Minor victory thread

S

SeraRelm

besides audible range, there can still be vibrational sensory input via touch.

Yes, that's what I (she) said.

I just found some old school music on my hard drive I hadn't heard in over a decade. Now I feel like a teenager again. :D

figmentPez

Staff member
I can see how going to a greater dynamic range than 16 bit might help, but I still can't figure out how going higher than 44 kHz can help much. That's sufficient to reproduce the frequencies that the average human ear can hear. Your average audiophile must have much better ears than mine is all I can say.
I've heard something about those higher frequencies interacting with echoes and other ambient effects, kind of like the argument against compressed audio (you don't hear it directly, but indirectly), but I'm not sure how much I buy it.

I love spicy food as do most people I know, so I'm confused.
It must be where I've lived. Most of my co-workers freaked whenever I brought something even moderately (to me) spicy for them to try.
I must have worked with a bunch of wusses.
I'll send you some of my jambalaya. Let me know what you think.

I got inducted into Psi Chi today. I'm only putting it under minor because all you need is a 3.4 or higher GPA in your psych major and 40 bucks :p

While kinda cool, I don't know if it's something that grad schools are going to be wetting themselves in anticipation about me attending their schools about.
Maybe not but it should be a good place to make contacts that could help you with your future career.

This is just begging for a cyber-hipster talk to about listening to vinyl on his mastoid bone-induction implant.

fade

Staff member
You know I wrote that while I was boxing up a mother's day gift, and I take it back. Where you'll really hear the difference will be in sharp, short duration things like drum beats and high hats. Those things contain frequencies beyond human hearing, but many frequencies are required to produce sharp events.

I've heard something about those higher frequencies interacting with echoes and other ambient effects, kind of like the argument against compressed audio (you don't hear it directly, but indirectly), but I'm not sure how much I buy it.
Yeah, that. Harmonics/overtones and their interplay combine to add a lot (something called the Nyquist frequency, I think...the auditory equivalent of Moiré patterns). And I'm pretty sure there's something about digital audio having a hard time accurately reproducing frequencies higher than 1/4 the sample rate.

See, you already get hard-limited to 1/2 the sample rate since 44kHz just really means it can "hear" oscillations (peak-to-trough-and-back-again) as high as 22kHz. Anything higher than 22kHz gets lost because it simply transitions faster (high-low-high) than the sampler can detect and so is completely lost.

On top of that, as the frequency being recorded gets higher and higher, the resolution goes lower and lower since the sample rate is linear across the band, but frequencies are logarithmic, doubling at every octave. Basically, this means that the higher the frequency goes, the more distorted and "stair-step" the waveform will become (no matter what its original envelope might've been), until, at 22kHz, everything collapses to some form of square wave, simply because it would be impossible to be anything else. Think of it like running a video game with AntiAliasing turned off. The lower your screen resolution, the more likely you are going to be able to notice the "jaggies" along the edges. Increasing the sample rate to 96kHz is like moving your game from a 1280x768 monitor to 2560x1536...it means that you now get no noticeable auditory "jaggies" all the way up to 24kHz (96/4=24), which is something you really notice* when you listen to music that has a lot of highs in it (cymbals, trumpet, oboe, violin, or most of all, pipe organ).

tl:dr; CDs are great for bass and anything else up to about 11kHz, but there's a good reason that rabid audiophiles aren't happy with them.

--Patrick
*Seriously. You'd notice. You might decide you don't care, but you'll definitely hear the difference.

fade

Staff member
Well, the Nyquist frequency is just the frequency that can be correctly reconstructed at a given sampling rate. The Nyquist frequency was the grounds for choosing 44.1 kHz in the first place, because it's defined as 1/2 the sampling rate. I'm not sure what you mean by "frequencies are logarithmic". Certainly they double at every octave, but that's the definition of octave. Notes are logarithmic, but not frequencies in general. The sample rate is linear across time, but it's continuous in the frequency domain from DC to 22.05 kHz. The ADC doesn't operate in the frequency domain. Whether high frequencies get clipped into square waves depends on the reconstruction software in your player. A DAC should interpolate onto a sine wave, which would mean that it should be able to exactly represent the 22.1kHz wave (but no more). That is the Nyquist theorem. It shouldn't alias at all. It shouldn't remain blocky. In the video game analogy, you're saying that you know what the edge of a curve looks like, you just took the min number of points required to represent it. If you drew that curve by connecting those samples, sure, it'd be a square wave (like a computer graphic). But the DAC works by assuming it knows what the curve looked like, and it uses the points you provided to reconstruct the curve exactly--up to the Nyquist frequency. This is the way a DAC works in your typical data recorder. Whether your standard CD chip does this, I'm not sure.

A different graphics analogy would be vector graphics. You can represent a circle as three points. If you try to connect the dots, you'll get a triangle, which of course a terrible representation of a circle. But if you know that the dots represent a circle, those three dots should be sufficient to reconstruct the circle exactly. Any less than three dots (below the Nyquist), and you couldn't do it.

If your player is directly playing the digital waveform, then sure. I very much agree that sharp sounds, which include things like the hard edge of a brass note or a high hat will certainly sound better at 96 kHz. The sharper the sound is, the more frequency content it contains. That goes a long way to improving the sound of a piece of music. People tune into that as a quality indicator. So yes, I agree that on those grounds, it will definitely sound better. I totally acknowledge that, to be clear.

TL;DR: Agree that 96 kHz should sound better, disagree that a player with a proper DAC chip can't play 22.05 kHz without alias.

I should say this is what I do for a job. I actually taught signal processing for about 6 years. First in EE, then in geophysics. I actually just spent a few months investigating applying the MP3 method of preserving/recovering high frequencies in seismic data.

fade

Staff member
You know what? I stand partially corrected. I just looked up the typical DAC in an audio player. It IS voltage-hold. Meaning it doesn't reconstruct or interpolate, it just turns every sample into a level voltage, which would turn 22.05 into a perfect square wave. Still a good upconverting player is probably interpolating and upsampling before the DAC.

I got inducted into Psi Chi today. I'm only putting it under minor because all you need is a 3.4 or higher GPA in your psych major and 40 bucks :p

While kinda cool, I don't know if it's something that grad schools are going to be wetting themselves in anticipation about me attending their schools about.
I never qualified when I was an undergrad. I can still join, though! I may someday...

For the last week or so my internet connection had dropped in speed dramatically. I finally had a chance to replace my modem. Connection went from .5mbps to 30mbps. Not much of an improvement but it will do.

.5 to 30 isn't much of an improvement? Man, I hate living in the US, with all of our slow-ass "broadband" internet. 30 is my max at home.

figmentPez

Staff member
For the last week or so my internet connection had dropped in speed dramatically. I finally had a chance to replace my modem. Connection went from .5mbps to 30mbps. Not much of an improvement but it will do.
That's almost the same story here. For weeks our internet had been fluctuating wildly. Some days it would be fast, and other days even the lowest quality Youtube videos would buffer. Checked and found our modem was "end of life", and since we've replaced it everything has been super-fast.

Stranger "What are you doing?"
HCGLNS "I am engaging my son in an ancient game of strategy, balance, accuracy, hand eye coordination and determination."
Stranger "But you're just standing in the mud throwing rocks at each other?"
HCGLNS "Oh so you know the rules!"

I have just put a down payment on an apartment to call my own.
It's not the nicest place- it's a basement- and it's not really, TECHNICALLY still in Toronto (It's right by the airport, and technically part of Mississauga. It's basically right on the border of Brampton, Mississauga and Toronto).
But it's CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAP and spacious, and it's all mine. I've been graduated from college for over a year now but since September I have just been crashing at friends' places, which doesn't do much to make me feel very successful. I'll finally have a space to myself come June. I'd rather live in Peter Parker's apartment from the second Spider-Man movie than continue to impose on my friends like this, so this is a huge step up.

I broke down 2 sever racks from 1998.
We're finally getting rid of our old server racks too. They aren't really server racks, but 2 networking racks set up so it could be used like a server rack. Except the mounting equipment for most servers didn't work in it. Damn I'll be happy to get rid of that thing.

Huzzah! I finally achieved a restful night's sleep last night/this morning. Apparently, I should have skipped the melatonin, and just gone with booze, as a nice snifter of brandy did the trick (albeit, after several hours of sipping away).

Teaching my daughter how to bake today. We've measured and mixed, stirred and seasoned.

"What's next Daddy?"

"Next is the hardest part. You put the dough on the cookie sheet while trying to stop people from stealing it."

Sweet revenge.

My wife, who usually "tolerates" my gaming with an eyeroll and maybe a comment or two about "the other woman," is currently playing Skyrim. And making comments like "What? Bitch, if I want your man, I'll TAKE him!"

Dear Lord, what have I done. *grins nervously*

Woof, why is teaching children life lessons so tiresome?
Because normally, you get good at something by doing it over and over again until you get good at it. Difficult to do with Life. They're still on their initial run-through. They think they'll be able to min/max later.

--Patrick

Minor victory... and maybe minor inconvinience for the forums?

A famous spanish comic book artist retweeted me!

...but the link included a picture hosted here...

Dave, I hope this doesn't break us!

Dave

Staff member
Which picture? And I think we have the bandwidth. After the Kanye thing I juiced us up pretty good.