Minor victory thread

Oh, that eye exam? Didn't happen. They're booked until the 25th.

Which is just after the next payday, which should have even more OT on it. :)

I wasn't a terrible math teacher today.
I had a master teacher who gave me some great advice:

When you're teaching a new subject, don't try too hard or beat yourself up. Aim to make one great lesson plan per week, and just do the basics for the other days. Eventually you'll build up a repertoire, and that's how most of the best teachers start.

You're doing great. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Good effing God I could never run for an hour straight
I couldn't either, but I can walk a long ways. I've walked just under 25miles in about 5-1/2 hours before. My feet hurt for about a month afterwards because I was using lousy shoes, though.

I hate, hate running (as a fitness tool). I will frequently run short distances because it is faster than walking, but if I need to go any substantial distance in a hurry without the aid of some sort of motor, that's what bicycles were made for.

--Patrick

I ran the Greater Clarksburg 10K in 2001 and 2002. Two laps of a 5K course. My main goal was not to get lapped by the Kenyans (for a small town, the race drew some big name runners). Finished in just under an hour and achieved my goal. :)

Went to a concert Wednesday and I didn't have a panic attack! :D The last couple I've been to, I've been sucked into a mosh pit and panicked, but not the other day! I'm so proud of myself. The concert was a lot of fun and having a bunch of friends around helped, but I'm feeling pretty good about it.

(It also probably helped that the crowd was much more gentle than what I've been to in the past.)

Last edited:
I was given some tickets to this weekend's Texan game. I invited my brother. He is taking his daughter off to her first day of college the next day. So he asks, "When will the game be over?" My reply, "Before half-time."

Since the Texans look terrible this year, free tickets to a preseason game, is only a minor victory.

Hey now. It's an NFL game, even if the players on the field after halftime look more like community college squads.

Minor win: I am now making 22.5 cents more an hour. This translates to $18 extra per pay period.

That'll get me about... oh, 140 miles down the road every week. :/

Had a great sandwich last night--steak, caramelized onions, gorgonzola.

Also, great Tori Amos concert. We're in her hometown area, and whenever she does a show here, her parents are in the audience and she's usually more reserved compared to her show elsewhere. I think she realized that last night, because she brought it up after the first song and was her more talkative and giddy self, which was cool. Maybe she was having a disagreement with her father; he's a pastor and a couple of the songs from her catalog seemed chosen specifically to get under his skin. I don't know; it was more fun this time even though my wife and I hadn't been exactly excited. We were glad we did it; we needed a nice night out.

Maybe. Each of us met four other halforumites. Someone else around here might have met more, just not at the same time. Of course if any one of us in that group met someone else, then I suppose they've hold the record.

Maybe I should stalk @Fun Size...
I've met 4... Tegid, Silver Jelly, Denbrought, and Wahad, but not all at the same time. Frank and I live in the same city but have never crossed paths, so far as I know.

I just found out that the HR department at my workplace messed up the calculation of my vacation days last year and this year, in that I was told I had ten fewer vacation days last year than I actually had, while this year I'd thought I'd used up all my vacation days when I actually have seven more. This means they're going to give me some extra money for depriving me of my rightful vacation days from last year, while I also have a week's worth of days off to plan now, before the end of the year.

Yay. :D

I made some more awesome shirts over the weekend! :D

Cowboy Bebop

FLCL

FLCL Workout shirt

Sword Art Online - Fabric Paint

Sword Art Online - Bleach Stencil (it bled a little :( )

fade

Staff member
Tested for my 2nd kyu rank in Shotokan karate this past weekend. I think it went well. Only 1st kyu, then 1st degree black belt.

This dojo is quite strict. It's SKIF, and the senseis are 6th and 4th degree black belts. I failed my 3rd kyu the first time I took it (which was the first test I ever failed). I'm mildly terrified of the black belt test. It's only open once a year when the big sensei comes in from Tokyo for our annual summer camp.

Tested for my 2nd kyu rank in Shotokan karate this past weekend. I think it went well. Only 1st kyu, then 1st degree black belt.

This dojo is quite strict. It's SKIF, and the senseis are 6th and 4th degree black belts. I failed my 3rd kyu the first time I took it (which was the first test I ever failed). I'm mildly terrified of the black belt test. It's only open once a year when the big sensei comes in from Tokyo for our annual summer camp.
Man, that reminds me of when I was stuck at first kyu in kendo for ages, because the gap between first kyu and shodan is massive.