Minor victory thread

New iPhone! Its big and has good resolution and I'm not using my 4s anymore and I love it.

I'm a little terrified until Tuesday when my case is getting here though.

I applied to and got accepted as a contributor to iStock last year and didn't do much after. The other week when I couldn't sleep, I logged in to find that I had made some sales. I decided to make an effort and upload a bunch of pictures and build a proper portfolio. It must be my turn in the queue tonight because they are going through my pictures and so far the only rejection I have is due to a possible copyright issue. I submitted a picture of a statue and its a fair concern.

I'm super excited! I know this is no guarantee that I will make any further sales but its nice to have them like and accept my work :)

GasBandit

Staff member
So my most problematic salesperson got me a christmas present to make up for all the times I've had to stay late fixing his malarkey. And it's a pretty good present - Grand Theft Auto V. I had planned to wait to buy it until it was 20 bucks on steam, but now I guess I don't have to!

One complication, however.. he bought me a physical copy of the game. Yes, apparently they DO still sell physical copies of PC games! I don't see a steam key in the box anywhere, but I do see SEVEN DVDs. I guess I need to scrounge up a DVDROM, because my gaming machine doesn't have one because physical media? Who uses physical media any more? WELP.

Spoiler alert: disc seven is corrupted near the end.[DOUBLEPOST=1450803918,1450803874][/DOUBLEPOST]Reminds me of people trying to install Windows 95 using 3.5" floppy disks.

Cajungal

Staff member
My poor mom just had the biggest scare. She got a call from the security company saying the fire alarm was going off. Turns out she just left the gumbo on, and the only thing that needs to be replaced is ingredients. The firemen only beat us by a few seconds, so we got to open the door as well. Thank goodness!

My poor mom just had the biggest scare. She got a call from the security company saying the fire alarm was going off. Turns out she just left the gumbo on, and the only thing that needs to be replaced is ingredients. The firemen only beat us by a few seconds, so we got to open the door as well. Thank goodness!
That happened once when I was on vacation in Vegas (I live in Texas) thankfully I gave my mom a key. no idea what caused the alarm to go off though.

Reminds me of people trying to install Windows 95 using 3.5" floppy disks.
Hey now I've had to do that.
Ha! I call bogus.
I mean, if it was legitimate, it wouldn't have been 1713 HD floppies, it would've been on 1469 DMF floppies.

Also, Gas, once you've finished installing, you might want to just create a set of .ISOs and keep 'em handy...assuming you don't have an easier way of "creating" those seven .ISOs, that is.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Hey now I've had to do that.

Ha! I call bogus.
I mean, if it was legitimate, it wouldn't have been 1713 HD floppies, it would've been on 1469 DMF floppies.

Also, Gas, once you've finished installing, you might want to just create a set of .ISOs and keep 'em handy...assuming you don't have an easier way of "creating" those seven .ISOs, that is.

--Patrick
Well, push comes to shove, I can always just pirate it.

I have one of the old Diablos around I'm sure.

Steam/Adobe CC etc is the best!
I have original Diablo, Diablo II and LoD CDs lying around, and Dungeon Keeper, and KOTOR I and II,... I only stopped buying stuff physically when most games turned out to be a 5MB Steam installer. -_-

I thought these days most physical copies just had a launcher that then downloads the game from Steam/Origin/Whathaveyou. Quite surprising.

Rockstar doesn't like doing Steam keys in their physical copies. Because they are lame. It would make more sense if you couldn't get the game on Steam...but you can.

GasBandit

Staff member
Rockstar doesn't like doing Steam keys in their physical copies. Because they are lame. It would make more sense if you couldn't get the game on Steam...but you can.
I've long been irritated with rockstar for their stubborn insistence on their own multiplayer platform (Rockstar Social Club) when Steamworks is a perfectly viable and largely superior way to go in most cases.

I bought everything physical whenever possible so I would never have to worry about the game publisher going out of business or something. I have discs for MoO 1/2, AoE 1/2/3, Diablo 1/2/3, WarCraft 1/2/2b/3, and many, many more. I even have this disc kicking around somewhere.

Also, guess what else we did today?
IMG_1920.GIF

(those are from my phone's less-than-capable Wifi, we actually went from 8.0↓/0.8↑ to 64↓/4↑)

--Patrick