not so serious but I want to rant II: Redemption

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad is at the emergency room. They think he had a seizure but we are not sure. So now I am at the emergency room with my family waiting to hear how things are going. :(

Why is that in the not so serious rant thread?

This thread is for whining about inconsequential stuff that annoys or interrupts our lives, not for serious problems, people!

I hope things will turn out alright, hylian.

I had to freaking work today, I usually don't have to work on Saturdays. So I'm walking the store, talking to customers, doing my job, and this old lady walks up, she says something like "My toaster broke. I had a big one, got it here, but you don't have it now." I talk to her a little, find out that she bought the oven a couple of years ago, explain that companies change their assortments on a fairly regular basis and showed her what we had and talked to her about them. Got the feeling that she just likes to gripe about stuff, that's okay, part of dealing with the public and I can deal with that. Time passes, I go to lunch and when I get back to work she's back. She's in our cookware section. I step up and greet her again, and she looks at me and says "I'm looking for that big oven. It's not here anymore." I'm like "what the???" in my head and ask just which one that she was looking for (she never indicated a preference when we talked a couple of hours before) and she was "The one that was right here. Right where they all were before." Okay.... I point out, politely, that they toasters are a couple of isles over, and she pops off with "I know that, I was just looking for the one that was here earlier." So I'm going "What the hell is happening here?" in my head again.. ask her if she would like to step over to the "other" toasters and see if the one she wanted was there. We start heading over and she sounds out with "Oh, I remember now, this is where they are at." I'm wondering if she is even okay to be driving by this point... but we find the toaster that she was looking for and get her all checked out at the register, and she's I need some help getting this to my car, so I walk out to the parking lot, where we wander around for a couple of minutes because she's forgotten where she has parked, only to realize that her car is in the front row that we passed 9 cars ago, to find that she has a friend waiting in the car, in the passenger seat, car off, with with windows rolled up. It was about 98f air temperature at the time. I'm just wondering if I'll have to be calling the ambulance in a minute... but luckily everything is okay with the friend. I really don't feel safe driving around town now, this lady doesn't need to be on the road at all.

Egads! That reminds me of the day I took my wife to the chiropractor. As we got out of our car, an old woman got into her car, put the car into reverse to leave her parking spot, and gunned it, slamming into a car and pushing it up into grass area. Then she put her car into drive and gunned it, turning to the road and instead of turning crossed one of the busiest roads in town and jumped the curb on the other side of the road while her car screeched in protest.

Sometimes, seeing someone who seems a bit off get behind a steering wheel still makes me nervous.

I think this isn't serious rant material yet, but my dependency of coca-cola (Diet and Zero) is starting to cross the line to addiction territory.

I think this isn't serious rant material yet, but my dependency of coca-cola (Diet and Zero) is starting to cross the line to addiction territory.
Well, your first problem is that you're drinking Coke, rather than the far superior (yet too-often under-appreciated) Pepsi.[/QUOTE]

Oh, no, I'm also a Pepsi fan! But I generally use coca-cola as a generic word.

But, as the "spanish scottish" people we catalans are considered to be, I drink wichever is cheaper :p

W

Wasabi Poptart

Well, your first problem is that you're drinking Coke, rather than the far superior (yet too-often under-appreciated) Pepsi.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, Sir! And here they have started putting Pepsi Throwback on the shelves again which makes me happy beyond belief.

I've been trying to give up soda. It's not hard but it's also not really fun. I've taken a liking to Gatorade as kind of a substitute go to drink, but I'm still trying to go for more water.

If I'm going out anyway though, I'll still get a soda 'cause fuck it.

Hello group, I'm a Dr. Pepper addict. Kicking my habit down to 2 cans a day hasn't been easy. I'm hoping I'll be able to survive off 1 can a day, but the addiction has been pretty persistent.

Thank you.

RIght now I'm at the peak of my dependency, drinking between two and four liters of soda a day. I always try to quit it, but after one or two months I start again because:

1- I need to drink soda to work (a little like a smoker may need to smoke to work)
2- I need the caffeine (I'm used to it, but this is also aggravated by a partial disfunction of my suprarenal gland, wich causes me to have constant tiredness (and other simptoms like baldness, a premature sexual maturation, a hairy body and the kind of tumor that made my "bad" leg become the bad one.)
3- I have some kind of oral fixation or something like that: I need to eat, drink, chew gum...
4- My digestion depends on drinking soda.

I'll have to fix it someday, but I keep trying and then doing it again because I need to get some work done. RIght now, it's my master's thesis. But I always have something or the other to do.

Your blood is going to be like 1/3 syrup.
Oh, no, it's all diet soda.

Anyways, I previously used the term "oral fixation" quite freely. I just went to wikipedia to find out if it meant more or less what I meant.

Man, it fits me so much.

An oral fixation (also oral craving) is a fixation in the oral stage of development manifested by an obsession with stimulating the mouth (oral) first described by Sigmund Freud, who thought infants are naturally and adaptively in an oral stage, but if weaned too early or too late, may fail to resolve the conflicts of this stage and develop a maladaptive oral fixation. In later life, these people may constantly "hunger" for activities involving the mouth.

A child who is not fed enough (neglected) or is fed too much (over-protected) may become orally fixated as an adult. Oral fixations are considered to contribute to over-eating, being overly talkative, smoking addictions, overindulging in sugar, chewing on straws and toothpicks, and even alcoholism.

I love soda, but I've given it up. I've been soda-free for a several weeks, and hope to continue to be that way. It's seriously addiciting.

Yeah, that oral fixation is much better to handle if you enjoy sucking dick though. Not so much when it's limited to smoking and/or drinking.

Also, saying it's all diet doesn't really make it any better.. FOUR liters is WAY too much and not stopping it now will only increase the risks of serious illnesses down the line. I also find it 'amusing' that you say you need it as some sort of medical treatment. If you think that go see your doctor for caffeine pills, they make those for a reason. There are much better ways to combat the tired-like symptoms than the intake of caffeine though.
Well, not exactly "need" but "feel better when I do". A doctor would never tell me to drink coke for that, but the fact that it feels good (and that being without doesn't) makes me drink it.
In the periods I don't drink soda, I drink coffee, just 2 a day, maybe 3. But those are periods in wich I don't have to work in any papers or anything like that.

I have to fix it, I know. October is going to be the month. I promise!

(Edit: I also take madication for these symptoms. It doesn't seem to work too much, but I keep trying. It's supposed to be a progressive thing)

HERETIC! BURN HIM!! (or at least dunk him in the Chattahoochee River)
It's bad enough I have to defend my position, living in Georgia, that I have to defend it against the mewlings and brayings of TEXANS on the INTERNET. *growls*

(For those who don't get it, Coke comes from Atlanta, GA... which does put me at about the same level as a Satanist for some folks down here)

At the height of my pop addiction I was at about three liters or a little more per day. I still get up pretty high, but the first time I counted it all up it was frightening.

It's bad enough I have to defend my position, living in Georgia, that I have to defend it against the mewlings and brayings of TEXANS on the INTERNET. *growls*

(For those who don't get it, Coke comes from Atlanta, GA... which does put me at about the same level as a Satanist for some folks down here)[/QUOTE]

Jus' trin' to make you feel at home. :p

P

Philosopher B.

An oral fixation (also oral craving) is a fixation in the oral stage of development manifested by an obsession with stimulating the mouth (oral) first described by Sigmund Freud, who thought infants are naturally and adaptively in an oral stage, but if weaned too early or too late, may fail to resolve the conflicts of this stage and develop a maladaptive oral fixation. In later life, these people may constantly "hunger" for activities involving the mouth.

A child who is not fed enough (neglected) or is fed too much (over-protected) may become orally fixated as an adult. Oral fixations are considered to contribute to over-eating, being overly talkative, smoking addictions, overindulging in sugar, chewing on straws and toothpicks, and even alcoholism.
Oh sheet. I love having something to gnaw on.

(For those who don't get it, Coke comes from Atlanta, GA... which does put me at about the same level as a Satanist for some folks down here)[/QUOTE]

Hey! I'm a Texan!

And I love Coke.

Pepsi is the superior cola, and that's all there is to it.

Okay, maybe not. Coca-Cola, I have found, has a much more consistent taste globally, while Pepsi has regional variations that are sometimes slightly off-putting. When traveling, I give Pepsi a try, but I do often fall back on Coke because the Pepsi is too different to warrant any loyalty.

M

makare

I like coke zero the best. It has just the right amount of carbonation for me.

Why can I never get up. I slept in until 2 in the afternoon today, because I had the day off. I was in bed at midnight last night, which means 8 or 9 would not bee too early to get up. And yet I don't even remember my alarms going off. I just slept right through them.

Now, I won't get to sleep tonight until at least 4, and I have to work tomorrow.

Not sure whether home sick as an adult is better or worse than as a kid. As a kid, you could sometimes get a day off through fudging it, otherwise you might be restricted in what you could do by a parent or someone keeping an eye on you.

Now as an adult, you really don't want to get off from work since it lowers your pay, so you'll only take off if you're feeling too shitty even to go in.

...Anyway, home sick, no one posting, getting some rest, popping the Tylenol, fun. I went in yesterday and I shouldn't have. I woke up feeling "yeah, I could go in", thought better of it and stayed home. Now that it's been a couple hours and the fever's really cooking again, I know I made the right decision. I can't remember the last time a freezing cold shower actually felt good before this morning.

E

Element 117

Feel better, and avoid your loved ones. If you start to turn, I'll do the humane thing.

I hear you, Skutch. I've gone in to work a couple times with a fever, and I was essentially useless. The drive there was probably downright risky. You're better off just losing the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.