Minor victory thread

GasBandit

Staff member
Occasionally I stop by local pawn shops on my way back from lunch to see if they have anything I might want to snag for cheap (usually my goal is to find a minifridge for my office for less than $40 that doesn't smell wierd, but the search continues on that front).

Today I did so, and was pleasantly surprised to find this little beauty on sale for $250.

That's a Ruger 22/45 Mk 3, which typically goes for $400-$600. Very similar to the Mk2 my Dad gifted me (of which I've spoken a few times in the past). Guess I'm starting up a bit of a collection! It needs a little cleaning and love, as the previous owner doesn't look to have been too conscientious about that sort of thing. The slide is a little cruddy and there's a gouge in the grip that needs sanding, otherwise it causes a little irritation when holding, but apart from that it looks good! Can hardly wait to clean it up, rub in some oil, and plink some cans out in the boonies.

This can't really compete with shorts, a sexy pose while wearing shorts or a gun, but these were so pretty, I almost forgot to buy food at the grocery store. I just did a whole bunch of kid portraits and I'll set up my macro studio once they're in bed. I can't wait to see what my real cameras do with these!

IMG_9892.JPG

That's a Ruger 22/45 Mk 3, which typically goes for $400-$600. Very similar to the Mk2 my Dad gifted me (of which I've spoken a few times in the past). Guess I'm starting up a bit of a collection! It needs a little cleaning and love, as the previous owner doesn't look to have been too conscientious about that sort of thing. The slide is a little cruddy and there's a gouge in the grip that needs sanding,.
Looks like it might have a scope mount, too?

--Patrick

I have the body of a diseased 90 year old. I only made it through the rose pictures for the presentation I'm doing for my daughter's group and then it hurt to lift foam board. The calla lilies must wait until the morning.

The kid portraits didn't happen :(. Evidently my new film camera has a switch for which type of battery I'm using. My daughter will happily repose. My son ....

FML.

Occasionally I stop by local pawn shops on my way back from lunch to see if they have anything I might want to snag for cheap (usually my goal is to find a minifridge for my office for less than $40 that doesn't smell wierd, but the search continues on that front).

Today I did so, and was pleasantly surprised to find this little beauty on sale for $250.

That's a Ruger 22/45 Mk 3, which typically goes for $400-$600. Very similar to the Mk2 my Dad gifted me (of which I've spoken a few times in the past). Guess I'm starting up a bit of a collection! It needs a little cleaning and love, as the previous owner doesn't look to have been too conscientious about that sort of thing. The slide is a little cruddy and there's a gouge in the grip that needs sanding, otherwise it causes a little irritation when holding, but apart from that it looks good! Can hardly wait to clean it up, rub in some oil, and plink some cans out in the boonies.
Go eat some barbecue, and say "howdy" to complete your Texas trifecta.

Got the last two boxes in the master bedroom unpacked. Progress!

Any ladies on here take a shoe size 10 (or men shoe size 8-9)? I have some shoes that don't fit in the closet that I need to get rid of.

For $12 a month, I now have MLB Network and BBC America.

On the one channel, I can now watch more baseball.

On the other, I can now watch Doctor Who without having to pay download fees to iTunes.

But which channel is which?
Baseball would be on the MLB network, as MLB stands for "Major League Baseball."

Meanwhile, Doctor Who has aired on BBC for over 50 years, so it stands to reason that he'll be watching Doctor Who on BBC America. It also wouldn't make much sense for the MLB network to air Doctor Who, as they try to keep their programming baseball-related.

Baseball would be on the MLB network, as MLB stands for "Major League Baseball."

Meanwhile, Doctor Who has aired on BBC for over 50 years, so it stands to reason that he'll be watching Doctor Who on BBC America. It also wouldn't make much sense for the MLB network to air Doctor Who, as they try to keep their programming baseball-related.
I'm pretty sure MLB stands for Most Likely British, where they show programming that everyone agrees is most likely British.

Meanwhile, BBC is the Boring Baseball Channel.

The victory is that we've encouraged our daughter to enter a local art show. She and I are already volunteering at the show serving tea and cookies, but I had hoped that she would exhibit some of her work. I think she's fantastic. She already has expressed interest in attending art school, so getting used to displaying her art would be good for her.

So that's the win. The scary part is that I said that I would enter with her! We don't have an I'm scared thread though.

I think my Greninja picture is done. I still need to get all the crud off the paper, but he's done. I'm a pretty harsh critic of my own work and I had to put the picture away earlier so I would stop fussing with it.

I would welcome any advice you guys might have for getting coloured pencil fingerprints and assorted cruds off the paper.

I will be using tracing paper or something to protect my drawings going forward. When I use regular pencils only, it's no big deal because I can erase away the cruds but this is proving more difficult. I may be left with layers of white pencil or taking my soft pastels and making a soft, smudgy background.