Minor victory thread

Last month, Amazon changed their KDP Select program. That's where you can borrow a book for free if you have Prime or Kindle Unlimited. They paid authors based on a fund that they roll out every month.

So, the way the program used to work is that if someone borrowed your book and read 10% of it, you got a "full share" of the fund. This made it easy for people to game the marketplace by putting out a ton of short (10-20 page) erotica, childrens books, etc. If people opened your book and turned to the 2nd page (and who doesn't ever make it to the 2nd page?), you got paid. For someone with a novel, like mine, I wouldn't get paid until at least 20-30 pages were read.

The way the program works since July is that you get paid on number of pages read (which is normalized based on characters per page) rather than a blanket full share after 10%.

I always said that this would be great for long-form writing (novels, etc) that could really hook a reader and keep them engaged. It was going to be absolutely terrible for short-form writers like erotica.

After looking at the number of pages read for July it looks like I'll be making about five times as much in book-borrow royalties than I've made in the past--and for the first time, my book borrow payments are going to be roughly equal to my book sale payments.

Now only if it were enough for me to quit my job--that would have put this post in the major victory thread ;)

Last month, Amazon changed their KDP Select program. That's where you can borrow a book for free if you have Prime or Kindle Unlimited. They paid authors based on a fund that they roll out every month.

So, the way the program used to work is that if someone borrowed your book and read 10% of it, you got a "full share" of the fund. This made it easy for people to game the marketplace by putting out a ton of short (10-20 page) erotica, childrens books, etc. If people opened your book and turned to the 2nd page (and who doesn't ever make it to the 2nd page?), you got paid. For someone with a novel, like mine, I wouldn't get paid until at least 20-30 pages were read.

The way the program works since July is that you get paid on number of pages read (which is normalized based on characters per page) rather than a blanket full share after 10%.

I always said that this would be great for long-form writing (novels, etc) that could really hook a reader and keep them engaged. It was going to be absolutely terrible for short-form writers like erotica.

After looking at the number of pages read for July it looks like I'll be making about five times as much in book-borrow royalties than I've made in the past--and for the first time, my book borrow payments are going to be roughly equal to my book sale payments.

Now only if it were enough for me to quit my job--that would have put this post in the major victory thread ;)
On the other hand, doesn't paying per page lead to the opposite of wheel of time wise extending the story forever? I mean, definitely better than the old system but not necessarily ideal...

On the other hand, doesn't paying per page lead to the opposite of wheel of time wise extending the story forever? I mean, definitely better than the old system but not necessarily ideal...
While some authors may pad their books to get more page reads, I think it won't work out for them in the end. People will just stop reading if a story gets too tedious. The Wheel of Time had a strong following in its day, but fiction has grown a lot since then. Just as it has grown since the time of Tolkien.

Today's readers have a much more sophisticated expectation about their fiction. I just don't think that too many modern readers will put up with so much description and exposition, and will give up.

But even if I'm wrong, a 600 page book takes a heck of a lot more work than a 50 page book. It only seems fair that the longer-work authors get paid more if a reader makes it all the way through. It's irked me for quite a while that my mead book, which took me a weekend to write, was out-earning my novels, simply because they were both being paid on the same scale. The mead book is earning far less now, and the novels far more. I think that's a more equitable balance.

There's a Pleasure Craft Operator's Card - which is what I just finished, and was pretty simple, just long and dull. Mostly common sense, some specifics about signals, etc. Specifically, later this month I'm learning to skipper a sailboat.
When you said this, I pictured something like this:
(spoilered for size, should be entirely SFW)

L4dpg131.jpg

GasBandit

Staff member
You know, work is a lot nicer now that I have the stress of football prep behind me. Sure, my underling the traffic director is going to be pulling her hair out until January, but for me, sailing just got a lot smoother.

Mom's shoulder surgery is done. Doc called it the worst one he's ever seen (there was a worry that there wouldn't be enough joint to even work with.) So he wants to keep her in the hospital an extra day or two. Expected to be home Thursday or Friday if she doesn't get moved to the Healthsouth rehab facility.

Cajungal

Staff member
Working in a homeroom class is a lot less stressful so far. I like it. Feels a lot more stable. I feel bad for the new science teacher. She's not only teaching 6th grade math like I was, but she's also being made to work in the library during about half of her planning time. Glad it's not me. I helped her prepare for a meeting in which she'll try to get some of that time back. Hope she gets it.

The new job is with a lot of really chill people. I'll likely handle as many calls in a week as I used to do in a day. But I can't wear tennis shoes any longer, and the internet is behind a barracuda firewall.

So I'll have to get a better smart phone if I want to fuck off.

GasBandit

Staff member
The new job is with a lot of really chill people. I'll likely handle as many calls in a week as I used to do in a day. But I can't wear tennis shoes any longer, and the internet is behind a barracuda firewall.

So I'll have to get a better smart phone if I want to fuck off.
Or VPN out.

Also, my wrist is swollen, bruised and super sore. I was concerned with how badly it hurt through all the medication I'm on. Got it checked today. Just sprained thank goodness. Hurts like a %$#@! but there really isn't much the doctor could do as I am already prescribed to a smorgasbord of stuff.

So the place which I was working as a temp called the home and emailed me to tell me there is a position opening up at their company for an accountant. This is really weird for me as I'm quite happy at my new position and wouldn't dream of leaving these great people at a huge deficit since the guy training me had his last day a week ago. It is great to know I'm wanted as an employee though, and even better knowing that two a little more than two months out they are still thinking of me.

Minor victory achieved. Still, though, I am concerned. I'm hoping my former co-worker is doing ok as she had gone for back surgery and I'd really hate for anything to go wrong for her.

My new bosses seem to be grooming me for another promotion within a few months. That means another raise, that is as large as the one I just received. Or they may just be training me so I can train my next 'boss.'

I got a super cheap 50mm lens to fit my full frame! I want to take super long exposures of constellations and my 35mm is too heavy when on my mount and pointed straight up and I'd like to be able to get a closer shot of a single constellation.

I just bribed the kids to pose for some portraits to test it out....please be ok quality for being so cheap....please let us have clear skies soon!

fade

Staff member
I love my 50mm. It's my favorite lens. Though I'm pretty partial to my 75-300 mm. It just does something to golden hour light that is deeeelicious. I slap that baby in 75 mm and use it like a prime.

I got some great portraits of the kids with it last night. If we get a clear-ish sky tonight I will test it for star work.

My favourite for night pictures is my fast 35mm but it's a heavy beast.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, almost done with my vocational education. Will get quite a good position after I graduate. Will be forced to move half across Germany thogh.
So, like, an hour away? 2 maybe? :p

IIRC Germany's about the size of New Mexico.

Down hyar in Texas we done call that a "mornin' commute," hombre.

Reactions: Dei
I spent 25 hours driving from Colorado to my parent's house and that was basically halfway across my country, so shush!

So, like, an hour away? 2 maybe? :p

IIRC Germany's about the size of New Mexico.

Down hyar in Texas we done call that a "mornin' commute," hombre.
Crossing Germany takes about 9, 10 hours, without stops, without traffic. Don't exaggerate. Though, yes, in terms of surface area, the two are similar (Germany's a bit bigger).

By the same measure, crossing Texas the long way (El Paso -> Texarkana) takes 11h30.

I routinely do the almost 600 mile trip between Columbus, Ohio and Atlanta, Georgia. If you were to drive non-stop, it takes about 8 and a half hours. If you're doing rest stops, it usually ends up more like 12.

Wisconsin's about five-six hours from Superior to Kenosha. A lot of the problem is that the rolling hills make it a longer drive than you'd think. And we've got that lovely glacial ridge that essentially separates the populated part of the state from the rest of it (hint: guess where I live - no, that's where I used to live).