Export thread

Muppets... again

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about this yet. Apparently a new Muppet movie is shooting as we speak.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/30/muppets-sequel-exclusive/

I'm a bit leary as Jason Segel isn't attached to the project from what I can see.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

So, I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about this yet. Apparently a new Muppet movie is shooting as we speak.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/30/muppets-sequel-exclusive/

I'm a bit leary as Jason Segel isn't attached to the project from what I can see.
Jason Segel didn't -make- the muppets movie for me, so I'd be fine with that.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Jason Segel didn't -make- the muppets movie for me, so I'd be fine with that.
He did co-write it, though.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Haven't heard about it since it was greenlit, at which point it didn't even have a title, but I'm glad they're already shooting.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'll get excited when there's a trailer. Hopefully, a mock trailer. :D

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I hadn't brought it up, since all we had was a title and that they were shooting in London. I'm not worried about it though, with the current people that Disney has in charge of their movie stuff. If they start having wholesale changes in management (not the normal movement between jobs like they had a month or so ago) and really mess stuff up.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I like the plot synopsis as told by Kermit:

The idea of this film is that our gang is on this global tour, and we’re selling out these grand theaters all over Europe—in Berlin, Madrid, London—but we sort of get into a little bit of trouble when we run across my doppleganger. He’s the world’s number one criminal, Constantine, and he happens to look an awful lot like me. I won’t tell you any more than that, but let’s just say mayhem ensues.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It sounds like a parody of one of the original Muppet movie sequels. This could be good or bad.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I was sold when I read Kermit had an evil doppelganger named Constantine.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I was sold when I read Kermit had an evil doppelganger named Constantine.
Does he have a mustache or goatee? I'll bet he does.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

--Patrick
I hope. So much.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

There is a little pencil-thin mustache on the wanted poster.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Can you post a link to the image you used? The ones I've been seeing don't have enough detail, but I notice that there are at least three posters around the underground, and at least one newspaper with the wanted poster.
I just used the image you linked to and zoomed it in to the area in question, it's not super clear, but clear enough to tell that a mustache is there.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Also, here's what google found when I asked for "kermit wanted poster":
A test shot for the Gremlins remake?

At least they're going with practical effects and not CGI. Puppetry all the way!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

He should also have a voice completely different than Kermit, that would be funny.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Ricky Gervais updates us constantly on it's progress via twitter. It will be good, Gabby Hayes good!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

For you ignorance of Simpson references, I sentence you to 5 weeks with Pat Sajak.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

MY EYES ZE GOGGLES DO NOTHING! Classic.

evilmike

evilmike

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

He should also have a voice completely different than Kermit, that would be funny.
CALLED IT!

PatrThom

PatrThom

CALLED I...

Oh, he has a mole?

Carry on.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'll get excited when there's a trailer. Hopefully, a mock trailer. :D
CALLE...well fuck.

Statler: Why is it called Most Wanted?
Waldorf: It's the movie most wanted to avoid!

DOH-ho ho ho ho ho ho!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Alternate trailer!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Not about the movie, but still Muppet related.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Terry Crews has no shame.

None.

--Patrick

Tress

Tress

...and god bless him for it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Can I just mention how fucking stupid it is that that video has to be titled 'Big Game Ad' because the NFL copyrighted Super Bowl and won't let anyone use it without paying them?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Can I just mention how fucking stupid it is that that video has to be titled 'Big Game Ad' because the NFL copyrighted Super Bowl and won't let anyone use it without paying them?
But since it's only copyrighted in the USA, we still get info about "refused Superbowl Ads" (with Scarlett Johansson). It's odd.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's no March Madness(tm).

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Talk to someone whose job involves making commercials, for example, for all the local bars with big screen TVs that want you and your friends to spend sunday THERE buying beer and hot wings while you watch the BIG GAME, and having to correct salespeople and clients constantly that no we're not allowed to use the other phrase. Every year. Because surely you know someone like that.

Tress

Tress

This is also why The Colbert Report has been running their "Superb Owl" graphic all week while they talk to NFL players.

Dei

Dei

MUPPETS ARE ON TONIGHT GUYS! *Kermit flail*

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

MUPPETS ARE ON TONIGHT GUYS! *Kermit flail*
You forgot the- YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Tivo is set and I'll skip the commercials.

Tuesday is gonna be a monster Tivo night in our household... Muppets, Flash, SHIELD, Faceoff and NCIS...

Dei

Dei

You forgot the- YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bubble181

Bubble181

Tivo is set and I'll skip the commercials.

Tuesday is gonna be a monster Tivo night in our household... Muppets, Flash, SHIELD, Faceoff and NCIS...
There's new NCISs? Why didn't anyone tell me?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

There's new NCISs? Why didn't anyone tell me?
Tonight is the current season premier.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"Can't say Hell!"

Celt Z

Celt Z

"Did you know their original name was 'Imagine Dragons'?"
"...their name IS Imagine Dragons."
"I know! They kept it!"

...I don't know why that made me laugh so hard. I think it was Janice's delivery. :rofl:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Is it an hour show or a half-hour show?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Half-hour.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I was kind of expecting it to be a continuation FROM the pilot, but the style of humor is the same so it's still good.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

This first episode was good, but kind of weird. I don't there was anything wrong with the writing or performances. It just felt sort of...off. I think it's the mockumentary style. I'm not used to something involving the Muppets where part of the humor comes from the awkward pauses, tension, and dry humor of that approach. Still, I don't hate it. I'll keep up and see if my attitude changes as I get used to it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I laughed a bit. Not sure why it's getting such negative reactions I'm seeing; maybe because people associate the Muppets with kids' entertainment now.

The only part that felt off was Kermit's flashback, which felt like a real drama show moment. I guess they're going for serious stuff too, not just aping and mocking serious stuff. Not sure how I feel about that, but it could be fine. The show was funny for the most part; that's all I ask.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was kind of expecting it to be a continuation FROM the pilot, but the style of humor is the same so it's still good.
The pilot was always just a show of concept for NBC. It even said exactly that at the very beginning of the pilot.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

maybe because people associate the Muppets with kids' entertainment now.
The rose-colored glasses view of "I watched it as a kid. Muppets are for kids." Forgetting that The Muppet Show did some rather edgy stuff for the time period that it aired, because looking at it from today's standards it's really rather tame.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The rose-colored glasses view of "I watched it as a kid. Muppets are for kids." Forgetting that The Muppet Show did some rather edgy stuff for the time period that it aired, because looking at it from today's standards it's really rather tame.
And to be honest, I didn't really get the show when I was a kid. I laughed at the slapstick, but most of just existed. Going back as an adult, I can appreciate it a lot more.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've heard some weird stuff from people on the radio about the new show, saying that the show is a behind the scenes thing and that Kermit is a put upon harried guy and Miss Piggy is a grand diva. They're saying it's a huge departure from the original show.

What the hell is different about that? Did they not watch the Muppet Show, or the Movies? Do they think that Sesame Street and the Muppets are the same thing?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I've heard some weird stuff from people on the radio about the new show, saying that the show is a behind the scenes thing and that Kermit is a put upon harried guy and Miss Piggy is a grand diva. They're saying it's a huge departure from the original show.

What the hell is different about that? Did they not watch the Muppet Show, or the Movies? Do they think that Sesame Street and the Muppets are the same thing?
The problem is that Miss Piggy's activities were mellowed by Kermit's actual, genuine love of her... you had to know that there was SOMETHING redeeming about her or Kermit wouldn't put up with it. Except now Kermit has a new girlfriend who doesn't abuse him or take advantage of him, so even now Kermit's like "I used to think all of your abuse was endearing, but now it's not in the slightest." It doesn't work without Kermit's permission... or really, maybe it never worked and we just didn't want to acknowledge that Kermit was in a crappy relationship and it was his fault for staying.

The new show is fine. It's just a bit more real than it used to be because the song and dance is gone.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I never liked Miss Piggy and the Piggy/Kermit relationship for that reason. It was a horrible relation with no redeeming features whatsoever. I didn't see it as "his real love mellowed her abuse". I've seen too many people who seem convinced they "genuinely love" their abusive alcoholic/beating/raping partner. In some episodes it really crossed into "he's deluding himself because of her looks" territory.

Mind that I haven't seen the new show yet and don't know how it works now - nor do I think this was a bad thing about the old show - I quite liked it.... But I was always surprised when people used them as an example of a functioning/good relationship. It really wasn't.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Do they think that Sesame Street and the Muppets are the same thing?
Yes.

I just assumed the relationship stuff was preemptive towards getting ready for the eventual loss (death or retirement) of Frank Oz.

--Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Eric Jacobson is currently doing Miss Piggy, has been since around 2000 or so.

Dei

Dei

The Girl Scout cookie shenanigans going on in the background of the last episode make me both laugh and cry.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

We should have some kind of daily confab where we discuss the show.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I like the new show, but I miss the old musical numbers. I'm aware that would fit much less well into the new concept...but I still miss 'em!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I like the new show, but I miss the old musical numbers. I'm aware that would fit much less well into the new concept...but I still miss 'em!
Yeah they were great, they were the MASTERS of finding new ways to play old songs.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah they were great, they were the MASTERS of finding new ways to play old songs.

--Patrick

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Really, the entire Harry Belafonte episode is amazing.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Really, the entire Harry Belafonte episode is amazing.
That version of "Turn The World Around" is the image my brain always conjures up for that song, just like it conjures up Lynda Carter for "Rubberband Man."

--Patrick

grub

grub

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I remember watching this over and over again on that Muppet special they made years ago.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It had to be asses-to-elbows crowded under that longboat.

PatrThom

PatrThom

They were probably arranged like piano keys.

--Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Only 6 puppeteers, one had operating the head, other with sticks for the hands.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Only 6 puppeteers, one had operating the head, other with sticks for the hands.
Way more than 6 in the last 30 seconds of the video.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Way more than 6 in the last 30 seconds of the video.

Your answer comes around the 4:45 mark.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Your answer comes around the 4:45 mark.
Yep. Asses to elbows, inside and leaning over from behind the boat. Heh.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yep. Asses to elbows, inside and leaning over from behind the boat. Heh.
I imagine that wasn't an uncommon thing for them. Fortunately, the final product was astounding thanks to those asses-to-elbows.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I imagine that wasn't an uncommon thing for them. Fortunately, the final product was astounding thanks to those asses-to-elbows.
Plus, people were just... skinnier, then.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Second episode was funnier than the first.

Lawrence Fishburne's cameo cracked me up.

General Specific

General Specific

Covar

Covar

I'm really enjoying this show so far. Sad to hear it's getting such a mixed reaction, although a lot of the complaints I've personally heard are from people who I feel wouldn't be happy unless it was reruns of the original muppet show.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'm really enjoying this show so far. Sad to hear it's getting such a mixed reaction, although a lot of the complaints I've personally heard are from people who I feel wouldn't be happy unless it was reruns of the original muppet show.
I've been enjoying the show as well. It just feels sort of weird to see Kermit as a manipulator like this. I mean, he wasn't always squeaky clean in The Muppet Show, but it sort of feels so...different, here.

That said, I've been finding that it's a lot of the side characters who are really working in this show's format.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I've been enjoying the show as well. It just feels sort of weird to see Kermit as a manipulator like this. I mean, he wasn't always squeaky clean in The Muppet Show, but it sort of feels so...different, here.

That said, I've been finding that it's a lot of the side characters who are really working in this show's format.
Kermit is a manipulator for the common good, he's always had a love for anarchy but only HE has the authoritative nature and cunning to get things done. Paraphrased from the season one DVD extras.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"It has ALWAYS been Witherspoon".

I fucking love Uncle Dedly.

Dei

Dei

Ahhhhhhh. It's not even on here yet for another 45 minutes.

Dei

Dei

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Its funny seeing her petty revenge be mostly justified for once.

Dei

Dei

Also Scooter is a dick. ;)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"Whoopsy Bin!"

Dei

Dei

But honestly, her revenge was perfect. Because Kermit is the only one who knows. Until he isn't.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

But honestly, her revenge was perfect. Because Kermit is the only one who knows. Until he isn't.
Ooh boy, this break-up gon' be HUGE!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Not sure how to feel about this, I have been enjoying the show.

Muppets Show Runner leaving show

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Also Scooter is a dick. ;)
Scooter is a dick.

General Specific

General Specific

Not sure how to feel about this, I have been enjoying the show.

Muppets Show Runner leaving show
I have also heard rumors that they are going to retool the show for next season. Which I think would be a huge mistake, I am really enjoying the new humor.

Celt Z

Celt Z

That was, by far, my favorite episode of the show so far. There was something about it that felt like it could have aired during the original Muppet Show run (minus a few of the modern references). I was on the fence with the announcement they were retooling, but if there are more episodes like this, I don't want them to touch it.

Also, Kermit + banjo = all the feels! :sohappy: (Shut it, Bill!)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm not sure why they are retooling... I've really enjoyed this season.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

As am I, damn good sitcom. ALSO I am loving the Sam/Janet stuff, mostly because its the most random ship ever.

evilmike

evilmike

Here's the drum battle from the most recent episode:

It reminds me of another battle Animal was in:

Emrys

Emrys

And...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Who is doing Animal's drum performances now?

PatrThom

PatrThom

I was going to be disappointed if someone hadn't posted this by the time I got up this morning.

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Well, tonight's episode was fantastic.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It really was, just a nice warm ending.

TNM

TNM

I really hope this show is renewed.

Side note, I must have one of those Up Late with Miss Piggy mugs to add to my collection.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Heh-

evilmike

evilmike

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"This is the third most important secret I've ever kept." -said after slowly taking his hand off of Kermit's chest.

I freaking love Uncle Deadly.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oct 17, 2018: Puppeteer Caroll Spinney Announces Retirement from Sesame Street
Puppeteer Caroll Spinney today announced that he is stepping down from the roles of Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch[ ...] He joined Sesame Street’s inaugural season in 1969, and he’s been performing with the show ever since.
After five decades as the heart and soul of Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, it’s impossible to entirely separate the man from the characters he so vibrantly brought to life.
[...]
“Before I came to Sesame Street, I didn’t feel like what I was doing was very important. Big Bird helped me find my purpose,” Spinney said. “Even as I step down from my roles, I feel I will always be Big Bird. And even Oscar, once in a while! They have given me great joy, led me to my true calling – and my wonderful wife! – and created a lifetime of memories that I will cherish forever.”

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

I didn't now how else to rate this. I was reading about it earlier and thought it was bittersweet. It's a good, long career, so congrats to him, but he will be missed.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I didn't now how else to rate this. I was reading about it earlier and thought it was bittersweet. It's a good, long career, so congrats to him, but he will be missed.
Yeah. For some of us, he's practically family.

--Patrick