Minor victory thread

Sounds like you're used to it then. I swear until I got my yellow lab I could go weeks without having to sweep. Now if I go a week I get fur tumbleweeds rolling across the floor.

Week brightened up a little.

Friend of mine brought me this from the Calgary Comic-Con.

Stan Lee's signature included.

M

makare

hehe i cant wait to get home to my dogs. I miss them all. I love our chocolate lab, Venus. She is such a bitch in every sense of the word. We have a lot in common.

I'm going to stick this here for now, because my brother's not out of the woods yet; but today was supposed to be really touch-and-go all day as the doctors were going to remove his breathing tube and bring him back up out of sedation, and they weren't sure he'd be able to handle breathing on his own and were concerned that his blood pressure would keep spiking (like it did all day yesterday whenever they tried to bring him around); but my mom called just before I left the house for work to tell me that they removed the tube and when she got to the hospital he was sitting up in bed watching TV and chatting. And, apparently he was self aware enough to immediately ask for something expensive :)

It's been a long two days. Luckily my boss is really good when it comes to family emergencies and told me to just readjust my schedule as needed.

ALMOST met the deadline for my scenes this week. When I actually meet the deadline I'll be happier. This animation gig is kicking my ass and I've been way behind quota and have been way behind the production schedule as well for every episode so far, but this week, I came *THIS* close. I can do this.
I'm definitely improving.

You breaking minimum wage? A friend of mine did a bunch of work for shows like My Dad the Rock Star and this terrible looking spy cartoon that I can't remember the name of. I know he'd always bitch and moan whenever he'd be assigned action heavy sequences because he'd barely scratch over minimum wage for the amount of work he'd do.

iiiiiiiIIIIIIIIII'm not sure I should discuss my wage on a public forum when I signed an NDA and the show's still in production. I have to be pretty vague about what I say about my job, particularly online.

No, it didn't, but I still feel like it's something they'd frown upon, and anybody could choose to interpret the wording of the NDA to include things like wage. This is my first paying animation job and so I'm just being extra careful.

Another minor victory:
I received my tax return today and paid off about half my credit card debt! WOOOOO!
And I'm going to the Toronto Rock round 1 playoff game tonight, then to the bar!

Cajungal

Staff member
Mmm, it's Food Fest day at Fresh Pickens' produce market. Free lunch! I had a tiny sample of 10-15 awesome things. :D

M

makare

well what I thought was if that is the case any time you send your financial information to someone for some reason you would be violating the nda. That doesn't seem right.

your nda said you can't tell people how much you got paid? that's weird.
I wouldn't find it too surprising. Mine did.
I would think there are limitations. I can apply for credit/loans, answer surveys, etc. I can talk about what *I* make, I presume
the NDA is there to keep me from talking to somebody like Dice about what the scale for my position (or market) might be.

--Patrick

No, it didn't, but I still feel like it's something they'd frown upon, and anybody could choose to interpret the wording of the NDA to include things like wage. This is my first paying animation job and so I'm just being extra careful.
Hopefully you GET paid. I still haven't been paid for my last week of work on the movie I did earlier this year, which ended March 16.

I wouldn't find it too surprising. Mine did.
I would think there are limitations. I can apply for credit/loans, answer surveys, etc. I can talk about what *I* make, I presume
the NDA is there to keep me from talking to somebody like Dice about what the scale for my position (or market) might be.

--Patrick
Yeah, it's basically a way to control payroll. It's so they can get away with paying more experienced people less than they are worth, while simultaneously stopping competitors from making better offers. It's why they need to teach contract negotiation in college/high school.

Hopefully you GET paid. I still haven't been paid for my last week of work on the movie I did earlier this year, which ended March 16.
I have thus far omly had to wait about 4 days from invoice to receiving a cheque, and that's including Saturday and Sunday. They've definitely been good about it.

Dude storms out when I wouldn't let him use the company credit card when he wasn't on the list of reservations they sent.

One guy gets mad, but I get pats on the back from management both here and there. :)

M

makare

tonight two of my friends and I planned a small christmas themed grad celebration. We made cornish hen, asparagus, mashed potatoes with herb butter, and stuffing. Then I also made fruit dip with sliced strawberries and kiwi, chocolate covered peanut butter ritz sandwiches, and olive penguins. And we had egg nog.

I am stuffed.

We watched Nightmare Before Christmas and had a great time

Also Im really really stuffed.

I got inducted into Psi Chi today. I'm only putting it under minor because all you need is a 3.4 or higher GPA in your psych major and 40 bucks :p

While kinda cool, I don't know if it's something that grad schools are going to be wetting themselves in anticipation about me attending their schools about.

Ditched XM after a decade once they started with daily "did you get our bill?" phone calls. One of the radios was still in the middle of an annual subscription instead of a quarterly, so I was owed a refund for the unused portion. Got a check for $72 and change from them yesterday.

I've got my iPhone plugged into the car stereo, so there's Pandora for music, and other apps for ESPN Radio, etc. And none of the male enhancement or investment scam ads.

MY BOSS said:
well done Derek! just sent the notes, a couple whee tweaks, but WOW! nice job on this one!
MY BOSS ALSO said:
Derek, this is what we are looking for and you are getting it! Thanks for the hard work! :)
This, combined with

Has helped to lift my spirits and re-energized me slightly. Maybe I can finish those two other scenes after all!

I'm not sure if this is a minor victory or a minor need to reexamine my life, but the local place I like to order delicious foods from knows my voice to the point where I think he can predict what I'm going to order.

fade

Staff member
LP... hmm. It's analog, true... but it also is limited by the mechanical limitations of the needle on your turntable and the filtering characteristics of the transducer and the needle on the original recording device. Not to mention the travel distance possible in a vinyl groove.

As well as how many times it has been played, how worn the needle is, whether or not you are compensating for the RIAA rumble, and all that. Still gonna sound a lot better than 16bit/44kHz, especially at the high end (above 11kHz).

(I didn't used to think so. Then I got a sound card capable of doing 110dB at 24bit/192kHz. Trust me, you can tell.)

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
I can see how going to a greater dynamic range than 16 bit might help, but I still can't figure out how going higher than 44 kHz can help much. That's sufficient to reproduce the frequencies that the average human ear can hear. Your average audiophile must have much better ears than mine is all I can say.