Minor victory thread

Mom should be getting discharged from the hospital today, as she is now able to breathe normally and regulate oxygen appropriately.

So...I may soon have my own house.

35 minutes outside the city, a bit of a drive...but the prive is better than I have ever hoped for at 145, 000. It's currently deserted so I might even be able to talk the price down lower since its been on the market for a year! Also, a cross town is opening in a little under a year so the commute will be lessened by about 15-20 minutes.

1/2 acre of land as well.

So..anyone have advice?

Good to hear. How are things looking in the long-term?
Long term is tough to say at this point. Chemo starts tomorrow, and even that's just to stave things off long enough so she's healthy enough for surgery to see how widespread everything is. So, we're at least two months away from really knowing how long a term we even have at this point.

So...I may soon have my own house.

35 minutes outside the city, a bit of a drive...but the prive is better than I have ever hoped for at 145, 000. It's currently deserted so I might even be able to talk the price down lower since its been on the market for a year! Also, a cross town is opening in a little under a year so the commute will be lessened by about 15-20 minutes.

1/2 acre of land as well.

So..anyone have advice?

How many square feet? When was the home built? What's the condition like? Comes with appliances? Getting a home inspection? What part of Newfoundland?

How many square feet? When was the home built? What's the condition like? Comes with appliances? Getting a home inspection? What part of Newfoundland?
1) Not sure about square footage BUT I'm bringing a measuring tape next time. :) (2) About 35 years old. (3 and 5) Since this would be our first house I'm bringing my fatherinlaw along for a viewing since his work is house inspections. (4) Comes with a stove and fridge. need to updated. (6) Holyrood, about 35 minutes outside of town. :)

North_Ranger

Staff member
1) Not sure about square footage BUT I'm bringing a measuring tape next time. :) (2) About 35 years old. (3 and 5) Since this would be our first house I'm bringing my fatherinlaw along for a viewing since his work is house inspections. (4) Comes with a stove and fridge. need to updated. (6) Holyrood, about 35 minutes outside of town. :)
Dum de dum dum... Oh, never mind me, I'm just making notes and checking Google Map for... uh... a project. :D

We have to know the square footage to be able to tell you if it's a good deal or not ;). At 35 years old, one of the first things you should check is if the house has aluminum wiring. Old aluminum wiring is not good. If your dad works doing house inspections then you probably don't need me making a laundry list of crap to check. As long as the stove and fridge work... they are good for now. 35 minutes from St. Johns... not a bad commute really.

What do you use for heating there? Propane? Natural gas? Heating oil? (just curious, my wife is from St. Lawrence but I can't remember what they use there).

We have to know the square footage to be able to tell you if it's a good deal or not ;). At 35 years old, one of the first things you should check is if the house has aluminum wiring. Old aluminum wiring is not good. If your dad works doing house inspections then you probably don't need me making a laundry list of crap to check. As long as the stove and fridge work... they are good for now. 35 minutes from St. Johns... not a bad commute really.

What do you use for heating there? Propane? Natural gas? Heating oil? (just curious, my wife is from St. Lawrence but I can't remember what they use there).
In my current rental we pay about 400.00 in oil heat per month during the winter on top of our 650 in rent. The house we're looking at is all electrical heat...and has a wood stove in the basement.

The real estate agent says that there's been new siding, windows, and electrical done with in the last 5 years.

I can't wait to get a good look inside. Time was not on our side the past weekend. :(

$400 a month!!!!

For the new place is there any way you can request copies of the old bills to get an idea of what you're looking at?[DOUBLEPOST=1351715203][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and my minor victory...the fantastic Diet Coke shirt I found to wear today!!!

figmentPez

Staff member
No trick-or-treaters showed up at our apartment. This means I get to eat the candy I bought. Lots of Reese's cups, pieces and fast breaks, and some Butterfinger too.

Went back to work for the first time in over a month. It's a minor victory because I only made it through half the day. Baby steps, Ferretina, baby steps.

figmentPez

Staff member
I have a bit of an obsession with tea at the moment.
1101121828-01.jpg

24 different types of tea; herbal, green, black, caf and decaf. Only four of the boxes were from my parent's house, bought but left unbrewed. The rest I bought because I love tea.

Yeah, if it were a true, hardcore obsession, I'm pretty sure I would hear about it. And I haven't heard about tea, really. I seriously didn't know you like tea so much...that's kind of fun.

My minor victory? I got to skype with my cosplay sister, for the first time, today!! We were both so excited we couldn't do anything but squeal and wiggle around for a few minutes before we could talk. With skype, it makes it more okay that I don't get to see her that often.

Hell yeah, Earl Grey. My second favorite tea, so far. And it's a close second to a good, smoky Russian Caravan.

Got headhunted for a job in Burnaby. Somewhat interested because it's office is across the street from where my wife works when she's in Burnaby. So we'd actually be working across the street from each other if we moved down there. It's a bit of a karmic coinkydink that makes the idea of moving seem less HORRIBAD. The job itself is kinda snoozy: Product Support Manager which I suspect is like running a help desk. :thumbsdown:

Cajungal

Staff member
The pain in my back in finally gone, and I think I'm out of tears. Amazing what happens when you're honest. I opened up to my loved ones about the stress I've been feeling in my new position at work. I knew Jake would be supportive, but I was worried about getting little more than "walk it off" from mom and dad. While they did tell me to try and stay positive, they were also really empathetic and made me feel better. Things are looking up, and it's nice to be rid of that weird soreness that was going on.