Minor victory thread

figmentPez

Staff member
I forgot to mention this on the day, but last week I had lunch at The Hobbit Cafe, (which sounds like some dumb tourist trap, and it kinda looks like one, but it's been around since the 70s. It was originally a vegetarian restaurant, but they've served meat as long as I've known about it.) I haven't been down there since before the pandemic, so I was really happy to go back. The food is even better than I remembered, and they've added some new menu items like queso fries (which were fantastic). I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a casual place to dine in Houston.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention this on the day, but last week I had lunch at The Hobbit Cafe, (which sounds like some dumb tourist trap, and it kinda looks like one, but it's but it's been around since the 70s. It was originally a vegetarian restaurant, but they've served meat as long as I've known about it.) I haven't been down there since before the pandemic, so I was really happy to go back. The food is even better than I remembered, and they've added some new menu items like queso fries (which were fantastic). I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a casual place to dine in Houston.
We ate there last year for the first time in forever. Some of the stuff they had on the walls at the original location don’t seem to be around any more, but could have just been in a room we didn’t see. It’s a neat little restaurant in the Upper Kirby area. Those queso fries are great.

Finished drilling out the bolts in our 100yr-old boiler (essentially the same model as this one) so I could replace them after they rusted through causing the front door of the boiler to fall off and expose the firebox to our basement. It took five bits and almost TWELVE hours total of drilling with my Bosch hand drill (spread out over a 2+ day period) to ensure I only drilled out the bolts and didn't perforate the water jacket because we can NOT afford to have someone come in and replace the boiler, all the plumbing, and remove the ancient asbestos insulation, etc right now.

Why only a minor victory? Because this will probably only last another 10-20yrs at which point it'll have to all be replaced anyway. Maybe by then we'll have moved, or be rich. Or both. I can dream.

--Patrick

Over the last three weeks, I've been taking free lessons at a local HEMA fencing club (rapier) in order to motivate myself into Doing A Sport again. It's been pretty demanding, because as it turns out, swords are heavy as hell, but also very fun, and I've officially joined up as a paying member. So that's pretty cool.

When I was in boot camp, those two girls in the front eyeballing the camera would be about to get an earful for not keeping eyes front.

I remember the day we were allowed to have visitors and walk freely around the boot camp area of the base with them to show them around, and I said so many times "I don't know what that building is. I was never allowed to look over that direction."

When I was in boot camp, those two girls in the front eyeballing the camera would be about to get an earful for not keeping eyes front.

I remember the day we were allowed to have visitors and walk freely around the boot camp area of the base with them to show them around, and I said so many times "I don't know what that building is. I was never allowed to look over that direction."
Yep, my 5 foot nothing Korean descent DI would have been all up, or at least as up as he could get, in their grills about eyes front and don’t worry about what that airman is doing because it is t any of your business.

Finally got to try a paw paw fruit, which also happens to be the largest fruit native to North America. Been meaning to for years since they're native to the area but are fiendishly difficult to preserve/transport/cook/etc so they aren't widely available off-season. The flavor of the white flesh is very similar to that of a pear, though with a texture closer to that of a mango.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Things are going really well with the new girlfriend. We've been dating for just over 3 weeks now. I've brought her to thanksgiving to meet the family and gone over to a large gathering of my friends with her as my plus 1, and even started taking her to company "after hours" events. I had all of thanksgiving week off and we basically spent all of it together, and every night I'm either staying at her place or she's staying at mine. Even Nibbles has come to accept her and seek out attention from her. We're already kicking around the idea of her moving in in a couple months when her lease gets up.

I've not ever had a relationship moving this fast or go this well right from the start. It makes me a little nervous tbh.

Things are going really well with the new girlfriend. We've been dating for just over 3 weeks now. I've brought her to thanksgiving to meet the family and gone over to a large gathering of my friends with her as my plus 1, and even started taking her to company "after hours" events. I had all of thanksgiving week off and we basically spent all of it together, and every night I'm either staying at her place or she's staying at mine. Even Nibbles has come to accept her and seek out attention from her. We're already kicking around the idea of her moving in in a couple months when her lease gets up.

I've not ever had a relationship moving this fast or go this well right from the start. It makes me a little nervous tbh.

breaking-news (1).png

I've sold a couple whistles, but I'm not going gangbusters advertising them for sale. *I* like them, but it comes down to what other whistlers think. So, I figured I'd go slow and let the buyers talk about them if they were excited about it (as whistlers often are if they like their new instruments)

Well, my first organic review came in:
1701105178384.png

1701105261847.png

This kind of attention and engagement is much better than anything I could've said myself to try to hype the whistles.

Dave

Staff member

I met Kerri in January 1993. We married in July 1993. Sam was born December 1993. That was 30 years ago.

It is possible, just saying.

I've sold a couple whistles, but I'm not going gangbusters advertising them for sale. *I* like them, but it comes down to what other whistlers think. So, I figured I'd go slow and let the buyers talk about them if they were excited about it (as whistlers often are if they like their new instruments)

Well, my first organic review came in:
View attachment 46647
View attachment 46648

This kind of attention and engagement is much better than anything I could've said myself to try to hype the whistles.
What is your store link?

What is your store link?
Well, I sold them via conversation/paypal. I have them up on Etsy as well, but my Etsy page is kind of sparse and lame ;)

I forgot to mention this on the day, but last week I had lunch at The Hobbit Cafe, (which sounds like some dumb tourist trap, and it kinda looks like one, but it's been around since the 70s. It was originally a vegetarian restaurant, but they've served meat as long as I've known about it.) I haven't been down there since before the pandemic, so I was really happy to go back. The food is even better than I remembered, and they've added some new menu items like queso fries (which were fantastic). I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a casual place to dine in Houston.
My bachelor lunch was there. I love the food but you have to get there way early.

I'm grading final papers and discovered that two of my students let AI completely write their papers. I suspected something was up when these two knuckleheads, who normally write at a grammar school level, suddenly wrote at a university standard. I dug a little further and found their papers were 100% generated. That's two more for the Academic Affairs pile.

Sneaky little hobbitses. They think faculty are too old to catch on with technology. I cut my teeth on Atari 2600 and the Apple IIe. I've been gaming longer than they've been alive.

I put a student in front of the Academic Integrity Review Board last week. One of her papers was 100% AI-generated. I got suspicious of her previous work and ran another paper through the AI detector. It came back at 93%. She claimed it was all her work. I didn't buy it. She's failing my class, of course. The board meeting was to determine what other penalties she should have. That's when she finally fessed up. My original recommendation was a permanent black mark on her student record. I decided to downgrade my recommendation to a temporary mark, which will go away so long as she doesn't pull another stunt like that.

I am now garnering a reputation among the students as a reasonable and funny professor, but don't you dare cheat.

I've said many times that I'm sitting on a long list of Steam keys from bundles over the years. I'm not even subscribed to Humble Choice anymore because their offerings were lacking over the years.

I really wanted the current Uplifting Adventures bundle for the most of the list. But I also didn't want to spend more on games these days. So, I posted on a Facebook group that trades keys.

One person very kindly bought and sent me the whole bundle in exchange for some games! In exchange, he got Desperados 3, Necromunda, Rogue Heroes, Killsquad, and Werewolf Apocalypse. Honestly, Necromunda and Desperados are two relatively bigger games so I feel like he got the better deal out of it, but I also got to clear some keys and get all the games I wanted it. So I'm calling it a win-win.