Export thread

Need a place to post concerns/complaints

Adam

Adam

I think thread derails may have a better chance of being mitigated if there was a place in an 'administrative forum' for people to post their concerns. I don't need to be chided for pointing out hypocrisy by our local sensitive cosplay mod. If I don't respond to it there, I really don't have anywhere to respond to it.

"
You have received a private message from figmentPez

"Adam,

I know you're joking, but please don't push me on this issue in the cosplay area.

I politely overlooked your "FTFY" rewording of Kag's post into something sexual, but I'm not going to keep overlooking you breaking the rules. If you've got a problem with those rules, take it up with me, don't post passive-aggressive sarcasm in the forums.

--
Bruce"​
"

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, good. Oh! Wait! Wait wait wait!

Let me go get popcorn first.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm out.

I tried to be an adult about this. People didn't like me saying stuff publically, so I took to it PM. That PM then was published, and people were upset about me handling it that way.

Let me know when you guys decide to make sense.

Tress

Tress

I'm out.

I tried to be an adult about this. People didn't like me saying stuff publically, so I took to it PM. That PM then was published, and people were upset about me handling it that way.

The way you've been acting, I think you leaving would be a good thing for a little while. Come back when you learn not to take everything so seriously.

Adam

Adam

I'm out.

Being an adult means understanding the difference between "having fun" and sending me a message entitled "Don't push me" saying "I'm not going to keep overlooking you breaking the rules." The rule of quoting you?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Being an adult means understanding the difference between "having fun" and sending me a message entitled "Don't push me" saying "I'm not going to keep overlooking you breaking the rules." The rule of quoting you?
From the thread Cosplay Subforum Rules
"Complaining in the cosplay sub-forum about the rules or moderation is banned outside of this thread."

Adam

Adam

You're right. Hence this post and hence why I deleted my posts in the thread you locked.

But which rule was I breaking that required you to tell me I was breaking the rules?

figmentPez

figmentPez

You're right. Hence this post and hence why I deleted my posts in the thread you locked.

But which rule was I breaking that required you to tell me I was breaking the rules?
You were complaining about my moderation when you were "joking" about my compliment to Kags, and you know it.

Gared

Gared

Waaaaaiiit... lemme get this straight, you posted a "reminder" in Kagz' cosplay thread that people needed to stay away from sexualizing the cosplayers; then made a crack yourself and were called out for it, then locked the thread when someone else noted that you were overreacting, and now are "out" until other people "decide to make sense." Well, slap my disagree button and call me Sally, but it seems to me a good look in the mirror might be in order.

Adam

Adam

No, I'm far more clever than that.

makare

Pez, they know, you know they know. Everyone knows everything. Some people care some people don't. The more you try to defend yourself the more glee they get in messing with you. Just walk away mang.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh god! ha ha ha.. he's tagging disagree/really the posts AND replying! That's hilarious. Wait till shego gets here. This will be a riot.

I don't follow the cosplay threads at all, but even a brief glance combined with previous knowledge of the players on the stage leads me to believe it's not "how things are handled" that is the issue, but exactly what is deemed of "needing to be handled." Adam told a joke that hit a LITTLE too close to home for you, so you LOCKED Kag's thread. I guess if they don't respect your authoritah there will be NO FUN TO BE HAD! NOW GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY MOM'S BASEMENT!

Tress

Tress

Pez, they know, you know they know. Everyone knows everything. Some people care some people don't. The more you try to defend yourself the more glee they get in messing with you. Just walk away mang.
No, see, this is different. This is about a mod breaking his own rules, someone making a joke about it, and that mod then deleting posts left and right and stirring up drama. It's not fair to make this into some sort of bullying situation when Pez is the one instigating it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

then made a crack yourself and were called out for it
My comment was not sexual. I commented Kags on having nice legs, I didn't say anything about sex. I realize this may be a difficult concept for many to grasp, but there is a difference between saying "You have nice legs" and "I'd like to be between your legs".

Null

Null

You were complaining about my moderation when you were "joking" about my compliment to Kags, and you know it.
See, now, I took it as actual joking. And as hair-trigger as you are about other people's comments... if Jay had said what you did, you'd have warned or modded him, which I can say, because you did in that very thread. Adam was just calling you on it. You need to take a step back, man.

Tress

Tress

"It's different when I do it! The rules are for other people!"

Hit that dislike button. Go ahead. It'll really teach me a lesson.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There is no other way to construe a comment about a woman's "nice legs" than sexual. You got hoisted by your own petard.

And here's the kicker: Neither your comment, nor half the stuff you white knight against, is actually big scary horrible fuss-inducing stuff.

And let me save you a click: Yes, really. Really.

makare

there is a difference between saying "You have nice legs" and "I'd like to be between your legs".
That is exactly right.

figmentPez

figmentPez

There is no other way to construe a comment about a woman's "nice legs" than sexual. You got hoisted by your own petard.
BULLSHIT.

GasBandit

GasBandit

BULLSHIT.
I guarantee you you go into any bar and find a woman on a guy's arms and smile at her and say "nice legs" he will probably hit you.

makare

What exactly does that prove?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

everything about the cosplay forum on here rules

Tress

Tress

That the vast majority of people will interpret a comment about a woman's legs as sexual?

figmentPez

figmentPez

I guarantee you you go into any bar and find a woman on a guy's arms and smile at her and say "nice legs" he will probably hit you.
Say it to a cosplayer and they'll thank you, and most likely think you're paying them a compliment on their figure, not making a sexual advance. Context!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Look out, it's the thread lawyer.

Adam

Adam

GasBandit has nice legs? You'll find girls on the arm of Shegokigo in the bar?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Say it to a cosplayer and they'll thank you, and most likely think you're paying them a compliment on their figure, not making a sexual advance. Context!
Fig. Buddy. Pal. Your comment was innocuous. That's not the joke. The joke is that so is all the other stuff you have deemed VERBOTEN IM DER COSPLAY THREADINIEREN! Did anybody think you were stepping out of line? No. They were making Colonel Klink look silly by using the letter of the law against him while ignoring the spirit.

Tress

Tress

Fig. Buddy. Pal. Your comment was innocuous. That's not the joke. The joke is that so is all the other stuff you have deemed VERBOTEN IM DER COSPLAY THREADINIEREN! Did anybody think you were stepping out of line? No. They were making Colonel Klink look silly by using the letter of the law against him.
Oh my god. This. GB summed it up perfectly. This isn't about how cosplayers should never be complimented because it might be sexual, this is about the fact that you all but outlawed any comments about a woman's physical appearance for fear it would be creepy, then made comments yourself. Even though they can be harmless or nice. And you don't seem capable of understanding any of it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Fig. Buddy. Pal. Your comment was innocuous. That's not the joke. The joke is that so is all the other stuff you have deemed VERBOTEN IM DER COSPLAY THREADINIEREN! Did anybody think you were stepping out of line? No. They were making Colonel Klink look silly by using the letter of the law against him.
Which is exactly what I cited Adam for doing. Passive-aggressively mocking the rules I'm trying to establish, and as long as they're made a joke, it's impossible to begin to apply them fairly. I tried to deal with that via PM, but he decided to go public with that, and continue to exacerbate the problem.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

makare, on fig's side of a conversation.... *snap* It all makes sense now.

I finally know who makare reminds me of. Sarah Palin: Always on the side of wrong, no clue that she is, or maybe she does know but truly believes in it anyway.

Also, yeah, "Nice legs" would have gotten a warning at anyonelse if it had been posted by anyone but Fig.

Also, the hilarity of Fig's "Really Really" and "Dislike" without replies has gone from hilarious to sad after so many closed threads. HOWEVER, he is making more of an effort in this thread to actually reply afterwards, so he's a bit justified this time. However wrong his opinion may be.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oh my god. This. GB summed it up perfectly. This isn't about how cosplayers should never be complimented because it might be sexual, this is about the fact that you all but outlawed any comments about a woman's physical appearance for fear it would be creepy, then made comments yourself. And you don't seem capable of understanding any of it.
I didn't outlaw any comments on physical appearance. That's a blatant misrepresentation.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Which is exactly what I cited Adam for doing. Passive-aggressively mocking the rules I'm trying to establish, and as long as they're made a joke, it's impossible to begin to apply them fairly. I tried to deal with that via PM, but he decided to go public with that, and continue to exacerbate the problem.
That you felt the need to cite him for it at all illustrates why everybody thinks you're such a cartoon. And then locking the thread put the cherry on the sundae.

A normal person would have said "haw haw good one guys you got me" and moved on.

If your rules can't take a little mocking, maybe they need re-examination.

Tress

Tress

I didn't outlaw any comments on physical appearance. That's a blatant misrepresentation.
Ah, splitting hairs. The last, desperate defense of the defeated.

Null

Null

I think you can compliment someone's appearance without it being vulgar in intention, or degrading, or insulting. And I think that's what the rules were designed to avoid. I think both sides aren't in the right here. I think Pez over-reacted over a mild tease. I think Adam shouldn't have posted a PM. I missed what all got deleted but what I do know is that while Pez may not have been justified in locking that thread, and I don't necessarily agree with him on this, I think this discussion-turned-public-beatdown is uncalled for as well.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

His reptuation cannot be "tarnished" though GasBandit , that's why he gets all bent out of shape instead of taking it in stride.

Adam

Adam

I think you can compliment someone's appearance without it being vulgar in intention, or degrading, or insulting. And I think that's what the rules were designed to avoid. I think both sides aren't in the right here. I think Pez over-reacted over a mild tease. I think Adam shouldn't have posted a PM. I missed what all got deleted but what I do know is that while Pez may not have been justified in locking that thread, and I don't necessarily agree with him on this, I think this discussion-turned-public-beatdown is uncalled for as well.
I deleted the PM from the thread. I believe that's all that was deleted before the lock.

figmentPez

figmentPez

His reptuation cannot be "tarnished" though GasBandit , that's why he gets all bent out of shape instead of taking it in stride.
My reputaiton is in the gutter here anyway. I'm more concerned with being able to set a standard for what is acceptable and uncacceptable when it comes to commenting on cosplay, and as long as it keeps getting mocked, and the line pushed further and further, it's not going to be possible to make any sort fair rules at all.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My reputaiton is in the gutter here anyway. I'm more concerned with being able to set a standard for what is acceptable and uncacceptable when it comes to commenting on cosplay, and as long as it keeps getting mocked, and the line pushed further and further, it's not going to be possible to make any sort fair rules at all.
Did it never occur to you that if the rules were reasonable, or at least enforced in a reasonable manner, maybe they wouldn't be constantly mocked?

You know, during the depression, it was illegal to sell food without a permit... but the cops looked the other way at all the apple carts the unemployed set up to try to feed their family.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I deleted the PM from the thread. I believe that's all that was deleted before the lock.
I didn't delete any posts in that thread today. Any posts that were deleted were taken down by person who originally made them.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Did it never occur to you that if the rules were reasonable, maybe they wouldn't be constantly mocked?
Nope, because the rules that were being mocked weren't what I actually said were rules. They were gross-distortions of what had actually been laid-out. No one bothered to ask for clarification on what is actually expected, they just started raging against their preconceptions of what the rules were going to be.

Tress

Tress

EDIT: Never mind, you don't care what anyone else says anyway.

figmentPez

figmentPez

EDIT: Never mind, you don't care what anyone else says anyway.
When you make psychic predictions of how you expect me to act in the future, and then base your current reaction on how you think I'm going to act, then no I don't care what you say. This isn't the future-crime division.

Null

Null

Pez, I think you're a good guy who's heart is in the right place here. But honestly, you need to walk away from this one. Okay? Any attempts at justifying or defending what happened just make you look worse at this point, and this plain and simple isn't worth the fight over it. You made a little mistake, that's fine, it happens, but by making it a matter of principle and insisting that you're in the right is hurting you.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dear god, I hope that's not another "Who are we and what do we want to be" thread I smell developing on the horizon.

Gusto

Gusto

Dear god, I hope that's not another "Who are we and what do we want to be" thread I smell developing on the horizon.
Ain't broke, don't fix, thread locked.

...is how I see that one ending.

Be mindful I'm keeping as close an eye on this as I can while at work.

Bowielee

Bowielee

In my honest opinion, Pez was given the subforum to run how he sees fit.

Don't like it, really, don't go there. We have plenty of other subforums.

GasBandit

GasBandit

thread locked.

...is how I see that one ending.
That's how so very many of the best (and worst) threads end.

GasBandit

GasBandit

In my honest opinion, Pez was given the subforum to run how he sees fit.

Don't like it, really, don't go there. We have plenty of other subforums.
How many of them are pop culture excuse to dress provocatively cosplay subforums? And who gets to be in charge of those?

The logic that led to Pez being "in charge" of the cosplay subforum, if applied universally, would have put me in charge of the political subforum years ago. But hey, there are plenty of other subforums if people don't like it, so hell, why not?

Gared

Gared

How many of them are pop culture excuse to dress provocatively cosplay subforums? And who gets to be in charge of those?

The logic that led to Pez being "in charge" of the cosplay subforum, if applied universally, would have put me in charge of the political subforum years ago. But hey, there are plenty of other forums if people don't like it, so hell, why not?
FTFY

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ah, so it's you guys being butthurt about him being admin of his own subforum?

got it.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It won't end up that way.

I've stepped away from that battle.

Adam

Adam

It won't end up that way.

I've stepped away from that battle.
I'm just stepping away from the forum. While I appreciate Dave, and have been a big supporter, I'm sure somewhere on the internet animated gifs are a big hit! I have my niche, I will find it elsewhere! Sans the ludicrosity that is internal fiefdoms.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Oh cmon, not you too.

Bowielee

Bowielee

:tina:

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

does "the forum" = all of halforums, or just the cosplay one

this is important

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ah, so it's you guys being butthurt about him being admin of his own subforum?

got it.
If you got that I wanted to be mod of the political forum from what I posted, you went the exact opposite way of the actual meaning.

Bowielee

Bowielee

They why do you care so much? That's what I don't get.

GasBandit

GasBandit

They why do you care so much? That's what I don't get.
Because people are arguing about it. And have been arguing about it. With rising vehemence. And it spills over into every thread and every topic. To the point where even I, who until today had not opened a cosplay subforum thread for how many weeks I can't even begin to guess, can see what the real problem is.

That subforums exist at all.

Null

Null

Wow, I wouldn't have begged that as the problem, even remotely.

PatrThom

PatrThom

At the risk of having the thread locked before I can finish my piece...

FPez, you have a hard job, made harder by setting your standards so high. Everyone has a moment where their manager is caught eating in their office, or the policeman double-parks, or the President accidentally says "fuck" into an open mic. It's an embarrassment, certainly. But even though the authority figure slips up, nobody thinks that voids the rule.

Each one could be totally legit, too. The manager might be diabetic. The policeman might be investigating something. And it's not the President's fault the mic was open. In your case, your comment was hardly "red" at all. At most, it was eggshell pink. But because it contained some detectable amount of red, people ribbed you about it. Some of your actions lately have upset your peers (regardless of whether legit or not) and so these people were right there to point it out and probably happy (or ecstatic) to do so.

Now here's what should've happened. You would've blushed, caught staring too long at the cookie jar. It doesn't matter whether you were staring because you were thinking of the delicious cookies within or because you were awestruck by the way the potter managed to layer the glaze to faithfully recreate the iridescence of a butterfly's wings. You were seen staring, and so you earned some peer ribbing. At this point, you're supposed to blush, realize (and admit!) that nobody's perfect, had a laugh with everyone, and then gone back to the job of Mod with eyes opened to the possibility that it might be OK for folks to push up against the rule-barrier, so long as everyone knows that it's not OK to break through that barrier. Doing this would have served to garner respect from your peers AND it would have served to show exactly where that barrier is and how "stretchy" it is.

Instead it looks (to many) like you went into Dictator Denial Mode, trying to cover it up and pretend it didn't happen, and since this board is ultimately a (loose) democracy, you were promptly met with quite a bit of resistance. It happens. Unbelievably, it's still salvageable. All it will take is for everyone involved...everyone*...to behave like the adult Humans they are. No workplace, no community, no city, no spacecraft crew, nor vacation caravan is made up of people who 100% love each other all the time. People do stuff other people don't like all the time. So long as they don't make a habit of it, they shouldn't be punished endlessly for it, either. Hey, everyone? Get over it. If that means getting over yourself first, then so be it.

--Patrick
*This includes you, Dear Reader.

EDIT: FWIW, I have an incredibly thick skin, the patience of Job, and no plans to leave any time soon. I'm more than willing to keep coming back and post sensible discussions until you snap and pray for ragequit.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wow, I wouldn't have begged that as the problem, even remotely.
It's the underlying problem in several things, this among them. Sure, the guy they happened to put in charge of it turned out to be a swastika-spangled white knight, but who'd be better? Would anyone be better?

...Would no-one be better? Or rather, the same ones as everything else?

Why even have a subforum where 93% of the content (and 99% of the view count) is contained within a single thread (and there are only 5 threads in total)? Is cosplay so subversive or detrimental to the forum at large it has to be kept out of general? Or is it just to give one user a fiefdom over a popular topic simply by virtue of his being the most interested in that topic so that the other "real" mods don't have to deal with it? What purpose does putting political threads in their own subforum serve? Is it because they're commonly so much more rancorous than other threads? If that's the case, why isn't there a special political forum mod to ease the burden? Does any of that justify that the actual pragmatic effect of sequestering off a political subforum is that threads there can either have the same 8 posters going around ad nauseum, or just languish and die? Why couldn't all these things just be in general? People who wish there was an "ignore thread" button are routinely and patronizingly told to simply not click threads they don't want to read, yet that solution isn't good enough here. The artist's corner languishes similarly. Maybe more people would see the art if it wasn't hidden behind an extra layer of unnecessary obfuscation?

Everybody's dog piling on Pez (including me, I know), but how'd he get where he was? Somebody walled off a piece of the forum and put different rules on it. What Adam does in one part of the forum is suddenly sedition in another part, purely on whimsy of the commisar who happens to be there. If I WAS actively interested in cosplay, I have a feeling this little explosion would have happened a long time ago, rather than now... because I don't stop being GasBandit from thread to thread, and apparently that place is a rat's nest of mod-powered tripwires.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Honestly, do you know why Pez got his own forum? Because the Cosplay thread is what pulls in a large chunk of what little new business we have around here. Quite frankly, I don't see his rules as being out of line for making newbies feels safe coming here. THEN they can dip their toes in these shark infested waters and find out if it's their cup of tea.

Really, people going in and being douches simply because they don't like the fact that he got the subforum is quite frankly childish as all hell.

Do I fully agree with his decisions? No, but you know what? It's not my call to make, it's his.

Null

Null

I think calling Pez a nazi is uncalled for, Gas, and honestly I'd think that was beneath you.

Why did he get put in charge of just that subforum? Because he was posting the vast majority of the cosplay at the time. It seemed like a subject he was passionate about, and if you're going to have someone overseeing something, shouldn't it be something that they care about? Why make it into a subforum? Because it's a specific genre with limited audience - people who like cosplay, convention attendees, etc. Much like Sports are for, well, people who like sports.

What happened in that thread was a bit of a meltdown, but I don't think that subforums are to blame for it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Instead it looks (to many) like you went into Dictator Denial Mode,
Take a look at my new post "the future of the cosplay subforum". I had the majority of that post written for months. I was trying to wait to post it until I had a queue of posts to make so that I could ensure that, for at least a little while, there would be regular updates.

You'll note that I specifically state that "You have nice legs" is an acceptable comment. That's been the standard I've been planning to make for a long time, but no one bothered to ask. They just made their twisted little assumptions, and poked me until I decided I was sick of the bruises.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

This to me is what your argument sounds like.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The artist's corner languishes similarly. Maybe more people would see the art if it wasn't hidden behind an extra layer of unnecessary obfuscation?
Nah, it'd just get pushed to the second page of the forums (or third or fourth) as soon as any artist stopped updating their thread. That'd make the art even harder to find, be less clear that we want to specifically want to encourage artists to post. A general art thread would appear more active than a sub-forum, but it would be harder to showcase an individual's work.

figmentPez

figmentPez

This to me is what your argument sounds like.
Not my fault you haven't read the rules. I said something that I specifically said is acceptable for all, and haven't said that anyone else was wrong for saying that.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Take a look at my new post "the future of the cosplay subforum".
Done. My thoughts:

I think making a separate category for DC/Marvel is going to overlap with Comic/Animation/Movies/TV/Toys/Etc so much that I wonder if a separate DC/M thread is worthwhile. Otherwise I applaud the categories (especially that last one). Keep in mind that you should go into this with the mindset that the rules will need to be tweaked as time goes on (even the Constitution has Amendments) and as things change. Also remember that some cosplayers are attention-whores, and so there might come a time when you have to come down against a cosplayer or two when they're the ones who go too far.

I suppose, figmentPez, that if it comes to that, you would need to establish a separate Red Light Cosplay thread in the Hive, and let all the folks who want to be there, go there.

--Patrick

Jay

Jay

Why did this have to happen to such a great thread? FFS, now I'm annoyed.

I could say much of what I personally think of Fig and his draconian rules and I can most certainly post a copy of the most disrespectful PMs Fiz sent me when I tried to discuss issues civilly with him in the past. Maybe I should copy and paste it and let people comment on it while we're discussing this matter. Get it all out in the open, eh?

But the fact of the matter is that I'm just severely disappointed that Kags thread was closed because someone couldn't accept the fact he was mockingly called out for crossing his own rules when I was quickly chastised for making a comment about the video game character the same cosplayer was planning to take. I never mentioned anything sexual about the cosplayer directly. I don't understand how "You've got some nice stems there Ivy" is less of an issue than "When it comes to Bayonetta, the guns isn't anywhere close to what comes to min". Or maybe I'm just a retard and should fuck off, right Fiz?

So, what about Kag's thread? Can it be moved elsewhere, perhaps to General or Multimedia? Or did this drama llama bullshit made her lose interest? I don't think this is fair to her at all and I cannot believe the Staff of these forums can allow this to happen. It was one my favorite threads and it got locked by someone who clearly can't handle their forum responsibilities.

And no locks in this thread please because if this is going to get locked, I swear to you it'll only get worse. I promise it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Honestly, do you know why Pez got his own forum? Because the Cosplay thread is what pulls in a large chunk of what little new business we have around here. Quite frankly, I don't see his rules as being out of line for making newbies feels safe coming here. THEN they can dip their toes in these shark infested waters and find out if it's their cup of tea.

Really, people going in and being douches simply because they don't like the fact that he got the subforum is quite frankly childish as all hell.

Do I fully agree with his decisions? No, but you know what? It's not my call to make, it's his.
I think calling Pez a nazi is uncalled for, Gas, and honestly I'd think that was beneath you.

Why did he get put in charge of just that subforum? Because he was posting the vast majority of the cosplay at the time. It seemed like a subject he was passionate about, and if you're going to have someone overseeing something, shouldn't it be something that they care about? Why make it into a subforum? Because it's a specific genre with limited audience - people who like cosplay, convention attendees, etc. Much like Sports are for, well, people who like sports.

What happened in that thread was a bit of a meltdown, but I don't think that subforums are to blame for it.
As I said, his being the main cosplay man at the time being the rationale for making him mod of all cosplay is no better an idea than making 2009's GasBandit lord of all political threads (given that at the time, 90% of all political content was in Gas Bandit's Political Thread).

You can fault me for the nazi references if you want. Granted, he's not exterminating minorities - what he did was lock somebody else's thread because a joke at his expense was contained within it. And he is completely unrepentant. Seems absolutely incapable of admitting what he did was ridiculous - the sort of thing people talk about when they make fun of power tripping mods on the internet. THIS is what encourages newbies to feel safe to expand their presence on the forum? A demonstration that a good natured ribbing of a mod will result in him burning a thread to the ground?

Bowiee seems to think I'm jealous of Pez. I'm not. I know what it's like to be in charge of something around here. I managed to find myself de facto administrator of the forum's minecraft server during its heyday, since nobody else had the time or inclination to maintain it. There was a time Jay nearly, literally, broke the server. I swore. I fumed. I cursed his name. I did not lock him out. Other users vandalized my stuff. I responded in kind - instead of locking them out. But you know what? If I had, I bet somebody would have griped about it in the forum, and people would have come down on me in this exact manner.

You both also seem to be laboring under the false impression that sequestering content in a subforum helps it - it does not.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Done. My thoughts:

I think making a separate category for DC/Marvel is going to overlap with Comic/Animation/Movies/TV/Toys/Etc so much that I wonder if a separate DC/M thread is worthwhile.
That's based on the sheer number of people in DC/Marvel costumes. Right now for unposted cosplay (excepting what just went up) in their respective folders I have:
DC: 260
Marvel: 192
Comics & Animation: 268

Compare that to all of live action TV & Movies (with books thrown in too) at 126, and I think it's pretty fair to give DC and Marvel each their own thread, I just don't know where to post pics that feature both.

Keep in mind that you should go into this with the mindset that the rules will need to be tweaked as time goes on (even the Constitution has Amendments) and as things change.
I hope that if people think the rules need to change that they'll try discussing the rules first, and turn to civil disobedience as a last resort. Instead of the other way around.

Also remember that some cosplayers are attention-whores, and so there might come a time when you have to come down against a cosplayer or two when they're the ones who go too far.
A good point, if a cosplayer does start to do that, I hope someone will tell me.

figmentPez

figmentPez

what he did was lock somebody else's thread because a joke at his expense was contained within it.
I locked the thread because there was continued off-topic discussion of the rules, which was bothering Kags and ruining her thread. It will be reopened later.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I didn't bother reading it, but did LittleKagsin really say that some offhanded, not "truly meant" comments bothered her?`

PatrThom

PatrThom

I understand the volume of DC/M submissions, I just think that they will be easier to sort and peruse (and discuss) if they are segregated by where they appear (Movie/TV/Comic) as opposed to their particular line (think of the differences between Movie X-Men v. Comic X-Men, or OVA v. TV). It's just an axis thing, really. I think they will be easier to sort in columns, you are thinking in rows.

--Patrick

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I didn't bother reading it, but did LittleKagsin really say that some offhanded, not "truly meant" comments bothered her?`
I was wondering this, but was far too busy overcooking my top ramen to ask it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

She was bothered by the arguing over the rules, and said as much. "Guys. Not in my thread." When it was clear people weren't going to stop, even if I did, I locked the thread.

Kags didn't like my locking the thread, and she chewed me out for it (well, in her own way, but it was harsh as far as Kags rebukes go.)

EDIT: Also, for fairness, I can't allow sexual comments to slide by just because they don't offend a particular cosplayer. Many cosplayers are hesitant to speak up about stuff like that, and I don't want to have to put each and every girl on the spot and maker her (or him) be the "bad guy" who ruined everyone else's "fun".

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I don't think it goes without saying, that anything that's said to you Fig, you don't bring on yourself first.

That's upsetting because you've done the forum more good than anyone aside from Ame or Dave themselves.

If Adam really left over this though, consider me double upset.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm locking this thread. I hope some of our elements dont ascribe this to overzealous moderation. Rest asssured this issue is being discussed with the mods and administrators, or will be when I'm off my shift. Thanks for making it an interesting one.

Dave

Dave

Okay, I'm here and reading. I assume Gusto locked this because he could not be here, so I'm opening it again for discussion. I have a few things to say on the matter so be patient.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Sigh.

Any cute animal gif requests?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Sigh.

Any cute animal gif requests?
Ferrets. For Emrys and myself.

BananaHands

BananaHands

BananaHands

BananaHands

Guys. Look at this gif.

The peanut butter is simply rolling back and forth, yet the ferret takes offense. The ferret begins lashing out and suffers because of it.

I think we all could learn a lot from this gif.

Emrys

Emrys

<hugs for BananaHands>

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

That's making me miss my ferrets. Le'sigh.

Frank

Frank

That is the fattest ferret I've ever seen.

Dave

Dave

First, sorry I missed all the brouhaha. I was at my daughter's LAST EVER music concert so I have been gone. A couple of points have been made and they are actually valid ones and I'll be going over each one with a fine-toothed comb.

1. Pez is being too heavy-handed with moderation in the cosplay section.
  2. Pez made a statement that could have been construed as sexual in nature while deriding others for doing the same, thus breaking his own moderation rules.
  3. GasBandit wonders why I haven't given him moderation abilities in the Politics subforum.
I'll start with these, but it's by no means a complete list of stuff.
  1. In the past with the cosplay threads, various people have been shown. Yes, several of the pictures have been of fairly lovely young ladies. This is due mostly to the growing trend of models working shows for vendors. In a lot of the cases the models are aware that they are being sexualized and don't care because that's precisely why they are doing it. Still, a great number of the photos were of people who cosplay for the love of it. They do it because of the art and not because they want to get ogled. We had several complaints and requests to take down pictures for this very reason. It's precisely because of that that we put the cosplay into a different sub and are using more strict moderation. With those we know and can interact with like Kags I don't think it's as big a deal, but we're trying to foster a place of acceptance and not one of uncomfortableness. If that's even a word. Which brings me to...
  2. Did Pez make a statement that broke his own rules? Personally, I don't think so. But I do agree that had anyone else made the comment he would not have looked so kind upon it. This is due mainly to an attribution issue. He's being hyper sensitive due to the past experiences while at the same time knowing that he didn't mean what he said in a perverted manner. So while I believe that he wasn't breaking his own rules, I do believe that he's not giving others the proper benefit of the doubt. Of course, it doesn't help that there are those whose natural reaction to moderation is to try and ratchet up the situation. You know who you are.
  3. Gas, the reason - the ONLY reason - I didn't make you mod of the politics sub is because politics needs to have every voice heard. Unlike the cosplay sub, politics needs to be a bit more unruly for true debate. Oddly enough, it's one of the least moderated and I find it's often the least IN NEED of moderation for that very reason.
Okay, so what does all this mean? First, that the moderation of the cosplay forum itself will stay as is and I'll be backing Pez. Do I think he's 100% right? Nope. But I think the cosplayers I've talked to respect him and that goes a long way in my book. However, the recent issue with the Kags thread means that we have to look at specific threads (meaning specific to a single cosplayer) differently than we do more generalized threads. Example, Kags said she was fine with a little playing around. This should be a signal to Pez that he could back off a bit. Meanwhile in a general thread with a truckload of pictures from people who do not frequent the boards, we should keep a closer eye on the content generated by our users.

The cosplay thread is Pez's to do with as he pleases. I hope he learns to moderate when needed and to back of when needed, but that's a learning process. I tend to go too far in the other direction sometimes (and I can hear makare screaming, "SOMETIMES?!?") but that's neither here nor there.

What I won't put up with will be endless bitching about it. You don't like it? Start a cosplay thread in general. Want to perv on some models who cosplay? Join the NSFW user group and post a thread there.

And if I see another PM posted on the boards the person doing so will get an auto 24 hour ban. The only exception to this would be if the person says one thing in PM and publishes something live on the boards that is radically different and slanderous. And even though it's a pain in the ass I can read the PMs to verify. (I have to go directly into the SQL to do it so it's not something I ever do. As I said, it's a pain in the ass.)

So everyone calm down, realize what it is we are arguing about and let's work together to make the cosplay section work for everyone.

Oh, one last thing. There's not going to be a bitching sub. If you want to report and send me a PM that's fine. But no bitching thread/sub, please.

Dave

Dave

Oh, and a couple of warnings were given out for various reasons. I'm not going into them, but you know who you are that got them and why. But just because we don't advertise doesn't mean they didn't happen.

BananaHands

BananaHands

So are we all hugging yet?

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

For the record, I'm not sure Gas was asking or complaining about mod priv's for himself, but simply using his relationship, with his own politics thread and the political subforum, as an example for Pez's relationship with cosplay threads before it got it's own subforum.

I think.

I dunno, what the hell do I know. I'm gonna go draw some dicks

Tress

Tress

I dunno, what the hell do I know. I'm gonna go draw some dicks.

Gared

Gared

Here is my only concern about the heavy-handedness and the general fragility with which the entire cosplay subforum readership is being handled.

Right now I'm not feeling very motivated to work on posting cosplay. If you want to see me post what I've found, then play nice. Treat me like crap and you get nothing. No, I don't care if I'm coming across as spoiled, it's a lot of work to search through this many photos and I'm doing it for my enjoyment. If you guys ruin the fun of sharing, then I have no reason to keep posting.
...the growing number of photos I'm using from DevianArt isn't helping things stay consistent.
Meanwhile in a general thread with a truckload of pictures from people who do not frequent the boards, we should keep a closer eye on the content generated by our users.
How many of these people we're so concerned about are never, ever going to come to these forums, because they're just photos of people that have been yanked off of various and sundry DeviantArt pages, with or without the DA user's knowledge or consent?

Jay

Jay

No offense Dave but I still have concerns that require to be addressed.

Firstly, the status of Kag's thread.

It got locked. The decision to lock it was upon the whim of one person's judgement which is clearly viewed by many to be not sound of mind. There was a brief, casual mention that this same person will re-open the thread upon his own leisure. For what, a few posts deemed unworthy by this same person? Thus the reason why this thread was created. The situation. However, this situation will not change because from what I understood, the staff of this forum will wipe their hands of this matter because the cosplay section brings "something" to the website. Okay.... so, when the thread gets re-opened, how exactly are people going to be interested interacting with the cosplayer in question? Will every word they type be meticulously judged? Every smiley scanned for perversion levels? Where are the background security forms we need to fill out? Will the same rules apply to everyone? Or will people be allowed to post with the benefit of the doubt or are we going to pretend that this fascism is normal? (i think in her case, she should post her thread elsewhere in the forum)

Secondly, the demeanor of the mod in question.

Emotions can run high, we all understand that. People have good days, people have bad days. I have it. You have it. We all have it. However mods should be above the norm and be able to discuss matters in a civil way with other members of the forum, especially when they take the time to attempt to discuss the matter civilly by PMs. Mods shouldn't be openly insulting other posters. I think we both understand that, don't we? Furthermore, when posters try to discuss matters privately with the mod in question, they shouldn't be told to go fuck themselves. I understand that sometimes people cannot play nice with each other, that's a fact of life but when you're a mod, you should be above that. It's highly inappropriate. Furthermore, his judgement is biased and that in itself is a detriment to the function of a forum moderator. There's no way, no how, how my comment gets a warning while his is perfectly fine. (in fact both are fine IMHO as well as the cosplayer)

Let's be honest, the only reason he started moderating that thread yesterday was because he was called out on his hypocrisy and the post that called him out went viral with the other forum posters. Boom, "locked".

Prove me otherwise.

And the way I understood your post was, "Yep, the shit hit the fan. That's unfortunate. I'm neutral about it because, hey, his sub-forum.... his rules, sorry to hear what happened. I don't particularly agree myself but whelp, everyone calm down. Let's play nice. Warnings distributed silently."

Yeah but no. This doesn't solve anything.

Kindly note, this was posted civilly and I've been caressing my fat tabby to keep me calm while posting this.

I feel like Dr. Claw.

makare

Yeah I find Pez's hands on modding style a little refreshing. But I don't go into the cosplay thread much so I don't have too much to say about it.

Ok I have loads to say about it but it has been said many times to the same people and frankly it wouldn't help to say it again.

So.. look a picture of Bea Arthur

Bea just loves a big ferret.

figmentPez

figmentPez

How many of these people we're so concerned about are never, ever going to come to these forums, because they're just photos of people that have been yanked off of various and sundry DeviantArt pages, with or without the DA user's knowledge or consent?
I don't know. We've had a least a half-dozen people in my memory that have found themselves posted in the cosplay threads, and that's just those that spoke up and said hello. There are a lot of hits, and some of those come from cosplayers. Ones I'd like to feel welcome.

Yes, I hotlink photos off of Flickr and DeviantArt, and the provide links for attribution. Most don't find a problem with that, and are pleased to see their work getting credit around the internet. In the one case I know of where someone complained, we won't be using photos from him again (though why he had his Flickr account set to allow reblogging if he didn't want his work shared, I don't know).

Vrii

Vrii

I'm going to piggyback off Jay here a bit, but I want to preface this. I don't post in the Cosplay section, I haven't had any conflict with Pez, and I've pretty much watched this whole drama explosion from the sidelines. There are people being dicks on both sides (and it wouldn't be Halforums if there weren't, let's be honest), but a lot of the points in Jay's post match what I'm seeing and feeling from this.

Basically, I know that Pez's work has drawn a lot of views, a handful of regular posters, and he deserves a lot of credit/praise/hugs/what-have-you for that. He's brought, and continues to bring a lot to the community here. That shouldn't go unsaid. At the same time, I completely agree with Jay and Gas in that I don't feel that he's done anything to warrant being a mod over his own section, particularly when the approach seems to be to push for all cosplay-related content to be in that section.

The biggest thing here is the way he's conducted himself throughout all of this drama-stuff. Jay says that a mod should be held to a higher standard than a regular poster; up to this point, they have. That's the reason Juski isn't a mod anymore, isn't it? But over the past week Pez has been going thread to thread spamming "Disagree" and/or "Really? Really?" over everything he doesn't agree with, and insisting that unless the people he's flagging have specifically asked him which line, implication, or word choice he's cherrypicking out of their post, any response they make is based on their own bias and he's completely blameless for their reactions. It's gotten to the point where fishing for his tags is a new forum meme, and somehow it seems to have been spun into him being the victim of bullying and trolling. I don't get it.

Following from that, his rules/future of this section post in the cosplay subforum is legitimately baffling. There's a point dedicated to "if you guys aren't nice to me, I'm going to stop posting stuff for you" or, as it was put on the playground when we were 5 years old, "I'm taking my ball and going home". Is that seriously the behaviour expected from someone who's modding his own section? I can accept that there need to be rules, I can accept sending PMs to people to tell them when they're crossing a line, but that's just childish. And combined with the fact that he locked someone else's thread because he didn't like being called out on what appeared to be a hypocritical comment, and his defense was "no, that's the line I was intending to draw on these comments all along, I just hadn't gotten around to telling you all before I said it..." I'm honestly just waiting for the content in his subforum to mysteriously disappear when he decides someone's been too mean to him.

Finally, if Jay's representation of PM conversations between the two of them is accurate, I don't even know how to respond. He may not have called anyone a cancer, but responding to someone wanting to discuss his rules by telling them to go fuck themselves is pretty much the definition of inflated-ego internet moderation, isn't it?

I dunno, I'm not about to pack up my shit and leave because of any of this, but I don't think this reflects any better on the community we have than the sniping, aggression and bullying that other people are being accused of.

figmentPez

figmentPez

And combined with the fact that he locked someone else's thread because he didn't like being called out on what appeared to be a hypocritical comment,
I'll repeat this until people understand. LittleKagsin's thread was locked because people were taking it off-topic with whining about the rules, after a PM warning was made public when it shouldn't have been (a warning given after two different rules of the sub-forum had been broken). It wasn't locked because a joke was made at my expense, it was locked because multiple posters were breaking the rules in a very blatant manner with disrespect beyond poking fun at my alleged hypocrisy.

Following from that, his rules/future of this section post in the cosplay subforum is legitimately baffling. There's a point dedicated to "if you guys aren't nice to me, I'm going to stop posting stuff for you" or, as it was put on the playground when we were 5 years old, "I'm taking my ball and going home".
I can't take the "ball" and go home. The forums are going to stay open, and cosplay can still be posted. I'm just not going to bother posting if all I'm going to get in return is harassment. That's a pretty adult reaction. If my efforts aren't appreciated, I won't make those efforts. I'm just being clear in my motivation for this. I don't have any other motive than enjoyment. I don't get paid, I don't get fame, I don't get anything but the satisfaction of knowing I found some neat photos and shared them. If sharing them brings me more grief than joy, then I'd be a fool to keep sharing.

If you guys are going to keep intentionally harassing me, it's not fun, so I won't play. Call me childish if you want, but the normal thing for adults to do is to stop making an effort for people who don't appreciate their work.

Vrii

Vrii

I'll repeat this until people understand. LittleKagsin's thread was locked because people were taking it off-topic with whining about the rules, after a PM warning was made public when it shouldn't have been (a warning given after two different rules of the sub-forum had been broken). It wasn't locked because a joke was made at my expense, it was locked because multiple posters were breaking the rules in a very blatant manner with disrespect beyond poking fun at my alleged hypocrisy.
You can repeat it all you want. It doesn't change the way it looks from the outside, especially with the context of the PM-we-shouldn't-have-seen.

Also, the condescension in your post isn't becoming.

figmentPez

figmentPez

You can repeat it all you want. It doesn't change the way it looks from the outside, especially with the context of the PM-we-shouldn't-have-seen.

Also, the condescension in your post isn't becoming.
Yeah, I am consdescending. I get that way when people willingly make ignorant posts based on information they know is incomplete. Maybe you should ask some questions next time before spouting off conclusions based on half-truths.

Vrii

Vrii

If your goal was to provide evidence of the exact, specific things I mentioned in my first post, mission accomplished. Other than that, just looks like a personal attack against me, and since I have no interest in getting this thread locked/more people warned and banned, I'll just leave it at that.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oh, and since people seem to think I sent some sort of horrific PM to Adam. Here's what I said to him:

Title: Don't push me.
Body: Adam,
I know you're joking, but please don't push me on this issue in the cosplay area.
I politely overlooked your "FTFY" rewording of Kag's post into something sexual, but I'm not going to keep overlooking you breaking the rules. If you've got a problem with those rules, take it up with me, don't post passive-aggressive sarcasm in the forums.
He's the one that deleted his posting of that information.

Also, it's bullshit to complain about my rating posts. If I dont' have to give a reason for a Like or a Funny, then there's absolutely no cause to expect me to give an explanation for every Disagree or Really, Really?. I can rate a post Funny because of a single joke, and I can rate a post Disagree because of a single flaw. The points don't matter people, they aren't going on your permanent record and they don't affect your credit score. Grow a backbone.

Frank

Frank

Nobody thinks that. That PM is still in the opening post.

Null

Null

Okay, Pez, seriously, not helping yourself here.

drifter

drifter

Also, it's bullshit to complain about my rating posts. If I dont' have to give a reason for a Like or a Funny, then there's absolutely no cause to expect me to give an explanation for every Disagree or Really, Really?. I can rate a post Funny because of a single joke, and I can rate a post Disagree because of a single flaw.

Here's the thing; your numerous ratings of Really? Really?! and whatnot do nothing but serve to throw fuel on the fire, to the extent that it helped get, what, three threads locked in a row? I mean, you know it's going to do nothing but cause drama with certain elements, but you do it anyway.

Grow a backbone.
I think my irony meter just broke.

Jay

Jay

If the way he answered to Vrii, an outsider of the situation who posted constructively on the matter, is any indication to Fig's demeanor to others then nothing else needs to be said regarding his moderation and interpersonal skills in that role.

Furthermore, I thought posting PMs was specifically mentioned by Dave to not to be done... I also recall reading a 24 hour ban, unless I'm mistaken...

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit wonders why I haven't given him moderation abilities in the Politics subforum.
/facepalm

NO.

Gasbandit used himself being put in charge of the political subforum as an example of a bad thing. Clearly I've been remiss in my duties if that isn't immediately apparent.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Man, I really like the platform GasBandit is running on. He has my vote.

Dave

Dave

Jay, please reread the FIRST POST in this thread. Pez did not post anything new. But nice try. I know what you're trying to do. Stop it.

As to the rest, the Kags thread should have been handled differently, I totally agree. But the only reason I think this is because Kags herself was in the thread and could Report/complain about content if it bothered her. I also think that Pez is taking it to the next level with the way he handles things. Starting out a PM with the subject "Don't Push Me" is not conducive to an adult conversation, no matter what the contents of the message say. As his response to Vrii? Oi. I thought I'd addressed the issues in the first post I made in this thread, but people are still continuing.

And now there's people following him around doing shit just to provoke him. Chippy had a couple posts removed BY ME and then continued. So he's gone for 24 hours. So what did he do then? Posted as a guest and continued his shit. So now it's a week and I had to suspend Guest posting. Because of one person acting like an asshole.

I've been through that thread a couple times and Adam made the first salvo. Pez then answered using the aforementioned "Don't Push Me", which was a terrible reaction to have. But even though that happened, I still think Pez has the right idea about the cosplay sub. The rules he posted (after the fact) are pretty spot on and are those which I totally agree. That doesn't absolve him from escalating the situation when it didn't need to be, but right now I'm trying to play cleanup and exercise some preventive steps.

First, I'm not talking about the warnings that were given. I only talked about Chippy because it needed to be put out there as to why Guest posting (which has been great and I love it!) has been temporarily suspended. If you think I'm going to go around and publicly shame people you're going to be sorely disappointed. Praise in public, punish in private.

Second, Pez can read and he knows exactly how I feel about the situation. He also knows that I'm not going to make snap decisions in the heat of the moment and that I'm going to have his back if he deserves it. What happened yesterday is not enough to take away his subforum, no matter how much his style differs from how you think it should be run.

Third, I have removed the "Really, REALLY?!?" thing. I left "Disagree" in there but that's considered a neutral rating. I know that's a small thing, but the constant thread stalking by multiple people - including Pez - is frickin' annoying. The biggest issue is that it's spread so far around the boards that it's very, very difficult to tell who did what first to whom. It's like football. I could punish it when I see it but that's usually not the one who deserves it. I don't want to punish someone for forum self defense. :confused:

Fourth, I think Vrii is right that Pez's "Final Thoughts" is not exactly conducive to active participation. I will be addressing this with him directly. Vrii is spot on when it comes across like he's "taking the ball and going home" - sorry, Pez. I realize the boards will stay open so the analogy doesn't quite work out, but it does come across like that.

In the end, everyone calm down, let us talk about stuff (and that means both everyone in this thread as well as the mods in the mod forum) and then we'll figure something out. But we're not going to make a snap decision based on the posts of a few vocal users on either side of the issue.

And GasBandit , I know what you meant. But the politics sub and the cosplay sub are so different your point didn't make sense in context. :p

Jay

Jay

So, I don't have to be annoyed by Chippy's posts for a week? Well I think this is a win/win situation for everyone.

Anyways, I appreciate your level headed approach in this Dave and respectfully agree with the actions taken.

Can you also add a Brofist thingie?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, I really like the platform GasBandit is running on. He has my vote.

Change it to "DO NOT WANT" and I'll sign off on it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I appreciate your level headed approach in this Dave and respectfully agree with the actions taken.
I, too, shall stand down from general quarters.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Change it to "DO NOT WANT" and I'll sign off on it.

Vrii

Vrii

For what it's worth, I wasn't looking to have Pez immediately demoted and section removed or anything of the sort. I can understand his reactions a lot of times, and it would be easy to reach the conclusion that everyone's out to make him look bad, even when that's not the case. Getting defensive about it is probably the most natural reaction to have.

That said, I do think it's worth it for him - and everyone else - to think about what it mean to be a Mod, and what responsibilities that might entail along with the privileges. I think there's been some good, positive criticism sent his way along with the negative stuff, and I'm pretty sure that there's a middle ground between what he's been doing and what everyone else has, where people can discuss things like grownups. Just a matter of if everyone wants to get there instead of launching the personal attacks and claiming the high ground all the time.

Piotyr

Piotyr

So, I don't have to be annoyed by Chippy's posts for a week? Well I think this is a win/win situation for everyone.

Anyways, I appreciate your level headed approach in this Dave and respectfully agree with the actions taken.

Can you also add a Brofist thingie?
Hugs looks a bit like Brofist...

Jay

Jay

I can see how they may be confused. However I feel that hugs are more for sympathetic things (I'm sad today, something bad happened to me) while brofist is more towards supporting another poster. (I'm with you bro, mad respect).

ALL I WANT IS TO BROFIST BANANAHANDS.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I HAVE BEEN CAMPAIGNING FOR BROFIST FOR LIKE FOREVER.

Jay

Jay

I HAVE BEEN CAMPAIGNING FOR BROFIST FOR LIKE FOREVER.
index.jpeg

Dave

Dave

So find me a damned brofist small icon. Use the existing as a template.

Frank

Frank

/brofist Dave

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Smiley:
fistbump.gif

Icon:
Brofist.gif

BananaHands

BananaHands

So find me a damned brofist small icon. Use the existing as a template.
OMG WAIT GIMME SECOND

BananaHands

BananaHands

How small do you need these bad boys?

tegid

tegid

Just save one of the actual like/dislike/hugs/etc icons and use it as a template.

GasBandit

GasBandit

And with the unveiling of my official campaign poster, I reiterate my lack of candidacy for anything. GET OFF MY LAWN.

BananaHands

BananaHands

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think those are all too big. They might need to be as small as the hugs icon itself... Which looks to be about 15x15 pixels.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hm. Doesn't really work for the double.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

wait wait, we have lost sight of the larger issue

did adammon leave all of Halforums because he couldn't sexually harass cosplayers?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Quick and dirty:

makare

Charlie already makes me miss the really really button

BananaHands

BananaHands

Welcome back, Charlie.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Quick and dirty:

Maybe shorten the finger separation lines slightly... as it is, it makes me think "imminent goatse."

GasBandit

GasBandit

brofist.JPG

Dammit, now it just looks like kissing diesel engines.

makare

I think goatse matches up with bro fist pretty well actuallly.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

sorry you can only disagree with me now

makare

no i just have to make the effort of typing out

Really? REALLY!?

BananaHands

BananaHands

What about little red lines to show contact?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Here's my attempt.

brofist.PNG

BananaHands

BananaHands

I love the equality.

Null

Null

Halforums: where everything ends in fisting.

:eek:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

no i just have to make the effort of typing out

Really? REALLY!?
Or that old chestnut...

STFU, Charlie.

BananaHands

BananaHands

drifter

drifter

Halforums: where everything ends in fisting.

:eek:

Dave

Dave

:drunk:

Bowielee

Bowielee

For realsies, though, I hope Adam didn't leave over this. It would be the dumbest reason to leave ever.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I find it amusingly ironic that the brofist icon adopted was created by he who commiserates least with others on the forum.

Gared

Gared

Alright! Now I can terrorist-fist-jab people!

PatrThom

PatrThom

That icon is more "respect knucks" than "bro fist," but I realize they're mostly interchangeable. Approve.

--Patrick

Null

Null

For realsies, though, I hope Adam didn't leave over this. It would be the dumbest reason to leave ever.
Dumb situations beget dumb actions, I suppose.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Adam needs to come back. Combined with the brofist, this will be the best happy ending of any thread conflict ever.

Dave

Dave

I have an eternal membership to Dragon*Con. There's a reason I don't post cosplay pics I've snapped over the years.
Please expand. Is this a condemnation of the way Pez is handling things or the way that people have been reacting to the photos posted?

ElJuski

ElJuski

for the record, holy shit, just read the first few pages of this thread.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Please expand. Is this a condemnation of the way Pez is handling things or the way that people have been reacting to the photos posted?
I just took it to mean that some (many?) of the photos he took would not be suitable for Pez's sub forum.

--Patrick

ElJuski

ElJuski

or that he had a better place to post the pictures. Really, I hate cosplay, so I actually ignored all of the cosplay thread, but I think, again, that this is all an issue of Halforums being much more serious than it has any right being, and that people bring way too much baggage in here for what should be an after-work hangout joint.

And I believe there should be more cute animal gifs in here.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Can we just add that to the banner already?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

ElJuski

ElJuski

said cute not sexy

bhamv3

bhamv3

For the record, Dave, props for your level-headed and mature handling of the situation.

(For people who agree with me, don't "like" or "brofist" this post, go like/brofist Dave's posts)

Bones

Bones

Chippy asked me to send you all his regards, says he cant wait to be back in a week to say his peace. thats is all on my end.

I think I will keep my time in the cosplay sub-forum to a minimum if no one minds, its gotten to hostile for me. oh and I have no problem with the management, its your club, do what you think is best.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I know I've been an ass lately. I know I'm a hothead and it's the reason I've never volunteered to be a moderator on any of the forums I've posted on. I'm not good at separating my feelings from the situation and responding calmly. I hold grudges I shouldn't and I'm not good at apologizing. I've been over-reacting a lot, because I'm having a trouble figuring out where the line is. I deserve some of the flak I've gotten, but I sure as hell don't deserve all of it. I shouldn't respond in the way I have, but no response to some of what has gone on isn't the answer, either. I didn't implement the rules well, but there's nothing about the standard I've laid out for the cosplay subforum that's unreasonable in concept.

So, I'm going to stop doing any moderation for a while, I'm not sure what to do beyond that. I'm sorry if it offends anyone, but right now I have no motivation to work on posting cosplay. It's my own fault that things got so bad, and I made people feel unwelcome there, but I don't know what the hell do do about that. I don't want to go back to “anything goes” and I'm not going to put up with continuing harassment.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Dude, we know that you're going through some rough shit with your health and family. Take care of yourself before you worry about the monkeys at the HF Zoo.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey, man. Take a break, go kill some boars for a while, maybe level up a couple.
Looking forward to seeing where you decide to spend those skill points.

--Patrick
And since I can't rate more than once, just make believe I hit like/disagree/hugs/love/informative/brofist.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I get that it isnt your fault, but it makes me an observer not want to say anything at all for fear its going to be struck down without question.
It is mostly my fault. I started it all by blowing up at Jay when I shouldn't have, and I've continued to over-react just often enough, in the subsequent months, to look like a petty little dictator.

Bones

Bones

whoops, sorry man, I deleted it because I didnt want to incite any more drama.

Like I said, have someone else who is less reactive moderate until you are up to it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It is mostly my fault. I started it all by blowing up at Jay when I shouldn't have, and I've continued to over-react just often enough, in the subsequent months, to look like a petty little dictator.
You can take or leave what I have to say as you choose, but my recommendation would be to mentally appoint a canary or three. Basically, any time your mod-sense tingles at somebody's post, run it by a couple other people in PM and say "does this seem over the line to you?" If more than half agree, I'd say give it both barrels. Otherwise, probably best to let it slide.

SeraRelm

Man, you guys get so tense.

As someone who loves seeing everyone here speak their mind, from the nice to the nasty, I gotta say how glad I am a relatively amicable solution was discovered. On the other hand, it's kind of annoying it took 4-5 pages.

Only 0.02 I have is this, don't be quick to take offense. I'm not saying toughen up, I'm saying don't assume the worst. It may or not be meant as such, and I'm not pointing fingers at individuals, but that's what gives rise to all this... this *points up at the entire thread*.

Krisken

Krisken

Huh. I wondered where the brofist came from and was happy to see the "Really, Really" one hit the road.

Null

Null

I just took it to mean that some (many?) of the photos he took would not be suitable for Pez's sub forum.

--Patrick
That is also how I took it.

Frank

Frank

I have faith.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm puzzled.
How would cosplay pics taken at Dragon*Con not be suitable?
Because you make everyone's panties drop.

SeraRelm

Even ESPECIALLY Poe's!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

You did not just do that for your avatar.

Bones

Bones

HE DID! ITS A SHOP!

Bubble181

Bubble181

This thread hasn't been locked? This drama got talked out and settled like adults? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY HALFORUMS, dammit!

Also, man, people can getupset about random crap 'round here. Whoo. :-P

ElJuski

ElJuski

fuck you

Bowielee

Bowielee

Your mother...

Is a very nice woman.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Your mother...

Is a very nice woman.
No. No she's not.
Try not to take the below the wrong way NR.
Glad the bitch lost most of her teeth, got cancer, lost a breast and has alzheimers.

Adam

Adam

Is it because NR has breasts?? Is that your concern? If so, you truly are the most empathetic person I know SK.

Bubble181

Bubble181

No. No she's not.
Try not to take the below the wrong way NR.
Glad the bitch lost most of her teeth, got cancer, lost a breast and has alzheimers.
If she's got Alzheimers, does that mean you can shock her every day by coming out of the closet forthe very first time?

Whaddaya mean, insensitive?

fade

fade