notifying users trying to login that "Your account will be unlocked in X minutes."

I just cannot believe this.

Timmus

Timmus

Five days in no meetings. Love the urgency guys!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

[DOUBLEPOST=1348270275][/DOUBLEPOST]
Five days in no meetings. Love the urgency guys!
The NHL PA doesn't want to cede any more ground, but the NHL owners submitted the most recent proposal. It has to be the PA that opens up negotiations again. Has to be them that makes the first call, but they're going to hold out. I am getting scared.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Don't they realize I have Winter Classic tickets, dammit?!

Timmus

Timmus

Hope you like NCAA hockey...

You'll be getting a refund at least.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hope you like NCAA hockey...

You'll be getting a refund at least.
I need to double check the refund policy though, cause unless I'm mistaken, the AHL game will still take place even if the NHL one doesn't.

I may only get refunded the cost of the Leafs/ Wings tickets, and although I support the Marlies, I'm not too keen on hitching a ride down to Detroit just for them.

*EDIT: MLSE's ears must have been burning, I just received an e-mail from them, though it isn't about the Winter Classic:

On behalf of the Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey Club, we sincerely appreciate your patience as the National Hockey League (NHL) and National Hockey Leagues Players' Association (NHLPA) negotiate a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

On Wednesday, The National Hockey League announced the cancellation of the 2012 preseason schedule through Sept. 30. The cancellation of the schedule was necessary because of the absence of a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL Players' Association and the NHL. The NHL remains committed to negotiating 24/7 to reach an agreement that is fair to both sides -- one that provides for a full season of games for our fans.

While the Maple Leafs efforts in creating a world-class experience for our fans are on hold, our commitment to our community remains as strong as ever. The Maple Leafs organization will continue our charitable outreach efforts and community initiatives as the NHL and NHLPA work through the process of securing a new collective agreement.

As a valued fan and member of Leafs Nation, your loyalty and support is very important to our organization. Your passion for the game is what motivates us. Thank you again for your understanding. We greatly appreciate your support. In the meantime, we will keep you informed and provide information as it becomes available.

Sincerely,

Tom Anselmi
President and C.O.O.
Maple Leaf Sports + Entertainment

I don't think they know what 24/7 means.

Vrii

Vrii

24 minutes every 7 days, right?

Timmus

Timmus

Wokka Wokka.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Getting into the QMJHL was my back up plan for the lockout, but I don't have cable and it's expensive as hell to watch it online. I'm following it, but not watching.

Anyway, I picked Cape Breton as my bandwagon to jump on (My dad's from New Waterford), so when I saw the score I was disappointed.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/2012/09/24/20228581.html

I am interested in subscribing to your newsletter.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

NHL, players' union to resume CBA negotiations Friday

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...l-nhlpa-labour-talks-union-work-stoppage.html
The NHL and NHL Players' Association have agreed to return to the bargaining table.
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly and NHL Players' Association special counsel Steve Fehr had a face-to-face meeting today in Toronto and scheduled a formal negotiating session between the sides for Friday in New York.
The first collective bargaining negotiations since Sept. 12 are expected to focus on non-core economic issues, a departure from the approach taken in the final weeks before the lockout was enacted.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Some guys on reddit got desperate. They are simulating the entire 2012-2013 season via CPU vs CPU games on EA's NHL '13, providing recaps and articles, and even streaming games live online.

Adam

Adam

And Luongo will still be shit.

Covar

Covar

blotsfan

blotsfan

So...this happened

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8...league-cancels-first-two-weeks-regular-season

Not surprising. Just sad. I really wish I had the willpower to just not watch even when it does come back out of protest. Ah well.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Who get the rights to Consol Energy Center once the league folds after a second canceled season?

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

My wife and I bought a used copy of NHL 12 for the Xbox 360 and we're having our own god damn season... stupid NHL.

Covar

Covar

ESPN3 will be showing 5 KHL games over the next couple of weeks. First was Wednesday, sorry, but the next one is this Saturday. Start time is 11:30 I believe.

Covar

Covar

Owners offer 50-50 split to players. If the season can get started in the beginning of November (first or second day) there will be a full 82 game season.
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/decock-nhls-new-offer-reason-for-optimism

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Owners offer 50-50 split to players. If the season can get started in the beginning of November (first or second day) there will be a full 82 game season.
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/decock-nhls-new-offer-reason-for-optimism
There's a few things in there that I think are going to make the players turn it down (AHL players counting towards salary cap when they currently don't, for one thing*), but this is still the biggest jump towards middle ground either side has made so far, and the owners actually willing to pay out the current contracts is a huge win for the PA, so we're definitely getting closer.

* From the Star's article
And the NHL wants AHL players under NHL contracts to count under the cap. No longer would $6.5 million-a-year players like Wade Redden be buried in the minors. But the more players who count under the cap, the less money there is for players on NHL rosters.

blotsfan

blotsfan

That's interesting about AHL players. I wonder if it will prevent teams from "loaning" players to Europe and agreeing to pay most of their salary, as the sabres did with ales kotalik last year.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm not sure how the PHPA is going to react to that if they agree to it (which I suspect they won't).

Jay

Jay

So, we can't get rid of Gomez?

Timmus

Timmus

So, we can't get rid of Gomez?
Sorry dood.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Some more details released by good ol' Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger:
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/10/16/3514402/nhl-lockout-2012-owners-proposal-details-nhlpa
The example provided is if a player signs a contract with an annual average value of $10 million, that value could not vary on a year-by-year basis by more than $500,000. This is to avoid the back-loaded contracts that have been used to sign superstar free agents in recent years (I.E. Ilya Kovalchuk, Ilya Bryzgalov and Shea Weber).
  1. Entry level contracts would go from three-years down to two-years.
  2. Salary arbitration would occur in the fifth-year instead of the fourth.
  3. Unrestricted free agency will start at the age of 28 or after eight years of service. In the previous CBA, UFA status occurred at the age of 27 or after seven years of service.
Darren Dreger also says the NHLPA is expected to table a counter-proposal within 24-48 hours. (Sometime today or tomorrow)
This is good. Bettman said the reason the league offered this yesterday was so they could still have 9 more days of negotiation and still fit in a week's training camp before starting an 82 game season November 2.

The more I think on this, the more I realize what a smart play this was by the NHL owners. While fans are frustrated with both sides, support has been overwhelmingly on the players' side. The NHL just offered the first actually reasonable deal, in an effort to save an 82 game season, sothat now basically the PA will look like dicks if the season isn't started by Nov 2. Clever.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And yet, they could find something that's unreasonable about it.

I think the only thing Fehr could come back with is some sort of "uncapped season" poison pill if they decided to not extend the CBA after the five/six years it's slated to run.

Oh, and what's up with the AHL stuff? I don't think that they could do that (salary of AHL player counts against NHL cap); the PHPA might have a hissy fit.

Covar

Covar

I like this is a great starting position. While there are obviously things the Players won't like (and the reverse would obviously be true if the NHLPA put forth an offer first), but there are concessions, and an attempt to address some issues from the last CBA. Fehr would be a fool to accept outright, but there's a definite starting point.

Also thank god for an attempt to close that ridiculous salary cap loophole.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I think the ages for FA eligibility and Arbitration eligibility might need to be tweaked if they want the PA to sniff at this.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah, exactly. It's not so reasonable that the deal is done, obviously. What we get as lowly media consumers is just a brief overview. There are surely a dozen things in there the NHLPA won't like. But the point is, it's a major jump towards middle ground, and its the owners, not the players, who made it (Though, really, it had to be. The players have no real leverage if they make the concessions first.)
But because it's finally in reasonable territory, and fnally some concessions are actually made, my confidence in this season actually getting played is renewed (Still not sure it will be the full but condensed 82 games starting November 2nd, but we'll see).

Jay

Jay

I went to NO HOCKEY this year to MAYBE DECEMBER.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

One more, little more detailed breakdown of the NHL's proposal, this time from the NHL itself:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=643570&navid=DL|NHL|home
NHL PROPOSAL TO SAVE 82-GAME SEASON
1. Term:
• Six-year Agreement with mutual option for a seventh year.
2. HRR Accounting:
• Current HRR Accounting subject to mutual clarification of existing interpretations and settlements.
3. Applicable Players' Share:
• For each of the six (6) years of the CBA (and any additional one-year option) the Players' Share shall be Fifty (50) percent of Actual HRR.
4. Payroll Range:
• Payroll Range will be computed using existing methodology. For the 2012/13 season, the Payroll Range will be computed assuming HRR will remain flat year-over-year (2011/12 to 2012/13) at $3.303 Billion (assuming Preliminary Benefits of $95 Million).
• 2012/13 Payroll Range
Lower Limit = $43.9 Million
Midpoint = $51.9 Million
Upper Limit = $59.9 Million
• Appropriate "Transition Rules" to allow Clubs to exceed Upper Limit for the 2012/13 season only (but in no event will Club's Averaged Club Salary be permitted to exceed the pre-CBA Upper Limit of $70.2 Million).
5. Cap Accounting:
• Payroll Lower Limit must be satisfied without performance bonuses.
• All years of existing SPCs with terms in excess of five (5) years will be accounted for and charged against a team's Cap (at full AAV) regardless of whether or where the Player is playing. In the event any such contract is traded during its term, the related Cap charge will travel with the Player, but only for the year(s) in which the Player remains active and is being paid under his NHL SPC. If, at some subsequent point in time the Player retires or ceases to play and/or receive pay under his NHL SPC, the Cap charge will automatically revert (at full AAV) to the Club that initially entered into the contract for the balance of its term.
• Money paid to Players on NHL SPCs (one-ways and two-ways) in another professional league will not be counted against the Players' Share, but all dollars paid in excess of $105,000 will be counted against the NHL Club's Averaged Club Salary for the period during which such Player is being paid under his SPC while playing in another professional league.
• In the context of Player Trades, participating Clubs will be permitted to allocate Cap charges and related salary payment obligations between them, subject to specified parameters. Specifically, Clubs may agree to retain, for each of the remaining years of the Player's SPC, no more than the lesser of: (i) $3 million of a particular SPC's Cap charge or (ii) 50 percent of the SPC's AAV ("Retained Salary Transaction"). In any Retained Salary Transaction, salary obligations as between Clubs would be allocated on the same percentage basis as Cap charges are being allocated. So, for instance, if an assigning Club agrees to retain 30% of an SPC's Cap charge over the balance of its term, it will also retain an obligation to reimburse the acquiring Club 30% of the Player's contractual compensation in each of the remaining years of the contract. A Club may not have more than two (2) contracts as to which Cap charges have been allocated between Clubs in a Player Trade, and no more than $5 million in allocated Cap charges in the aggregate in any one season.
6. System Changes:
• Entry Level System commitment will be limited to two (2) years (covering two full seasons) for all Players who sign their first SPC between the ages of 18 and 24 (i.e., where the first year of the SPC only covers a partial season, SPC must be for three (3) years).
• Maintenance of existing Salary Arbitration System subject to: (i) total mutuality of rights with regard to election as between Player and Club, and (ii) eligibility for election moved to five years of professional experience (from the current four years).
• Group 3 UFA eligibility for Players who are 28 or who have eight (8) Accrued Seasons (continues to allow for early UFA eligibility -- age 26).
• Maximum contract length of five (5) years.
• Limit on year-to-year salary variability on multi-year SPCs -- i.e., maximum increase or decrease in total compensation (salary and bonuses) year-over-year limited to 5% of the value of the first year of the contract. (For example, if a Player earns $10 million in total compensation in Year 1 of his SPC, his compensation (salary and bonuses) cannot increase or decrease by more than $500,000 in any subsequent year of his SPC.)
• Re-Entry waivers will be eliminated, consistent with the Cap Accounting proposal relating to the treatment of Players on NHL SPCs playing in another professional league.
• NHL Clubs who draft European Players obtain four (4) years of exclusive negotiating rights following selection in the Draft. If the four-year period expires, Player will be eligible to enter the League as a Free Agent and will not be subject to re-entering the Draft.
7. Revenue Sharing:
• NHL commits to Revenue Sharing Pool of $200 million for 2012/13 season (based on assumption of $3.303 Billion in actual HRR). Amount will be adjusted upward or downward in proportion to Actual HRR results for 2012/13. Revenue Sharing Pools in future years will be calculated proportionately.
• At least one-half of the total Revenue Sharing Pool (50%) will be raised from the Top 10 Revenue Grossing Clubs in a manner to be determined by the NHL.
• The distribution of the Revenue Sharing Pool will be determined on an annual basis by a Revenue Sharing Committee on which the NHLPA will have representation and input.
• For each of the first two years of the CBA, no Club will receive less in total Revenue Sharing than it received in 2011/12.
• Current "Disqualification" criteria in CBA (for Clubs in Top Half of League revenues and Clubs in large media markets) will be removed.
• Existing performance and "reduction" standards and provisions relating to "non-performers" (i.e., CBA 49.3(d)(i) and 49.3(d)(ii)) will be eliminated and will be adjusted as per the NHL's 7/31 Proposal.
8. Supplemental and Commissioner Discipline:
• Introduction of additional procedural safeguards, including ultimate appeal right to a "neutral" third-party arbitrator with a "clearly erroneous" standard of review.
9. No "Rollback":
• The NHL is not proposing that current SPCs be reduced, re-written or rolled back. Instead, the NHL's proposal retains all current Players' SPCs at their current face value for the duration of their terms, subject to the operation of the escrow mechanism in the same manner as it worked under the expired CBA.
10. Players' Share "Make Whole" Provision:
• The League proposes to make Players "whole" for the absolute reduction in Players' Share dollars (when compared to 2011/12) that is attributable to the economic terms of the new CBA (the "Share Reduction"). Using an assumed year-over-year growth rate of 5% for League-wide revenues, the new CBA could result in shortfalls from the current level of Players' Share dollars ($1.883 Billion in 2011/12) of up to $149 million in Year 1 and up to $62 million in Year 2, for which Players will be "made whole." (By Year 3 of the new CBA, Players' Share dollars should exceed the current level ($1.883 Billion for 2011/12) and no "make whole" will be required.) Any such "shortfalls" in Years 1 and 2 of the new CBA will be computed as a percentage reduction off of the Player's stated contractual compensation, and will be repaid to the Player as a Deferred Compensation benefit spread over the remaining future years of the Player's SPC (or if he has no remaining years, in the year following the expiration of his SPC). Player reimbursement for the Share Reduction will be accrued and paid for by the League, and will be chargeable against Players' Share amounts in future years as Preliminary Benefits. The objective would be to honor all existing SPCs by restoring their "value" on the basis of the now existing level of Players' Share dollars.
and an explanation of some of the points.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I can see some tweaking there. This is a good place to start, of that I'll agree.

EDIT: I don't think we're gonna have a full 82-game season, though.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Apparently the players basically said "That's a nice proposal.... for me to poop on!" today.

Jay

Jay

Pretty much.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I kinda suspected it. How silly of me to believe this could be over quickly.

Vrii

Vrii

I guess I don't understand why people are so willing to believe that the owners actually gave a fair proposal rather than using this to try to swing the media?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I guess I don't understand why people are so willing to believe that the owners actually gave a fair proposal rather than using this to try to swing the media?
It's a bit of both. Nobody really thinks the NHL's proposal was totally fair, everyone figured there'd be negotiations based on that. But it was a smart PR move by the owners for sure. Releasing the details to the public themselves was also sneaky, and made the PA look like fools. But here's where the real sneakiness comes in though in the NHL's PR move, though:

Bettman said:
"None of the three variations of player share that they gave us even began to approach (a) 50-50 (revenue split), either at all or for some long period of time," Bettman said. "It's clear we're not speaking the same language."
Gee, sounds like the players were really unwilling to negotiate, right?

TSN said:
NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr disagreed, saying two of the proposals would see the players take a fixed amount of revenue, which would turn into an approximate 50-50 split over a five-year term of the deal provided league revenues continued to grow.
The third approach would be a 50-50 split, as long as the league honoured all existing contracts at full value — a claim Daly later refuted in a press release. "It is not a 50-50 deal," he said.
James Mirtle said:
NHLPA offer No. 1 League revenues Players share percentage
2011-12 $3,303.0 $1,883.0 57.0 per cent
2012-13 $3,468.2 $1,920.0 55.4 per cent
2013-14 $3,641.6 $1,980.0 54.4 per cent
2014-15 $3,823.6 $2,060.0 53.9 per cent
2015-16 $4,014.8 $2,060.0 51.3 per cent
2016-17 $4,215.6 $2,107.8 50.0 per cent

NHLPA offer No. 2 League revenues Players share percentage
2011-12 $3,303.0 $1,883.0 57.0 per cent
2012-13 $3,468.2 $1,923.8 55.5 per cent
2013-14 $3,641.6 $1,966.6 54.0 per cent
2014-15 $3,823.6 $2,011.6 52.6 per cent
2015-16 $4,014.8 $2,058.8 51.3 per cent
2016-17 $4,215.6 $2,108.4 50.0 per cent
Basically the only difference is the players worked out a way for the current contracts to be honoured at 100% value by shrinking salaries over time, while the NHL's proposal meant those salaries were cut to 50% immediately, and while the rollbacks were to be paid back, it was coming at the cost of other players' salaries, and with a loss of about $133million.

But Bettman told the media players weren't even approaching 50/50, and Fehr did a bad job of explaining himself, which played right into the NHL's hand.

James Mirtle from the Globe and Mail is possibly the best hockey writer I've encountered, and he breaks down the latest two CBA proposals pretty well:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...t-go-for-nhls-latest-proposal/article4618449/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-50-compromise-may-not-matter/article4622895/

So, continue to be mad at everyone involved. For being this close , and still walking away from negotiations.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

just....want...hockey...

Covar

Covar

KHL games on ESPN3.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Not that kind of hockey.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I could go to AHL Aeros games, and that'd be nice, but i'ts not the same and not the same super emotional connection I have with the Predators

jwhouk

jwhouk

October 21 and 27. Milwaukee at Houston. Be there or be octagonal.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

NSFW (Language):

And today I learned that "two four" is not a universally accepted term for a 24 case of beer, as some Yanks on Reddit were thrown for a loop by this.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Theres this gem.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Theres this gem.

I've never liked Derek Roy.

I kind of just assume everyone named Derek is a giant asshole, myself excluded. Because I've never met anyone named Derek who wasn't a giant asshole.

Actually, I assume I'm a giant asshole too, but haven't actually fully realized it yet.

blotsfan

blotsfan

You're right. I've never met him but apparently he partied a ton and people did not have nice things to say about him. He also did not get along with Ruff at all which is a big reason why he's (theoretically) on Dallas now.
To be fair though, how much of that was on Ruff isn't known.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Y'know, I have always wondered what percentage of NHL players are NOT making a million a year on team rosters. I may need to look that up on that salary cap page.

EDIT: Okay, using the Salary Database on USA Today's site, for 2011-12, 273 of the 709 players in the NHL in 2011-12 made less than US$1 million last season. That accounts for 38.5% of all NHL players.

Basically, an average of about nine guys on a typical NHL roster averaging 24 players are making less than a million a year.

The correlation between number of players with sub-million dollar salaries and total payroll is -0.37; it's -0.38 for average salary and -.59 for median salary. That essentially means that the higher the average payroll, the fewer players making less than $1m a year.

Five of the 10 teams with the highest average payroll have the lowest percentage of players making less than a million, while five of the 10 teams with the lowest average payroll have the highest percentage of players under a million each in salaries.

There are three exceptions to this, which make the correlation imperfect: Colorado, Winnipeg and Dallas have three of the 10 lowest percentages of players with sub-million contracts, and yet all have average payroll in the bottom third of the league.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

So, games cancelled through November. Earliest possible start at this point is Dec 1, and the Winter Classic is now likely next in line for the chopping block.

Jay

Jay

There's no hockey this season mate.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm beginning to think you may be right, Jay.

jwhouk

jwhouk

So. I wonder who's going to host the Winter Classic for 2014.

If, of course, anyone actually wants to host it.

The NHL is slowly turning into the MLS in terms of relevancy.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hey, ow.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hey, I remember the 1980's and 90's, when there was no such thing as a major professional soccer league in North America.

The NHL is headed that way.

Hell, I'm having doubts that the NHL will actually make it to its 100th anniversary.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Oh, Major League Soccer.

I forgot that was a thing.

My mind went Maple Leafs Sports (Entertainment)

BErt

I laughed hard at the whole MLS thing...funnies all around.

David Brandon is a money whore and I swear I read that the winter classic at UM is a standing invitation to the NHL so I assume it would carry over.

Ok, back to hating baseball...

jwhouk

jwhouk

Oh, Major League Soccer.

I forgot that was a thing.

My mind went Maple Leafs Sports (Entertainment)
Oh, well, they're already irrelevant. They just don't think they are.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Hey now, trash talking is for when there's a season.

jwhouk

jwhouk

####, sorry, I keep forgetting.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

fuck it all

jwhouk

jwhouk

^^^
What he said.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I know, I saw this on the Toronto Star this morning when I got in to work. The good(ish) news is supposedly the AHL game will be cancelled too, so I'll get my full refund. I was worried I'd only get refunded the NHL ones.

jwhouk

jwhouk

My reaction is: if they cancel the Winter Classic, Gary might as well just announce the cancellation of the season. Because no one's going to have any reason to do any negotiating until next September.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Pretty much.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Fuck you, Donald.

Fuck you, Gary.

Winter Classic canceled, says source.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I double-dog dare Bettman to get up in front of those microphones this afternoon and cancel THE ENTIRE ####ING SEASON along with the Winter Classic and the All-Star Game. Show everyone in the world that you don't care about fans or the sport - you just care about the money.

Jay

Jay

He could have canceled it in about a week as well but the cancel fees would have been much stiffer.

This move speaks wonders.

jwhouk

jwhouk

It's all about the money.

I think I know who's behind all this, and I suspect he's convinced Bettman and the rest of the BOG that if they lose more than one season, they can ditch the union altogether and REALLY start making money.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

At least I should get my full refund. I could use that $800 removed from my credit card.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Dear NHL and NHLPA,

Jay

Jay

You're not getting a refund?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

You're not getting a refund?
No, I am. They have given us two choices: Full refund, or hang on to the purchase for next year.

Personally, I'm leaning towards refund.

And they are refunding the service fees as well.
Within the next thirty days, we will refund you for the full amount paid including service fees. Refunds will be administered in the same method payment was received. Should you wish to maintain your ticket package and leave your payment on account, please click here to log on to [blah blah blah] and choose the "Maintain My Tickets" option by Friday Nov.16th

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Just picked up a copy of the hockey news, it's all about womens hockey :)

Covar

Covar

jwhouk

jwhouk

Wake me up when they decide to cancel the season.

(In case I didn't ask for someone to do that already.)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Thank God. The long national nightmare is over.

They canceled the All-Star Game at Columbus. (Otherwise known as "The biggest oxymoron in hockey history.")

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

jwhouk

jwhouk

The Saint Louis Blues are worth even LESS than the Phoenix Coyotes???

blotsfan

blotsfan

Probably because the Coyotes have the possibility of being moved, while the Blues don't really.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Dear NHL, Fuck you.

That is all.

jwhouk

jwhouk

EPIC FAIL.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah, that got me at first. Especially after having read all the shockingly optimistic tweets from various sports writers.

I won't let them get my hopes up. I won't let them get my hopes up. I won't let them get my hopes up.....
*Edit: "Read", "Shockingly".
I can't spell tonight.

blotsfan

blotsfan

My friend showed that to me without context. I got so excited. Its just not fair...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I was so pissed when I got home on Thursday night to see the bad news about what happened with the negotiations that until that morning had looked to be going pretty well finally. Still am.
But, the Leafs make it harder for me to stay mad.
Wednesday, my nephew went in for another brain surgery (His 6th so far, at the age of 4). He was having another shunt malfunction. Thursday, while all that crap was going on with the negotiations, Wendel Clark, Darryl Sittler, Brian Burke, and Tom Anselmi (MLSE President) were at Sick Kid's hospital delivering toys with members of the Canadian military. On top of the wrapped Christmas presents and Carlton the Bear stuffed toy my nephew was given, Wendel Clark and Darryl Sittler also autographed his AFOs, and gave my brother in law autographed photos, and Tom Anselmi gave them a business card and said anytime they want Leafs or MArlies tickets to just give him a call.
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...maple-leafs-deliver-toys-at-sickkids-hospital

jwhouk

jwhouk

If there are so many good people involved in hockey, why the #### are they screwing the pooch so badly when it comes to labor relations and negotiations?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

World Juniors right around the corner people!

jwhouk

jwhouk

And that was why I wore my USA sweater yesterday. Sadly, it was my 1980 USA SUTER 20 sweater.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

sigh

blotsfan

blotsfan

Dear NHL,
Fuck you. I am so sick of this. I'm done with NHL hockey forever.
From,
Blotsfan

ps please get the season going soon. I miss it so much.

Jay

Jay

if there is one
most terrible shoes i say.jpg

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Bring back the WHA!

jwhouk

jwhouk

They tried that already. Flopped big time.

jwhouk

jwhouk

January 19th.

Jay

Jay

Looks like a solid offer but hard to be optimistic.

jwhouk

jwhouk

If you actually think it's going to be accepted, I've got a bridge to sell you.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Puck Daddy (Greg Wyshnyski of Yahoo Sports) had a little blog post that the NHL had contacted its off-ice officials about being "ready to go" in short order.

That wasn't what made me pause, though. The photo that accompanied the article was of a Predators fan.

Not just any Predators fan, though; it was of the late great Tom "Swamprat" Price, who was noted for his red light helmet that he lit after every Preds goal.

Unfortunately, the light was permanently extinguished after a heart attack in 2006.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Ahem.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Timmus

Timmus

jwhouk

jwhouk

YESSSSSSSS!!!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Whoop Dee Friggin Doo.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm so sorry for everyone else now that the Sabres are easily gonna roll to the cup.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Love this

Jay

Jay

I'll be damned.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Love this

That's what you think! I'll have you know that the new deal allows for every team that misses the playoffs a chance at drafting #1, so no longer will the Leafs brilliant strategy of finishing out of the lottery doom them to I have no idea how to end this joke, so boobies!

Jay

Jay

FELLOW HOCKEY FANS

Watch this!!!!!!!

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/837877/clip/0

NOW CLICK BROFIST

Timmus

Timmus

Durrzus are excited for hockey.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

That word. Tentative. Makes me nervous.

If these idiots can find a way to screw it all up, they will.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

What bugs me the most is how the entire CBA and issues therein ignore the bulk of the union.
No more huge mega year deals to worry about! Fantastic! Sadly 50% of the union will never play over 100 games.
We need to limit how these huge crippling contracts are awarded! Fantastic! Sadly 50% of the union will never earn over $1M a season.
You erase a season of hockey you erase almost 50% of the average NHL's playing career.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

video won't load. Brofisting will have to wait until tomorrow.

blotsfan

blotsfan

What bugs me the most is how the entire CBA and issues therein ignore the bulk of the union.
No more huge mega year deals to worry about! Fantastic! Sadly 50% of the union will never play over 100 games.
We need to limit how these huge crippling contracts are awarded! Fantastic! Sadly 50% of the union will never earn over $1M a season.
You erase a season of hockey you erase almost 50% of the average NHL's playing career.
Yeah, thats the big difference between the NHL lockout and the NBA one. In the NBA the union was definitley more focused on protecting the middle class of players. You can definitley tell because the top players deals are a lot worse than they were in the last CBA

Timmus

Timmus

Brian Burke just can't survive lockouts.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413146

Hope Nonis does more for leaf fans than acquire Luongo and peripheral centres. You guys have suffered enough.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I have mixed emotions about the Burke firing. I like Burke for his community service. And I think if you look at the success the Marlies have had since he took over as GM and started orchestrating our trades and draft picks, its clear he has a long term plan for success. But the problem is, that's not what he promised. What he promised Toronto, at every step of the way, was the exact opposite of what he delivered, from the net out, defence first team. A serious cup contending team within 4 years, then look what he did. He was his own worst enemey here in Toronto. If he A) wasn't so confrontational with the media, and B) actually ever did what he said/ said what he actualy planned to do, I think he might still be around.

There's talk the main reason he's gone is because Bell is pushing for the Luongo trade and he still isn't keen on it. I'm not sold on bringing Lou here either. Not unless the Canucks want to buy out his contract in order to move him. There's way too much time left on that thing for me to be comfy having him here.

On another note, is anyone still keen on doing a hockey pool for the shortened season? I have to say I'm not totally on board with that myself. I'm still pissed about the length of the lockout enough that I plan on skipping most of the season. Marlies are lighting it up in the AHL, Lacrosse season is just starting up, I can keep myself occupied. But if people want to do a hockey pool, I'd be game. Just won't actually check it until it's nearly playoff season.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The BOG has approved the tentative agreement. Now it's up to the players to ratify so we can has hockey Sunday.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Players started voting about an hour ago, online. They continue through 8 AM on Saturday, the 12th.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Meaning there's still time for Fehr to fuck it all up. :(

Covar

Covar

Meaning there's still time for Fehr to fuck it all up. :(
:rolleyes:

jwhouk

jwhouk

No, I'd be more worried about some Canadian hacker or - shudder - Anonymous.

And [user]checkeredhat[/user] : time to change that thread title, eh?

blotsfan

blotsfan

If anonymous messes with this, we can finally say they've gone too far.

On the other hand, if they force a yes vote, that's cool.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm gonna put the most obvious question out there about the Burke firing:

Was it motivated by his remarks supporting his son this past off-season?

blotsfan

blotsfan

What comments? I thought his son died in a car crash a few years ago

Timmus

Timmus

New ownership in leafs land. I think they found him too adversarial and unable to deliver on his promises.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And no homophobia came into play among the board of MLSE?

(Ironic, isn't it, considering Burke's charity is "You Can Play", aimed at fighting homophobia?)

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The Burke firing is a MSLE thing and how they intend to move the entire company forward under their new management. TFC was gutted the day before Burke was fired, the Raptors will be gutted the minute they fail to make the playoffs.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

No, I'd be more worried about some Canadian hacker or - shudder - Anonymous.

And [user]checkeredhat[/user] : time to change that thread title, eh?
Still Off Season until next Saturday.

The Burke firing is a MSLE thing and how they intend to move the entire company forward under their new management. TFC was gutted the day before Burke was fired, the Raptors will be gutted the minute they fail to make the playoffs.
Rogers was also very busy with the Jays this year.
And yeah, Burke was public about not wanting to go after Luongo. The Bell half of the ownership was public with saying they did. Nonis is the guy who brought Luongo to Vancouver. Burke is fired and Nonis made GM. Doesn't take Batman to figure it out.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Once the puck is ready to drop, a new thread for a new season is in order, yes?

jwhouk

jwhouk

CBA has been ratified. MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) has to be signed (with all the legalities of the actual CBA) before training camps can officially open.

NHL did allow physicals and such to be done Friday, and they are allowing "informal practices" in team facilities to be done, so the lockout is "sort of" over.

But it's "sort of" over like you can be "sort of" pregnant.

Vrii

Vrii

And no homophobia came into play among the board of MLSE?

(Ironic, isn't it, considering Burke's charity is "You Can Play", aimed at fighting homophobia?)
Given that the You Can Play stuff and Burke's stance on everything related was met with absolutely nothing but unconditional support from every single media source I saw about it up here, I feel pretty confident in saying that it wasn't the reason he got fired. I'm not even sure why you would make that leap when there are plenty of hockey-related reasons that fully and completely justify the firing.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well, there is the fact that MLSE is a bunch of idiots, akin to something like a third grader who owns the deed to a platinum mine.

IOW, I wouldn't put it past them.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The lockout is officially OVER.

The schedule, it is out.

I'm actually thinking of scooting over to STP for the Wild-Preds tilt - if I can get tix.

Jay

Jay

No more Gomer.

tumblr_m3b9tbNkgs1qfsfl6.gif

blotsfan

blotsfan

After this season.

Vrii

Vrii

blotsfan

blotsfan

Covar

Covar

Our (Hurricanes) opening night tickets are 50% off. It's also going to be a dollar dog night. The arena is also running a 50% sale in their store until Feb.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And oh look! The Leafs Store at the ACC is running a special! Buy two Leafs jerseys for the price of... two Leafs jerseys. :facepalm:

Timmus

Timmus

And oh look! The Leafs Store at the ACC is running a special! Buy two Leafs jerseys for the price of... two Leafs jerseys. :facepalm:
They already apologized by firing Burke.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Sabres doing 50% off on everything in the store. I also know season ticket holders got 4% interest on the money they paid for tickets.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

jwhouk

jwhouk

Meanwhile, games 1 and 2 at the Bridge are sold out.

So what city is the hotbed of hockey again? I keep forgetting.

Covar

Covar

Sabres doing 50% off on everything in the store. I also know season ticket holders got 4% interest on the money they paid for tickets.
Hurricanes also gave back (some of?) the interest on the season ticket holder money. The right thing to do, even if they didn't have to.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I just thought it was funny that buying hockey tickets is a better way to use your money than putting it in a bank.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Meanwhile, games 1 and 2 at the Bridge are sold out.
Um.. I don't get what you're saying.
Those tickets are on ebay.Meaning someone bought them.
And is then selling them at that ludicrous price because they will get them for that price. And that was my point.

So what city is the hotbed of hockey again? I keep forgetting.
Toronto. Montreal. Detroit. Depends who you ask. Hell, if you asked someone from Nashville, they'd probably be arrogant enough to say its Nashville.

Its good to be able to start up the smack talk again.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Detroy-it... didn't we beat them in the first round of the playoffs?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Detroy-it... didn't we beat them in the first round of the playoffs?
The fuck is a playoff?

blotsfan

blotsfan

You know, its that thing other teams do sometimes.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Nope, not ringing any bells.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

It's one of those mechanisms in the CBA designed to allow loser teams a chance to earn extra money each year. Naturally they have to work for it, but it's not something the Leafs need to worry about.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And it doesn't look like they'll be worrying about it this year, anyways.

And oh yeah: THIS THREAD NEEDS A NEW TITLE.

Either that or WE NEED A NEW THREAD.