Minor victory thread

J

JCM

For the past three months I've been using my neighbor's 15mb internet connection, which has the "multilaser" wifi network name and the basic 12345678 password.

For the past three months I've been using my neighbor's 15mb internet connection, which has the "multilaser" wifi network name and the basic 12345678 password.
Welp, that convinces me to change the password on my wifi. No reason in particular.

By this time next week I could be working seasonally for EITHER of the two big insurance companies in town. Don't want to jinx it, but this could be a big step for me.

J

JCM

Holy shit... how human instinct takes over when your wife is pregnant....

For the first time ever, after having been flying nationally and abroad ever since I was nine, I actually had a panic attack knowing today afternoon I would take a hour-hour flight to São Paulo.

Thanks to the internet and moping over lists of major air accidents in Brazil, and seeing that there were less plane accidents per year than bus accidents in a day, with better survival rates (only two commercial airplane accidents here killed all passengers), I finally calmed down.

I just completed and submitted a job application for the first time after a while of giving up on it. I'm feeling good about myself. Even if I did have to fudge some information I couldn't find.

REceived word today that I will be getting "at least" a three month contract extension. This is good news and a relief because my current contract ends in little over a month, but it's only a minor victory because I still don't know for 100% certainty the absolute length of my extension and so I don't know if it's safe for me to start looking for a new apartment yet. Last time I got an apartment with a 3 month contract, I then suffered through 4 months of unemployment and maxed out my credit card and lost the apartment. I want to have something long term lined up this time. Like, at least 6 months.

My boss just got done telling me that I have permission to leave at noon today and that I will still get paid for the full day!

So now I get to start my long weekend early :)

Pumpkin tiramisu is in the fridge. First time I've ever made tiramisu let alone one with pumpkin as part of the filling. Had to substitute a few ingredients (like pound cake for ladyfingers and I used Kona coffee in place of rum because of the kids), but it should be good.

Pumpkin tiramisu is in the fridge. First time I've ever made tiramisu let alone one with pumpkin as part of the filling. Had to substitute a few ingredients (like pound cake for ladyfingers and I used Kona coffee in place of rum because of the kids), but it should be good.
Let me know how it is, I may need the recipe. :)

Just won our company 50/50 draw! $83 smackers, wooo!

And donated right to the Salvation Army family the company is supporting this Christmas, double wooo!

My best friend just engaged! Very happy for him and his fiancee, she's a really sweet girl, and not to jump the gun, but there's a good chance I'll be a best man within the next year or so.

Woohoo! Drunken bridesmaids!
On THAT note:

MINOR VICTORY: The girl I saw for a few months from OKCupid, and then moved away to Creemore for a while, is back in Waterloo! She's still not ready for an exclusive relationship, not until she gets a steady job (read: lifestyle) and can move onto pursuing a relationship, but in the meantime, we'll continue to hang out with each other and at least she's interested in working UP to dating me. I have no reason to believe I'm being led on.

figmentPez

Staff member
Finally upgrading to a smart phone. I'm surprised that may parents (who pay the majority of my bills) thought it would be useful enough to me to justify the extra $30 for the data plan. Ended up choosing an HTC Vivid, and I hope that choice doesn't come back to bite me in the ass. Should be fun, and my previous Humble Bundle purchases have left me with some games to install when I get it.

Bought a gift for my wife that wasn't on her wishlist and I wasn't sure she would like, but I figured I'd take a chance and it seemed like it was her thing.

Today I go on her wishlist and discover she added it a couple days ago. So now I know she'll like it :D.

Oh God yes.... miles better. I've heard straight razors are even better, with a little practice, but have yet to actually try it... I usually shave in the shower, so...

Oh God yes.... miles better. I've heard straight razors are even better, with a little practice, but have yet to actually try it... I usually shave in the shower, so...
Current weapon of choice, produced 1957...

Got a big lot of NOS Super Stainless blades dated ~1980 that have held their edge just fine. Should last at least 2 more years before I need to even think about buying more blades. :)