Movie News & Miscellany

I've also never seen Misery, but I know of that scene in it, and it makes me never want to watch it.
In all fairness to that scene, most of the damn movie is pretty uncomfortable to watch.[DOUBLEPOST=1504066534,1504066439][/DOUBLEPOST]
Better than Shawshank?
Should be "best Stephen King adaptation according to people who have no idea just how many King adaptations there are, because of just how much fiction King has written." According to King, he's met people who refuse to believe he wrote Shawshank.

I "legally obtained" it recently but haven't sat down to watch it. Haven't really felt like sitting back with a movie at home as much lately.

Misery is one of those movies (and I have a lot of these) that I was too young to see it when it came out, but it's been discussed and referenced, at length, so many times in my life that I've never felt the need to watch it because I already know everything about it. Sometimes I do get around to *actually* watching those movies just to say I did. I really should sit down and watch it one of these days.

GasBandit

Staff member
Misery is one of those movies (and I have a lot of these) that I was too young to see it when it came out, but it's been discussed and referenced, at length, so many times in my life that I've never felt the need to watch it because I already know everything about it. Sometimes I do get around to *actually* watching those movies just to say I did. I really should sit down and watch it one of these days.
Heh, well put... I'm actually in the exact same boat on this one.

Heh, well put... I'm actually in the exact same boat on this one.
The funny thing is how often it happens. I was in the same boat with The Shining until a few years ago until I sat down and actually watched the movie from start to finish. There was nothing I hadn't known about already or hadn't seen at other times, so it was more like, "Oh, this is what it's like all at once. Huh.". Or in a similar vein, I have watched every scene in The Godfather more than once. I read the book as a teen. But to this day, I can't recall if I've ever watched the movie from start to finish in one sitting. I can't decide if the reason for stuff like this is a lifetime immersed in pop culture, or just an effect of being part of the Cable Generation, when for the first time in history, we can accidentally stumble into and out of movies.

I have a very similar effect with some computer games. Mass Effect III, for example. It's been discussed to hell and back so often, I think I know all the storylines and all the characters. I think I'd probably trechnically like the type of game, but I've never gotten around to actually playing it.

I have a very similar effect with some computer games. Mass Effect III, for example. It's been discussed to hell and back so often, I think I know all the storylines and all the characters. I think I'd probably trechnically like the type of game, but I've never gotten around to actually playing it.
Just play 1 and 2 and you're good

There are many classic movies I'm afraid I've now waited too long to see. After hearing how great they are, I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. I googled a "list of movies you need to see" that lists off a lot of classics. So many on that list I've never seen: The Godfather series, Scarface, Raging Bull, Gigli, Trainspotting, Rocky, Requiem for a Dream, Boogie Nights, Clueless, Catwoman, Goodfellas, The Goonies, The Breakfast Club, The Graduate, Psycho, Rear Window.

Like, take Chinatown for example. While I don't think it's a bad movie by any means, I honestly found myself bored during most of it. I didn't see Forest Gump until I think 10 years after its release. I thought it was okay, but nothing special. I did love the hell out of The Big Lebowski and Taxi Driver once I watched them.

Last edited:
There are many classic movies I'm afraid I've now waited too long to see. After hearing how great they are, I'm afraid ll be disappointed. I googled a "list of movies you need to see" that lists off a lot of classics. So many on that list I've never seen: The Godfather series, Scarface, Raging Bull, Gigli, Trainspotting, Rocky, Requiem for a Dream, Boogie Nights, Clueless, Catwoman, Goodfellas, The Goonies, The Breakfast Club, The Graduate, Psycho, Rear Window.
Wat

You have indeed waited too long to see Gigli. It's no longer as terrible as its reputation.

Catwoman, on the other hand, still holds up as being godawful shit

fade

Staff member
There are many classic movies I'm afraid I've now waited too long to see. After hearing how great they are, I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. I googled a "list of movies you need to see" that lists off a lot of classics. So many on that list I've never seen: The Godfather series, Scarface, Raging Bull, Gigli, Trainspotting, Rocky, Requiem for a Dream, Boogie Nights, Clueless, Catwoman, Goodfellas, The Goonies, The Breakfast Club, The Graduate, Psycho, Rear Window.

Like, take Chinatown for example. While I don't think it's a bad movie by any means, I honestly found myself bored during most of it. I didn't see Forest Gump until I think 10 years after its release. I thought it was okay, but nothing special. I did love the hell out of The Big Lebowski and Taxi Driver once I watched them.
Unfortunately, a lot of these fall under the "Seinfeld Isn't Funny" trope. The things that made them unique at the time have been eclipsed by other movies doing it better. Some. Not all. I still love a lot of these. Especially The Goonies.

GasBandit

Staff member
I actually rewatched the Goonies last year... for the most part it holds up, but holy shit I never noticed how much of the movie's audio is a constant jabber of kids that won't shut up. I don't think they even had lines, Spielberg must have just told them "anybody who stops talking for more than a second gets whipped with a hickory switch" or something.

The game is streamlined. The stupid puzzles of the first and the scanning of the second are mostly removed. The combat system of the game is an improvement over 2. The multiplayer is fucking fantastic.

Huh. Only took 18 minutes for someone to notice. Thought it'd take longer. :troll:
I noticed right away, but just assumed the movies were on the list in order to experience the horror.
I actually rewatched the Goonies last year... for the most part it holds up, but holy shit I never noticed how much of the movie's audio is a constant jabber of kids that won't shut up. I don't think they even had lines, Spielberg must have just told them "anybody who stops talking for more than a second gets whipped with a hickory switch" or something.
<@dei> That's just the sound of you getting old. < /@dei>

--Patrick

I'll save you some time. Don't watch Godfather III, Catwoman, or Gigli.

Do watch The Godfather I & II and Rocky and Trainspotting and Goodfellas! Like stat.

Scarface - eh. I didn't see why everyone made a big deal about his little friend.

Boogie Nights - eh. I didn't see why everyone made a big deal about his big friend.

The Goonies is fun.

Requiem is a trip. A trip that I don't necessarily recommend. Drugs are bad, mkay?

Breakfast Club and Clueless are dated and about H.S. So, meh.

Rear Window and Psycho are great films, but might be a bit boring by today's standards.

Haven't seen The Graduate, so fist bump brosef.

Last edited: