[NHL] Off Season- draft, trades, rumours, withdrawl support

Status
Not open for further replies.
NSFW (Language):

And today I learned that "two four" is not a universally accepted term for a 24 case of beer, as some Yanks on Reddit were thrown for a loop by this.

Theres this gem.

I've never liked Derek Roy.

I kind of just assume everyone named Derek is a giant asshole, myself excluded. Because I've never met anyone named Derek who wasn't a giant asshole.

Actually, I assume I'm a giant asshole too, but haven't actually fully realized it yet.

You're right. I've never met him but apparently he partied a ton and people did not have nice things to say about him. He also did not get along with Ruff at all which is a big reason why he's (theoretically) on Dallas now.
To be fair though, how much of that was on Ruff isn't known.

Y'know, I have always wondered what percentage of NHL players are NOT making a million a year on team rosters. I may need to look that up on that salary cap page.

EDIT: Okay, using the Salary Database on USA Today's site, for 2011-12, 273 of the 709 players in the NHL in 2011-12 made less than US$1 million last season. That accounts for 38.5% of all NHL players.

Basically, an average of about nine guys on a typical NHL roster averaging 24 players are making less than a million a year.

The correlation between number of players with sub-million dollar salaries and total payroll is -0.37; it's -0.38 for average salary and -.59 for median salary. That essentially means that the higher the average payroll, the fewer players making less than $1m a year.

Five of the 10 teams with the highest average payroll have the lowest percentage of players making less than a million, while five of the 10 teams with the lowest average payroll have the highest percentage of players under a million each in salaries.

There are three exceptions to this, which make the correlation imperfect: Colorado, Winnipeg and Dallas have three of the 10 lowest percentages of players with sub-million contracts, and yet all have average payroll in the bottom third of the league.

So, games cancelled through November. Earliest possible start at this point is Dec 1, and the Winter Classic is now likely next in line for the chopping block.

So. I wonder who's going to host the Winter Classic for 2014.

If, of course, anyone actually wants to host it.

The NHL is slowly turning into the MLS in terms of relevancy.

Hey, I remember the 1980's and 90's, when there was no such thing as a major professional soccer league in North America.

The NHL is headed that way.

Hell, I'm having doubts that the NHL will actually make it to its 100th anniversary.

B

BErt

I laughed hard at the whole MLS thing...funnies all around.

David Brandon is a money whore and I swear I read that the winter classic at UM is a standing invitation to the NHL so I assume it would carry over.

Ok, back to hating baseball...

My reaction is: if they cancel the Winter Classic, Gary might as well just announce the cancellation of the season. Because no one's going to have any reason to do any negotiating until next September.

I double-dog dare Bettman to get up in front of those microphones this afternoon and cancel THE ENTIRE ####ING SEASON along with the Winter Classic and the All-Star Game. Show everyone in the world that you don't care about fans or the sport - you just care about the money.

He could have canceled it in about a week as well but the cancel fees would have been much stiffer.

This move speaks wonders.

It's all about the money.

I think I know who's behind all this, and I suspect he's convinced Bettman and the rest of the BOG that if they lose more than one season, they can ditch the union altogether and REALLY start making money.

Status
Not open for further replies.