Movie News & Miscellany

Deadpool 2 is filming down the road today.

Some weird lab truck, looks like the one from Logan.

Edit: I take that back. I got a better look at them a bit a go and it was these.

Last edited:
IT is getting pretty good reviews, and right now is 89% on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't agree with Chris Stuckmann for a lot of movies and he can make analyses that don't make any sense, but from what I've seen he's not one to give a crappy horror movie an across the board positive review.

Sucky part for me is I promised not to see it without my friend who's visiting, and that won't be for two weeks.

Reactions: Far
The first 5 minutes are nigh perfect when comparing to the book and independent of that, it's just good movie up to that point at least.

In that same vain, I've never had to tell anyone to be quiet in a movie before but I sure as hell told some teens to shut the fuck up while watching this.

Last edited:
The first 5 minutes are nigh perfect when comparing to the book and independent of that, it's just good movie up to that point at least.

In that same vain, I've never had to tell anyone to be quiet in a movie before but I sure as hell told some teens to shut the fuck up while watching this.
Unless a movie is severely wrong-headed, like The Spirit levels of bad, it's pointless to gauge as "already awful" the way that tweet does, unless translated to "it's not what I wanted." If I'm hating something five minutes in, it's probably because I didn't want to be there.

Your latter part is why I mostly go to big, loud movies in theaters. Horror movies, drama, often too dependent on quiet moments for an audience that can't shut up and watch the damn movie.

IT has $123 million opening weekend

That's insane. That's an excellent opening weekend for any movie, but for a horror movie, that's just unreal. I'm sure the good reviews and positive word of mouth helped, but the advertising did a bang-up job too.

Maybe they can take some other King properties that got ho-hum adaptations and do better. This wait is killing me, but it'll be worth it, I'm sure.

IT: Chapter 2 (not sure if that's the actual title) will be released on September 6, 2019.

My only concern at this point is whether they can get a group of 40-year-olds to feel like they have the same strong connection as the kids. And not have them doof around like in the miniseries.

Is it wrong that I'm getting stoked to watch the Bumblebee movie? Haley Stanfield and John Cena in 1986 being directed by the guy who did Kubo. I'm good for this.

Okay, so with the new Blade Runner 2049 out, I'd like to give the original another shot. When I tried watching it in the past, I found it pretty dry and slow paced and either fell asleep or turned it off early in.

I'd like to finally do it justice and watch it, but there are at least three different versions out there. I've asked some people before which one I should watch, but it became one of those "ask three people, get five answers" kind of deals.

So, for those who are fans of the original Blade Runner, what say you?

I think I'll enjoy it more now that I have more appreciation for film noir or detective stories. Didn't have that the last time I tried watching it (in my 20s).

I asked the question on Facebook and it's unanimous: the Final Cut. So I'll see about "legally obtaining" that and watch it tonight.

The problem with Blade Runner is the Seinfeld is Unfunny trope. I can certainly understand a new viewer thinking it's boring. The visuals were amazing when it came out, but it's been so duplicated (and frankly improved upon) that it comes across as the lesser version now.
I appreciate a good cyberpunk visual, but found it to be the only thing going for it. Trope is right though, I think there's much better stuff out there now that explores the sci-fi themes the movie was (apparently) trying to examine.

Also, the director and cast and writers can't seem to agree on what the movie was about.

Ridley Scott has become a big proponent of the "Deckard is a Replicant" theory, which, quite frankly, his own movie doesn't support. Deckard gets his ass kicked every time he tangles with a Replicant because they're superhuman. He survives through luck, experience, firepower, and backup. And in at least one case, the Replicant was more concerned about escape than killing him. Deckard feels pain - while Leon can reach into supercool gel without damage, and Pris can pull eggs out of boiling water without flinching, Deckard winces when his whiskey hits his split lip.

One of the big points of the movie is that while the Replicants are murderers, they're also afraid, facing their own mortality, and slaves to a cruel system. And you can make the case that their victims aren't innocent - all the people we see Leon and Roy kill were part of the Nexus 6 program. So in many ways, the human beings we see are shittier people than the replicants. "More human than human" indeed.

Also, the director and cast and writers can't seem to agree on what the movie was about.

Ridley Scott has become a big proponent of the "Deckard is a Replicant" theory, which, quite frankly, his own movie doesn't support. Deckard gets his ass kicked every time he tangles with a Replicant because they're superhuman. He survives through luck, experience, firepower, and backup. And in at least one case, the Replicant was more concerned about escape than killing him. Deckard feels pain - while Leon can reach into supercool gel without damage, and Pris can pull eggs out of boiling water without flinching, Deckard winces when his whiskey hits his split lip.

One of the big points of the movie is that while the Replicants are murderers, they're also afraid, facing their own mortality, and slaves to a cruel system. And you can make the case that their victims aren't innocent - all the people we see Leon and Roy kill were part of the Nexus 6 program. So in many ways, the human beings we see are shittier people than the replicants. "More human than human" indeed.
Maybe a spoiler tag when someone is talking about watching this (completely) for the first time. :p

Last edited:
It's 30 fucking years old, man. There is a statute of limitations on this shit.
That's what she said people always say.
Yet children are born into this world every day, children who don't know anything even as basic as Batman's secret identity.

--Patrick

Regardless of all that, Poe's talking about this specific situation where someone is right here talking about seeing the movie (through to the end) for the first time.

That's what she said people always say.
Yet children are born into this world every day, children who don't know anything even as basic as Batman's secret identity.

--Patrick
Go fuck yourself. That's like bitching about someone spoiling the end of The Passion Of The Christ for you. That shit's been out there as part of the culture for decades, if you're unaware of it, that's on you.

Go fuck yourself. That's like bitching about someone spoiling the end of The Passion Of The Christ for you. That shit's been out there as part of the culture for decades, if you're unaware of it, that's on you.

That's kind of aggressive.

"Hey, I'm watching The Usual Suspects tonight. I've never seen it before."
'Oh man, that's a great movie. [redacted]* was Keyser Soze the whole time!'
"Oh, well, that kinda ruins the ending for me"
'Fuck you, your fault for not watching it.'

*For Pat, as I'm certain he hasn't seen it :p

I was talking to my friends once about Neil Gaiman's Sandman. One friend had never read it and knew next to nothing about it.

So naturally, another friend blurted out, "Oh man, I was SO sad when [major moment at the end of the series] happened!"

We...stopped hanging out with that friend.

That's kind of aggressive.

"Hey, I'm watching The Usual Suspects tonight. I've never seen it before."
'Oh man, that's a great movie. [redacted]* was Keyser Soze the whole time!'
"Oh, well, that kinda ruins the ending for me"
'Fuck you, your fault for not watching it.'

*For Pat, as I'm certain he hasn't seen it :p
snape kills dumbledore

I was talking to my friends once about Neil Gaiman's Sandman. One friend had never read it and knew next to nothing about it.

So naturally, another friend blurted out, "Oh man, I was SO sad when [major moment at the end of the series] happened!"

We...stopped hanging out with that friend.
Yeah, though it's been around so long, it's such a major discovery for college-age readers that I make a firm point not to spoil what happens.