Movie News & Miscellany

I, uh, actually enjoy watching 1 more than all the Picard movies.

I rate it as 3rd best on my list of Trek Movies. Tied for third with the third.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a great 30 minute episode told in a two and a half hour movie.

Which feels like a four hour movie.

The TV edit was even longer. I swear they spent 40 minutes on the shuttle pass by the Enterprise in dry dock before Kirk even came aboard.

It's been too long since I watched it. I remember hating it when I was younger, but being surprised that it wasn't as bad as I remember. At least it didn't have whales in it. :D

Goddammit CBS. The anthology style would've been awesome.
It never even occurred to me that an anthology style could be used for Star Trek, but now that I've heard of it, I agree that it would've been amazing. There are so many ships, so many captains and crews, so many planets, so many species, so many space stations, so many stories in the Star Trek universe... an anthology series could've explored so many of them.

fade

Staff member
That tweet. It's funny how the people who comment that they're just innocently concerned about the accuracy of the film stick their fingers in their ears for all the Negasonic Teenage Warhead comments.

GasBandit

Staff member
That tweet. It's funny how the people who comment that they're just innocently concerned about the accuracy of the film stick their fingers in their ears for all the Negasonic Teenage Warhead comments.
I mean, I made my post satirically, because I knew there'd be neckbeards going "BUT SHE'S NOT WHITE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE", but...

Because NTW was a shit character in the comics based on a tiresome idea poorly executed, and the DP movie at least made her minimally palatable, I'd hazard to guess.

I mean, really, comic-NTW would have served admirably as the poster child for why "normal people don't read comic books."

Domino is, however, a second-maybe-third tier character at least, though, as opposed to a recurring disposable bad joke, so I can kind of understand people having stronger feelings about her character design and portrayal.

Granted, a lot of it is just thinly veiled "too many minorities in my water park" cartmanism, but I don't think NTW is an effective rebuttal.[DOUBLEPOST=1501541008,1501540412][/DOUBLEPOST]Speaking of which, somebody with an actual twitter account could tweet this back at the appropriate people in that thread for the lulz.

I'm still sad we're not getting Kiera Knightly as Cable. After DP mentioned that after the credits, I thought it'd be a legitimately awesome and hilarious casting. Especially for the meta jokes.

Because NTW was a shit character in the comics based on a tiresome idea poorly executed, and the DP movie at least made her minimally palatable, I'd hazard to guess.

I mean, really, comic-NTW would have served admirably as the poster child for why "normal people don't read comic books."
Wasn't NTW created just so she could be killed by Sentinels in the Genosha massacre thing?

I can't say I thought it looked pretty cool. The trailers acted like Jake was the protagonist, which is both a strange choice and makes it seem like a "kid goes to fantasy world" type of story, which it's not. I don't even care for the books, but the stuff they're dealing with would be difficult to translate to screen. This result doesn't surprise me.

My understanding of the criticism is that it seems they tried to stuff scenes from all 7 books into one movie. Designed by committee has been thrown around a lot regarding it.

My understanding of the criticism is that it seems they tried to stuff scenes from all 7 books into one movie. Designed by committee has been thrown around a lot regarding it.
I wondered if they'd try that, since it's very clearly not sticking with the first book.

I just finished watching the film.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: I have never read any of the novels and I went into this film without knowing ANYTHING about the story from the books.

I liked it. It is a good, sturdy entry into the action-fantasy genre. The acting is good, even the kid. The special effects were impressive, although some of the fight scenes suffer from logic gaps. McConaughey and Elba both bring strong screen presence. The story is entertaining, though it is very simple and superficial. I'm sure I'll notice plot holes as time goes on since I usually don't pick them up right away, but there's nothing glaring that stands out to me at the moment.

Overall, it's an entertaining if not great film and I don't regret seeing it one bit. But I brought no real expectations into the theater.

Reactions: Far