[NFL] NFL Thread

Yeah, @Dave, Dak's extension is going to be paid on the backs of all those people who lost their gas lines during this storm. Just remember that when you hear someone yell "HOW BOUT DEM DALLAS COWBOYS?"

EDIT: Oh, and @DarkAudit - you could always join me and root for the team whose owner is the fans themselves. :D

So. I'm kinda non-plussed today. On the one hand, J.J. Watt decided not to sign with the Green Bay Packers.

However, on the other hand, J.J. Watt has decided, like the rest of us semi-retired Cheeseheads, to move to Arizona.

Did I hear correctly that NFL medical science has a declaration that black people are inherently less intelligent than white people?

As in "you have mental decline from concussions? Oh you're black, so you were stupid to begin with, so you've had a smaller decline."

And this program began in the 1990's?

What the fuck?

Dave

Staff member
Wow this is the first I've heard of this. They put it in so that they'd have to pay out less money for traumatic brain injuries since the rule makes it harder for black players to prove cognitive impairment due to trauma. Absolutely unconscionable.

From an article:

The binary race norms, when they are used in the testing, assume that Black patients start with worse cognitive function than whites and other non-Blacks. That makes it harder for them to show a deficit and qualify for an award.

Unfortunately, this information came out a few years back when the controversy about the NFL and concussions first came out. I remember it was part of the lawsuit some NFL players were forming. Shit like this didn't end with Tuskegee, and I'm sure there's going to be more.

No one can ever hope to live up to that kind of money. Unless he is the league MVP AND wins a Superbowl every year of his contract people will see this as being overpaid. It's setting him up to fail in the eyes of the fans.

Poor bastard.

No one can ever hope to live up to that kind of money. Unless he is the league MVP AND wins a Superbowl every year of his contract people will see this as being overpaid. It's setting him up to fail in the eyes of the fans.

Poor bastard.
Mahomes did neither last year while making effective. Would you call him overpaid?

Meh, depends on how the contract is structured. I assume the $258M is bullshit right off the bat.
if he continues to be as good as he was last year, the contract will probably be reworked to give him more money in about 4-5 years. If he doesn’t then yeah he won’t make that.

I know this isn't the politics thread, but son, I am so very disappoint.
Received the following "forwarded email" today from Lindsey Graham (because I have no idea who Jerry Collier is but somehow Lindsey Graham thinks that's me):

: Herschel Walker is running!
Wed, Aug 25, 2021 3:38 pm
Lindsey Graham campaign@lindseygraham.com
To Jerry Collier

Jerry,
A few minutes ago, I received an important email that I wanted to share with you immediately. My friend, Herschel Walker, just announced his candidacy for the United States Senate in Georgia! Herschel is a conservative fighter and our best opportunity to pick up a seat that will help Republicans RECLAIM THE MAJORITY in the Senate. He's running against newly elected Senator Raphael Warnock, the most vulnerable Democrat up for election in 2022.

Jerry, I want you to hear directly from Herschel on why he's running, so I've forwarded his email below. I know that Herschel will make a great senator. Please join me in supporting his campaign from Day One.

Thanks,
Lindsey Graham

Date: Wednesday, August 25, 2021
Subject: I am proud to call myself a conservative

Many years ago, a kid from the small town of Wrightsville, Georgia, started down the path to achieve the American Dream. He worked extremely hard, put his faith in God, and never gave up when the going got tough. That kid went on to win the Heisman Trophy in college football and set records as a running back in the National Football League.

That kid was me. I have been blessed to live the American Dream, and now I am dedicating my life to ensuring every American has the same opportunity to achieve their dreams. Today, I officially launched my campaign for the United States Senate – and I want to tell you why I am running. From my family and community, I learned the value of hard work. From competing in sports, I learned about teamwork and determination. My family taught me it doesn't matter where you come from or the color of your skin. If you make sacrifices and put in the work, you can achieve your dreams. But over the years, I learned that politicians in Washington are more concerned with pitting us against each other than finding common ground.

It's time for that to change.

Jerry, I am proud to call myself a conservative. I believe in smaller government, a strong military, and personal responsibility. I want to make sure everyone in this country who works hard has the opportunity to achieve their dreams – just like I did. I believe that the American Dream is still achievable, but we must send leaders to Washington who will unite us – not divide us. I want you to hear directly from me about why I'm running for the United States Senate, so I am asking you to please watch my campaign video.

Jerry, this country is worth fighting for, and it's up to us to keep the American Dream alive for future generations. I hope I can earn your support.

Sincerely,
Herschel Walker
Republican for United States Senate
Until I got this email, I didn't realize how far down the rabbit hole HW had fallen, and now I'm sad. It would be like hearing Anthony Carter announcing he's going to be DeSantis' 2024 running mate.

--Patrick

I haven’t done fantasy football in 5 years. Not only did I somehow get roped into one today, but last place has to get a tattoo. So I guess I’m gonna try hard.