[News] Muppets... again

This first episode was good, but kind of weird. I don't there was anything wrong with the writing or performances. It just felt sort of...off. I think it's the mockumentary style. I'm not used to something involving the Muppets where part of the humor comes from the awkward pauses, tension, and dry humor of that approach. Still, I don't hate it. I'll keep up and see if my attitude changes as I get used to it.

I laughed a bit. Not sure why it's getting such negative reactions I'm seeing; maybe because people associate the Muppets with kids' entertainment now.

The only part that felt off was Kermit's flashback, which felt like a real drama show moment. I guess they're going for serious stuff too, not just aping and mocking serious stuff. Not sure how I feel about that, but it could be fine. The show was funny for the most part; that's all I ask.

maybe because people associate the Muppets with kids' entertainment now.
The rose-colored glasses view of "I watched it as a kid. Muppets are for kids." Forgetting that The Muppet Show did some rather edgy stuff for the time period that it aired, because looking at it from today's standards it's really rather tame.

The rose-colored glasses view of "I watched it as a kid. Muppets are for kids." Forgetting that The Muppet Show did some rather edgy stuff for the time period that it aired, because looking at it from today's standards it's really rather tame.
And to be honest, I didn't really get the show when I was a kid. I laughed at the slapstick, but most of just existed. Going back as an adult, I can appreciate it a lot more.

I've heard some weird stuff from people on the radio about the new show, saying that the show is a behind the scenes thing and that Kermit is a put upon harried guy and Miss Piggy is a grand diva. They're saying it's a huge departure from the original show.

What the hell is different about that? Did they not watch the Muppet Show, or the Movies? Do they think that Sesame Street and the Muppets are the same thing?

I've heard some weird stuff from people on the radio about the new show, saying that the show is a behind the scenes thing and that Kermit is a put upon harried guy and Miss Piggy is a grand diva. They're saying it's a huge departure from the original show.

What the hell is different about that? Did they not watch the Muppet Show, or the Movies? Do they think that Sesame Street and the Muppets are the same thing?
The problem is that Miss Piggy's activities were mellowed by Kermit's actual, genuine love of her... you had to know that there was SOMETHING redeeming about her or Kermit wouldn't put up with it. Except now Kermit has a new girlfriend who doesn't abuse him or take advantage of him, so even now Kermit's like "I used to think all of your abuse was endearing, but now it's not in the slightest." It doesn't work without Kermit's permission... or really, maybe it never worked and we just didn't want to acknowledge that Kermit was in a crappy relationship and it was his fault for staying.

The new show is fine. It's just a bit more real than it used to be because the song and dance is gone.

I never liked Miss Piggy and the Piggy/Kermit relationship for that reason. It was a horrible relation with no redeeming features whatsoever. I didn't see it as "his real love mellowed her abuse". I've seen too many people who seem convinced they "genuinely love" their abusive alcoholic/beating/raping partner. In some episodes it really crossed into "he's deluding himself because of her looks" territory.

Mind that I haven't seen the new show yet and don't know how it works now - nor do I think this was a bad thing about the old show - I quite liked it.... But I was always surprised when people used them as an example of a functioning/good relationship. It really wasn't.

The Girl Scout cookie shenanigans going on in the background of the last episode make me both laugh and cry.

I like the new show, but I miss the old musical numbers. I'm aware that would fit much less well into the new concept...but I still miss 'em!