not so serious but I want to rant II: Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I made it using the scrap wood in the garage, so I kinda used what I had at hand. However, this thing will survive the apocalypse. It will just take 2 or 3 people to move it.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Good news: I have two job interviews lined up.

Bad news: One of them is halfway across the country, in a diminutive little town that is almost impossible to reach without plenty of fussing around with public transport (no train link, and apparently only a scattering of bus lines even pass that place). So, I'll be spending my Friday driving for a minimum of twelve hours.

Good news: I'm more optimistic about the job interview that's in my hometown, though.

I think I use the same bank. They also don't charge you monthly if you have a direct deposit of $550 or more per month. Maybe that could be a solution? It seems reasonable to me.
On the front desk side, the only other person still there from they day I was hired is the lady who has been there nearly 20 years. Some of the housekeepers don't even have bank accounts and cash their checks at the grocery or Walmart instead. So there's no incentive for ownership to implement direct deposit.

fade

Staff member
I just saw the last Shrek movie. I wrote an extremely similar plot for the February Draw Everyday challenge we had here. I never finished drawing it, but the story was there, and I drew the first few pages. Then again, I suppose every married father wonders at some point about the maybes.

I was at Walmart yesterday and I noticed they Legend of Zelda OoT 3D on the shelf. I went up to try and buy it but when the cashier rang it up the machine denied the sale. I played ignorant as to why it would be doing that hoping that the cashier would just override the machine and sell it but to my dismay he went and asked some other employees who told him that the game was not supposed to be released yet and so they wouldn't sell it to me. :(

M

makare

Hmm either my coworkers are idiots, immensely racist, or both. I haven't figure it out yet.

I was at Walmart yesterday and I noticed they Legend of Zelda OoT 3D on the shelf. I went up to try and buy it but when the cashier rang it up the machine denied the sale. I played ignorant as to why it would be doing that hoping that the cashier would just override the machine and sell it but to my dismay he went and asked some other employees who told him that the game was not supposed to be released yet and so they wouldn't sell it to me. :(
You should've gotten pissy; clerks back down from that kind of thing.

M

makare

I am just burning up with jealousy and it is pissing me off. I have no right to be jealous at all but I am. It's killing me. :( It's one of my worst traits.

Nope, postal service.
I hear there is legislation on the table to force them back to work.
Anyone remember how that turned out in the 80s with Reagen and the striking airport workers?
Yeah. Air traffic managed just fine and PATCO (the union representing the air traffic controllers) dissolved.

Yeah. Air traffic managed just fine and PATCO (the union representing the air traffic controllers) dissolved.
Except for the hundreds of Air Traffic controllers who were banned from every holding that job again, based solely on Union associations. Yes, Clinton later rescinded the punishment but those guys were out of work for more than half a decade. There IS a reason that the PATCO strikes are usually mentioned in the same breath as the time the US Military was brought in to break a strike.

Amazon ships the cheapest way they can (figuring in any contracts with UPS and the post office). If you order something light-weight, it is probably coming via the post office, though.

Well, not so sure that we'll be having camp this next week. There is a fairly serious fire that has burned about 4000 acres near the camp and it's only about 10% contained. This is in East Texas, where we are over 40 inches behind on rain for the past two years. This drought is getting very, very bad.

So over the past week my wife and I have been planning to celebrate our 5 year anniversary by going to the Safe House and Comedy Sportz in Milwaukee last night. On Friday she got sick with a cold and on Saturday so did I. We still went, but halfway through the night I got a splitting head ache with definitely dampened my mood a little.

Still had fun, but damn it all, I just want to feel good on special days, you know?

As an update to the fire above, it's now over 14000 acres and still only about 20% contained.

Oh, this is only in this thread because it's not directly endangering many yet, if it manages to jump a road today, it will be a major concern for several small communities.

North_Ranger

Staff member
God-fuckin'-butt-munchin'-dammit...

I know my parents mean well, I really do... But today they've both lain a massive guilt trip on me, telling me "how they only want to help" when in reality they are doing nothing but amping up my already quite worrisome stress levels. There's no asking them to stop, there's no telling them to leave me alone, hell I'm considering changing my locks so one of them don't "just drop by" unannounced to tell me how much more I should be getting done with my time.

My mom's a succesful weight loser worrying about my own weight and my dad is a retired workaholic who thinks me a slacker if something he has e-mailed me about at midnight won't be fully memorized by noon the next day. God I hate being the runt of the litter...

How is the Safe House anyway? I've heard nothing but good things but I've never been myself.
I liked it. There was a ton of stuff to look at and they encourage you to wander around the place and have scavenger hunt sheets to look for the bigger attractions in the place. The food is pretty good but a little on the pricy side (I had a french dip sandwich, wife had some ribs). It's the type of place you go to every 5 years or so, really.

Now Comedy Sportz was fantastic. They moved to a new location which is much bigger than the old place. Even with a splitting head ache and tons of noise, I loved it. They were absolutely hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.