Minor victory thread

I don't think SSDs are saturating the latest SATA bus though, at 6Gbits/s, and USB3.0 is only a touch slower at 5GBits/s, so you can probably find flash drives as fast as most SSDs, and SSDs as slow as most flash drives.
Top-end SSDs today can function beyond 525MB/s (out of a possible 600MB/s) when on a SATA3 bus.
USB 3.0 SSDs in an enclosure top out around 320MB/s right now (out of a possible 400MB/s*), but not sure whether the USB or the SSD controller is to blame.

--Patrick
*USB has inherent overhead issues which lower the practical max down to 400. The theoretical max is actually 500MB/s but the USB protocol eats 20% of it and you get what's left over.

My transferring university finally processed my transcripts. Now Financial Aid just needs to get squared away and I'll be all set.

So uh, this new girl. She's pretty hot. Like indescribably. Not sure where it's going, but we appear to have clicked on a friendly level at least.

Update on the computer: Got a 4tb drive on sale for $149 from NewEgg. Put it in the old machine, which is now a Windows Server 2012, acting as a NAS server and PS3 Media Server. It's got 5tb total in storage (and .5tb for OS, more than I'll ever need), which means I can store all my pictures and music, and still have enough room for about 1000 movies.

Now it's time for the long process of ripping all of our CD's to digital, so we can stream them to the living room

Update on the computer: Got a 4tb drive on sale for $149 from NewEgg. Put it in the old machine, which is now a Windows Server 2012, acting as a NAS server and PS3 Media Server. It's got 5tb total in storage (and .5tb for OS, more than I'll ever need), which means I can store all my pictures and music, and still have enough room for about 1000 movies.

Now it's time for the long process of ripping all of our CD's to digital, so we can stream them to the living room
MAKE BACKUPS
4+TB is a lot to lose to a random power failure.

--Patrick

After 3 days of basically sitting around doing nothing while people help me install stuff, I actually will have work to do for my internship on monday.

So remember my AC going out on Memorial Day weekend? Well it finally got worked on yesterday (6 days of no AC) and thankfully the unit didn't have to be replaced. Why is this only a minor victory? Because the problem is the drainage, so the pipes are going to have to be replaced and have a temporary fix in place until that happens.

Moved across the country about a month ago, and I finally found a job! :) Not exactly what I was looking for, but I'm grateful for anything.

As you may be aware, I've been struggling for MONTHS now trying to learn Linux server creation.
Well, today, I finally got my two Linux Servers communicating successfully with my Windows based Gateway and got everything configured and working, finally. I still could not set all this up from scratch on my own, oh my no. But it's surprising how much of it I ACTUALLY understand now.

My neck finally popped, from becoming misaligned 3 months ago. The arthritis like pain down my right arm is gone, now I just have the wooziness of muscles relaxing back into place after being contorted for 3 months.

fade

Staff member
I just got back from London and Edinburgh. I had a good time. Here's some of what happened in list form:
  • I gave 4 technical presentations at the conference there. They were well received.
  • I was told that one of my talks may net a sale.
  • I saw a bunch of old friends in my field who have moved to europe.
  • I saw a lot of the major tourist attractions in both cities.
  • I drank enough beer that I will need a liver transplant. Including a lot of good locals in both cities.
  • Had local dishes, including fish and chips, mince pie, and haggis.
  • Had local friends in Edinburgh, who showed me the city. On Friday, I hiked 20 km with a friend. We hiked up two of Edinburgh's 5 hills: Blackford Hill and Arthur's Seat.
  • Got some pre-decimal coins.
  • Saw the Museum of Science in london with wine, including servers with wine bottles around every other corner to make sure we were already topped off.
  • Was offered several jobs with nice pay and signing bonuses.
/pride

I just got back from London and Edinburgh. I had a good time. Here's some of what happened in list form:
  • I gave 4 technical presentations at the conference there. They were well received.
  • I was told that one of my talks may net a sale.
  • I saw a bunch of old friends in my field who have moved to europe.
  • I saw a lot of the major tourist attractions in both cities.
  • I drank enough beer that I will need a liver transplant. Including a lot of good locals in both cities.
  • Had local dishes, including fish and chips, mince pie, and haggis.
  • Had local friends in Edinburgh, who showed me the city. On Friday, I hiked 20 km with a friend. We hiked up two of Edinburgh's 5 hills: Blackford Hill and Arthur's Seat.
  • Got some pre-decimal coins.
  • Saw the Museum of Science in london with wine, including servers with wine bottles around every other corner to make sure we were already topped off.
  • Was offered several jobs with nice pay and signing bonuses.
/pride

Might Iinquire as to why this isn't in Epic Win? Good times with friends, good job offers, exploring new parts of the world, visiting great museums and having a grand old time; the only thing missing is "....and she 's pregnant" :p

fade

Staff member
Mostly because it felt really narcissistic. I forgot to mention getting propositioned on the tube. I was dressed to the nines, which probably helped. Had my waistcoat and a nice tie.

I thought my 3 month old Lawnmower was dead. I was able to finally get it started again. That's a real manly feeling, when you fix something that you have no earthly idea how it broke in the first place.

Clogged up air filter? I've fixed more neighbor's "broken" new lawn mowers that way...
Old gas and a barely loose spark plug cable. The old air-filter did get clogged, which caused the initial failure. But the mower would not start with it off and a shot of carb cleaner.

Aaah, just got a massage after having a not-too-painfully-misogynistic-or-racist lunch with mayor and city council (aren't I a special snowflake, right?), and having a remakably cordial conversation with my HR guy at work this morning.
And I'm off work until Wednesday w/o having to take any vacation days and while still getting paid.

Yay long weekend!

My contract at work is being extended. Not as great as getting a permanent position but at least I'm not gonna be unemployed in a week. :)