Minor victory thread

I like how the first "snack" listed is bacon. Just bacon. I am intrigued, but not enough to be bothered to go to Wisconsin.

A Bartalotta Restaurant. That means two things: the food is fantastic, and your wallet is going to be much lighter afterwards.

I'm more exhausted than I thought. I missed the "for" and thought I had flashed into a Twilight Zone episode.

What would you serve with Queen of the Doomweasels?

So I have one day to work before I have a week long vacation of nothing to do, maybe a little Christmas shopping, a nice meal or two and some grocery shopping in a better area to coupon... but I have 3 days of work piled up on pallets in the back room of work.

So I have one day to work before I have a week long vacation of nothing to do, maybe a little Christmas shopping, a nice meal or two and some grocery shopping in a better area to coupon... but I have 3 days of work piled up on pallets in the back room of work.
Can of gasoline and a match gets rid of all your problems.

A Bartalotta Restaurant. That means two things: the food is fantastic, and your wallet is going to be much lighter afterwards.
You were right on both counts. The food was fantastic. I had pork shoulder with maple glaze (not that thick, disgusting glaze but a light glaze), sweet potatoes, and broccoli spears. I paired it with Founder's Breakfast Stout (on tap!), followed by Central Waters Call Me 'Ol Fashioned (which was really good, one of the best Wisconsin beers I've had). Finished with Vonda Brown's Sticky Toffee Pudding, which was excellent. All in all a wonderful experience.

And god damn it, I'm impressed with the food in Milwaukee lately!

GasBandit

Staff member
My TV's sound may have died, but I figured out a no-cost way (meaning I had everything on hand already) to mount my Nexus 7 tablet to the top of my headboard, face down toward the pillow. It's smarter than any TV, 720p, and takes up as much visible area as a 50"! Who needs a TV?

My TV's sound may have died, but I figured out a no-cost way (meaning I had everything on hand already) to mount my Nexus 7 tablet to the top of my headboard, face down toward the pillow. It's smarter than any TV, 720p, and takes up as much visible area as a 50"! Who needs a TV?
U2rrx.jpg

--Patrick

Jun got her business class ticket and should be on the way to her gate. Can....can I go to sleep now?

*looks at clock*

No?....

Cajungal

Staff member
We do a secret teacher mailbox gift exchange every Thanksgiving. Someone starts it, and then you have yo pass a gift along to 2 other teachers. Someone left me a chocolate cupcake. Yaaaay

I am officially a substitute. Got my first background check done and was given a quick rundown of how things work. Right now I'm on the list to sub for the teacher's assistants, but I plan to add myself to the regular teacher sub list once I am more comfortable.

So...any suggestions since I've never subbed or taught a class? This would be for preschool through 4th grade, btw.

GasBandit

Staff member
So...any suggestions since I've never subbed or taught a class? This would be for preschool through 4th grade, btw.
When disarming someone brandishing a pistol at you at close range, use a quick crossways grab to the outside of the hand and follow through to push the gun against their body. Don't go for the inside of the forearm to push the gun wide, as reflex tightening of the fingers make an accidental discharge more likely in that scenario, plus the wrist can generally pivot more toward the inside than outside.

Don't be ridiculous. These are 4th graders. They're more likely to use shivs made from plastic spoons and safety scissors than pistols.

Cajungal

Staff member
I am officially a substitute. Got my first background check done and was given a quick rundown of how things work. Right now I'm on the list to sub for the teacher's assistants, but I plan to add myself to the regular teacher sub list once I am more comfortable.

For the older ones, diversion can be more effective than correction when they are being forgivably childish. Complaints and drifting off task can be curbed for many with attention and an enthusiastic question.

Example, "stop daydreaming" isn't as effective as kneeling beside them and saying, "so tell me about your strategy," or "I'm curious about how you're solving this problem; did you do the same thing that I did?" Or "who's your favorite character in ___?"

Also, the 3rd and 4th graders I teach love to talk...even if it's not about something fun, being really heard by adults is a luxury for children. At the end of class, we circle up and I ask them to come up with a personal grade for how well they listened/practiced safety rules/worked as a team/some other specific thing, and why they chose that grade. Giving them a safe place to self-evaluate without the threat of punishment is empowering.

Also, the 3rd and 4th graders I teach love to talk...even if it's not about something fun, being really heard by adults is a luxury for children.
It's funny that you say this because I saw it for myself recently (other than with my own kids). Last Thursday I was in Noah's classroom for a party they threw their teacher. There is a 3rd grader who sits at Noah's table that the teachers all regard as being more than a little odd. Sweet, but he could use some help with social skills. At any rate, after the party was over I hung out in the classroom since I still had 30 minutes until Lily was dismissed. This boy was hovering around his chair and seemed unsure of what to do with me sitting in Noah's seat, so I asked him a question about the party. It lead to a 20 minute conversation about new inventions. The teacher's assistant in the room even commented to me that she couldn't believe how much he was talking.