Movie News & Miscellany

So, Disney was apparently very recently in talks to buy Fox's movie studios. This is in addition to their new Theater strongarming which sees a ton of smaller theaters unable to play new Star Wars without taking huge losses and banning media outlets that have given them bad reviews from film screenings is a bad sign. Monolithic media companies are scary. No one should want Disney to own everything.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21s...o-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

http://mashable.com/2017/11/01/star-wars-last-jedi-theaters-disney/#x9MfatE_JOq2

And apparently, critics' groups are mad about it.

I have the despecs for all 3 movies, and they are a beauty to behold. Fantastic sound and image, and the same visuals my nostalgia-addled brain remembers seeing in the shitty VHS copies.
I take it one would have to torrent such things? What is the best source for this stuff? I am a mostly neutral good, but I tend to buy all of my media. I might be willing to do so here since I have DVDs and VHSs legally procured already. I can justify this as a "back-up".

I take it one would have to torrent such things? What is the best source for this stuff? I am a mostly neutral good, but I tend to buy all of my media. I might be willing to do so here since I have DVDs and VHSs legally procured already. I can justify this as a "back-up".
Yes, torrents (and direct downloads) is the normal way to find these. If we were local I'd recommend using a sneakernet just because they are pretty niche files (and large) so it can be a pain to obtain them.

Same justification for me here. This is a product that is literally not available to me for purchase, and is a remix of multiple products that are also not available. I already own the shitty versions.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just checked, and the despecialized editions are up on iptorrents with plenty of seeds... if you need an invite, message me.

I do too, but I no longer have a VHS player. I can't justify buying one just for that purpose.

Where as I have one-BUT STILL-need to set it up with my old TV I got-OR-go to one my several hipster friend's houses who still have standard def TVs with VHS players. HD WAS A MISTAKE!

Last edited:
Well now I want more of this theme. Could be the new "This movie, but with Guardians of the Galaxy 2 opening."

Hey now, I fully expect Justice League to make a strong case for the next meme -- applying a sepia filter to a video, shifting the hue and maybe yelling 'Yeah' a lot.

Dammit, I thought The Shape of Water was getting wide release on December 8, but that's just the second phase of its limited release. Doesn't go worldwide until January, which tells me they just wanted to squeeze it in for Oscar season.

Dammit, I thought The Shape of Water was getting wide release on December 8, but that's just the second phase of its limited release. Doesn't go worldwide until January, which tells me they just wanted to squeeze it in for Oscar season.
Certainly brings new meaning to Oscar "bait."

It's getting pretty good reviews... well, from the critics who understand what the fucking point of the movie is anyway. I dug it.

I could see Tarantino doing something great, but it would be far outside the norm for Star Trek. A Vulcan/Romulan conspiracy thriller or something.

I could see Tarantino doing something great, but it would be far outside the norm for Star Trek. A Vulcan/Romulan conspiracy thriller or something.
I think that whatever Tarantino makes, it'll be memorable. I'd be interested to see the "Rogue One" treatment done to Star Trek, one-off films outside of the "usual" rules w/o usual characters.

I think that whatever Tarantino makes, it'll be memorable. I'd be interested to see the "Rogue One" treatment done to Star Trek, one-off films outside of the "usual" rules w/o usual characters.
I'd like to see a scene in the cantina where the Han Shot First sequence goes on in the background. Totally unrelated to what's going on in the movie we're watching, though. :)

This is more TV than movie, but Netflix has released some small teasers for the next season of Black Mirror. A small trailer for each episode.

Arkangel

Crocodile

Black Museum

Hang the DJ

Metalhead

U.S.S. Callister