Movie News & Miscellany

I thought I knew my comic lore rather well, but I don't recognize some of those characters. I recognize Cat Man, King Tut, Orca, Red Hoot, and....Calculator, maybe?
Cat Man
King Tut
Orca
Mime
Calculator
Eraser
Red Hood*
March Harriet
Zodiac Master
Clayface

* Also, note that Red Hoot is actually a Belgian crime fighter.

Aww man, that's Catman... I was hoping that'd be Dark Claw, which would've been stupidly awesome (or awesomely stupid) but I guess I understand why that's not possible.

GasBandit

Staff member
Aww man, that's Catman... I was hoping that'd be Dark Claw, which would've been stupidly awesome (or awesomely stupid) but I guess I understand why that's not possible.
Hey man, Catman will *HEP* you up!

Then he'll pick up some cold ones and knock 'em back.

I went perusing IMDB's coming soon section to get an idea of what movies are coming out next year, and while there's a bunch of stuff I'm interested in because it sounds good, there's ... other things ...

Like Raw, about a vegan who's forced to eat meat during a ... vet school hazing ritual? Then develops a craving for human flesh, it seems. Oy.

Or Sleight, about a street magician turned drug dealer, who must then fall back on his magician skills to save his kidnapped niece from a drug lord/his former employer. This sounds like a producer had an Ideas Hat, grabbed three random ideas, and told the studio to make a movie out of it.

And January 2017 is something else. I know it's the early year's dumping ground, but the sheer volume of shitty-sounding movies coming out next month is staggering. So many awful-looking horror movies, too. I'm trying to keep an open mind since The Witch came out in January and that was great, but just ... Amityville again, Resident Evil 6, a Ring reboot, the Devil But Not Really, Underworld (are we not done with this already?), a new Shyamalan horror film. Then there's Monster Trucks, a dog trying to figure out his life (spoiler: it ain't that deep), and just ... and so on ....

Only good stuff looks to A Monster Calls and The Red Turtle, but I'll bet neither of them hit #1 on their respective weekends.

I believe it; I just don't think it'll get a wide enough release to do well financially in the states.

Definitely seeing it if I can. The last Ghibli ...
Pfft... Miyazaki is already talking about coming out of retirement again to make another movie. I'll believe Studio Ghibli is done with him when he's dead.

Pfft... Miyazaki is already talking about coming out of retirement again to make another movie. I'll believe Studio Ghibli is done with him when he's dead.
Well they did close. Has he said he's reviving the studio for his new project?

I never believe him, he's retired a half dozen times at this point, but I was sad that Ghibli closed their doors due to his most recent absence and I've not been sure they'd recover. Considering Miyazaki's box office value, any Japanese production place would be thrilled to work with him.

Officially, Studio Ghibli isn't closed. It's just "halted production" on big cinema releases, instead doing shorts for the Ghibli museum in Mitaka.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm proud of his good taste. But I get a few questioning looks from other parents when he announces "I'm Manolo! I'm looking for Maria!", as opposed to little girls running around saying they're Elsa or Ariel.

I wish more people would see it, it's a fun movie and such a different ascetic from Pixar or Dreamworks.

Deadpool has been nominated for Best Comedy for the Golden Globes, and Ryan Reynolds for Best Actor in a Comedy.

I really want him to wear the Deadpool mask in a tux. I'm not sure how far he's willing to take his in-character appearances.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm proud of his good taste. But I get a few questioning looks from other parents when he announces "I'm Manolo! I'm looking for Maria!", as opposed to little girls running around saying they're Elsa or Ariel.

I wish more people would see it, it's a fun movie and such a different ascetic from Pixar or Dreamworks.
aesthetic. Unless you've convinced Li'l Z to only eat and drink water and bread these days? :p

We have tickets for the midnight opening, but in a small DeLuxe cinema (60 seats) with comfy leather armchairs. Also, we go for the original version (Germany represent).

Hipsters, hipsters everywhere.

We have tickets for the midnight opening, but in a small DeLuxe cinema (60 seats) with comfy leather armchairs. Also, we go for the original version (Germany represent).

Hipsters, hipsters everywhere.
Are you also going to dress like your avatar for he showing? Because you should.

--Patrick