[NHL] Off Season- draft, trades, rumours, withdrawl support

Status
Not open for further replies.
What bugs me the most is how the entire CBA and issues therein ignore the bulk of the union.
No more huge mega year deals to worry about! Fantastic! Sadly 50% of the union will never play over 100 games.
We need to limit how these huge crippling contracts are awarded! Fantastic! Sadly 50% of the union will never earn over $1M a season.
You erase a season of hockey you erase almost 50% of the average NHL's playing career.

What bugs me the most is how the entire CBA and issues therein ignore the bulk of the union.
No more huge mega year deals to worry about! Fantastic! Sadly 50% of the union will never play over 100 games.
We need to limit how these huge crippling contracts are awarded! Fantastic! Sadly 50% of the union will never earn over $1M a season.
You erase a season of hockey you erase almost 50% of the average NHL's playing career.
Yeah, thats the big difference between the NHL lockout and the NBA one. In the NBA the union was definitley more focused on protecting the middle class of players. You can definitley tell because the top players deals are a lot worse than they were in the last CBA

I have mixed emotions about the Burke firing. I like Burke for his community service. And I think if you look at the success the Marlies have had since he took over as GM and started orchestrating our trades and draft picks, its clear he has a long term plan for success. But the problem is, that's not what he promised. What he promised Toronto, at every step of the way, was the exact opposite of what he delivered, from the net out, defence first team. A serious cup contending team within 4 years, then look what he did. He was his own worst enemey here in Toronto. If he A) wasn't so confrontational with the media, and B) actually ever did what he said/ said what he actualy planned to do, I think he might still be around.

There's talk the main reason he's gone is because Bell is pushing for the Luongo trade and he still isn't keen on it. I'm not sold on bringing Lou here either. Not unless the Canucks want to buy out his contract in order to move him. There's way too much time left on that thing for me to be comfy having him here.

On another note, is anyone still keen on doing a hockey pool for the shortened season? I have to say I'm not totally on board with that myself. I'm still pissed about the length of the lockout enough that I plan on skipping most of the season. Marlies are lighting it up in the AHL, Lacrosse season is just starting up, I can keep myself occupied. But if people want to do a hockey pool, I'd be game. Just won't actually check it until it's nearly playoff season.

The BOG has approved the tentative agreement. Now it's up to the players to ratify so we can has hockey Sunday.

No, I'd be more worried about some Canadian hacker or - shudder - Anonymous.

And [user]checkeredhat[/user] : time to change that thread title, eh?

If anonymous messes with this, we can finally say they've gone too far.

On the other hand, if they force a yes vote, that's cool.

I'm gonna put the most obvious question out there about the Burke firing:

Was it motivated by his remarks supporting his son this past off-season?

And no homophobia came into play among the board of MLSE?

(Ironic, isn't it, considering Burke's charity is "You Can Play", aimed at fighting homophobia?)

The Burke firing is a MSLE thing and how they intend to move the entire company forward under their new management. TFC was gutted the day before Burke was fired, the Raptors will be gutted the minute they fail to make the playoffs.

No, I'd be more worried about some Canadian hacker or - shudder - Anonymous.

And [user]checkeredhat[/user] : time to change that thread title, eh?
Still Off Season until next Saturday.

The Burke firing is a MSLE thing and how they intend to move the entire company forward under their new management. TFC was gutted the day before Burke was fired, the Raptors will be gutted the minute they fail to make the playoffs.
Rogers was also very busy with the Jays this year.
And yeah, Burke was public about not wanting to go after Luongo. The Bell half of the ownership was public with saying they did. Nonis is the guy who brought Luongo to Vancouver. Burke is fired and Nonis made GM. Doesn't take Batman to figure it out.

CBA has been ratified. MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) has to be signed (with all the legalities of the actual CBA) before training camps can officially open.

NHL did allow physicals and such to be done Friday, and they are allowing "informal practices" in team facilities to be done, so the lockout is "sort of" over.

But it's "sort of" over like you can be "sort of" pregnant.

And no homophobia came into play among the board of MLSE?

(Ironic, isn't it, considering Burke's charity is "You Can Play", aimed at fighting homophobia?)
Given that the You Can Play stuff and Burke's stance on everything related was met with absolutely nothing but unconditional support from every single media source I saw about it up here, I feel pretty confident in saying that it wasn't the reason he got fired. I'm not even sure why you would make that leap when there are plenty of hockey-related reasons that fully and completely justify the firing.

Well, there is the fact that MLSE is a bunch of idiots, akin to something like a third grader who owns the deed to a platinum mine.

IOW, I wouldn't put it past them.

Our (Hurricanes) opening night tickets are 50% off. It's also going to be a dollar dog night. The arena is also running a 50% sale in their store until Feb.

And oh look! The Leafs Store at the ACC is running a special! Buy two Leafs jerseys for the price of... two Leafs jerseys. :facepalm:

Sabres doing 50% off on everything in the store. I also know season ticket holders got 4% interest on the money they paid for tickets.

Meanwhile, games 1 and 2 at the Bridge are sold out.

So what city is the hotbed of hockey again? I keep forgetting.

Sabres doing 50% off on everything in the store. I also know season ticket holders got 4% interest on the money they paid for tickets.
Hurricanes also gave back (some of?) the interest on the season ticket holder money. The right thing to do, even if they didn't have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.