Minor victory thread

The DMV lady was kind enough to leave my moving passes blank so I could fill in the date any day. And apparently if the car does fail smog, I can get a 2-month temporary registration so I'm not totally screwed waiting for my student loan checks to keep working on it. So I'm no longer in a position of "I'm 100% SOL if the car doesn't pass smog before the semester starts."

I cooked breakfast for ten people yesterday morning, and the food was all tasty. I've never cooked for so many people before.

*fist pump*

fade

Staff member
I'm putting this here rather than in my own subforum, but I have done a LOT of work on Fade lately. I pushed out the new Drupal based website, and I've done actual planning for the rest of this issue and the next. Usually, I have a story sketch, and I flesh out the pages as I go. This time I wrote an actual script, and I got a permanent editor who is not afraid to tell me when things suck. I've known her since we were kids, and I greatly respect her opinion on creative works. I've also taken some lessons, and done a lot of reading on artistic storytelling, composition, and layout--things I was weak on. I highly recommend Temple of the Seven Golden Camels to anyone artistic. It's a blog by a Disney storyboard artist (he storyboarded Tangled). Check that out checkeredhat Gusto Bumble the Boy Wonder Zappit if you haven't.

On third shift, you don't expect certain things to happen. One of them is suddenly seeing your boss appear, out of seemingly nowhere, and standing in front of your desk.

Fortunately for me, this happens to be Corrections Officer Appreciation Week, and he was there to congratulate me on 20 years of service to the state - and give me a coffee mug with our school logo on it.

Of course, a raise would have been nice, but that's not something he has control over.

I tanked my first exam in an important class, but the teacher said that if you did better on the second exam, he'd change the grade of the first exam to the score of the second one. The two exams combine to be 50% of the class. Got an 88 which changed my grade from a C in the class to an A-.

fade

Staff member
We have an offer on our house less than a week after listing. I think it's a flipper, because she came in 40000 under what I was asking, and she requires no inspection and wants to close immediately. They said they're expecting a counter, but that is a loooooooooooowball offer.

We have an offer on our house less than a week after listing. I think it's a flipper, because she came in 40000 under what I was asking, and she requires no inspection and wants to close immediately. They said they're expecting a counter, but that is a loooooooooooowball offer.
Fuck that.

fade

Staff member
The buyer agent actually works in the same office as our agent. Our agent says it's not a flipper, but because the seller agent knows we've taken the house off the market before, there's blood in the water. I countered at -15k off our asking. Our house could use updating, but I've already lowered the asking price to reflect that. It's less than comparable houses, esp. 3100 sq ft two story houses, which are reasonably rare in that town.

fade

Staff member
We sent out counter. We have other interested buyers waiting to hear. I tell you, the market for a seller is totally different than it was one year ago. We had hardly any showings and only one offer then, and it was on the market a while. I can tell consumer confidence is up. As soon as we sent out counter, the bidder came back with a carpenter. Seems promising. Fingers crossed, etc.

We sent out counter. We have other interested buyers waiting to hear. I tell you, the market for a seller is totally different than it was one year ago. We had hardly any showings and only one offer then, and it was on the market a while. I can tell consumer confidence is up. As soon as we sent out counter, the bidder came back with a carpenter. Seems promising. Fingers crossed, etc.
That is very good to hear. We're putting our house on the market next month and then hoping to buy before everything bounces back too much.

Cajungal

Staff member
I did a chapel today about taking our gifts for granted. You know when you forget your talents because you're just so "close" to them, and they don't seem as cool as other people's talents? I'd heard some kinds comparing themselves to their friends, and it gave me the idea. I asked students to define feeling "ordinary" and explain the connotation they get from it.

So I got to play this song:

...which always makes me feel happy. So then I heard some kids saying, "hey, that's pretty green!" when a kid did or said something cool. It was a good morning. ^_^

Doing chapel reminds me of when I was a kid and told mom and dad I wanted to be Protestant instead, because the Catholics wouldn't let me be a priest. I'm glad that getting in front of a congregation delivering uplifting messages is part of my life.

fade

Staff member
Ah, this may quickly go to rant territory. There is a crack in the brick veneer that we put in the disclosure. The buyers want to accept the offer contingent on a foundation inspection. Ugh. I don't think there is anything to worry about. I see no evidence of foundation problems. But I can't say that for certain. We do have a lot of trees. If they find a problem, we are required to fix it, and to disclose the find and repair to anyone else interested. Foundation repair can be really expensive.

WHOO! 2 footchases, 2 burglars in custody, caught red-handed by my team. DAMN I've missed this!

Of course, I'm amped all to hell, and have to be up in 3 hours, but still... WHOO!

Whoo! First thunderstorm with more than 2 lightning strikes that we've had since July 4th... 2010? Something like that.

fade

Staff member
I stopped paying for the streaming part of Netflix nearly a year ago, and they never shut it off.

Built me a new machine a couple days ago. I got my last new machine in 2007. I'm a bit jazzed. :)

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified

MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

AMD Radeon™ RE1600 Entertainment Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory AE316G1609U2K

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2 Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04

got it all for a hair under $900 with rebates

Payday directly deposited with OT. AT&T bill can wait for the next payday. Just need to take care of remaining Comcast bill and car insurance this time around. Go me. :)

The performance boost isn't really worth the cost of an SSD by today's prices, in my opinion. It looks like it does much the same thing as ReadyBoost, which I could take advantage of without any additional outlay of cash.
I was thinking the limit of ReadyBoost was only 4GB, but it looks like that only applies to sticks that are formatted in FAT32. Win7 and up can support (NTFS-formatted) drives up to 32GB in size, and it looks like ReadyBoost supports multiple flash sticks, which I did not know. The more, the merrier! The biggest advantage of the SSD method is that it is SATA and so not limited to USB speeds when caching writes.

--Patrick