North_Ranger

Fuck. Just... fuck.

You guys probably don't know this, or maybe some of you closer to N_R do, but that guy sent me the best fucking emails when I was having a shitty time, he really helped me see things from a different perspective, oh so many years ago, and I never forgot that. I'm so fucking bummed that I was sure he was gonna beat this that I didn't ...pay enough attention or ..y'know. He knew that I thought he was one of the best humans on this planet, but I still feel like I should've told him more.

I'm sorry for your loss, guys. I know how hard this can hit.

doomdragon6

Staff member
I posted this elsewhere, I'll post it here:

No man should pass into the next realm with nary a whisper, so it is for that reason I post this update.

My online friend, known by me and many others as North_Ranger, passed away earlier today at 17:40 Finnish time. He had been battling cancer for the past few years, and I'm serious when I say battling; this was a true viking of a man.

He always kept an upbeat demeanor and it always sounded like things were getting better. But recently things took a turn for the worse and it became a situation where it was either a matter of years or a matter of days. It was so sudden that barely anyone got to give him a last round of support.

So in lieu of support, here is my goodbye:

N_R, you were a hell of a man and far stronger than I could ever hope to be. You dealt with a terrible situation for years and kept a smile on your face all the way through. I always looked up to how strong you were, and hate that the world has been robbed of such a man. I know you're still kicking ass in the Hall of Vikings.

Godspeed, you pantsless bastard.

Oh, man. I saw this on Facebook a little while ago.

Godspeed, N_R. You were an awesome guy and you will be sorely missed.

N_R was well loved and respected. He had great character and a big heart. He was able to effortlessly make everyone else have a good time. I think it goes without saying that he will be greatly missed.

I am really, truly devastated that I never got to redeem this coupon (received as part of my Secret Santa gift from N_R a few years ago) in person. I still have it and everything -- was even seriously thinking about swinging by Finland on my trip to Europe this summer.

I feel like he would have given awesome hugs. We exchanged enough virtual ones on the forums here over the years, but it's not the same.

*hug* to you, buddy.

PIC_0080.JPG

I had been trying to think of the right thing to say for my message to N_R, and now this... I'm just at a total loss. I will miss him dearly.

I'm incredibly sad, but this isn't something to be mourned. Do you know why? Because goddammit, that man fought for the last 2+ years and never let it beat him - at least mentally. At least on here, he always had a positive, fighting attitude about it, constantly trying to keep his spirits up and still doing his best to interact with us and showing how much he cared. I'm sure we've all heard of people who have either given up, lost hope, etc. But North Ranger? Never gave up. He got angry or upset and with good reason when he was given bad news about his deteriorating health, but he kept fighting. Like a proud man with viking heritage should do.

His life isn't one to be mourned.

It's to be celebrated.

Last edited:
All this time, his name was similar to the lady ninja in Sin City? Now I'll never get the chance to tease him about it, calling him Deadly Little Mikko or something.
(I say this in jest. I'm certain he would've laughed at that.)

I just found out when I logged in after getting home. Just sitting here crying. Just...it's not fair. He was one of the most positive, hilarious guys on here with a great sense of humour. Yeah, he got upset over things like sauna pants sometimes or other things, but we all get upset over little things sometimes. The guy fought and fought and fought, always with a smile on his face (at least on here).

It's just...it's not fair. It's not fair that we have to lose someone like that.

I'll miss you, you viking bastard. I hope they have amazing saunas up there you can enjoy.

figmentPez

Staff member
I saw the post on Twitter/Facebook, and starting sobbing. North_Ranger and I weren't close, I'm not sure we ever even changed PMs, but I had great respect and affection for him.

In a very strange way I consider Halforums to be family. You guys have put up with more of my shit, while still wanting me around, than anyone outside my nuclear family. N_R is a Halforumite; so goodbye my brother, you will be missed.

I was just browsing my facebook and was hoping I drastically misinterpreted the message. My heart stopped in my chest.

I don't even know what to say. I knew he was sick...but, for what ever reason, I never actually considered the possibility that such a young, nice man would actually die. He was one of the people on this forum that I loved the most.

I will miss him sorely.

Cajungal

Staff member
Cannot stop crying. I really thought that somehow he would make it through. I will miss him so much. See you later, Milkko.

I wish I could think of something uplifting and positive to post. I never had the pleasure of knowing N_R in person, but we interacted a lot on the forum. He was always so positive and good hearted, a counterpoint to my usual cynicism. He will be greatly missed.

Just... fuck.

I don't even know what to say. It's surprising in a good way I think that Mikko was able to affect us all this much.

I'll miss the hell out of him.

Cajungal

Staff member
He made me laugh. Better, when he said something kind, he made me feel comforted. There was such a sweetness about him.

The internet can be a cold place filled with people who whine about losing all faith in humanity. He proved that this was a ridiculous notion. That's what this place is for me in general. We're lucky to have one another, and we're lucky to have known him as long as we did.

I've read through this thread and I keep thinking "Gee, I wonder what North Ranger is gonna say about all this." :(

RIP

Dave

Staff member
Some pictures the Big Guy posted.

He loved to go to the Ren Faire. He took a lot of pictures, but is in none of them!

k2_ 028.JPG k2_ 055.JPG k2_ 068.JPG k2_ 093.JPG k2_ 186.JPG k33_ 043.JPG k33_ 045.JPG

He would occasionally draw us. And if you were in the picture, it meant so much.

skannaa0002.jpg

Him cutting the cheese! (His words, not mine!!)

2012_Xmas_ Cut the cheese.JPG

And finally, Mikko hanging out with the impossibly handsome @Baerdog!

IMG_0245.JPG

God love ya, Mikko. While I celebrate the fact that I could know you, my world is a bit dimmer now that your light is gone.

Kuva0244.jpg

I hope I get to see you again in whatever Heaven you're in now, Mikko.

Oh geez, I finally lost it while writing that. You were brave through the whole thing, and I can only hope I can face my end with half the dignity and grace you showed.

I'm utterly in shock. I can't even think of anything to say right now. My condolences to his family and to all of us who cared about N_R.

I've got to go make my brain work enough so I can bake a cake for tomorrow. Perkele.

I'm holding it together for a few days while some friends are here, but it'll all be coming out on Sunday. I'll miss you, Mikko, and I can only pray that I can meet whatever life gives with the cheer, strength and optimism that you radiated. A bit trite, but I'll think of you whenever I read this from now on:

"Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die." -Mary Elizabeth Frye

Zappit

Staff member
I regret never finishing the Henry VIII strips. NR loved the first one and was always trying to get me to finish that mini-biography. I went looking for those handwritten scripts yesterday, when I saw the fundraiser thread. Thought I'd put a rush job on finishing it, but now...

God dammit, dammit, dammit, dammit.

Fuck.

I don't even have the words to express how I'm feeling, man.

God dammit this is so fucking unfair.

Rest in peace, Mikko. In your honor, I shall destroy every pair of sauna pants I ever see in my life.

Zappit

Staff member
In a very strange way I consider Halforums to be family. You guys have put up with more of my shit, while still wanting me around, than anyone outside my nuclear family. N_R is a Halforumite; so goodbye my brother, you will be missed.
It's because we are a family, Pez. That's why this hurts so bad. We've had a lot of folks come and go, but this is the first time we've lost a member of our family, and it was one of our best.