[NHL] Off Season- draft, trades, rumours, withdrawl support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not Leafs pumping, just rather interesting, at the Leafs prospect camp this year is the worlds only Spanish goal-tender.

I'm really curious where Brodeur will end up. Obviously the Leafs are going to take a look at him, Burke has to. But if Burke even actually makes him an offer (which is in itself doubtful), there's no way Brodeur would come to Toronto. He wants another run at the cup, and while I'm optimistic enough to say Toronto might make the playoffs, I'd have to be delusional to say that they're a strong contender for the championship.
Florida looks pretty good, but word is they're already hanging up "Welcome Back Luongo" banners in the locker room.

If he'd be willing to take a number two role, in my mind the best place for him would be backing up for Schneider in Vancouver if Luongo leaves.

But when you throw Bernier's availability into the mix, even the prospect of a back up position gets all the more muddied.

Marty Brodeur? Because if thats the one you're talking about, I can't imagine him playing anywhere but new jersey.

I like that we re-signed both of our pickups at the deadline, Gill and the Goose.

Now if prima-Sutta would only decide to either get off the tractor or start plowing.

All toughness gets you is a five-minute major and three power-play goals against in the Stanley Cup finals.

Brodeur is still a Devil for two more years.

Neil, Phillips, Smith, Cowen. Lost a couple heavyweights, toughness still isn't an issue.
Those are all skilled players though, agitators and grinders for sure but not on the ice for enforcement. With the NHL slowly becoming a set play score league, I get the feeling that the days of the goon are gone.

Marty's staying with New Jersey After all. I am happy with that.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399751
After hiring agent Pat Brisson and testing Sunday's free agent market, Brodeur signed a two-year, $9 million contract to stay with the New Jersey Devils.

Parise is still testing the waters though.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399664

We also had a pretty big deal with Jordan Staal yesterday. We can add him to the list of players with big fat 10 year contracts. 60million, in Carolina.

Actually, the LA Kings were nice enough to break it all down for us:
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636616

-----You can stop reading here if Leafs talk annoys you.-----

Leafs were pretty inactive yesterday. We did pick upMcClement. I guess he's a good Penalty killer. We need that, in my opinion, since we just yesterday lost Crabb to the Caps. Crabb was the one guy on the team whose performance in the PK was pretty consistent all year, I felt.
Most of the action in Toronto was related to the Marlies, which I guess goes to show Toronto is still focusing on devloping players from within. I wonder when/ if that will finally pay off...
Probably the most interesting thing to happen in Leafland was the Marlies picking up Kostka from Norfolk. He's the one that scored the now infamous goal in game 3 OT, on a delayed offside in a call so bad the AHL put out a Press Release the following day basically saying "We fucked up. Oh well, deal with it."

Sabres signed John Scott for the minimum. Considering how many defensemen we have now, other sabres fans seem to think we're gonna trade another defenseman for Bobby Ryan.

So $170M spent on 45 players yesterday...not a single one of them worth writing home about.

Brodeur was really a non-event. He was just not getting the attention of management before July 1.

Still all about Parise & Suter, with a side order of Nash and Luongo.

Sorry, that figure is only for UFA, it does not include any signed players getting extensions or RFAs.

Pretty boring day, still no word on Parise, Luongo, and Nash.

I see rumours Suter is going to Detroit....

Bettman is knocking 4 games off Torres' suspension though. That happened. :mad:

I interpret that as an "okay, your team didn't make the finals" reduction. It's still all of the playoffs plus full preseason plus 8 games, which doesn't seem too light.

Also looks like Buffalo and Dallas just made a pretty big trade. Roy for Ott and Pardy.

I don't think Toronto was ever even up for consideration.

I heard it was down to Pittsburgh, Chicago, or Jersey.
But I've also heard Minnesota. Rumour has it that was why his press conference today wound up being "Still don't know."It could be that he's flying home to announce it from there tomorrow. Or so the rumour goes.

It's toronto right :trolol:
No, Burke may do a lot of confusing things, but what he consistently does not do is through money away, Parise is going to end up somewhere that will give him a boat load of cash.

Toronto will, kick the tires at Suter, make a lack lustre attempt at Parise, engage in conversations about Nash and try to land Luongo without sending them the entire Marlies team, all before trading some small forwards for draft picks next year and some gritty AHL calibre players for them to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.