Movie News & Miscellany

Movies with Mikey is such a great series and you should all be watching it. Now, I don't know if I agree with everything, especially the hyperbolic thing he ends this video with but I love the whole thing nonetheless.

Movies with Mikey is one of my all time favorite series and I want to hang out with Mikey and be best friends and go on a road trip where we find ourselves.

Or just watch his videos, definitely one of the two.

Early reviews of Assassin's Creed are coming in, apparently it represents a continuation of the long and hallowed tradition of bad video game movies.

Early reviews of Assassin's Creed are coming in, apparently it represents a continuation of the long and hallowed tradition of bad video game movies.
From what I've heard, very little of it actually takes place in the past. It seems they think Desmond is the compelling character in the games.

From what I've heard, very little of it actually takes place in the past. It seems they think Desmond is the compelling character in the games.
Yeah, I saw it last night. It was...meh. The modern day portions were a bit dull and muddled as they got into the over-arching story about the Apple of Eden, and unfortunately it's those modern day portions that make up the bulk of the film. There's really only three trips in the Animus over the course of the film, and those parts are definitely the better portions.

Yeah, I saw it last night. It was...meh. The modern day portions were a bit dull and muddled as they got into the over-arching story about the Apple of Eden, and unfortunately it's those modern day portions that make up the bulk of the film. There's really only three trips in the Animus over the course of the film, and those parts are definitely the better portions.
"Let's take the most boring, unliked part of the series and make that the focus of the movie!"

They should have just pieced together all the cut scenes from each game. So far my favorite has been the Black Flag game.

There was a 45-minute live-action video of Ezio's father doing assassin shit in Italy. They should've followed that and just set an assassin story in the past, ignored the Animus, the Pieces of Eden, all that crap.

Though to be honest, even the scenes they're showing in ads on Youtube don't look well-edited.

It's the same problem with every video game movie up to this point, and the majority of comic book movies before 2008.

"Okay, there's this game/franchise everyone loves! We're going to turn it into a movie. But first, we need to change everything about it..."

It's the same problem with every video game movie up to this point, and the majority of comic book movies before 2008.

"Okay, there's this game/franchise everyone loves! We're going to turn it into a movie. But first, we need to change everything about it..."
I'll say this about Capcom, Insomniac, and Square Enix: their CG movies haven't always been good, but at least they felt tied to the fucking source material.

I actually really liked Kingsglaive, I thought it was a good movie all on its own, and not just because I grinned like an idiot when I realized the monster they were fighting on an airship was motherfucking Ultros.

I actually really liked Kingsglaive, I thought it was a good movie all on its own, and not just because I grinned like an idiot when I realized the monster they were fighting on an airship was motherfucking Ultros.
I haven't seen it yet.

However, I love that Ultros and Gilgamesh just kind of butt into other games now, like they just don't care.

I thought outside of the neat action sequences, it was unbelievably boring and nonsensical. I know I wasn't alone because during the not action sequences the nerd friends I was watching it with just starting talking about other things. No one could focus on the movie.

There are too many big movies I want to see coming out this year. As in financially, too many.

The Red Turtle
Lego Batman
Logan
Kong: Skull Island
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Wonder Woman
Spider-man: Homecoming
War for the Planet of the Apes
Thor: Ragnarok
Star Wars: Episode VIII

And that's not counting maybe-movies, small stuff, etc. Hell, there's Oscar-nod movies from this past year I'm still kind of interested in, but I'll probably wait to rent those or see if they show up on Netflix.

There are too many big movies I want to see coming out this year. As in financially, too many.

The Red Turtle
Lego Batman
Logan
Kong: Skull Island
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Wonder Woman
Spider-man: Homecoming
War for the Planet of the Apes
Thor: Ragnarok
Star Wars: Episode VIII

And that's not counting maybe-movies, small stuff, etc. Hell, there's Oscar-nod movies from this past year I'm still kind of interested in, but I'll probably wait to rent those or see if they show up on Netflix.
I'm surprised you didn't list War for the Planet of the Apes twice. :p

I'm definitely not going to see Wonder Woman until I get confirmation that it isn't more grimdark crap.

Not including the MCU, what is the most successful shared movie universe?

It occurred to me that the answer might just be...
Behind_the_Scenes_Destroy_All_Monsters.jpg

So pretty much just monsters and superheroes.
Technically, the biggest crossover universe is the Tommy Westphall Television Universe. With the oldest connection being I Love Lucy (started 1951) and the most recent being basically every Disney Channel live action show currently running, it's been going for 66 years and crosses over in 441 shows (49 of which are still airing).

I'd also add in that Abbott and Costello are mixed up in the whole Universal Monsters thing, as well as the Keystone Kops,

GasBandit

Staff member
Technically, the biggest crossover universe is the Tommy Westphall Television Universe. With the oldest connection being I Love Lucy (started 1951) and the most recent being basically every Disney Channel live action show currently running, it's been going for 66 years and crosses over in 441 shows (49 of which are still airing).
Ok, I call bullshit, Parker Lewis Can't Lose did NOT crossover with Leave it to Beaver, Married... With Children or Family Ties.

... I'm not reading this right, am I.