Movie News & Miscellany

I don't know if anyone else here loves the Criterion Collection, but I love their Criterion Closet videos where they have various actors, directors, etc, visit the closet and pick out their favourites.

This one features The Daniels, of Everything Everywhere All at Once. And one of them mentions loving Godzilla and wanting to do an old school, practical effects, "guy in a suit smashing miniatures" kaiju movie. And now that's all I want in life.

Last edited:
I hope people go an see it though. I was looking at showings coming up and the theaters are basically empty.
This has been true of every release since pandemic. I used to manage a theatre and remain well acquainted with a lot of the current managers so talk shop from time to time when I go in. Avatar was their big hope for a return to business from before and, like everything since, it just didn't have any legs.

Opening weekends are usually ok, after that there is 0 retention.

I haven't been to a theater since I got Covid at Dr. Strange 2 but I would go and see this apparently GOOD D&D movie.

Unfortunately I am in a remote northern town with the nearest theater being a five hour drive away.

I DO want to see it though God damn it.

I went to get tickets yesterday, and the system didn't have Saturday yet... but you could get tickets online for weeks already... and of course they charge a extra fee for doing that.

Yeah, i went again today to get the tickets, fuck your convenience fee.

I hope people go an see it though. I was looking at showings coming up and the theaters are basically empty.
Saw it this evening. Theater was pretty full so I'll probably get covid and die.

That said, it was a fun little flick, but i think people who aren't deep in dnd lore might not get a lot of the unexplained references. Movie is set in Faerun and there's a lot of name dropping that might go over some folks heads.

But i enjoyed it. It wasn't a masterpiece but it was probably the best d&d movie made so far. Hopefully my fears about non d&d players will be unfounded... but you know, there are probably enough people who have played to make the movie profitable regardless

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
If Link doesn't say "well excuse me princess" once at some point, the whole movie will be a waste of time.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
The production budget on jars alone is going to be astronomical.

And I hope the character accidentally hits a chicken.

Personally, I'm a little hesitant on this, mostly because while Mario was super popular, it wasn't particularly...deep? I guess? Yes, it was a movie for kids, but so are Pixar, Disney, etc., and they almost always have a lot more plot and characterization. It felt like a lot of Mario relied on nostalgia and visual references rather than actually developing the plot, personalities, or relationships. But then again, most Mario games don't have those things, either. None of the main Mario cast has ever had any distinctive personality traits. They made a movie that was bland enough not to rock the IP, but with enough going on to be entertaining. Zelda games usually have some kind of plot, so hopefully, they'll give it a little more depth, and maybe even take some risks with the characters.

figmentPez

Staff member

Congressman Slams Warner Bros. for Canceling ‘Coyote vs. Acme,’ Calls for Federal Investigation

Texas Rep. Joaquin Castro took to X to blast the studio for its original plan to shelve the movie for a tax break.
"The WBD tactic of scrapping fully made films for tax breaks is predatory and anti-competitive,” the San Antonio Democrat wrote. “As the Justice Department and @FTC revise their antitrust guidelines they should review this conduct. As someone remarked, it’s like burning down a building for the insurance money.”